What's in a name?

PDA

WheelMan
October 2, 2003, 06:51 PM
...Does a Government by any other name shoot as straight?

I recently purchased a semi-compact Desert Eagle in .40 S&W. The all steel version. I am really happy with this gun, easily my favorite of all I and my buddies own, and the best pointing of any auto I've handled (granted I haven't handled them all).

Anyway, I've had to endure many jokes about it being a "baby eagle," I always point out that the word "baby" does not appear on the weapon anywhere, and then procede to shoot the center out of the 10 ring, that usually shuts them up. (I've decided to call it a Jericho, just to distance myself from that baby buisness :) )

So how important is the name of a firearm to you? Obviously if they made the 100% reliable, half pound, garanteed perp stopper and called it the "pretty in pink" I'd still buy and carry one (even if it had lace, I wouldn't like it, but I figure who's going to give you trouble after you explain what it does?) But on some level does the name of a gun somtimes steer you towards or away from a certain weapon, espically things we buy as "fun guns?"

Names I Like:

Blackhawk
Redhawk
Witness
Patriot and Warbird (cartridges)
Defender
Desert Eagle
Raging Bull (okay kinda corny, but still impressive sounding)
and the one to beat all:

Mossburg 590A1 or "Persuader" What other name so captures the purpose of the weapon?

Names I don't like:

X-treme Duty (don't even get me started)

If you enjoyed reading about "What's in a name?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hkmp5sd
October 2, 2003, 06:53 PM
I always refer to my Glock 27 as a Baby Glock.

jsalcedo
October 2, 2003, 06:57 PM
I'll be getting a Star BM soon....

Does that answer your question?

WheelMan
October 2, 2003, 06:59 PM
Star BM.... never thought about that, that's pretty funny actually.

Nothing like Gun related potty humor, I'll remind you of shooting chorony's "master beta" model.

Black Snowman
October 2, 2003, 10:09 PM
You left out the "Street Sweeper" and some of my favorites:
The GE GAU-8 "Avenger" (admittedly I'm not picking up an A-10 Thunderbolt II anytime soon).

The GE M134 "Mini" gun (only mini to it's 20 mm father the Vulcan).

I was never a fan of the Baby Eagle name. It was an obvious attempt to latch on to the fame of the Desert Eagle. I thought the Uzi Eagle title was more appropriate but they should have just stuck with the Jericho + model method of naming and saved a lot of brain strain.

Contender is a nice powerful yet unpretentious name.

Let's talk "old school" Colt Peacekeeper. Good name, very fameous. Hi-Power, not bad, descriptive. Dragunov "translates to Dragon" good name I think. More intimidating than SVD. Sounds like an underware company ;)

So what's in a name? Marketing. Doesn't work for everyone. You can take or leave most of them I think. I buy for what's "under the skin" so to speak.

Standing Wolf
October 2, 2003, 11:29 PM
I'll think about buying a plastic gun if it's named the "Cute Fuzzy Baby Bunny Slaughterer."

WheelMan
October 2, 2003, 11:48 PM
How could I have forgot the peacemaker! that's one of the best.

Moparmike
October 3, 2003, 12:21 AM
I want a gun called [begin booming voice] The Cacaphony of Perilous Mayhem Everreaching In Its Powerful and Intimidating Might[/booming]. And it has to be smaller than a Derringer shooting a .17hmr.:D :rolleyes:

That, or a handgun with the same name shooting .50bmg or .700 Nitro Express.:what: :scrutiny: :evil:

Moparmike
October 3, 2003, 12:24 AM
I want a gun called "The Dark Side", because you "dont know the power of the dark side." :D :D :rolleyes:

TheeBadOne
October 3, 2003, 12:24 AM
Lone Eagle

Detritus
October 3, 2003, 12:36 AM
One of my fave gun name metal images is the name given to the reissue of the Ruger Single six in .32H&Rmag with the fixed sight frame... the "Baby Vaquero"

I always got this image of an 18 month old, sitting on some mustang with one of those fancy, mexican saddles... :D

Archie
October 3, 2003, 12:42 AM
Government Model

I've always been a bit partial to that one.

Black Snowman
October 3, 2003, 01:08 AM
Moparmike, I might have to get that engraved on the side of my .50 AE Desert Eagle barrel (which is the cheapo black finish of course) :D

Abominable No-Man
October 3, 2003, 01:29 AM
How about "Hush Puppy"?

Yeah, there was a pistol that was called that........why are you laughing?

ANM

Detritus
October 3, 2003, 09:31 AM
How about "Hush Puppy"?

Yeah, there was a pistol that was called that........why are you laughing?

well i know I'M not..... b/c i THINK i remember what it is.....

that's the really good suppressed BHP isn't it??

as in supress a Browning High Power and it becomes a Browning Hush Puppy

or at least that's what my over stuffed and addled mind seems to recall

clipse
October 3, 2003, 10:03 AM
I have a pa-63 that i call hungry. It likes to eat and well....its a Hungarian pistol.:D

Hkmp5sd
October 3, 2003, 10:04 AM
IIRC, the term came from the suppressed S&W Model 39s the SEALs used in Vietnam. They were designed with a latch to lock the slide closed while shooting so there was no noise at all. The SEAL would manually cycle the action.

Daniel T
October 3, 2003, 10:19 AM
Colt Commander. Has a ring of authority, eh?

Skunkabilly
October 3, 2003, 10:21 AM
Not important to me at all, but I find a lot of names cheesy. It won't keep me from buying it though. I think Wilson Tactical Super Grade takes the cake.

Brian Dale
October 3, 2003, 12:26 PM
The Remington "Targetmaster," made from 1939 to 1962. Kind of a pompous, dorky name, but it's a nice .22 rifle in spite of that. I just call it a Remington 510.

On the other hand, I like the sound of the name, "Wingmaster."

To me, "Izhmash" sounds like "mish-mash" (not good), but their products speak for themselves. "Biathlon" (the .22) is a great name; I can buy one, or a Biathlon Basic, and pretend that I'm still a serious athlete. :p There's not much skiing in this part of North Carolina, but I can always do the "redneck biathlon," and run through the woods with it.

And the old Colt "Dragoon" - for a heavy horse pistol, there's that "ring of authority" again.

The words "Detective Special" and "Dick Special" always made me think of Dick Tracy, a standard in the Sunday comics when I was a kid. The Hardy Boys' dad must have had one, too.

And we studly guys with no doubts about our masculinity can carry a "LadySmith" without consternation. I want one. :D

Abominable No-Man
October 3, 2003, 12:39 PM
I like the ring of the S&W ".45 Recon", too.

Let's see if there are others I can think of.

Ruger (.44 Magnum) "Deerslayer"
Ithaca M37 "Deerslayer"
Browning "Buckmark"
S&W "Combat Masterpiece"
Colt "Commando" (not sure if that is an actual name or a nickname...)
S&W "Chief's Special" (well, maybe not....)
Dan Wesson "Pointman"
Dan Wesson "Aircrew"
Detonics "Combatmaster" (I think......?)

ANM

BrokenPaw
October 3, 2003, 12:39 PM
Olympic Arms yclept their post-ban AR -15s "PCR"s (for Politically Correct Rifle). I like that.

I'm thinking of inscribing "Fluffykins 4000" on my AR.

-BP

Brian Dale
October 3, 2003, 12:56 PM
The name "Rock Island Arsenal" just sings of American industrial might, when that meant huge numbers of the finest products the world had ever known, milled from forged billets of high-grade steel by skilled machinists.

1903s, Garands, Trapdoors and others: the name "Springfield Armory" brings to mind Revolutionary War images, and the wars of the 1800's, and American ingenuity, honesty and pure goals. The company who bought the rights to the name knew a good thing when they saw it.

ANM: there was a WWII revolver called a Colt Commando - they made it with 4" and with snubbie barrels, maybe on an Official Police frame? There's an example at http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976141666.htm
Also another handgun in the 1980's called the "Commando Special" and I'm guessing that it's like this: http://www.simpsonltd.com/D3976.htm .
AND a shorty M-16, Model 733; later than the CAR-15 & XM-177. Shown at http://world.guns.ru/assault/as50-e.htm

Matt G
October 3, 2003, 01:15 PM
"Tommy Gun" always sounded more friendly than the serious nature that the Thompson variants should evoke, IMHO.

I must admit that the whole concept of the new rifle that Remington put out in the mid '90's with a factory heavy barrel in 26", with a pre-bedded kevlar stock in magnum calibers for making lonnng shots enchanted me. It's name also beguiled me. "Sendero" is Spanish for "long path", or cuts through the brush on which S. Texans often hunt. I got a second job to buy mine. (And went by "Long Path" on T.F.L.)

4v50 Gary
October 3, 2003, 04:23 PM
"Brown Bess" - would that be the first name given to a firearm? They were generally called "firelocks" in giving commands.

clipse
October 3, 2003, 04:45 PM
Colt Commander. Has a ring of authority, eh?

My father-in-law was talking about using his Colt Combat Commander as a CCW. His girlfriend goes,"Combat Commander?!?!?!?!? Thats sounds like some type of GI Joe toy or something. You want to intimadate someone with a 'Combat Commander'? *laughs*".

Then my father-in-law just look at each other and then at her and start laughing histarically. It was too funny.:D

clipse

If you enjoyed reading about "What's in a name?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!