Range Report: 30-06 and .17HMR with Pics

PDA

Dirty Dawg
February 18, 2009, 02:15 PM
Awoke this morning to a beautiful day and thought I'd spend just a portion of it at the range. My rifles of choice today: Savage 110 30-06 wearing a Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40 and my little Henry .17HMR with iron sights.

Up first, the Savage. I took this rifle to the range a week or so ago to dial in the new scope. I was pleased with the results but afterwards decided to lighten the pull on the AccuTrigger and wanted to make sure the rifle was still dialed in after that adjustment. Here's my five round group, out of a cold rifle at 100 yards using a Lead Sled and about 25 pounds of weight:

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/6074/3006at100tn6.jpg (http://www.imagehosting.com/)

Needless to say, I was pleased with the results and after just a few more rounds without the sled or rest of any kind, I decided to move on to my plinker, the .17HMR.

I had taken the Henry out to the range one time previously and my groups were not what I thought the gun was capable of so I was determined to adjust the rear sight to my liking. Twenty or thirty rounds later I was able to put together this five round group with iron (fiber optic) sights at 50 yards. The flyer was my first shot and I knew I pulled it. Otherwise, I was more than happy with this group and again decided to quit while I was ahead:

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/2747/17hmrat50zp8.jpg (http://www.imagehosting.com/)

I did experience one issue today and thought I'd pass it by you more experienced riflemen. On two occasions, I received a pretty healthy (or unhealthy considering) dose of blowback from the Henry. One of those two really peppered my face and made me glad I had my shooting glasses on. This is the first lever gun I've owned and only my second time to shoot it so I'm wondering if I didn't get the action fully closed or if this is just the nature of lever guns?

All in all it was a very good day at the range. I'm pretty new to shooting at a controlled rifle range-- this being my 3rd visit other than college marksmanship class 25 years ago -- and I have a LOT to learn. As much as I miss the old days of plinking or rabbit hunting out in our old pasture, I'm really enjoying punching paper and can easily see the attraction that keeps so many of you going back time and again for more.

PS: With results like this, I don't know how anyone can bash Savage rifles, or Nikon scopes for that matter. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Range Report: 30-06 and .17HMR with Pics" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MotorOilMcCall
February 18, 2009, 02:31 PM
Sounds like the Henry I had... Make sure the lever is completely closed (I had to take mine to a smith because it would fire without having the action completely closed), and hold it tightly.

BTW... Mine was chambered in 22WMR.

Dirty Dawg
February 18, 2009, 04:25 PM
Boy, I hope it's not something that has to go to a gunsmith. It's a pretty nice little rifle, though I wish I had bought a Marlin 39 instead. Oh well, live and learn.

MotorOilMcCall
February 18, 2009, 06:32 PM
I'm not sure how exactly he fixed mine, otherwise I'd pass the word. He retired last year, so I don't even have a way to get a hold of him anymore. I would just cycle it a few times and see if indeed you can get the thing to fire without the chamber being closed. Use snap caps if you can find them.

jpwilly
February 18, 2009, 07:05 PM
I see only two holes from the savage...or are you trying to say all five shots went through what looks like those two holes.

Dirty Dawg
February 18, 2009, 08:33 PM
Five shots, two, slightly oval holes. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't done it. I don't know how else to explain it. Pulled the trigger five times. Felt the recoil five times. Ended up with this.

Like I said, I followed these with five more without the bench rest. Those were much looser, as you'd expect, but were all on paper in a 6 or 7 inch group so I know I didn't miss the entire target with three shots from the rest. Make of it what you will but that's the way it happened.

jpwilly
February 18, 2009, 10:22 PM
That's on heck of a group! I've never seen it but I do believe that a Savage rifle in a rest could do that.

351 WINCHESTER
February 18, 2009, 10:29 PM
I have a friend that is an accuracy nut. He's always sending a gun to shielen for one of their barrels. He walked into our local gunshop one day with a target. It only had one hole. He told us it was five rounds. At first I thought he was pulling my leg, but after talking to some of the guys that have seen him shoot I believe him now. Seems he runs a patch down the bore after each shot. He loads all of his ammo too. You never know.

Dirty Dawg
February 19, 2009, 12:50 AM
All I can say it this was the first five rounds out of a cold barrel. I also let the barrel rest a minute or two between shots. That said, I'm a little freaked out. Maybe I did miss? I don't think I did but I suppose it's always possible. I guess now I have to go back out to the range and try it again!!! Like I need an excuse. :)

Personally, I was a little more pleased with my 17HMR group since that was done with iron sights. Other than shooting a few rounds with a rimfire scope, all my experience has been with iron sights. I'm just now really getting my feet wet with a scope but having fun for sure!

Deepskyy
February 19, 2009, 01:04 AM
DD...
Did you go with the Prostaff with the BDC rings or without?
(I have one of both!)
BDC rings are going on my 7mm Savage 111fxp and the plain one currently lives atop of my ruger 10/22

Dirty Dawg
February 19, 2009, 01:14 AM
It's the ProStaff BDC mounted with Leupold rings and Weaver bases. Pretty much just what I could get my hands on at the time. Nothing fancy at all. It's a blue collar rifle after all. :D

I'm hoping to get out to a 200+ range soon to see how the BDC reticle works and how accurate I am at longer range.

Deepskyy
February 19, 2009, 11:00 PM
Let me know!
I'll do the same once I get the 7mm Remmy dialed in at 100.

Speedogomer
February 19, 2009, 11:38 PM
Not to knock your shooting abilities, because I wasn't there, but the first picture really does look like 2 holes.

Who knows though right? Maybe it's 5 shots, I believe you when you say you fired 5 times, it just looks like 2 holes :-P

I'm a big Savage fan and I've heard a lot of good things about Nikon's Opitcs as well.

1858rem
February 20, 2009, 08:24 AM
the "two holes" look kinda tall.......mic em";)

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
February 20, 2009, 10:05 AM
Hee hee, gotta love teensy groups - good man! :)

Dirty Dawg
February 20, 2009, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the comments guys. I have no problem with anyone knocking my shooting abilities, I knock them myself. But in this case, it's more than conceivable since the rifle was basically held in a vise. I don't know how many of you have ever used a Lead Sled but it's very stable once you add weight to it. It ain't fancy and it really ain't fair but it is effective.

Dirty Dawg
February 20, 2009, 09:31 PM
I went back and took a closer look and it seems that the hole on the right is slightly larger-- maybe a 1/16 or 3/32. Also, the hole on the left has a very sharp edge to it with a distinct outline in gray. The tattered bits on the hole on the right show more damage and the outline is much broader and softer. Most of this can be seen in the picture at the top of the thread. I don't know if any of this amounts to anything, just my observations.

The good news is, a buddy of mine wants to go out to the range next week to sight in his AK so it looks like I'll get a chance to see if I can repeat this group (or something close) or if it was just beginner's luck.

Speedogomer
February 22, 2009, 09:13 AM
Just for fun, make sure you include a 5 shot group at 100' from the AK :D

CZ223
February 22, 2009, 05:12 PM
of course there are 5 shots in that group.:evil:

If you enjoyed reading about "Range Report: 30-06 and .17HMR with Pics" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!