HOME DEPOT GEORGE
February 18, 2009, 08:48 AM
Just saw this link on THR.US.http://www.thehighroad.us/showthread.php?t=406508

Quote:
TO: All Wyoming Sheriffs
All Wyoming Chiefs of Police

DATE: February 12, 2009

RE: Concealed Firearm Permit Reciprocity

I am writing to let all the agencies in Wyoming know of substantial changes resulting from review of other states’ concealed firearm criteria. The Wyoming Attorney General’s Office recently completed examination of the other 49 states statutes for the purpose of honoring concealed firearms permits issued by another state, or reciprocity.

Pursuant to Wyo. Stat. Ann. § 6-8-401(a)(iii), Wyoming will recognize a permit from another state that “has laws similar to the provisions of this section, as determined by the attorney general . . ..” The Wyoming Attorney General has determined that with the exception of 8 states, presently all the others concealed firearm permit statutes are not sufficiently similar to Wyoming’s. Specifically, Wyo. Stat. Ann. § 6-8-104(b)(v) prohibits issuance of a permit to any person who has been convicted of a controlled substance violation, felony or misdemeanor in any jurisdiction. Most other states’ analogous
statutes do not.

The Wyoming Attorney General holds that if a misdemeanor drug conviction disqualifies a Wyoming resident, is also needs to disqualify an out-of-state permit holder. Due to the difference in how each state handles controlled substance convictions, Wyoming is also limited in our ability to maintain reciprocity with states we may have previously.
Accordingly, as of March 1, 2009, Wyoming can only honor concealed firearm permits issued by the following states: Connecticut, Ohio, Georgia, Oklahoma, Maryland, Oregon, Massachusetts and Utah.

If you enjoyed reading about "Wyoming keeps 8 and drops 14 other states from reciprocity" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MJZZZ
February 18, 2009, 08:52 AM
They still honor Utah's non-resident so I'm still OK. Mike

HOME DEPOT GEORGE
February 18, 2009, 09:29 AM
Mods can you correct the title?

John828
February 18, 2009, 09:40 AM
So Wyoming dropped 14 states from their reciprocity agreements?

What a shame! Such a wonderful state from the outside looking in.

VegasGeorge
February 18, 2009, 11:21 AM
This perfectly illustrates why we need national uniformity of concealed carry laws for interstate visitors. Every State should set its own standards for its own residents while in that State. But American citizens shouldn't be disarmed at the border when they cross from one State to another if they are just visiting or passing through.

22-rimfire
February 18, 2009, 11:55 AM
I tend to agree with WY generally since I believe they should honor permits from all states that have equal or more stringent guidelines in terms of qualifying for a permit. But I want to know some specific details especially with regard to my own state, TN.

Added: Their website says nothing about any changes. What is the source of the information? http://attorneygeneral.state.wy.us/dci/CWP.html

Justin
February 18, 2009, 11:59 AM
I've corrected the title of the thread.

Duke of Doubt
February 18, 2009, 12:11 PM
I occupy a funny little corner of the nation. I have a ME resident permit, a NH non-resident permit, and then there's VT. Beyond that there's this long, vast swath of non-gun territory where I cannot carry. No state has reciprocity with mine, perhaps because our permit is so broad (an AK is A-OK). I suppose it would be nice to have reciprocity somewhere, but the only states outside of my odd little corner of the nation where I do any significant amount of travelling are VERY anti-gun.

ChromeLibrarian
February 18, 2009, 12:30 PM
This perfectly illustrates why we need national uniformity of concealed carry laws for interstate visitors.

To me this is a perfect example of why they need to acknowledge an individual's right to carry whatever they want, however they want and mind their own business.

Ala Dan
February 18, 2009, 02:57 PM
as Alabama is not on their approved list~! :eek:

rfurtkamp
February 18, 2009, 09:29 PM
Dropping Idaho means...well, they kissed $$ goodbye from a lot of us.

whited
February 18, 2009, 09:40 PM
As a Wyoming resident, I have to say that doesn't really make much sense.
Nebraska, Idaho, and Colorado no longer honored ? I'm not sure I understand
exactly what Wyoming is attempting to accomplish by not accepting these
neighbor states. Also, it is odd to me that half of the states that will be
honored are eastern seaboard. A step in the wrong direction, in my opinion.

Boo, Wyoming. Boo.

wyocarp
February 18, 2009, 09:40 PM
Believe me when I say that this pisses me off. I understand it, but I feel we should be able to have a permit that works in every state just like the drivers license. I just sent a letter to the Attorney General, Bruce Salzburg. I hope all of you will do the same with respectful letters requesting that he change the direction Wyoming is headed in this issue.

I will be calling his office tomorrow.

MostlyHarmless
February 19, 2009, 12:45 AM
It would be useful to know the back story on this. Was this politically motivated, simply the outcome of a routine review, or the result of a bad case?

Javelin
February 19, 2009, 12:58 AM
More anti's getting their punches in.

denfoote
February 19, 2009, 01:17 AM
No Wyoming vacation for me!!!

Lone_Gunman
February 19, 2009, 01:28 AM
The attorney general's statement explained the reason behind this quite well. If you are still wondering if this was politically motivated, go back and re-read what he said.

The main reason the states were removed is because those states would issue CCW permits to people who had misdemeanor drug violations. Wyoming will not allow its own residents to have a CCW permit if they have misdemeanor drug convictions, so why would they possibly want to let an out of state person with misdemeanor conviction carry?

TAB
February 19, 2009, 01:47 AM
Good for Wy.

Dienekes
February 19, 2009, 02:01 AM
Some states are going to reciprocate us out of business for traveling on our permits. I wonder if that is the unstated purpose behind some of this. OTOH, issuing to persons convicted for misdemeanor drug offenses is pretty stupid, also.

Probably a good reason to just go with AK/NH type permissive unlicensed carry and be done with the whole mess. I really don't like the idea of anyone and everyone carrying, because I don't trust anyone and everyone.

But neither do I like politicians fine-tuning personal defense issues that put other people at risk, in-state or out of state. All it does is breed (richly deserved) contempt.

PTK
February 19, 2009, 02:33 AM
And I'm done going to Wyoming. That sucks, I like that state.

TAB
February 19, 2009, 03:24 AM
Of course.

A state stading up for itself and disallowing people who under there law could not legally do something( does not matter what it is), sure sounds like a bad thing to me...

rmmoore
February 19, 2009, 03:24 AM
Folks, I understand your anger, me too. But, as a CCW Instructor in Wyoming, let me offer a suggestion. Get a Utah Non-Resident Permit. It's good here, is one of the easiest permits to acquire, you NEVER have to set foot in Utah to get it as long as you can find a State approved instructor to teach the class. It's also one of the most widely accepted Permits in the Country. And yes, I teach the Utah class as well. Been doing it since 2001, I think. They maintain a list of Instructors in every State at www.bci.utah.gov

Zoogster
February 19, 2009, 03:33 AM
What do you expect. That is going to be the national trend. You license a right and the license requirements are going to gradualy increase.

When it was a new concept the requirements were minimal.
Over time everyone thinks of one more thing someone should learn beforehand, and someone thinks a higher and higher fee/tax could could help with more and more of the state budget.

States that do not think the requirements of another state are strict enough will pressure them to raise thier standards. The tit for tat raising of the requirements to maintain reciprocity will continue.

I tend to agree with WY generally since I believe they should honor permits from all states that have equal or more stringent guidelines in terms of qualifying for a permit. But I want to know some specific details especially with regard to my own state, TN. With that attitude it is a slow race to be a more restrictive state to be "better" than the others so more will honor your permits. Is it any wonder they still choose to honor MA for example? The state where everyone needs local police permission and the laws are like some foriegn nation?
"We will honor permits from any state clearly more repressive than us, because if you qualify in a place more repressive than us you are clearly qualified here."
I guess most foriegners who have gun permits in thier home nations should have even more gun rights than most Americans with that logic. "Oh you qualify to have a gun in Authoritarianistan? You are clearly more qualified than most Americans then."
Australia require membership in a club for X amount of time, state inspection of storage for various firearms etc. Thier requirements for mere ownership are oftentimes higher than ours to carry. I guess they should just be handed a gun when they get off the plane here.

Lets reward citizens from anywhere they vote for or allow a more repressive state! Lets all try to make our states more restrictive so that out of state residents purchase our state's permits valid in more places, creating revenue for our state government.
Such a great system. :rolleyes:

Now we just need to start licensing free speech. There is a large profitable market on selling "rights" out there!

Kind of Blued
February 19, 2009, 03:36 AM
Well, as a fan of Wyoming who lives near-by and has never been convicted of anything but two traffic infractions, I won't be going there again.

PTK
February 19, 2009, 03:38 AM
Well, as a fan of Wyoming who lives near-by and has never been convicted of anything but two traffic infractions, I won't be going there again.

Man, no more trips to Cheyenne for you either, huh? We both should call the state gov't there and tell them just why we're not going back.

rmmoore
February 19, 2009, 03:57 AM
You know, "Kind of" and "PTK" make valid points. CALL the State and tell them they are losing your financial contributions to our economy. I don't like what's happening, nor do I "entirely" think it's a bad thing either. But, speak with your wallet, and TELL SOMEBODY. Walking away without telling the Governor (or someone) why, doesn't do ANY good at all.

DeathByCactus
February 19, 2009, 04:16 AM
Well, one less state I need to drop by and spend money in.

Kind of Blued
February 19, 2009, 04:53 AM
I like to think of the inter-mountain west as being a sort of stronghold of values that I appreciate. Utah's progress with campus carry and Arizona's acceptance of open-carry are fine examples. While states' rights are seminal to operating on such a level, this is still disappointing to me. This isn't because I think they did the wrong thing, but because if Second Amendment Rights wane in a place like Wyoming, there aren't necessarily any states to urge them to reconsider an alternate solution, or to be honest, a jarring slap. WAS there a demonstrable problem facing the peacable folks of Wyoming? Is there any evidence that this is in their best interest? What do Wyoming citizens think?

My driver's ed. teacher may have been a meth-head, but I became a decent driver by using my own personal judgement and realizing that I was accountable for my actions. Never was my driver's license restricted by other states because I received sub-par training. Nevermind the 2,000 lb. projectile moving at 70 mph...

I think the Attorney General could have imagined a process to get the results desired without alienating the law-abiding folks who stop by on occasion to dump some money into the state.

The message could have been "You and your rights are certainly welcome here, we'd just like to get things organized properly". Instead (possibly due to the context of how this was presented here), I get "You can come visit so long as you check that thing at the border".

I guess this is what happens when a right is designated to a permit process.

Jed Carter
February 19, 2009, 06:04 AM
With loss of reciprical permits that greatly limits not only those persons that live in bordering states, but it totaly limits Wyoming residents from taking their weapons to those states that Wyoming will not honor. You don't honor my permits, we won't honor yours. Finger up, Wyoming!

rfurtkamp
February 19, 2009, 08:09 AM
With loss of reciprical permits that greatly limits not only those persons that live in bordering states, but it totaly limits Wyoming residents from taking their weapons to those states that Wyoming will not honor.

They're more than welcome to cross the border to Idaho, we take anyone's permit from anywhere, no questions asked.

Glockman17366
February 19, 2009, 08:47 AM
Rather then bitch and moan about Wyoming's AG and his interpretation, why not contact WY (governor's office might be a good place to start) and push the legislature to modify the permit requirements?
The AG didn't write the laws...his job is to enforce them. I won't dispute the permit requirements are draconian...especially now that we have a president who has admitted using illegal substances (marijuana and cocaine). But recall in Texas getting caught with one marijuana cigaret could get you life in prison.
Also, remember on the ATF form you fill out when you buy a gun, you attest you are not addicted to or an unlawful user of controlled substances.

WY has basically two industries, mining and tourism. WY's tourism industry could take a pretty good hit with this.

cassandrasdaddy
February 19, 2009, 09:24 AM
the reference to md permits made me snort

Hanzerik
February 19, 2009, 10:02 AM
Folks, I understand your anger, me too. But, as a CCW Instructor in Wyoming, let me offer a suggestion. Get a Utah Non-Resident Permit. It's good here, is one of the easiest permits to acquire, you NEVER have to set foot in Utah to get it as long as you can find a State approved instructor to teach the class. It's also one of the most widely accepted Permits in the Country. And yes, I teach the Utah class as well. Been doing it since 2001, I think. They maintain a list of Instructors in every State at www.bci.utah.gov

Does Utah accept a Military ID as proof of proficiency, or is a Certified Instructor the only route?

Bailey Guns
February 19, 2009, 10:23 AM
The real problem with this is it punishes many who shouldn't be punished. For those who have permits in other states, CO for example, who have none of the disqualifying (in WY) convictions, they're punished the same as someone who does.

This also means many states are going to drop WY reciprocity. CO, for example, will most likely no longer honor WY permits once this takes effect as CO law basically states: "Pursuant to Colorado law (CRS 18-12-213), the State of Colorado will recognize a valid permit issued in another state IF the permit was issued to a resident of the state issuing the permit, and the permittee is 21 yrs of age or older, AND the other state recognizes Colorado permits as valid in their state."

So this is just a bad thing for a lot of "innocent" people all the way around.

Bailey Guns
February 19, 2009, 10:33 AM
Hanzerik...

You MUST attend a UT Concealed Firearms Permit training course from a UT Bureau of Criminal Identification certified instructor.

Here's a link to their application page:

http://www.des.utah.gov/bci/docs/ccwapp.pdf

DISCLAIMER: My instructor application is pending. I'm hoping to offer this course in CO soon.

Blacksmoke
February 19, 2009, 10:51 AM
The reasoning is prepsterous and inaccurate. New Mexico does not issue licenses to applicants convicted of drug crimes.

Glockman17366
February 19, 2009, 11:25 AM
The reasoning is prepsterous and inaccurate. New Mexico does not issue licenses to applicants convicted of drug crimes.

There's still a lot of "reefer madness" thought processes in some of the western states.
One respondent to this thread blamed WY's decision on the anti-rights people. That's incorrect, of course...WY is one of the more conservative "Law and Order" states in the union.
Lot of us won't agree with being prohibited because of a minor drug charge...but would you want your state (Pennsylvania, in my case) to follow Wyoming's example (that is, no gun permits if convicted of a misdemeaner drug charge)?

twoclones
February 19, 2009, 11:34 AM
I won't be going there again.

Why bother with that attitude when getting another premit, like Utah, will cure the problem? If any states deserve to be boycotted, it's those who refuse to accept non-resident permits.

Colorado, for example, does not accept my resident Washington permit and does not accept non-resident permits [I have Oregon and Utah non-resident].

leadcounsel
February 19, 2009, 11:59 AM
As I understand it, it's because Wyoming prohibits a CCW license for anyone EVER convicted of ANY drug offense.

1) Sounds like a retroactive penalty - and unlawful
2) Anyone have any good email addresses for legislatures there - I'd like to voice my opinion about crossing them off my vacation destinations
3) I've said it several times on this board, but it's worth revisiting: HERE IS YET ANOTHER REASON THAT THE WAR ON DRUGS IS A FAILURE, AND THE WAR ON DRUGS IS THE LARGEST ENEMY TO THE 2ND AMENDMENT WE HAVE EVER SEEN. Every anti-gun law has come about due to fighting drugs. Organized and violent crime go hand in hand with drugs. Politicians and law makers fight drugs and organized crime by outlawing guns. Sawn off shotguns; machine guns; assault weapons; hi capacity magazines; gun transfers; etc. and now concealed carry. When will we wake up and see that in addition to being a total costly failure, it erodes the 2A.

phoglund
February 19, 2009, 12:14 PM
I have to say this is a bit annoying. I have a Montana permit and liked the idea of being able to travel to neighboring states without acquiring another permit. The main thing is I like to occasionally go to Yellowstone and with the change in the right to conceal carry in National parks I was looking forward to carrying in the park...but with no reciprocity I don't think I'll be able to. (The majority of Yellowstone is within Wyoming) :fire:

I looked at the Utah web site. There are no Utah certified trainers in Montana.

Jorg Nysgerrig
February 19, 2009, 12:23 PM
Well, one less state I need to drop by and spend money in.
This response always makes me roll my eyes. Please tell us about all the money you had been previously showering the great state of Wyoming with to show your appreciation of their earlier reciprocity. I'm afraid that the folks in Wyoming aren't going to buy into the idea that you just hop in your private jet to go buy a fleet of cars in states with gun laws with which you approve. With the exception of the occasional run for full strength beer, fireworks, not a lot of folks just drop by Wyoming to spend money. The vast majority of those going to Yellowstone and the other tourist attractions, aren't going to care.

DHJenkins
February 19, 2009, 12:24 PM
So if you get busted smoking a doob in college, you lose the right to protect yourself for the rest of your life?

Sweden
February 19, 2009, 12:24 PM
The main thing is I like to occasionally go to Yellowstone and with the change in the right to conceal carry in National parks I was looking forward to carrying in the park...but with no reciprocity I don't think I'll be able to. (The majority of Yellowstone is within Wyoming)

That is what my legal contacts are telling me was the motivation behind this re-evaluation. They somehow believe this will increase tourista spending.

CoRoMo
February 19, 2009, 12:47 PM
I just sent an email to Governor Dave Freudenthal at this website (http://governor.wy.gov/contact-dave/default.html), and I'd encourage everyone to do the same. Amongst other things, I told him...

No more hunting in Wyoming for me.
No more camping in Wyoming for me.

phoglund
February 19, 2009, 01:10 PM
Does anybody here know the open carry laws in Wyoming? Also, in Montana there is no restriction on concealed carry outside of towns, does Wyoming have a similar take on concealed carry?

(I know I could look this up but perhaps someone who already has this knowledge can save me a bit of time. ;) )

JWF III
February 19, 2009, 01:28 PM
I do find this interesting. Now I don't know what the other states look for on the background check, or how far they go back. But what I find most interesting is that the states that (I feel) are the hardest to get permits are the ones that are not on their approved list.

I live in Georgia (still approved by WY), all the state requires of me to be permitted is 2 sets of fingerprints, passage of the background check, and $35 (IIRK). But the states that require this plus passage of a training course (not necessarily a bad thing), such as Tennessee and South Carolina are not approved by WY.

Usually I have found it to be the other way around. This is a good reason for national reciprocity. If you are allowed in your home state, you should be allowed nation wide. Imagine the outrage if this had been drivers liscenses.

Wyman

Big Bill
February 19, 2009, 02:57 PM
DAMN - I guess I'll be going to Montana instead of Wyoming to vacation.

wyocarp
February 19, 2009, 02:58 PM
Does anybody here know the open carry laws in Wyoming? Also, in Montana there is no restriction on concealed carry outside of towns, does Wyoming have a similar take on concealed carry?

Yep, I do. I open carry much of the time. It is legal everywhere that you can carry a gun. That being said, not everyone knows that. The police chief in Thermopolis, Wyoming thought they had an ordinance against open carry. I think he knows different now. Not only that, cities are not allowed to pass an ordinance against open carry.

wyocarp
February 19, 2009, 03:05 PM
By the way, instead of not planning any visits to Wyoming, why not just call the Governor of Wyoming, Dave Freudenthal and let his office know of your dissatisfaction. 307-777-7434

Or email him.

http://governor.wy.gov/contact-dave/thanks-for-the-message.html

I would be grateful.

Big Bill
February 19, 2009, 03:13 PM
Great Idea! I sure will.

I just did! The lady that answered the phone took my info and message and she said the Attorney General is reviewing the law which was put into effect by a former AG. She doesn't think the law will stand.

Big Bill
February 19, 2009, 03:18 PM
Good for Wy.So, if you've ever smoked a joint, you shouldn't be allowed to ever carry concealed? WHAT!

wyocarp
February 19, 2009, 03:33 PM
And, I've got another idea. Why not call or write the attorney general while you're feeling like being an activist.

Wyoming's attorney general, Bruce Salzburg, would love to hear from you about reciprocity between states. I'm sure of it.

His phone number is 307-777-7181 or you can email him from the website and at the bottom of the page is a place to contact them:

http://attorneygeneral.state.wy.us/dci/CWP.html

psyopspec
February 19, 2009, 05:11 PM
My email to the governor:

Sir,

I am writing this note to share my disappointment following the recent announcement from the office of the WY Attorney General. As an avid outdoorsman and hunter, I greatly appreciate the beauty your state has to offer. Unfortunately, as a law abiding citizen and a military officer who swore to uphold The Constituion, I cannot return until the government you administer trusts all law abiding citizens with the responsibility to provide for their own self defense.

I drove through your state less than a week ago; it is truly like no other, and I do wish to return one day. I completely respect the right of your state's people to put into place laws which suit them, but until WY reciprocity for Concealed Weapons Permits is loosened, I will be exercising my individual rights (and vacation dollars) elsewhere. Thank you for your time sir.

Best,

Psyoper

Knucklehead2
February 19, 2009, 05:17 PM
PA was dumped, maybe this is not clear enough:
34. HAVE YOU EVER BEEN CONVICTED OF ANY DRUG OR CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE OFFENSE UNDER THE ACT OF APRIL 14, 1972
(P.L. 233, NO. 64) KNOWN AS THE CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE, DRUG, DEVICE AND COSMETIC ACT?
(ALL DRUG-RELATED CONVICTIONS WILL PROHIBIT LICENSING, UNDER SECTION 6109 RELATING TO LICENSES)

Big Bill
February 19, 2009, 06:17 PM
Wyocarp - I called the AG's office and she said they've been getting a load of calls and that the AG is taking a second look at the law.

Hanzerik
February 19, 2009, 08:26 PM
Wyocarp - I called the AG's office and she said they've been getting a load of calls and that the AG is taking a second look at the law.

Good to hear.

Lone_Gunman
February 19, 2009, 09:21 PM
Smoking a joint does not exclude you. Being convicted of smoking a joint excludes you.

psyopspec
February 19, 2009, 09:26 PM
Actually, smoking it isn't a crime in most jurisdictions. It's the possession that gets ya.

whited
February 19, 2009, 09:29 PM
What if you didn't inhale ??

/Clinton joke, etc...

wyocarp
February 19, 2009, 11:08 PM
Thanks for all of you who are calling and writing letters. Please Continue.

wyocarp
February 19, 2009, 11:39 PM
I would greatly appreciate your time in contacting the following people about our concerns with regards to weapons permit reciprocity between states.

Governor of Wyoming, Dave Freudenthal
307-777-7434

http://governor.wy.gov/contact-dave/...e-message.html

------------------------------------------------------

Wyoming's attorney general, Bruce Salzburg
307-777-7181

------------------------------------------------------

Wyoming Senator, Mike Enzi
Washington Office 202-224-3424
Cheyenne Office 307-772-2477
Gillette Office 307-682-6268
Cody Office 307-527-9444
Jackson Office 307-739-9507
Casper Office 307-261-6572

http://enzi.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=ContactInformation.EmailSenatorEnzi

-----------------------------------------------------
Wyoming Senator, John Barrasso
Casper 307-261-6413
Cheyenne 307-772-2451
Riverton 307-856-6642
Rock Springs 307-362-5012
Sheridan 307-672-6456
Washington 202-224-6441

http://barrasso.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=ContactUs.ContactForm

wyocarp
February 20, 2009, 12:11 AM
Please, Please, Please. I'm begging, and I don't do that very much. Please write or call.

Oh, and thank you very much for those of you who have!

It is working! Just late today, the Attorney General's web page was changed and they have added the 14 states that they just recently deleted.

I couldn't believe my eyes. I went back on to copy some wording for another letter and they have added a bold red lettered section stating that they are looking at this again and they added the states back on.

Our attention to this will make a difference!

wyohome
February 20, 2009, 12:31 AM
I hadn't heard about this. Everyone on your list will get a call in the morning.

wyocarp
February 20, 2009, 03:25 AM
Probably not Johnny, but I am hoping for the best and hoping for support from everyone on here. This isn't good for any of us. We need to expand our gun rights, not have them taken away.

It doesn't even make sense, even though a few have said it did. Not every state has the exact same requirements for vehicles and licenses but we are allowed to drive in the other states.

Okay, so maybe someone from Colorado has had a conviction for smoking dope. We can still recognize that he has performed what is seen as needed in Colorado to carry a concealed weapon. It's not like we are having a rash of crimes or problems from people with permits.

Heck, it isn't hard for a police officer to recognize that their might be a difference in what is required for a permit from other states. He could still know that if he is talking to someone with a Wyoming permit, that we:

Haven't had a driving while impaired conviction
Haven't been convicted of domestic violence
Haven't been convicted of illegal substance violation
Haven't had a felony conviction
Is a citizen of the United States and a resident of Wyoming for six months
Is 21 years of age
Don't have a physical impairment preventing safe use of a firearm
Passed an approved firearms training course
And our local sheriff has to approve the application

wyocarp
February 20, 2009, 04:48 AM
Please, Please, Please. I'm begging, and I don't do that very much. Please write or call.

Oh, and thank you very much for those of you who have!

It is working! Late yesterday, the Attorney General's web page was changed and they have added the 14 states that they just recently deleted.

I couldn't believe my eyes. I went back on to copy some wording for another letter and they have added a bold red lettered section stating that they are looking at this again and they added the states back on.

Our attention to this will make a difference!

Kind of Blued
February 20, 2009, 06:44 AM
I'll be spending tomorrow afternoon making phone calls, my preferred method, as it makes more noise than any other form of communication. If I can't get through, I'll ask to be put on hold and send e-mails while I wait.

I informed two co-workers today that their carry permits were no longer any good in Wyoming, and they're on board too.

sourdough44
February 20, 2009, 07:15 AM
I just did a few e-mails. I'm surprised since I expected more out of WY.

qajaq59
February 20, 2009, 07:47 AM
No problem. There's plenty of states that recognize Florida and they wont mind taking my money.

phoglund
February 20, 2009, 01:26 PM
Email sent! I'm happy to see they are at least reconsidering.

-P

Wyo_F-A
February 20, 2009, 02:07 PM
just got an email from NRA-ILA--

Attack on Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Suspended

Due to an overwhelmingly negative response from gun owners both in and outside Wyoming, an attempt made earlier this week to drastically limit Wyoming’s Right-to-Carry Reciprocity statute has been suspended for the time being, once again restoring the original Right-to-Carry Reciprocity statute.

This break will allow the NRA to review the current statute and develop a plan to bring a bill before the Wyoming State Legislature during the next legislative session to ensure that this never happens again to law-abiding citizens in Wyoming.

Thank you for all of your calls and support!

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
February 20, 2009, 02:10 PM
Attack on Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Suspended

Due to an overwhelmingly negative response from gun owners both in and outside Wyoming, an attempt made earlier this week to drastically limit Wyoming’s Right-to-Carry Reciprocity statute has been suspended for the time being, once again restoring the original Right-to-Carry Reciprocity statute.

This break will allow the NRA to review the current statute and develop a plan to bring a bill before the Wyoming State Legislature during the next legislative session to ensure that this never happens again to law-abiding citizens in Wyoming.

Thank you for all of your calls and support!

Wow, good job, guys.

statelineblues
February 20, 2009, 02:30 PM
Posted by Duke of Doubt:
I occupy a funny little corner of the nation. I have a ME resident permit, a NH non-resident permit, and then there's VT. Beyond that there's this long, vast swath of non-gun territory where I cannot carry. No state has reciprocity with mine, perhaps because our permit is so broad (an AK is A-OK). I suppose it would be nice to have reciprocity somewhere, but the only states outside of my odd little corner of the nation where I do any significant amount of travelling are VERY anti-gun.

Duke - ever consider getting a CT non-res permit?

1-cavediver
February 20, 2009, 02:47 PM
This is just the anti-second ammendment folks chipping away little by little to undo the gains we've made in the last 10-years or so. Be prepared for more of the same with our recently elected socialist leaders.

kd7nqb
February 20, 2009, 03:02 PM
Looks like we won at least temporarily hopefully they keep the reciprocity the old way. I have an Oregon CHL so I am safe (for now) but still sent out a few emails because frankly I have friends in Wyoming and they need the support.

wyocarp
February 20, 2009, 03:46 PM
I don't know if we are out of the woods on this one yet. Thanks to all of you who have called and written. It seems to have made a temporary difference, and although in calling around today, I am being told that the change was recinded last night, the print on the Wyoming Attorney General's site says they are looking at it again. Maybe they are just going to wait until the outcry cools down to change it again? I'm not a pessimist, I just don't trust our government.

If you haven't called or written, please look up the thread and find my posts which have numerous phone numbers and contact links for you to do so. I am a strong believer that together we stand strong and bad gun laws and decissions affect us all.

jnyork
February 20, 2009, 05:56 PM
Wyoming people probably have more guns and more NRA members per capita than anywhere else in the nation. In addition, we are very outspoken and dont mind a bit calling our legistators and voicing our opinions. Due to the low population, your legislator is probably known to you by face and name, and might be your neighbor. Second Amendment issues in Wyoming almost always come out in our favor, and through our vigilance will continue to do so.

wyocarp
February 20, 2009, 07:38 PM
jnyork, I hope you're right. I was on the phone with the attorney general's office less than 10 minutes ago and although it sounded like the reciprocity number might not go down to 8, we still might not get to keep all the ones we have had.

Sooooooooooooo, for me, the calls and letters will continue until I feel that we are on solid ground again.

Gregbug
February 20, 2009, 08:06 PM
Sent a letter to the Attorney General this morning. Plan to email Gov Dave this weekend. While I live in Colorado, I have land in Wyoming, so I hope they recind this stupidity. I'll keep on them too.

351 WINCHESTER
February 20, 2009, 08:37 PM
"Whe're you from soldier? Wyoming sir. Never heard of it."

230RN
February 20, 2009, 09:28 PM
Is that Attorney General appointed or elected?

If elected and he's reading this post, he should realize that he'll be looking to go back into private practice after the next election.

If appointed, the Governor should realize that he'll be looking to go back into private practice after the next election.

I want job security for those officials who violate their oaths of office to be very, very tenuous.

sourdough44
February 20, 2009, 09:29 PM
I got the e-mail back from the AG's office. It said they would stay with the current reciprocity laws. Of course we have to keep an eye on them.

Crash_Test_Dhimmi
February 20, 2009, 10:21 PM
Another reason to love my OHIO CCW Card!

wyocarp
February 20, 2009, 11:11 PM
230RN, The Attorney General of the State of Wyoming is appointed by the Governor, pursuant to Wyo.Stat. § 9-1-601

Dienekes
February 21, 2009, 12:38 AM
E-Mails out. Think I'll look up my rep. & senator as well.

Thanks for putting the word out.

230RN
February 21, 2009, 03:06 AM
Ditto on the thank you! :)

Another group to sort of "hold in reserve" for contacting if these jockomos start that up again is the Cheyenne Frontier Days organization. I don't know exactly who puts it on, but here's a sample:

http://www.wyomingtourism.org/cms/d/CFD2007.php

Here is a rundown on the stars they have lined up for Cheyenne Frontier Days 2009:

http://www.oldwestnewwest.com/things-to-do/festivals/cheyenne-frontier-days-unveils-2009-country-star-line-up.html

And I'm sure there's a Rodeo Association somewhere that might be interested in knowing about this. Maybe it would pay to alert them to this "narrow escape."

I gotta laugh at this logo, in light of the whole issue:

http://www.wyomingtourism.org/images/shell/header_center_internal.jpg

All the above, just to keep this idea in reserve.... although it might be a good idea to warn these organizations to be prepared to respond if "Wyoming" (in the form of the AG or the Governor) tries this crap again.

Terry, 230RN

PS. I was ready to come home and fire off some letters to the AG and other contact points listed in the previous posts but took a long-overdue and well-deserved nap. When I woke up and updated myself on this issue, I discovered that "Wyoming" had backtracked on it... So I'm just waiting, ready to send off letters if the issue arises again.

Are there any efforts to persuade the Legislature to change the wording of the law to block this crap forever?

I just wish Coloradans had been this alert and energetic when Colorado changed its law so that non-resident CCWs from other States would no longer be recognized.

"Ahh, but it doesn't affect me, personally, so why the bleep should I care?" seemed to be the attitude of Colorado gunnies.

They rely on that attitude to slip it into you. So now there's no point in me getting a Utah permit to keep in reserve in case I lose my wallet... with my resident Colorado permit in it.

Frankly, I'm a little browned off at Colorado gunnies for allowing this to happen two years ago.

Congratulations, Wyoming gunnies!

TAT

statelineblues
February 21, 2009, 09:54 AM
I got the e-mail back from the AG's office. It said they would stay with the current reciprocity laws. Of course we have to keep an eye on them.

So what states are on the current list? I would hope they add the new states (like CT) to the list.

altitude_19
February 22, 2009, 10:50 AM
So, howzabout we don't dance on the proverbial grave of this AG and let him know it pays to keep his constituency happy (atleast until we can replace him)? Seems to me we got satisfaction on unusually short order this time around. It's time for...
Phase II:
Write and call AGAIN and thank the office for such speedy resolution. I KNOW it may not reflect your true sentiments, but it will do more to re-enforce a favorable state of affairs than screaming in their faces about how it never should have happened in the first place, won't it? IF they only put the brakes on because of uproar, we'd be screwed. No uproar stays loud long enough to be a permanent solution. DIAL! TYPE! SAY THANK YOU AND KEEP THEM ON OUR SIDE!

Joey
February 22, 2009, 07:07 PM
Poke Here (http://www.wyomingnews.com/articles/2009/02/22/featured_story/01top_02-22-09.txt) for a article in Cheyenne's paper & it might be something you would want to leave feedback on.

Joey
February 22, 2009, 07:15 PM
So what states are on the current list? I would hope they add the new states (like CT) to the list.

By statute, Wyoming honors concealed carry permits from other states that have laws similar to Wyoming’s. The Wyoming Attorney General’s Office is undertaking a thorough review of the concealed carry statutes of the 49 other states to determine which states have laws similar to Wyoming’s. Once that review is complete, this website will feature a list of the states from which Wyoming will honor concealed carry permits. Until then, the Division of Criminal Investigation will honor permits from those states with which Wyoming had reciprocity as of January 1, 2009.

Accordingly, Wyoming will continue to recognize concealed firearm permits from the following states. The listing also encompasses those states that have indicated they honor Wyoming permits.

Alaska Louisiana Oklahoma
Alabama Michigan Pennsylvania
Colorado Mississippi South Carolina
Florida Montana South Dakota
Georgia New Hampshire Tennessee
Idaho New Mexico Texas
Indiana Ohio Utah
Kentucky

wyocarp
February 22, 2009, 08:55 PM
So, the plan for this week is to get the list to grow, and I'll be writing and calling to see if that can happen. Do others have an interest and a couple of free minutes?

Joey
February 22, 2009, 09:10 PM
So, the plan for this week is to get the list to grow, and I'll be writing and calling to see if that can happen. Do others have an interest and a couple of free minutes?

I've sent my local, county and state reps e-mails & phone calls along with the Gov. Have only received one reply so far from a county legislature that is not even in my district & it was nothing more than 5-8 words :(

Either they are getting slammed or are just to lazy to respond & I'd like to think it's that they are getting slammed about this issue and can't keep up....

rmmoore
February 23, 2009, 02:53 AM
I spent about a half hour in Dept. of Criminal Investigation Friday discussing this issue. It is NOT a done deal yet. You must understand the position the Atty Gen. is coming from. In Wyoming, a drug conviction persuant to the Controlled Substance Act, will disqualify you from getting a CCW Permit. In some of the States we currently have reciprocity with, a misdemeanor drug conviction DOES NOT disqualify you from getting a CCW. So, if you are a resident of one of these States, you could legally carry in Wyoming, when OUR OWN residents could not. The Atty. Gen has a duty and responsibility to periodically review the agreements and/or compacts we have with other States relating to CCW reciprocity. I have mixed emotions about the whole thing, but call the Governor's office and the AG to express your thoughts.

altitude_19
February 23, 2009, 08:17 AM
I understand the AG's concerns completely. But he has to understand that the easiest, and most arbitrary decision is not always the best one. Maybe he thought he was doing the right thing immediately knocking most states of the reciprocity list. Regardless:
Had he considered asking those states to amend their requirements to come in line with Wyoming's?
Had he considered that neighboring states' CCW criteria may be "close enough" already? After all, some out-of-state drivers may have committed misdemeanors that would have precluded them from obtaining Wyoming licenses, but Wyoming still honors those licenses. Reciprocity does not have to mean identical operating procedures...if it did they might as well just merge the states now (Midwestota?).
Had he considered proposing that Wyoming alter it's own CCW criteria? There is a strong argument to be made that one mistake involving illicit substances shouldn't permanently strip one of one's right to defend oneself, family, and property.
This is starting to sound very much like a "shoot first ask questions later" frame of mind the AG is operating with. I doubt he thought it through or considered the VAST and far reaching inconvenience he would be causing. All the same, you fine folks sound like you've still got the right idea. FOLLOW UP. Whether you think he should just let it slide, alter Wyoming law, or request neighboring states alter theirs. Remember our goal is the MAINTAIN RECIPROCITY regardless of how you advocate doing it.

IndianaDon
February 25, 2009, 01:00 PM
wyocarp:

I sent email messages to everyone you listed. Thank-you.

moooose102
February 25, 2009, 10:02 PM
sounds to me like the wyoming a.g. is a real p.i.t.a. . i am glad i don't live there. as for the reciprocity, i think ted nugent has it right. "the second amendment IS my ccw permit". unfortunatly, the overwhelming majority of us do not have the cubic dollars to hire lawyers to get us out of things like this. it is unlikely that i would be going to wyoming anytime soon anyway, but it is to bad another politician shoves his personal veiws down the rest of our necks. everybody thinks they need to interpet the constitution, instead of reading it at face value.

Fastsheriff
February 25, 2009, 10:04 PM
All of the States were placed back on the list. It is under further discussion with the AG.

CoRoMo
March 3, 2009, 06:09 PM
I just received a memo from Christopher Crofts in response to a number of emails that I sent.

MEMORANDUM

TO: All the persons who have communicated recently with the Governor’s office concerning the issue of reciprocity of Wyoming’s Concealed Weapons Permits with respect to other states

Introduction:

Thank you all for your interest and input on this important subject. Due to the large numbers of comments/inquiries we received, it is not possible to give each of you an individual response. So I will try to generally describe and explain the situation here, and if you have further questions or comments you may direct them to me at the email address to which this will be attached.

First I would like to say that our Governor, Attorney General, Legislature, and most citizens of Wyoming are very supportive generally of all 2nd Amendment rights. But all of us in the Executive Branch of government are obliged to follow the law passed by our Legislature, regardless of our personal preferences. Here is a description of what happened, what the problem was, and remains, with an explanation of our plan going forward with this issue:

Background of the Issue:

Current Wyoming Statues (§ 6-8-104) provides that persons from other states are immune from our law generally criminalizing the concealed carry of weapons if “the person holds a valid permit authorizing him to carry a concealed firearm authorized and issued by a governmental agency or entity in another state that recognizes Wyoming permits, is a valid statewide permit, and the state has laws similar to the provisions of this section, as determined by the attorney general, including a proper background check of the permit holder.”

The difficulty that has arisen recently has to do with scope and meaning of the phrase “laws similar to” quoted above, and more specifically with how the various states handle the issue of prior misdemeanor convictions for controlled substance offenses or other controlled substance involvement.

Wyoming Statutes, in a further provision of the same section quoted above, provides that a Wyoming permit may only be given to someone “who has not been committed to a state or federal facility for the abuse of a controlled substance or convicted of a violation of the Wyoming Controlled Substances Act of 1971 [citing sections of entire act] or similar laws of any other state or the United States relating to controlled substances.” (Elsewhere in the law are other references to disqualification based on the person being an “unlawful user” of or having participated in “incidents involving” controlled substances.)

Wyoming’s Controlled Substances Act is a comprehensive act, and it includes misdemeanor provisions concerning the possession of small amounts and/or the use of controlled substances. (It contains felony provisions too, of course, but they are not relevant to this discussion because a felony conviction will generally bar any possession of a firearm, concealed or not.)

Several years ago Wyoming was reviewing the application of another state for reciprocity with Wyoming, and it was noticed that the state’s laws governing issuance of its concealment permits did not bar applicants in that state based on prior misdemeanor drug convictions. At that time it was determined not to grant reciprocity to that state because its laws were not deemed to be “similar” to Wyoming’s and for the seemingly obvious reason that it seemed inconsistent and unfair to recognize a permit holder (who might have a drug conviction) from another State, when the same person could not qualify for a permit in Wyoming. At that time it was determined to survey the laws of the other 49 states to see if similar inconsistencies existed.

That survey was completed on January 23, 2009. The results showed that eight other states have laws similar to Wyoming’s, barring applicants with prior misdemeanor drug convictions. Twelve states bar applicants for some period of time, ranging from three to ten years after the conviction. Eight states disqualify for controlled substance “use” under varying circumstances. Four states disqualify applicants who are “addicted” to controlled substances, and eighteen do not appear to have any disqualifier for misdemeanor drug convictions, or usage or addiction.

Based on the results of this survey, and the determination that had been made in 2007 when the survey was commenced, the Division of Criminal Investigation announced the change in Wyoming’s reciprocity policy that led to your concerns.

Current Status:

Recognizing that this change potentially had far-reaching consequences, possibly causing other states to withdraw recognition of Wyoming’s permits, and because the survey and comparison for “similarity” had been too narrow in scope by only considering the controlled substance issue, the Governor and Attorney General decided to rescind that change and leave things in the “status quo” that has existed for several years while we study this further.

The Attorney General plans to survey the other states again, and look not just at the controlled substance issue, but at the entire list of requirements for the issuance of a permit. He will then try to develop some understanding of what our Legislature might have intended by the word “similar” when they passed our statute several years ago, and do a more comprehensive comparison of the laws for “similarity” – looking further than the single issue of drugs. Obviously there will be differences from one state to the next, and that term (similar) will require some degree of judgment to be exercised by the Attorney General under the current statute. His survey may show that some states have more stringent requirements than Wyoming’s in some area other than drugs, and through some balancing or weighting of all of the criteria, he may decide that they are “similar” enough to satisfy the Legislature’s intent. He plans to complete that new survey, and arrive at some conclusion on that issue, prior to the time our Legislature meets next year. If it is his “determination” that some narrowing of our grants of reciprocity must occur under the current law, he will make that determination prior to the legislative session, so that they may change our statute if they wish.

At this time I cannot predict the outcome of either the Attorney General’s review, or what, if anything, our Legislature might do with this issue.

leadcounsel
March 3, 2009, 08:56 PM
MEMORANDUM
TO: All the persons who have communicated recently with the Governor’s office concerning the issue of reciprocity of Wyoming’s Concealed Weapons Permits with respect to other states
Introduction:
Thank you all for your interest and input on this important subject. Due to the large numbers of comments/inquiries we received, it is not possible to give each of you an individual response. So I will try to generally describe and explain the situation here, and if you have further questions or comments you may direct them to me at the email address to which this will be attached.
First I would like to say that our Governor, Attorney General, Legislature, and most citizens of Wyoming are very supportive generally of all 2nd Amendment rights. But all of us in the Executive Branch of government are obliged to follow the law passed by our Legislature, regardless of our personal preferences. Here is a description of what happened, what the problem was, and remains, with an explanation of our plan going forward with this issue:
Background of the Issue:
Current Wyoming Statues (§ 6-8-104) provides that persons from other states are immune from our law generally criminalizing the concealed carry of weapons if “the person holds a valid permit authorizing him to carry a concealed firearm authorized and issued by a governmental agency or entity in another state that recognizes Wyoming permits, is a valid statewide permit, and the state has laws similar to the provisions of this section, as determined by the attorney general, including a proper background check of the permit holder.”
The difficulty that has arisen recently has to do with scope and meaning of the phrase “laws similar to” quoted above, and more specifically with how the various states handle the issue of prior misdemeanor convictions for controlled substance offenses or other controlled substance involvement.
Wyoming Statutes, in a further provision of the same section quoted above, provides that a Wyoming permit may only be given to someone “who has not been committed to a state or federal facility for the abuse of a controlled substance or convicted of a violation of the Wyoming Controlled Substances Act of 1971 [citing sections of entire act] or similar laws of any other state or the United States relating to controlled substances.” (Elsewhere in the law are other references to disqualification based on the person being an “unlawful user” of or having participated in “incidents involving” controlled substances.)
Wyoming’s Controlled Substances Act is a comprehensive act, and it includes misdemeanor provisions concerning the possession of small amounts and/or the use of controlled substances. (It contains felony provisions too, of course, but they are not relevant to this discussion because a felony conviction will generally bar any possession of a firearm, concealed or not.)
Several years ago Wyoming was reviewing the application of another state for reciprocity with Wyoming, and it was noticed that the state’s laws governing issuance of its concealment permits did not bar applicants in that state based on prior misdemeanor drug convictions. At that time it was determined not to grant reciprocity to that state because its laws were not deemed to be “similar” to Wyoming’s and for the seemingly obvious reason that it seemed inconsistent and unfair to recognize a permit holder (who might have a drug conviction) from another State, when the same person could not qualify for a permit in Wyoming. At that time it was determined to survey the laws of the other 49 states to see if similar inconsistencies existed.
That survey was completed on January 23, 2009. The results showed that eight other states have laws similar to Wyoming’s, barring applicants with prior misdemeanor drug convictions. Twelve states bar applicants for some period of time, ranging from three to ten years after the conviction. Eight states disqualify for controlled substance “use” under varying circumstances. Four states disqualify applicants who are “addicted” to controlled substances, and eighteen do not appear to have any disqualifier for misdemeanor drug convictions, or usage or addiction.
Based on the results of this survey, and the determination that had been made in 2007 when the survey was commenced, the Division of Criminal Investigation announced the change in Wyoming’s reciprocity policy that led to your concerns.
Current Status:
Recognizing that this change potentially had far-reaching consequences, possibly causing other states to withdraw recognition of Wyoming’s permits, and because the survey and comparison for “similarity” had been too narrow in scope by only considering the controlled substance issue, the Governor and Attorney General decided to rescind that change and leave things in the “status quo” that has existed for several years while we study this further.
The Attorney General plans to survey the other states again, and look not just at the controlled substance issue, but at the entire list of requirements for the issuance of a permit. He will then try to develop some understanding of what our Legislature might have intended by the word “similar” when they passed our statute several years ago, and do a more comprehensive comparison of the laws for “similarity” – looking further than the single issue of drugs. Obviously there will be differences from one state to the next, and that term (similar) will require some degree of judgment to be exercised by the Attorney General under the current statute. His survey may show that some states have more stringent requirements than Wyoming’s in some area other than drugs, and through some balancing or weighting of all of the criteria, he may decide that they are “similar” enough to satisfy the Legislature’s intent. He plans to complete that new survey, and arrive at some conclusion on that issue, prior to the time our Legislature meets next year. If it is his “determination” that some narrowing of our grants of reciprocity must occur under the current law, he will make that determination prior to the legislative session, so that they may change our statute if they wish.
At this time I cannot predict the outcome of either the Attorney General’s review, or what, if anything, our Legislature might do with this issue.

freewheeling
May 3, 2009, 04:02 AM
This is an interesting exchange, and kudos to the activists who contributed to the reciprocity rollback. The exclusion of everyone with a drug misdemeanor for life seems a bit extreme, but as a general rule federalism is a good thing. I would rather have the states work out their differences regarding reciprocity than allow a national statute to make that determination, because once it's in the purview of the national legislature it would be easier to erode.

One compromise that might be pursued in Wyoming would be something like a five-year background check for substance misdemeanors, but I don't know how that would impact reciprocity. VA only excludes felonies, I think, and nutcases. The latter would probably exclude most of the residents of Los Angeles and New York City, except for a few friends of mine.

Again, national law would not be a good thing. Moreover, if compromises limiting CCW in shall issue states were required to win over most may issue states to national reciprocity, the shall issue states would end up with net restrictions their residents would otherwise have rejected. Of course, the up side would be that New Jersey residents would be able to carry for the first time since the 19th century. Tough call, I guess.

skoro
May 4, 2009, 01:31 AM
hmmmm...

I was last in Wyoming four years ago, and thought it was a beautiful state. Clear skies, wide open spaces and probably more wildlife than I've ever encountered elsewhere.

But now that they've written off Texas, I regrettably write off Wyoming.

Jorg Nysgerrig
May 4, 2009, 02:01 AM
But now that they've written off Texas, I regrettably write off Wyoming.
I suspect you didn't read the entire thread as the end includes details that 2 months ago Wyoming put this on hold for review and earlier reciprocity stands.

22-rimfire
May 4, 2009, 10:25 AM
I think the solution is to relax Wyoming's law somewhat to be similar to other states' licensing requirements. It is not a race to see who can be more restrictive. Misdemeanor convictions should not be a disqualifier since they are generally not a disqualifer for purchase of a firearm.

In general, if State X will not honor resident carry permits from State Y, then State Y will not honor State X's permits regardless of State X's requirements.

I have always wondered why Washington and Oregon do not honor the TN permit. I suspect I know the answer now.

CleverNickname
May 4, 2009, 11:09 AM
Oregon doesn't recognize a Tennesee permit because they don't recognize any out of state permits.

Lurp
May 4, 2009, 06:31 PM
I was wondering when we would hear about what ever became of this matter. I wrote them a couple of months ago concerning my disappointment and never heard back from them until you posted that. Thanks.

ArmedBear
May 4, 2009, 06:36 PM
Idaho may not categorically deny a permit if you have a misdemeanor drug conviction, but I doubt you could get a permit without a squeaky-clean record. That's likely true for any states' licensing.

I know that Wyoming is still listed by our CWL office as recognizing ID permits, so we'll see, I guess.

TAB
May 4, 2009, 07:18 PM
I think the solution is to relax Wyoming's law somewhat to be similar to other states' licensing requirements

why should one state bow down to other states? That completly defeat the prupose of having states.

If you enjoyed reading about "Wyoming keeps 8 and drops 14 other states from reciprocity" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!