Mauser Twist Question

PDA

viking499
February 18, 2009, 03:14 PM
I have a sporterized Gustav mauser in 6.5x55 with the original step barrel on it.

Does anyone know what twist the step barrels are. I heard either 1:8 or 1:9. Figured they would all be the same.......

Anybody have an idea?

If you enjoyed reading about "Mauser Twist Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NCsmitty
February 18, 2009, 03:21 PM
Military 6.5x55 barrels are 1in7.5 twist. Made to handle up to the 160gr RN.
NCsmitty

rcmodel
February 18, 2009, 03:43 PM
Why don't you measure it yourself?

Use a tight patch on a cleaning rod.

Flag the rod back by the handle with a strip of tape, mark it again at the rear of the receiver, then push it through the bore until it makes one complete turn, and mark it again.

Measure between the marks and that is the exact twist rate.

rc

viking499
February 18, 2009, 03:52 PM
Tried that last night. Started with my "mops". One was to big and the other was to small. Went to the patches and by the time I got enough patches, The plastic thread broke off the rod. Took a couple of minutes to get the patch and broken piece out. Gonna have to buy a better cleaning rod. Ten minutes after I started, I knew no more than when I started. Was just one of those evenings.......:banghead:

viking499
February 18, 2009, 11:50 PM
Checked it this evening. 1:7.5

If you enjoyed reading about "Mauser Twist Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!