9mm defense ammo question

PDA

SJ78
February 18, 2009, 08:48 PM
I wanted to know does anyone know of any test done on Federal 135 gr
personal defense ammo ? I remember trying these out at the range and they seemed awful weak . Does anyone think these are decent defense ammo ?

If you enjoyed reading about "9mm defense ammo question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NG VI
February 18, 2009, 09:58 PM
Are they Hydra-Shok bullets? It may not say they are on the box, but if you look at the cavity you will know by the post that it is a hydra-shok. I looked at a box of Federal Personal Defense .40 S&W ammo about nine months ago, but it was a 135 grain Hydra-shok with an advertised velocity of 1170 feet per second or so. It was slower than the 155 grain Ranger I was using in my gun at the time, with less sectional density.

Needless to say I didn't buy any. If they load their PD 9mm the way they loaded that PD .40, I wouldn't get any more of it. Find anything else, and preferably something in a 50 round boc like the LE Gold Dot or GA loaded Gold Dot, or Ranger-T, or HST, or something.

SJ78
February 18, 2009, 10:19 PM
Yes they are hydra shok designs . I think you are right the Gold dot 9mm
seems like a good one . I heard some time ago they had issues with the primers .But hopefully that has been fixed

Shadan7
February 19, 2009, 12:32 PM
The 135gr Hydra Shok was one of the rounds we tested. Results here (http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/9mmluger.html).

NG VI
February 19, 2009, 02:48 PM
Speer did have some problem with primers for a short time, but it was something that would only occur about once every 50,000 rounds. And they pulled all that ammo and resold it labeled as not suitable for LE carry. The Gold Dots I've got are loaded by Georgia Arms, I like the company and the bullet is a classic.

SJ78
February 19, 2009, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the info

If you enjoyed reading about "9mm defense ammo question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!