Question about AK charging methods

PDA

Evcity
February 16, 2009, 03:19 PM
Why is it that you shouldn't move your firing (right) hand forwards to operate the bolt? The rifle is empty until you charge it anyway, so why not use your right hand to ready the weapon while securing it with your supporting hand and shoulder pocket? This seems more logical to me, especially in a close encounter where leaving the muzzle hanging out unsupported would be a bad idea.

Any thoughts?

If you enjoyed reading about "Question about AK charging methods" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
briansmithwins
February 16, 2009, 03:29 PM
I run my AK at local matches. I pretty much use the M1/M14 method: left hand supports weapon while right hand secures fresh mag and runs bolt.

The 'never move your firing hand' thing is mostly a AR affectation.

Found the video I was thinking of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONXeqTHHCfA

Notice where he wants you you to keep your hand. My wife says most of what he's saying is 1,2,3...

BSW

RP88
February 16, 2009, 03:30 PM
I never really knew there was an efficient method to reloading and chambering an AK unless you were left-handed. Either way from right-handed handling, you either have to move the gun in a way or your trigger hand in a way that you basically move the rifle off your shoulder...or have to pull your hand back to the trigger. It's not an AR.

benEzra
February 16, 2009, 05:03 PM
I prefer to reach under the rifle with my left hand and slap the charging handle with my left palm or index finger; that way my right hand stays on the grip, the rifle stays shouldered (no moving required, though you can rotate it if you want), and I don't have to switch hands when reloading (since one generally reloads with the left hand).

Reload with retention of the spent magazine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KarGaRSWX4M

Reload without retention of the spent mag (if you have to really, really reload in a hurry; I use this technique in matches):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz5LPaMhlOc&feature=related (warning, cheesy music)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7hi20TI_jA&feature=related (he does a malfunction drill, then an immediate mag change)

And another malfunction drill by guy #2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQEW74OMQjM&feature=related

Gunfighter123
February 16, 2009, 05:07 PM
In a very bad situation , you would want to reload BEFORE you run the AK empty ----- learning to use the left hand would let you be able to use the one shot in the chamber.

I see where AK users are useing the left hand to pull a new mag , useing that mag to hit the mag release and the mag in the gun out , then reaching under the rifle to pull the bolt back if need be.

Do a search on youtube for AK reload and you will see a few ways to do it.

BenEzra ---- ya beat me to it !!!!!

9mmepiphany
February 16, 2009, 11:20 PM
if you look at some of the clips, you'll see that the short AK stock that folks complain about is really very helpful in urban combat.

i was taught, by a contractor returning from the sandbox, to attivate the charging handle with the edge of my left hand...either over the top or under.

it is just as fast as the AR...just different. you still have to take an AR off your shoulder to pull the cocking handle back

WardenWolf
February 16, 2009, 11:23 PM
If you're left handed, you have to be damn sure of where your right hand ends up before you pull the trigger. My right thumb has mostly healed from where the bolt handle tore off a large chunk of skin.

Guitargod1985
February 17, 2009, 01:11 AM
you still have to take an AR off your shoulder to pull the cocking handle back

Only the first time the weapon is charged, or to assess/clear malfunctions.

If you're doing simple reload after a mag has been expended, you change the mag and hit the bolt catch.

When doing a tactical reload, change the magazine.

No need for the charging handle at all.

HorseSoldier
February 17, 2009, 01:41 AM
The AK's controls are laid out to favor the right/firing hand coming off the weapon to manipulate them. This kind of creates a tension for a lot of shooters between running the weapon with the firing hand and making quick manipulations and using the left hand for more awkward movements. I'd say its debatable if breaking your firing grip is a bad thing with an AK if a shooter can do things significantly faster right handed -- trigger finger ready for action on a dry gun for, say, 1.5 seconds seems less practical than trigger finger out of the picture for 0.5 seconds (numbers pulled at random).

With practice the left hand manipulations can usually be as quick as the right hand -- it just takes practice to get it worked out. Strangely, the main place where the AK loses to the AR (in my opinion/experience) is on mag changes, where it is at its most ambidextrous.

trigga
February 17, 2009, 01:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kqfsukN6CE
and....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXmmojtgDC0
watch: 2:27, .65 secs LOL!!!

9mmepiphany
February 17, 2009, 02:12 AM
Strangely, the main place where the AK loses to the AR (in my opinion/experience) is on mag changes, where it is at its most ambidextrous.

are you refering to the the "ambidextrous" AK paddle as opposed to the one sided button on the AR?

expvideo
February 17, 2009, 02:42 AM
The AK was designed to be charged with the right hand. There is absolutely nothing wrong with doing so. In my opinion, doing it any other way is gimmicky.

MD_Willington
February 17, 2009, 02:42 AM
stand by the guy with the RPK... works everytime.. LOL

benEzra
February 17, 2009, 12:23 PM
The AK was designed to be charged with the right hand. There is absolutely nothing wrong with doing so. In my opinion, doing it any other way is gimmicky.
To paraphrase a cliche, if it's gimmicky and it works, it's not gimmicky. Charging, reloading, and chamber checking with the left hand is just as sure as with the right hand, and usually quicker (in my experience), particularly when reloading.

WRT the safety, the AK safety was not intended to be constantly flicked on and off, but to be flicked off and left off for the duration of an engagement. You can always install a Krebs-style safety (operated with the trigger fnger) if you want to run it fast, though.

AR's aren't configured and run today the way Eugene Stoner originally envisioned them, either.

WardenWolf
February 17, 2009, 12:24 PM
I don't consider Eugene Stoner's last name to be a coincidence, for the record.

heron
February 17, 2009, 01:30 PM
If you're left handed, you have to be damn sure of where your right hand ends up before you pull the trigger. My right thumb has mostly healed from where the bolt handle tore off a large chunk of skin.Haha, I learned that too, just last week -- I just got stung a little, though, and was okay after a few minutes, but I know it could have been a lot worse. You were lucky too; I don't doubt that thing could sprain, dislocate, or break your thumb.

9mmepiphany
February 17, 2009, 03:05 PM
the AK safety was not intended to be constantly flicked on and off, but to be flicked off and left off for the duration of an engagement.

good observation, this is often overlooked when comparing the 2 platforms. much like some folks not understanding why the lever (on select fire versions) go to full auto before single shot (the oposite of Western designs)...it's just a different design intent

WardenWolf
February 17, 2009, 03:24 PM
You were lucky too; I don't doubt that thing could sprain, dislocate, or break your thumb.

Nah, it can't break my thumb, or most of my other fingers. Or even sprain or dislocate it. Most of them have been similarly bit at one time or another. Granted, my hands are unusually durable. I've had all manner of things happen to them, yet never broken a bone or sprained / dislocated a finger. And I've seen people break fingers from lesser things. Hands are one of those funny things: I've heard of people have fingers broken from paintball hits, yet I don't even wear gloves when I play.

This time, I think I hurt myself bad enough to learn my lesson for a long while. I had a deep chunk of skin missing on the side of my thumb that was over 1/4 inch long and nearly 1/4 inch wide. Yeah, ouch. Fortunately it healed well enough after 4 or 5 days that I didn't need a bandage anymore.

KBintheSLC
February 17, 2009, 04:22 PM
I run my AK at local matches. I pretty much use the M1/M14 method: left hand supports weapon while right hand secures fresh mag and runs bolt.

The 'never move your firing hand' thing is mostly a AR affectation.

I agree... charging an AR is much easier to do with your left hand than it is on an AK... and AK on the other hand is best charged with the right hand... IMO of course.

I think you should do whatever you can do the fastest.

priler
February 17, 2009, 05:06 PM
before i even got my first AK i envisioned reloading and charging with my left hand but once i actually had it in my hands,i instinctually used a different method.i support rifle with left hand and apply a slight back pressure and change mag and charge with right.i also reach for the fresh mag first and use it to dump the spent one.that's amazingly effective and quick.it flies right out of there.

i don't think there's only one method for all.what ever works for you is best.i also agree that in a fire fight,if you have the time,you should try to reload before your empty.

i have found that using my left for reload, the rifle tends to drop a little and getting it back on target is about equal(for me)as finding the trigger with my right,time wise....but what ever floats your boat.

....and the safety?..what safety? keep your booger finger of the trigger and always treat it as a loaded and ready to fire weapon.that's my idea of safety.at home,my AK has a loaded mag and does NOT have one in the chamber or it's in the safe.maybe if i used it for hunting i would have it across my chest with a thumb on the safety.

If you enjoyed reading about "Question about AK charging methods" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!