Dan Wesson Model 14 .357 Magnum…fixed sight…worth putting a 6″ barrel on?

PDA

Southern Shooter
February 18, 2009, 09:55 AM
I have a Dan Wesson Model 14, .357 Magnum, fixed-sight gun with a 2 1/2″ barrel. I have a chance to pick up a 6″ vented, heavy barrel that was on a Model 15 with the adjustable sights. I know that I will have to exchange the front sight on the Model 15 barrel with one from a Model 14 barrel. Ok…now with all that said here is my question…..

Am I wasting time and money putting a 6″ vented heavy barrel on a fixed-sight revolver? I want to use it for medium sized game out to 25 yards. Would I just be as well off to leave it with the short barrel and use it for close up shooting?

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Dan Wesson Model 14 .357 Magnum…fixed sight…worth putting a 6″ barrel on?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
madcratebuilder
February 18, 2009, 10:27 AM
Sell you 14 and buy a 15. I see 15 frames and cylinders on gunbroker, but they go almost as high as a complete revolver.
You are very limited with the fixed sight unless your good at Kentucky windage. You can make a fixed sight work, but it's for one load and one range.

ArmedBear
February 18, 2009, 11:10 AM
I'm not too excited about a vented barrel on a hunting revolver, due to issues with hardcast bullets.

Southern Shooter
February 18, 2009, 11:13 AM
What is the concern there? Please tell me before I mess up my Dan Wesson model 15. I was going to use some Federal 180 grain Cast Core in it.

Thanks

LoneCoon
February 18, 2009, 11:14 AM
I would also sell the 14 and get a 15. I have a 14 and while I love it, I really wish I had adjustable sights.

On the other hand, you can put an 6" barrel on it and get it tapped for a scope if you're going to use it for hunting.

ArmedBear
February 18, 2009, 11:22 AM
Leading up the holes.

I don't think it does any actual damage to the gun. You can try it and see.:) Just don't buy a 500 bullet bulk pack before you do.

Southern Shooter
February 18, 2009, 11:24 AM
Oh, you mean ported barrels there is a problem with. This is a vent-ribbed barrel...like on a shotgun. There should be no problem there, huh?

ArmedBear
February 18, 2009, 11:26 AM
Oh - vent-ribbed. No problem at all.:)

I believe that some of the old guns (e.g. old Colt magnums) were sold with "vents", now called ports, but I could be wrong. That's what I thought you meant.

Southern Shooter
February 18, 2009, 11:58 AM
I was worried for a moment. Don't want to damage this Model 15. I can shoot standing, non-supported and put 158 grain .357 rounds in less than a 3" group at 25 yards all day long with it. Of course, that is single action. But, still, it is a fun gun to shoot.

Southern Shooter
February 18, 2009, 01:07 PM
Just wanted to show the Dan Wesson model 14 that I am considering putting the 6" barrel on. Not a delicate looking revolver by any means.

jbbaldwin
February 18, 2009, 05:33 PM
I would think at 25 yards you would be fine with the model 14. However I would probably opt for a model 15 since these guns are normally very accurate and you could reach out further than 25 yards.

www.danwessonforum.com

LoneCoon
February 18, 2009, 05:35 PM
Southern shooter:

If you don't want the 2.5" barrel, lemme know.

If you enjoyed reading about "Dan Wesson Model 14 .357 Magnum…fixed sight…worth putting a 6″ barrel on?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!