Winchester M54 Experts?

PDA

Snood Dewlap
February 17, 2009, 12:07 AM
I looked a M54 Carbine today that I'm interested in. My only reservation is that the stock seems to have been shortened. I had the original steel but plate, but the wood semms just a little proud (<1/16") to the butt plate. I found a reference that says the RIFLE stocks had length of pull of 13 1/2 ". This carbine has a LOP of 13". I wondering if the carbines used a different LOP than the rifles?

This gun has moderate wear with some bluing gone from the barrel and action, and the stock finish is thin in most places. It was built in 1928 and has a Marbles M20 aperture sight installed. Price is $600. Reasonable if the stock has been shortened 1/2" .

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester M54 Experts?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Snood Dewlap
February 17, 2009, 01:52 PM
Anybody?????

Horsemany
February 17, 2009, 02:06 PM
AFAIK the all had the same LOP carbine or not. That price sounds reasonable but remember it would be for a shooter. Collectors won't touch a cut stock. What caliber?

Snood Dewlap
February 17, 2009, 03:31 PM
Its a 30-06. It would be for a shooter. The original owner scratched his name, town in MT. the year (1928) then made a hash mark for each Deer, elk etc that he killed. Your right. Not collector grade, but an interesting rifle with a history.

Horsemany
February 17, 2009, 04:18 PM
Did he scratch it on the metal or wood? $600 may be a bit high.

freonr22
February 17, 2009, 04:44 PM
you might post over @ gun broker (i know but...) in the forums, bert h is THE winchester guru, i have a 1929 stainless steel 30gov't06 he gave me some nice info on

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester M54 Experts?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!