Picked up a new CZ P 01 today

PDA

JeffDilla
February 17, 2009, 01:04 PM
I just got back from the gun shop, along with my brand new P 01. I've been wanting one of these for a long time now, and today I finally got it. I just wish I had picked it up before CZ raised their prices. Oh well, I'm happy with it. I can't wait to get out and shoot it, though with my schedule as of lately, who knows when that will be :rolleyes:. I'm just doing my part to stimulate the economy ;)
The FNP 45 I wanted to pick up as well was gone, I think I'm going to order one soon though.

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo181/JeffDilla/IMG_0409.jpg

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo181/JeffDilla/IMG_0408.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Picked up a new CZ P 01 today" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
burningsquirrels
February 17, 2009, 01:05 PM
wewt. have fun! :)

Matrix187
February 17, 2009, 01:06 PM
I got one for $450 around christmas ;) It's worth more. So far its 100% reliable, and accurate. Plus, it fits in the hand well

JeffDilla
February 17, 2009, 01:07 PM
Ha! I was expecting a response from you burningsquirrels, I just didn't expect it soon. Now where is armoredman and CZF?? They should be chiming in shortly :D Thanks!

JeffDilla
February 17, 2009, 01:08 PM
I got one for $450 around christmas

Shhh... :)

Geneseo1911
February 17, 2009, 01:42 PM
Nice gun, Jeff. I really like mine; it feels like it was designed just for my hand.

Would you mind telling us what they're going for these days?

gmhamilton3
February 17, 2009, 01:50 PM
I got mine about 3 weeks ago. Test fire date said 14.02.08. Does that mean Feb 02, 08? 200 rds and it was grouping better than the initial test group. Sweet.

burningsquirrels
February 17, 2009, 01:51 PM
14th feb of 08...

JeffDilla
February 17, 2009, 02:08 PM
Geneseo, I paid $609 for mine at my local shop. Probably a little high, in December, they had it for $569 and then CZ raised their prices. I probably could have found some place online and gotten it cheaper, but I really like the guys at my local shop and they've been a huge help to me since I took up an interest in guns last year, so I didn't mind paying the premium. I just got back from wal-mart and bought some blazer brass and WWB, they actually had some in stock.

NG VI
February 17, 2009, 03:25 PM
Think I still see some packing grease residue on it... That stuff is a pain to get off.

Congrats on getting a new CZ, it's too bad the 40Bs aren't around new for $289 anymore or else I bet you'd have one of those within six weeks as well. CZs multiply.

armoredman
February 17, 2009, 04:24 PM
I work graveyard now, just got up!
WAY TO GO! :)

JeffDilla
February 17, 2009, 04:38 PM
I work graveyard now, just got up!
WAY TO GO!

There he is. Thanks. I think I've been asking you questions about the P-01 since last fall. About time I got around to it, huh?

stormspotter
February 17, 2009, 04:54 PM
Nice gun. I got one about a week ago and love it.

CZ's are habit forming. I just bought a 75BD that was posted in the "for sale" section here. I decided to get it because of the price and it also has the same controls as my P-01.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k10/ema567/cz75bd.jpg

The doctor says I now have to take 2 aspirin and go to bed.:D

JeffDilla
February 17, 2009, 05:02 PM
Are the night sights standard on the p-01? I just noticed them on mine, a nice surprise.

burningsquirrels
February 17, 2009, 05:04 PM
glow in the dark green paint. they need to be charged under a lamp or UV light. in my book, it's a fail for defensive use. i painted mine white, and that's how i use it to race and for personal defense on all my 40Bs.

JeffDilla
February 17, 2009, 05:16 PM
i painted mine white, and that's how i use it to race and for personal defense on all my 40Bs.

That's not a bad idea, the green paint on them does seem a little dark, what kind of paint did you use?

burningsquirrels
February 17, 2009, 05:22 PM
i grabbed a $1 can of plain latex based flat white interior wall paint. don't remember the brand, but it was from a discount store (big lots/odd job type). i'd imagine any of them work.... but from what i've heard, if you want a specific name, there's testors brand modeling paint that others have used.

i'm also a tad colorblind, but it's a blue/black and a yellow/green... well, kinda. it's not bad, but i fail all those pattern tests the doctor shows me. the green is near impossible for me to see, especially with indoor or low light situations... that and i can't ask my attacker to wait while i get a flashlight out and charge my sight dots for a minute.

ptnightsights and xs sight systems make night sights for our 40b slides, fwiw...

JeffDilla
February 17, 2009, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the info. I need to take it down and give it a good cleaning. The shop cleaned most of the gunk off because this was the display pistol, but there is still some left in the slide serrations and other nooks and crannies. Another question, what do you use for carry ammo? From what I've read, the P-01 will feed just about anything, but do you have any particular suggestions?

burningsquirrels
February 17, 2009, 05:29 PM
i cannot... every gun has its quirks - the only true way to know is to try several down the pipe of one type and see if it works. that said, the winchester personal protection has a small opening and thus feeds great; i have a bunch of them from when i first bought the gun and didn't know any better. at the moment, i'm carrying 12+1 of speer gold dots. once i get my new magazine, 13+1. :) a couple have also liked the 155grn rangers too, btw.

JeffDilla
February 17, 2009, 05:49 PM
OK, thanks for the help!

stormspotter
February 17, 2009, 05:51 PM
I have some Neon Orange Acrylic paint, craft section at WalMart, that I am going to put on the front sight and some bright white for the rear.

I will do the same when my CZ 75BD comes in.

burningsquirrels
February 17, 2009, 05:56 PM
again Jeff... i blew quite a few bucks to find good carry ammo. it's an insurance policy to my life. i ran many a speer gold dot to satisfy my function and accuracy testing. you should do the same.

JeffDilla
February 17, 2009, 06:06 PM
Will do burningsquirrels, I'm just trying to get some ideas of where to start since there are so many brands and flavors out there. Trying them is half the fun :)

burningsquirrels
February 17, 2009, 06:09 PM
your wallet will hate you... i know mine did. :D

JeffDilla
February 17, 2009, 06:19 PM
It already does!

NG VI
February 17, 2009, 06:23 PM
I've got 147+P HST in my PCR, and 180 in my 40B. Everything seems to run right, never had a failure with my PCR and the only 40B failures were my fault for being a doofus, and the HST is a great performer. Gonna be really tough to find now though, so I would check out the Speer Gold Dot, Winchester Ranger-T, Remington Golden Saber, whatever as long as it is current production duty-oriented ammo, it will all work as well as it can.

Site to check for good carry ammo, since Ranger-T and HST don't get sold to the public normally, and Gold Dot can be tricky to find in 50 round boxes, would be places like www.ammunitiontogo.com, www.mahsupplies.com, and www.TDS-US.com.

I also have been known to carry Georgia Arms loaded Gold Dots.

floods
February 17, 2009, 06:30 PM
Welcome! :D

I've got ~1300 through mine so far, no FTF's, it's been completely reliable. So far it's eaten everything I've put through it:
WWB 115gr. FMJ
Blazer Brass 115gr. FMJ
Hornaday 145gr. JHP

Just got 1000 rounds of Federal American Eagle to add to that list. ;)

MJZZZ
February 17, 2009, 06:31 PM
I have spent a small fortune testing the Winchester Ranger T RA9124TP in all my 9mm's. The exception being my new Rami, I won't shoot JHP until after 500 errorfree rounds of FMJ. I was at 350 rounds when the trigger spring broke. I would usually start the round count over, but the malfunction wasn't ammo/feed related. When I run out of the Ranger T's, I'll reassess my carry ammo. Mike

JeffDilla
February 17, 2009, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've got some searching to do. My local shop didn't have much for JHPs. I'm going to be going by Cabellas in a couple of weeks so I might stop in there and see what they have.

burningsquirrels
February 17, 2009, 06:39 PM
until then, nothing wrong with FMJ. :)

JeffDilla
February 17, 2009, 06:41 PM
until then, nothing wrong with FMJ.

Right on, I picked up 200 rounds of WWB and 100 of Blazer Brass today

Geneseo1911
February 17, 2009, 07:20 PM
Burning-
You said you carry 12+1; my P-01 came with 14 rnd. mags.....am I missing something? Do you have the RAMI or whatever the next smaller is called?

Oh yeah- If any of you P-01/PCR guys want to trade rubber mag bases for steel, PM me.

burningsquirrels
February 17, 2009, 07:22 PM
i carry 12+1 of 40sw in my 40b... .40 cal for a little extra spike to the punch. plus it's what i shoot competitively, so it "should" be natural for me to shoot defensively... ::crosses fingers::

Geneseo1911
February 17, 2009, 07:26 PM
ahhhhhhh... a foh-tay

10-4

Sorry I'm a little dense

burningsquirrels
February 17, 2009, 07:33 PM
don't worry. my coworkers say i'm denser than a 747 in a thimble. :D

JeffDilla
February 17, 2009, 07:37 PM
I don't hear much about the P-06, did it catch on at all, or do people prefer the compact .40 with steel frame?

JeffDilla
February 17, 2009, 07:57 PM
Also, can the little black snap caps that came with it be used for repeated dry firing or are they of limited use? I noticed the "primer" on them is soft, so I'm not sure if after a few dry fires they lose their functionality

burningsquirrels
February 17, 2009, 08:10 PM
mine came with a bunch of green pads to change out... they almost look single use. the firing pin doesn't come out very far, and a few hits dents the green bit far enough to where the firing pin would barely touch it or bottom out. :shrug:

JeffDilla
February 17, 2009, 08:13 PM
Thanks. And now another question, when doing the first cleaning to get the rest of the packing grease off, are there any cleaners that I shouldn't use on the finish? I normally use hoppes on my other guns, would this be ok for the CZ as well?

burningsquirrels
February 17, 2009, 08:23 PM
you don't have to do what i do...

barrel i clean like the rest... i got hoppes#9 for that with some foaming cleaner....

as far as inside the frame, remingtonnnnn---i forget what it's called. it's just labelled 'cleaning chemicals with teflon'.

outside of the frame... beats me. i wipe it down with a paper towel, lol.

every 3 months or 3k rounds i strip the pistol to its individual parts. i rinse the frame with that remington spray cleaner and blast it with warm water and old (soft) toothbrushes, then dry, lube and reassemble.

JeffDilla
February 17, 2009, 08:25 PM
Thanks, squirrels, you've been a lot of help. I appreciate it.

burningsquirrels
February 17, 2009, 08:28 PM
np. poke around my 40b site if you like, it's in my sig.

my cleaning methods may be overkill for carry pieces though. my carry guns are cleaned maybe a couple times a year.... cleaned for lint/etc maybe every other month.

JeffDilla
February 17, 2009, 08:42 PM
np. poke around my 40b site if you like, it's in my sig.

I was checking it out a few minutes ago, good stuff. I've been lurking around the cz forum too.

armoredman
February 18, 2009, 03:33 AM
Hi, back again. Glad burning has been helpful, he's a regular CZ nut like us all.
Duty ammo, I have tried almost everything over the years, and I am actually carrying Remington 115gr JHP right now, ran the numbers, comes up quite good, Evan Marshall siad it was a good performer, and I can find it in my one horse town.

JeffDilla
February 18, 2009, 07:51 AM
I think I may go JHP shopping today and see what I can find.

If you enjoyed reading about "Picked up a new CZ P 01 today" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!