Pelican Rifle case

PDA

Iansstud
February 17, 2009, 10:22 PM
Hey all,

I was looking at the pelican cases and incase you havent noticed... they are not cheap!!!

Does anyone have a cheaper alternative?

Im not looking for a case that a M1abrams can drive over, just something that kindof looks the part, and dosent have Chrome/Aluminum around it. Hopefully water proof...

If not whats a good deal on a pelican case for a Rem 700?

If you enjoyed reading about "Pelican Rifle case" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JWarren
February 18, 2009, 07:17 AM
I have a Pelican 5160 for my LR-308. True, they aren't cheap, but I consider them worth every penny.

While not any cheaper than Pelican, Storm cases are considered top of the line as well.

If it were me, I'd use some cheap plastic case and be careful until I could get a Storm or Pelican-- IF you need that kind of protection.

I strap mine to the back rack of a 4 wheeler and drive through a swamp to deer hunt.

-- John

bonedust
February 18, 2009, 10:20 AM
+1 on the Pelican. i made the mistake of goinga cheaper route and did some major damage to a Sig 30-06 i dearly love. no more second rate cases for me...

bfoosh006
February 18, 2009, 10:44 AM
http://www.militarycases.com/MobileArmory.html

They might have what you want. Do a search for the one you like I've seen them for 2/3's the price of a Pelican case.
Their "Storm Cases" are nice and basic.

erict
February 18, 2009, 10:50 AM
I don't know how expensive the Pelican cases are because I do not own one. I have a double sided aluminum Winchester that has wheels though. I paid $150 for it at a local gun show if I remember correctly. It's pretty sturdy and has handled plenty of abuse on my end. Here is a generic picture of it.

Dunkelheit
February 18, 2009, 10:51 AM
If you love your guns, go and get a peli ;)

Cannonball888
February 18, 2009, 11:25 AM
I trust only a Pelican to carry my .50. It's watertight and can even keep the 30lb beast afloat.

H2O MAN
February 18, 2009, 11:42 AM
My MK14 SEI Mod 0 rides in a Pelican 1700

Mal H
February 18, 2009, 11:48 AM
I have a double rifle case made by SKB that a little cheaper than a Pelican at the time, but is every bit as good. I doubt that the heaviest handed baggage handler could damage it.

http://www.skbcases.com/industrial/products/prod-search.php?search=rifle&submit=Go&search_orig=1

feedthehogs
February 18, 2009, 12:40 PM
I'm not sure if Starlite is still selling at Sams stores but a few years back I bought a pallet of two rifle cases for less than half of what they retailed for.

Starlite is much better than pelican.

Thumper_6119
February 18, 2009, 01:12 PM
Check on ebay. I just got a Pelican 1750 w/3 foam inserts for $150 on ebay. (Not a knock-off, it's the real deal).

briansmithwins
February 18, 2009, 02:15 PM
I worked a a traveling field service guy for 5 years, flying weekly with 50 lbs of tools.

The Pelican cases I used got scratched, dinged, and dirty. They never broke and are as functional now as when I bought them. Other guys I worked with got cheaper cases and only needed to replace theirs yearly.

BSW

Iansstud
February 18, 2009, 04:15 PM
I wish I could afford a new Tan Pelican case but... Its the same reason I dont have a glock... I have a really hard time buying 17$ in plastic that has been formed into a gun for $600....

Ill keep my eyes peeled on ebay and hope for a used one, thanks guys

JWarren
February 18, 2009, 04:23 PM
I wish I could afford a new Tan Pelican case but... Its the same reason I dont have a glock... I have a really hard time buying 17$ in plastic that has been formed into a gun for $600....

I look at it this way...

My case holds $2,400 worth of gun and optic.

I paid $180 for my Pelican 5160.

That is a 7.5% one-time premium to protect the firearm anytime I take it out hunting or transporting.

Not bad, really.

-- John

red_cedar
February 18, 2009, 06:31 PM
Starlight cases are a good option.

jcwit
February 18, 2009, 07:07 PM
Good grief Your gun cost 5 times what my car cost 5 years ago, let alone what your case cost.

I NEED A BAIL OUT!!!!!

9mmepiphany
February 18, 2009, 10:46 PM
going cheap on a guncase for your rifle is as bad as going cheap on a holster for CCW.

it's not an investment, it's to protect your investment

jcwit
February 19, 2009, 02:08 AM
I assume it depends on how you handle and treat your equipment also. My Dosko Dlx rifle case gently holds my Bench rifle to the range after I lay it into the back of my hatchback and again when I lay it into the back again tor the trip home. Being as I consider myself careful on how I handle it so far for 10 years I have yet to get a scratch or dent on said rifle or scope. Needless to say I don't drive over it as I usually make dead sure its in the car or on the bench. Bragging rights are reserved for the targets and groups shot, not for the expensive case the rifle rides in.

I realize their are more expensive cases but I have no need for spending dollars to impress anyone. Mayhaps I'm just to practical but that may come from 20+ years being director of purchasing for a fortune 500 company.

Saying all this the $200 cases have their place, but for average use I wonder. Also $15/20 wholesale cost of plastic and turning it into a $200 case no wonder folks turn to Chinese goods. This seems rampant through American goods. News today sited the avg U.S. auto worker makes approx $154 per hr. more than a foreign make made in the U.S. This was after all benfites are added in, then they wonder why we're in bad shape.
Oh well their's my rant and I assume most will not even be able to tie all this together, buts that their problem not mine.

JWarren
February 19, 2009, 06:37 AM
jcwit makes an excellent point.

A typical Dosko case is likely FINE for 99% of what most people use a case for.

Hell, I have two.

The reason that I have a Pelican is that I use a 4 wheeler as transportation in a swamp for hunting. My case gets bungie-cord attached to the rack of the 4 wheeler and off I go.

There's times that I've had to hose the case off after a hunting trip.

But now that hunting season is over, my 5160 is behind my sofa in my study. It may well stay there until next November. Putting a 15 pound rifle in a 21 pound case and hauling it around isn't my idea of fun.

-- John

Horsemany
February 19, 2009, 08:28 AM
I actually prefer the $35 Airglide. It stands your rifle up on foam pillars. Two velcro straps keep it tight. THe benefit is nothing touches your scope so there's no stress on anything as it bounces down the highway in the truck. The Airglides are quite common at benchrest matches.

9mmepiphany
February 19, 2009, 11:45 AM
do you guys recommend a different case for air travel?

george
February 19, 2009, 12:44 PM
ebay: PelicanBros

JohnBT
February 19, 2009, 03:19 PM
These have gotten a lot of good posts from the African hunters who fly. You pack your clothes around the guns in their soft cases. Expensive at $355.

www.tuffpak.com/retail/product1.asp?P=TP%2D1049KYB

"Unlike any gun case you've ever seen! With room for up to 3 scoped rifles or 5 shot guns, travel with Tuffpak means more gear with fewer bags.

No dividers inside means you decide how many firearms, how much gear, whatever you need for this next trip.

Your firearms travel securely in the padding of their soft bags, ready for the adventure that awaits you when you touch down."

drgrenthum
February 19, 2009, 08:48 PM
johnbt, the tuff pack cases look like stuff i used to sell for tradeshow graphics.

Guys do a google search for trade show cases. I think you will find alot of items made to be shipped around and beat the snot out of for a little less then cost of "gun cases". Most of them will work just fine or better.

Peter M. Eick
February 20, 2009, 08:38 PM
Get the pelican. I have two and they work great. Mine has been to the North Slope of Alaska, through ANWR and out to Bethel basin. Lots of choppers, float planes and dings to show the wear and tear. The gun made it perfectly though.

February 20, 2009, 11:04 PM
I actually prefer the $35 Airglide. It stands your rifle up on foam pillars. Two velcro straps keep it tight. THe benefit is nothing touches your scope so there's no stress on anything as it bounces down the highway in the truck. The Airglides are quite common at benchrest matches.

I have two of those that I use to transport my AI clones ... they work well. I do have to remove the bolts before placing the rifles in the cases (due to increased bolt handle length with BO TBKs), and the cases aren't stackable but they work in that they keep the rifle and scope from harm.

I have to admit, I'd love one of those sexy case like the one taliv has ... all shaped and fitted ... with little cutouts for various components.

:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Pelican Rifle case" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!