M1 Garands still in active use in Cuba

PDA

nathan
February 17, 2009, 01:01 AM
This is cool. Notice the Garand in the pic is well maintained. These are Cuban troops preparing for a parade in Havana to celebrate the Cuban revolution. And their AK 47s are spiffy looking too.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc127/Dongha_97/cu-cutie-02.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "M1 Garands still in active use in Cuba" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Arcticfox
February 17, 2009, 01:06 AM
Russian tech, and american tech side by side. Who'd a thunk it :) Better yet, did we really sell Arms to Cuba???

Trebor
February 17, 2009, 01:49 AM
Yeah, we sold arms to Cuba, back before Castro took over.

The Cuban revolution used primarly U.S. arms obtained from various means. I've read that some were provided by the CIA for some reason, but haven't been able to confirm that.

And, of course, there's the arms they captured from the U.S. backed exiles in the Bay of Pigs invasion.

Oh, and don't forget about U.S. arms captured in Vietnam and shipped from Russia to Cuba and other points to help forment revolution in South America.

So, lot's of U.S. weapons in Cuba.

MatthewVanitas
February 17, 2009, 01:53 AM
But are those Garands actually in use, or are they mainly parade rifles? We still have American "paramilitary" units carrying the M1903 around, but it's just as a drill rifle.

Though I understand that in Haiti the M1 Garand is still going strong, alongside all sorts of odd items that have wound up down there.

http://pro.corbis.com/images/TU001359.jpg?size=67&uid={4D129170-9EE0-4D72-BA04-F9F183EB26A6}

MD_Willington
February 17, 2009, 02:44 AM
Pretty much goes to show that WW2 tech still works, just look at their cars and trucks... every thing there is old.

Beagle-zebub
February 17, 2009, 02:55 AM
YES, I too have seen pics of Garands in Haiti. Not much arguing with .30-'06 as fired fast as you can get back on target, is there?

krs
February 17, 2009, 01:58 PM
Nice looking Chickita.

That guy with the Garand sure looks like he's got jungle fatique pants on - and those couldn't have been captured during the Bay of Pigs. They hadn't been adopted then.

Duke of Doubt
February 17, 2009, 02:04 PM
I just saw a nice group of M1 Garands at an interment, Saturday. Probably about five to ten thousand dollars worth of rifle in that honor guard.

Seminole
February 17, 2009, 02:39 PM
This is not to denigrate the Garand (especially since I love mine), but Cubans are experts in keeping all sorts of things running for decades after they would have been superseded by newer models anywhere else. They do it out of necessity--they can't afford to actually buy newer models. Just check out the cars you see driving all around Havana!

GRIZ22
February 17, 2009, 03:24 PM
That guy with the Garand sure looks like he's got jungle fatique pants on - and those couldn't have been captured during the Bay of Pigs. They hadn't been adopted then.

Not our jungle fatiques and the pocket is too low and cut to a point (ours are cut straight across).

Cubans are experts in keeping all sorts of things running for decades after they would have been superseded by newer models anywhere else. They do it out of necessity--they can't afford to actually buy newer models. Just check out the cars you see driving all around Havana!

Communist philosphy is keep it you might need it someday. That's where all those Mosin Nagants, SKSs, and WWII capture K98s, P38s, and Lugers are coming from.

I read an article about the cars in a British magazine a few years ago. Many have Russian tractor engines and are painted with housepaint but they do what they have to as there are so few.

Speedo66
February 17, 2009, 09:18 PM
The ammo belt on the M-1 Cuban guy looks vintage also.

black_powder_Rob
February 17, 2009, 09:35 PM
muy qaliente!!!!

muddywatters
February 17, 2009, 09:43 PM
Cool!

22lr
February 17, 2009, 09:44 PM
Id rather have the garand then the AK, good taste. Nice looking weapon.

burningsquirrels
February 17, 2009, 09:52 PM
i didn't see any rifles, but the lady in the middle is lookin' pretty. :D

priler
February 17, 2009, 10:22 PM
if i were fighting in completely open terrain or in a mountainous region from peak to peak i would prefer to have the M1.if it were jungle or urban or in about 90% of where combat is actually fought,i'd prefer the AK.

if someone were to give me specifically one of those two rifles,i'd take the AK because the M1 is in all likelyhood american but the AK is probably early real russian.i don't mean real russian saiga but real russian AK of 60's era.

then again,i'd prefer the cute chick but i can get that anywhere,including real cuban girls.i'm in florida.cuban girls are just a hope and skip away and i've dated them before but just like any other girls,i would trust an AK more.

burningsquirrels
February 17, 2009, 10:26 PM
^^^ yeah... and upkeep for an AK is cheaper too. :D

Duke of Doubt
February 17, 2009, 10:35 PM
priler: "then again,i'd prefer the cute chick but i can get that anywhere,including real cuban girls.i'm in florida.cuban girls are just a hope and skip away and i've dated them before but just like any other girls,i would trust an AK more."

And then after the date, her Alpha-66 uncle comes around for a little talk. You drink some coffee, you play some dominos, and then you go home and blow up each other's cars. Good clean fun.

rbernie
February 17, 2009, 10:35 PM
Steady, lads. ;)

Eightball
February 17, 2009, 10:40 PM
Any pictures of the Parade? I'm wondering if the Garand or the AK serves as the parade weapon.

Anyone know what the "palace guards" use?

priler
February 17, 2009, 10:49 PM
i'm not sure what all that was about but i'll say it again.confio mas en un AK que en cualquier mujer.

22lr
February 17, 2009, 10:52 PM
Its Cuba, ill bet there mixed in with the AKs, heck I think ive seen pics of M-16s running around but who knows, its Cuba.

Gewehr98
February 17, 2009, 10:58 PM
But isn't she actually carrying an AK-74?

(Bakelite magazine)

jpwilly
February 17, 2009, 11:39 PM
^^^the curvature of the mag looks more like 7.62x39mm

2RCO
February 18, 2009, 12:01 AM
Yeah I was looking at the curvature of the "mag" as well :)

Onmilo
February 18, 2009, 12:05 AM
Remember that old Fidel favored the Winchester Model 70 as his battle weapon of choice and Che was a big fan of the M1 Carbine.

Lots and lots of US weaponry went south during the late 40s to mid 50s,
It isn't at all unusual to see it still in use all through the Gulf of Mexico and down into South America.

SoCalShooter
February 18, 2009, 12:48 AM
Hell I'd take my garand over any commie weapon any damn day of the week.

priler
February 18, 2009, 01:16 AM
the curviture of the mags,no cuts in the wood stock and no famous brake,that's not a 74 and i'd bet it's not a 47,it's an AKM.

so there you have it,two classics.one goes "cla-chung" and the other goes "poing".LOL :)

Gewehr98
February 18, 2009, 02:11 AM
Where do I get red bakelite mags in 7.62x39 for my gaggle of AKs?

Besides Cuba, that is.

(Although I'd volunteer to go rescue our female soldier as seen in the picture...)

REDMASTA
February 18, 2009, 02:42 AM
theres a rifle in that picture?

If you enjoyed reading about "M1 Garands still in active use in Cuba" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!