Headed to the CMP on Friday. Any advice on what to look for?

PDA

bryanZ06
February 18, 2009, 10:53 AM
I'm headed to the CMP South Store on Friday to pick up a Garand. What should I look for on the rifle? I'll probably be picking up a service grade BTW.

If you enjoyed reading about "Headed to the CMP on Friday. Any advice on what to look for?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
skidooman603
February 18, 2009, 11:10 AM
Bore and Throat measurements which on service grade wont be an issue. What ever brand floats your boat and a bankrupcy lawyer if you arent careful. :D Im jealous. Which one you going to? No or So?

skidooman603
February 18, 2009, 11:12 AM
i would guess south now I see youre from Ga. The CMP people there should be most helpful too.

sarge83
February 18, 2009, 11:23 AM
"Bore and Throat measurements which on service grade wont be an issue. What ever brand floats your boat and a bankrupcy lawyer if you arent careful. Im jealous. Which one you going to? No or So?"

If you can find a rack or field grade with good bore and throat measurements all you might have to do is some wood cleanup.

I went once to just buy a garand like you. Came back with 2 and almost bought a third. Stayed for three hours...

Oh, if you have all your paperwork completed before going that helps speed up your checkout process.

Geneseo1911
February 18, 2009, 12:16 PM
what's the right way to take the measurements? Will the OP need to invest in a set of go/no-go gauges?

pgeleven
February 18, 2009, 12:26 PM
+1 bankruptcy lawyer

AirForceShooter
February 18, 2009, 12:29 PM
Talk to the people there.
Be ready to say and talk about kids and family.
Get friendly.
Almost let them pick one out for you.

And ask what's in the back.

AFS

sarge83
February 18, 2009, 01:23 PM
They had two .30 caliber gauges you could borrow to measure bores when I was there. I would look for 1 or 1.5 is possible, no more than 2. If you drop the gauge in the barrel and in swallows it up move on.

I have two field grade SA's and a service grade H&R. The H&R I ordered through the mail and it gauges as nearly new.

The two SA's gauged 1 and 1.5 when I bought them at the anniston store in 07.

Nugilum
February 18, 2009, 10:18 PM
When you first walk in, ask the guys behind the counter what paperwork you should complete at that moment. Trust me, this will drastically shorten your checkout time.

Also, if you have little willpower to the awesomeness of the Garand, go with lots of cash and NO credit cards. Or have your bankruptcy lawyer on speed dial. Ask me how I know... :evil:

Oh yeah, get several cans of ammo while your there. I would suggest one spam can of "407-CAN" (This has 24 loaded en-bloc clips. $60. These clips can be reused) and as many "415-CN" spam cans (this has 240 rounds. $67 each) as you're willing to buy.

Let us know how it goes! :D

bryanZ06
February 19, 2009, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the advice. I'm definitely going to get at least 1 rifle (maybe 2) and probably around 1000 rounds of ammo. I'll post up some pics when I get a chance.

If you enjoyed reading about "Headed to the CMP on Friday. Any advice on what to look for?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!