Help. Marlin 60 bolt stuck open.

PDA

The Swede
February 18, 2009, 03:34 PM
I just bought this rifle from a gentleman a couple weeks ago so it is not brand new. However it does look it, and he said he only shot 100 or so rounds through it. So today is the first time I brought it out to the range. First 20 or so shot were great. No problems and It was super accurate. I was shooting Winchester Wildcat. I don't think this detail matters, but on the second round I only loaded the magazine with five rounds. On the last shot, the bolt stayed open but is now stuck open. Any idea what has happened? I would appreciate any input. I will also post some pictures if necessary. Thank you for your help!
-Nick

If you enjoyed reading about "Help. Marlin 60 bolt stuck open." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MatthewVanitas
February 18, 2009, 04:01 PM
Two things: is there a little lever down by the trigger guard? If so, that's the bolt release. Try hitting that.

If you don't have one, you have an earlier model, which really shouldn't lock back after emptying the mag. However the older models do have a manual bolt-hold-open in that there's a notch in the side of the receiver that you can press the bolt into as it's held back, and it will stay back.

If you have no bolt-release lever on the triggerguard, try just pulling the bolt back slightly and pulling the bolt towards the ejection-port side of the receiver (away from the closed side where the holding notch is).

Let us know if either of those work. The Model 60 is an extremely simple design, only so many things that could be going on.

The Swede
February 18, 2009, 04:10 PM
Sorry i should have mentioned the bolt release isn't releasing the bolt. It has tension like it is supposed to but it wont release the bolt.

The Swede
February 18, 2009, 04:15 PM
Ok, I just freed it. I'm not sure how but I got it to slide forward. The bolt was in the extreme rear position, much past where the bolt hold-open actually holds the bolt open. Maybe it needs some lube. That doesn't seem right to me though. Something must be wrong inside. I'll take the stock off and take a look.

Funderb
February 18, 2009, 04:17 PM
is it tube fed or detachable mag?

Funderb
February 18, 2009, 04:18 PM
there is actually a helpful guide on THR on how to take it all apart, with pictures. search it up.

The Swede
February 18, 2009, 04:18 PM
It is tube fed.

The Swede
February 18, 2009, 04:19 PM
there is actually a helpful guide on THR on how to take it all apart, with pictures. search it up.

I have seen that actually. I was going to tear it down but it looked so clean I didn't bother.

Doc Savage
February 18, 2009, 04:54 PM
I wouldn't let the exterior looks fool you. I have a threeof the older model 60's. First one shot wonderfully. Had a little trouble with the next two I got for the kids. I went ahead and tore mine down and cleaned it while cleaning the others, and even thought it "looked" fine, it was dirtier than the others.

Robert

The Swede
February 18, 2009, 04:57 PM
Well I made the decision after I took the stock off not to go ahead with the cleaning.

offthepaper
February 18, 2009, 05:55 PM
Well I made the decision after I took the stock off not to go ahead with the cleaning.

Well, you're already ankle deep in it, might as well go ahead and clean and lube the rifle and you can forget about it for the next 4-5-years.

Bill B
February 18, 2009, 06:18 PM
It sounds like it went in the lock out position.Mine has the auto stay open and a manual lock back position.When its in the lock out position just pull the charging handle back and to the right.This will release it to the auto open position.Then just hit the release.Its a safety:)

Duke of Doubt
February 18, 2009, 06:18 PM
Filthy little thang in there, ain't she?

Bill B
February 18, 2009, 06:20 PM
To lock it back ,you just pull the handle back and push in on it.

SaMx
February 18, 2009, 06:25 PM
wait a minute, what's this about pulling the charging handle in and out to lock the bolt? I have a marlin 60 and never noticed anything like that.

EDIT: holy crap it works. when the bolt is pulled all the way back you can push the charging handle in and it locks it in the rearmost position. I never knew my rifle did that. What's the point of having it lock back in that position, in addition to the normal bolt hold open?

Bill B
February 18, 2009, 06:52 PM
Its a lockout with out a key.

Duke of Doubt
February 18, 2009, 06:57 PM
SaMx: "I never knew my rifle did that."

Have you discovered its "whisper mode" yet?

Bill B
February 18, 2009, 07:26 PM
Mine has never done that while i was shooting though.Its a manual ,not an auto lock.

MatthewVanitas
February 18, 2009, 07:36 PM
wait a minute, what's this about pulling the charging handle in and out to lock the bolt? I have a marlin 60 and never noticed anything like that.

EDIT: holy crap it works.

I owned Marlins for years, and never knew about it either until I read about it here on THR. Up until then I was just jamming a piece of plastic into the ejection port to serve as a range-flag during ceasefires at the shooting range.

Hud
February 18, 2009, 08:29 PM
Swede,

If you pull the bolt all the way back with the charging handle, there should be a gap between the back of the charge handle & the receiver of approx. 3/16" to 1/4". If it goes to the rear further than that or hits the receiver, you may possibly have a broken buffer that is jamming the bolt to the rear.

Hud

Runningman
February 18, 2009, 09:31 PM
I'm with Hud..... check the recoil buffer, make sure it is in there and not broken. They break sometimes. A few years ago a coworker bought a used Model 60 was having problems with it. When I took it apart there was no recoil buffer. I can only guess that it was broken than removed.

blkbrd666
February 18, 2009, 09:47 PM
Does anyone else's charging handle have an arrow on it pointing in toward the receiver???

rangerruck
February 18, 2009, 09:54 PM
that has been on the mod 60 for years, the bolt handle can move in and out, just a bit, when you have the bolt in the extreme back position. so if you have it in wayback mode, and push it inward, it will stay locked back. just pull out
on the handle.

The Swede
February 18, 2009, 10:15 PM
Bill B, thank you! I think this must be what happened. I think the bolt held open as normal on the last shot, I did pull on it though to get a better look in the chamber to be sure it was empty. I guess I must have locked it back. Good news though I kinda thought the rifle was damaged. Thanks for all the replies!

If you enjoyed reading about "Help. Marlin 60 bolt stuck open." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!