Ruger 380 LCP Opinions

PDA

xxxstarmaniac
February 19, 2009, 10:39 AM
Greetings,

Please tell me about your experiences with this firearms performance. I know that Ruger is doing a great job with the recall, I am more interested in any issues with the ammo, magazine or gun itself.

If you have had an excellent experience, I'm also interested in that.

For example:

I had 2 Kahrs, specifically the PM45 and CW45. The CW45 would not return to battery every few shots (This happened with a Colt New Agent I had). The PM45 would release the magazine when I fired it; my grip was triggering the mag release when I squeezed the trigger (I have big hands).

To be sure it was not Operator error, I always have some friends try out my firearms with issues, and when the issue is still present, I either fix or sell the gun.

I want to try and do a little research this time before I buy another "pocket" auto.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger 380 LCP Opinions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
archigos
February 19, 2009, 12:23 PM
I've not sent mine back for the recall yet, but am waiting until I have the spare time to deal with being around for UPS pickup to do so.

This will be the second time I've sent my LCP back to Ruger. The first time, the slide catch was stuck down. Apparently it was an issue with a spring that needed to be replaced - they said that the problem was the result of moving the slide catch while the gun was disassembled, though I hadn't even disassembled the gun before I started having that problem. I got the gun back promptly from them but was disappointed to not receive any extra magazines or anything for my trouble.

okespe04
February 19, 2009, 03:20 PM
I believe that much of the harsh criticism towards the LCP is warranted due to the fact that Ruger released an unfinished and potentially dangerous firearm. However I do not believe that the criticism can be applied to a recalled or newer model Ruger LCP. Leaving the company and their mistakes behind I will offer my view of a recalled, fully functional, and safe Ruger LCP.

Aside from jamming once in the first 50 rounds my LCP has flawlessly fed about 800 rounds of various types of ammo including: PMC starfire JHP, Winchester silver tip JHP, Remington umc, Hornady critical defense, and Independence fmj. I have found the LCP to be very accurate for its size and reliable as you can expect any auto to be. I have also given the LCP the “pocket carry test” First time I pocket carried it in a pocket holster for 4 weeks, pulled it out and saw noticeable lint around the hammer area and some around the muzzle and front of the slide. Regardless the LCP unloaded 2 mags back to back of Winchester silver tip flawlessly. The second time I pocket carried it for 6 weeks, same results except this time loaded with PMC starfire jhp.
I keep my LCP at my side at almost every waking moment confident that it will operate as advertized.

Big Bill
February 19, 2009, 04:28 PM
I love my LCP. It shoots like a dream. I haven't had ONE malfunction.

1KPerDay
February 19, 2009, 04:36 PM
Same here... couple hundred rounds mixed brands HP and FMJ; no malfs of any kind. Doesn't recoil very much IMO, and is remarkably accurate at defense distances. Tiny as heck and disappears in a pocket.

austin360
February 19, 2009, 04:47 PM
The recoil hurts my hand...and I'm a badass! :D That little gun is punchy! I just got mine back for the recall.

1KPerDay
February 19, 2009, 05:10 PM
.38s out of my Smith airweight hurt me... the LCP doesn't. dunno why.

bottom shelf
February 19, 2009, 07:04 PM
Mine works fine. I was lucky enough to get very quick turn-around on the recall, and can tell no difference pre or post.

I've only fed is FMJ RN so far, and no problems.

Unlike B Bill, mine feels like crap when I shoot it. It doesn't hurt (Like the S&W 642) but it's unpleasant. Just not a fun gun to shoot for me, I guess.

archigos
February 19, 2009, 07:07 PM
I know this is probably considered bad form, but I have a habit of, when chambering a round before putting the LCP in my holster for carry, holding the firearm sideways. Oddly enough, with the LCP, this seems to cause it to fail to feed that first round. I have no problems with it when upright; I'm going to have to try firing it sideways now just to find out what happens.

I'm with 1KPerDay. I find the LCP very painless and controllable while shooting. I have more confidence in my ability to defend myself with it than with my 637 .38 revolver due to significantly less recoil (I think the slide is the key factor there).

Steve_in_Marietta
February 19, 2009, 08:35 PM
I've had no problems with mine, 250 rds. pre-recall, 100 rds. post-recall, and have received compliments on the free recall hat. It's not fun to shoot like a Bersa 380. To me it has a bit more bite than the S&W 637.

rhartwell
February 19, 2009, 09:39 PM
I love my LCP. When it was back for the recall I was in mourning. It is my everyday carry. When I carry my 9mm then it is my backup. I would not give it up for anything other than maybe a 45

P90shooter
February 19, 2009, 09:47 PM
I have huge bananna hands so I found it difficult and painfull to shoot. I picked up the finger extenders and I now love it! I just got it back from Ruger for the recall but havent been able to take it out yet cause ammo is so hard to find right now.

twolf811
February 19, 2009, 09:58 PM
Mine has ran flawless before and after recall. Size for carry is the plus. Added a Hogue grip and an inexpensive pocket holster and is has been a fine carry pistol.

Cosmose
February 19, 2009, 11:31 PM
i love mine:)

i've put about 150 rounds of ball and a couple of mags of hornady critical defense. no jams sadly its at ruger for the recall:( can't wait to get it back

Craig M. Arnold
February 20, 2009, 12:55 AM
The first LCP that I had was replaced by Ruger because of a major frame problem after about only 200 rounds. When I got the replacement, I sold it. I never liked the trigger.

Best regards.

gglass
February 20, 2009, 01:20 AM
I absolutely love my LCP and I have it with me 100% of the time... Even when I carry something larger.

I have fed it just about every name brand ammo and have never had a hiccup of any kind.

I carry only Remington Golden Saber 102gr as my SD ammo.

I do take issue with anyone who whines about the trigger pull of the LCP or even the P-3AT. It just irritates me that some people cannot understand that the only safeties that firearms like these have are the long, hard DAO trigger pull and ones brain. If you can't grasp the safety concept of the trigger, then you probably don't have the other safety either.

My constant companion:
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/5302/deadmanslcpec1.jpg

xxxstarmaniac
February 20, 2009, 09:51 AM
Well, it sounds like it has a chance to be an alternative or additional daily carry to a snubby, and as long as I grab an extra 3 mags I can rotate 2 every other week to keep the springs stiff (I do this with all carry firearms).

The recoil of any handgun is bearable to me in a defense situation (even the monster 454 loads out of the Ruger Alaskan). On the plus side, if I have any feeding issues, I can always sell it at my cost since they are hard to find right now.

Thanks for the help people.

kokapelli
February 20, 2009, 10:50 AM
Has anyone actually put a large amount of rounds through their LCP without any problems?

I see 150, 200 and maybe around 500 trouble free rounds, but has anyone put a thousand rounds or more through their pistol without problems?

jbkebert
February 20, 2009, 11:10 AM
There is a current write up about the LCP in the magazine title the complete guide to hornady. It is on sale through March 10th my issue says. But anyway there is a 4 page article that talks about this gun and seems to be recommended highly. Although take into account this is also a ad to increase sales of thier critical defense ammo.

Tirod
February 20, 2009, 12:05 PM
I believe that much of the harsh criticism towards the LCP is warranted due to the fact that Ruger released an unfinished and potentially dangerous firearm.

Comparing the number of posts I've heard vilifying S&W, HK, Glock, SIG, Kimber, Springfield Armory, etc etc, there must be a lot of dangerous, unfinished firearms out there.

Or, Ruger's customer base has very high expectations of perfection, and refuse to accept the fact that ALL gun makers have production problems, foreign or domestic. Really. Just surf the maker specific forums. Very eye opening.

Ruger met the government standards for safety, just like any other firearm. They simply stepped up and offered a free upgrade, something most makers won't do. HK, Glock, et al wait for it to break, then fix it as a customer service issue under the radar. That way no one really knows how many were affected. Ruger came right out and offered it for the first years production - which, BTW, was double their projections.

If I didn't want a PSP so bad, I'd stand in line to buy another Ruger. They are giving Nordstrum level service for a commodity item.

My LCP works just fine, recalled and all.

gglass
February 20, 2009, 04:53 PM
(Hrvatski Samokres (Croatian Pistol)), or XD (X-Treme Duty) series of pistols

My Ruger in the picture above has had at least 1,500 rounds through it at the time that the picture was taken. (Last weekend) I have not seen any undue wear anywhere on the weapon and it is even carried daily.

So far it has been 100% reliable.

TRGRHPY
February 20, 2009, 10:06 PM
I was very happy with the way that Ruger handled the recall. Turn-around time was 5 days, and I received all the same stuff that others did.

---HOWEVER----

When they ground on the feed ramp they didn't bother to clean the the pistol at all. It was so bad that there were chunks of metal shavings and oil literally everywhere. I had to take the entire pistol apart, and for anyone who hasn't done this yet it is a pain in the butt to put the metal trigger assy back in to the polymer frame. And I am still trying to figure out where all those shavings came from since there is no possible way that all of it came from my pistol.

I still like the pistol but I am no longer very happy.

orionengnr
February 20, 2009, 11:35 PM
My LCP shoots better and is 400% more reliable than any of the four K-Ts I owned previously.

Not to mention Ruger recalled and fixed a problem I never knew existed, while K-T let me find the problem(s), call and ask for parts, let me do the parts replacements, and more often than not, the problems still existed...

Got pretty old, and I no longer own any K-Ts.

willmartin
February 21, 2009, 08:35 AM
I always say I hope we never have to use the LCP because it'll hurt us as much as it hurts them. Easy to carry, not fun to shoot, IMO.

casual
March 4, 2009, 05:49 PM
im glad to hear there is some satisfaction with the LCP

Like orionengnr, I was counting on the LCP to serve as a replacement for a couple of Kel-tecs

once the SHTF with the recall i decided to wait it out, but it will probably be my next pocket

klane
March 5, 2009, 09:48 PM
Own one and have fired several hundred rounds with no failers of any kind on just about anything I could find to shoot in .380 ACP. It goes every where with me and I liked it so much there is a twin in the gun safe!

gglass
March 5, 2009, 11:11 PM
I always say I hope we never have to use the LCP because it'll hurt us as much as it hurts them. Easy to carry, not fun to shoot, IMO.

All I can say to that is "COWBOY UP SON". You may want to pull those pink mittens out of your fur-lined pockets the next time you shoot your LCP.

1KPerDay
March 6, 2009, 01:45 PM
lol :D

VirginiaHam
August 7, 2010, 03:52 PM
Just purchased the Ruger LCP 380. I have been able to buy ammo. I have several flavors. I was able to get:PMC Bronze, Winchester Ranger; and finally, TulAmmo (Walmart).
Any thoughts on these munitions?? Will appreciate any candid comments.
Thanks In Advance
Col D

kokapelli
August 7, 2010, 04:07 PM
Just purchased the Ruger LCP 380. I have been able to buy ammo. I have several flavors. I was able to get:PMC Bronze, Winchester Ranger; and finally, TulAmmo (Walmart).
Any thoughts on these munitions?? Will appreciate any candid comments.
Thanks In Advance
Col D
I like the PMC Bronze and Winchester, they both fine in all my autos.

Don't know anything about the TulAmmo.

VirginiaHam
August 7, 2010, 04:12 PM
Hi kokapelli:
I appreciate your comments. The first two ammo's I bought at the candy-store. The TulAmmo was all they had at Walmart. I know it is Russian made, however, I also know that company has been in business since 1880. The only semi-cons I have heard are....it might be a bit dirter. As yet, I have not taken my new prize to the range. :-) Will report back after I have done some analytical testing.
Thanks Again

kokapelli
August 7, 2010, 04:15 PM
Hi kokapelli:
I appreciate your comments. The first two ammo's I bought at the candy-store. The TulAmmo was all they had at Walmart. I know it is Russian made, however, I also know that company has been in business since 1880. The only semi-cons I have heard are....it might be a bit dirter. As yet, I have not taken my new prize to the range. :-) Will report back after I have done some analytical testing.
Thanks Again
I didn't know it was Russian. Is the TulAmmo steel cased?

Top_Gunn
August 7, 2010, 09:37 PM
I like mine a lot, and I love the trigger. It's a long pull, but smooth and it doesn't try to pull the muzzle off target. Only downside is that I sometimes get stovepipes firing it left handed (not what I'd normally do).

VirginiaHam
August 7, 2010, 11:38 PM
Howdee: Thanks for the observations. It looks fairly well made. I did do a bit of research and noted that when the LCP first came out it suffered some recalls....this was like 2005 or 2006 -- as of late, however, I have noted recalls have ceased. Monday I will give it a shakedown. :-)

valorius
August 8, 2010, 12:14 AM
All I can say to that is "COWBOY UP SON". You may want to pull those pink mittens out of your fur-lined pockets the next time you shoot your LCP.
Exactly! I think my LCP is a lot of fun to shoot!

Heavy recoil? Pffft, try my Beretta 1200 inertia operated semi auto shotgun firing 3" slugs some time!!! :D

Anyway, i love my LCP, this is all you really need to know about it, i reckon:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b343/m21sniper/Spoons/488f274e.jpg
That's pretty daggone good 25ft accuracy for a mouse gun, IMO.

TIMC
August 8, 2010, 12:30 AM
I love mine! I think it's a great little pocket pistol. I still need to send both my wife and my LCP's back for the recall.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v369/timc/RugerLCPCoyoteSpecialpic1.jpg?t=1281238211

Ben86
August 8, 2010, 01:54 AM
Valorius, you have been posting that picture of your target way too much! I see it in almost every thread these days! :D

OP,
The LCP is a great gun from my experience. It is very reliable with a wide range of ammo and accurate. That being said it does have its shortcomings. The sights are too small, the trigger is really long and quite heavy. The grip is barely enough to hold onto during rapid fire and the blued finish is not a corrosion resistant as I like. Recoil is not bad, as some weenies may have you believe. lol

My pocket gun is a kahr pm9 now. Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with kahrs. My pm9 gave me a handful of malfunctions for about the first 50 rounds, it's been smooth sailing ever since with 200 rounds through it.

valorius
August 8, 2010, 05:16 AM
I do post it a lot Ben, but there are a lot of LCP threads, and really, what better way to answer a question about "should i buy an LCP" than to show a target full of X and 10 ring holes that was shot with an LCP using duty type ammo? :)

While the target was only shot at 25 feet, FBI stats say 90+% of all civvie(including cops) shootouts occur at a range of 7-10 feet.

VirginiaHam
August 8, 2010, 09:04 AM
Thanks Gents for the comments.
First: valorius - nice group
Secondly: yes Ben86, I agree the LCP is a compromise. e.g. size vs gun-ness.
My primary concealed is a Springfield XD9 sub-c. The little LCP, however, seems to fit the criteria of truly being a "pocket pistol". (will carry both)
I do promise to post feedback after Monday. (range day) :-)
Thanks again guys.

Col D

Guns and more
August 8, 2010, 11:29 AM
I still need to send both my wife and my LCP's back for the recall.
Your wife has been recalled? Let's go shooting!

jpwilly
August 8, 2010, 11:37 AM
^^^ BaHahaha... I was thinking the same thing. I've been wondering when the manufacturer of mine was going to let me know about the recall (the wife that is). JK

My first LCP (still my primary pocket pistol) was in for the recall last year. I now have a second I got from a friend who didn't like the (no adjustable sights) ha ha...he gave it spare mags new holster and 200rnds of ammo to me for only $200. I gladly took that POS off his hands!

harmon rabb
August 8, 2010, 11:55 AM
I have a LCP that thinks it's a Glock. It has never malfunctioned, ever, despite my best efforts to make it do so. I've tried all kinds of ammo, mixed mags, purposely limpwristing, etc. Damn thing doesn't care and works every time.

I wish it had a better trigger, but I'll accept the relatively heavy trigger given the proven reliability of the thing.

jon_in_wv
August 8, 2010, 12:44 PM
Initially I wasn't that impressed with mine. I was thinking about trading it off but I decided I would give it a fair shake first. I bought 500 rounds and it fired them all flawlessly. I also learned that it is accurate and a much more capable weapon than I first thought. It isn't my first choice for CCW but for pocket carry or for a back up weapon it is an excellent choice.

VirginiaHam
August 9, 2010, 10:37 PM
LCP's first range outing. Observations: it fired flawlessly. It is definitely small. I started with the target out at 25 feet. (me being unfamiliar with the pistol) missed the target. Moved it in to 15ft all shots in -- good vertical alignment of impacts and fully covering center of mass. Conclusions: sights are a bit skimpy. I know, however, for quick out of pocket action protrusions would be a problem. I know the LCP isnt the type of pistol for target shooting. It is for pull quickly and shoot. It does that fine. With practice, groups will get small. First day shooting was a blast and also a lesson in humility! LOL Again, let me restate: the LCP is definitely not a target pistol -- not designed for that.
In conclusion: pistol seems well built, functions well, and is most definitely compact and hidden away.

MudPuppy
August 9, 2010, 11:27 PM
I got the pink one for the wife, it's accurate and very reliable (one failure within the 1st hundred, none since with about another 150 downrange).

When she got her permit, the 45 was deemed too big. She went down to a PPK, even that was a bit to conceal on her frame. The best thing about the LCP? It's always with her.

I saw an OD framed one Sunday at the funshow. She's be after me to get one of my own (I usually do the CZ82, but recently picked up a 1911 Officer model). I probably would have gotten it, but the guy behind the table is about as slow as a sack of hammers and didn't have the time to wait. (I actually probably would have bought two pistols that day...I'd rather do without that face that frustration.)

Oh yeah, they're good little guns. :p

HGUNHNTR
August 10, 2010, 12:09 AM
I love the fact that at 6'0" and 170 pounds I can conceal it while wearing clothing comfortable in 105 degree heat.
It also shoots incredibly well, I just put another 150 rnds through it over the weekend without a hiccup.

MikeNice
August 11, 2010, 12:35 PM
MY neighbor bought a LCP. It failed to feed anything. He sent it back and Ruger replaced it with a new one. So, their customer service was top notch.

The one he got back works fine. I haven't shot it myself. He said he likes it a lot. He is trying to convience me to get one for my wife. (She wants a taurus TCP though.) He claims 300 rounds with only a hand full of FTE or FTL in the first 200 rounds.

He did say it is picky with hollow points though. He reports no problem with Golden Sabre's or Hornady CD. He did have some trouble with Winchester Silver Tip, the old Corbon 90gr, and Black Hills.

akadave
August 11, 2010, 03:03 PM
Well made, reliable with every type of 380 load I put through it. Reasonably accurate and smaller than a pack of cigarettes. The only thing I pause with is the .380 round. I like big fat heavy lead. I still have one and will keep it and carry it.

valorius
August 11, 2010, 03:43 PM
LCP's first range outing. Observations: it fired flawlessly. It is definitely small. I started with the target out at 25 feet. (me being unfamiliar with the pistol) missed the target. Moved it in to 15ft all shots in -- good vertical alignment of impacts and fully covering center of mass. Conclusions: sights are a bit skimpy. I know, however, for quick out of pocket action protrusions would be a problem. I know the LCP isnt the type of pistol for target shooting. It is for pull quickly and shoot. It does that fine. With practice, groups will get small. First day shooting was a blast and also a lesson in humility! LOL Again, let me restate: the LCP is definitely not a target pistol -- not designed for that.
In conclusion: pistol seems well built, functions well, and is most definitely compact and hidden away.
The practical accuracy of the LCP goes through the roof with a crimson trace laser attached to it.

Here's a pic of mine with it's CT laser affixed, and a +1 mag extension kit installed:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b343/m21sniper/Spoons/54786d7a.jpg

TheProf
August 11, 2010, 09:10 PM
My LCP works great. 100% reliable. It's so easy to carry. Highly recommended....for deep concealment. Makes a great BUG.

DeepSouth
August 11, 2010, 11:03 PM
firearmsandguns How do you know if mine needs to be returned due to the recall?

From Rugers web site

I have a LCP with serial number prefix 371 (or 372); is it affected by the recall?
No. Pistols with a "371" serial number prefix or higher are not affected.

Only pistols bearing prefix "370" (that is, serial number 370-xxxxx) may be affected.
Also, newly manufactured and retrofitted "370" prefix LCP pistols with the new hammer mechanism installed have been marked with a diamond in the flat portion of the slot just behind and below the hammer. Click here to see image of diamond mark and complete LCP recall information.

For more info

http://www.ruger.com/LCPRecall/

cottonmouth
August 11, 2010, 11:52 PM
I carry mine in my left pocket while on duty and have noticed that the magazine gets released from time to time, I like the gun but don't want a single shot back up. Guess I need to remember to check it every time I get out of the car. Other than that it's benn 100% reliable and pretty accurate.

J.B.

PX15
August 12, 2010, 01:30 PM
cm:

I had a KelTec P32 that I had the same problem with, but from advice from the KTOG forum folks I found out I could "sand down" the button a bit, I did, and it resolved my problem.

BEFORE I started sanding, I called KT CS and told them what my problem was, and what I intended to do, and they said "no sweat" and even sent me free replacement, just in case I screwed up the one I was going to sand down. I didn't need it.

As to my LCP, I carry it in a rear pocket holster, and the holster I have has a "depression",or "indention" where the mag release hits the rear anti-print flap.. I've noticed a slight imprint in that area where the mag release button hits, but the relieved area must be sufficient to work as designed because I have never had a problem with an accidental mag release using this holster.

FWIW, my cc holster is a rear pocket made by "Uncle George".

Best Wishes,

Jesse

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a73/Laserlips/100_2033.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a73/Laserlips/100_2034.jpg

valorius
August 12, 2010, 04:17 PM
Hmmm, i carry my LCP in my back pocket and it doesn't release the mag (i do frequently check though- since my old Kel Tec P32 used to ALWAYS eject the mag when i carried it that way), its already pretty recessed (the release switch is).

I would try filing some metal off the button, or keep it in a good pocket holster.

PX15
August 12, 2010, 04:48 PM
valor,

I have never had a problem with premature mag release with my LCP either. Only my P32.

I just thought it was a well thought out touch by whoever designed the Uncle George's Holster to recognize that a small area of relief where the mag button MIGHT press on anti-print flap might be advantageous.

And, as the earlier photo shows, there IS still slight pressure from the mag release button on the area in the relief circle.

There is a slight "overhang" made into the grip area near the mag release button on the LCP that I believe is a better (improved) design over that of the P32. Don't know about the P3AT, never held one.

I am having a custom holster made now, and it will also have such a recessed area.

Best Wishes,

Jesse

valorius
August 12, 2010, 05:12 PM
Be sure to post some pix of it when it's done. :)

I need to get a nice holster for mine. I actually like to carry my LCP IWB when possible.

Btw, Kel tec has just introduced 9rd P3AT mags that should fit in the LCP. ;)

PX15
August 12, 2010, 07:13 PM
valorius,

I'm old and forgetful, so I may forget to post pix here when my new LCP holster is finished, but I'll keep posting about other things, so please remind me and I will post a photo when I'm reminded, and one is available.

Thanks for the info on the info on the 9rd KelTec mags, but I'm a kinda "stick" with factory stuff kinda guy, besides if I can't "stopum" with 7 it is my intention to void all bodily fluids and pray for merci'..

Thanks,

Jesse

FruitCake
August 12, 2010, 07:25 PM
I sold my LCP last year due to shortage of ammo for it and ammo prices when I could find it and missed it ever since. Last week I went and bought a brand new one again since 380 ammo is everywhere I go and the prices went down quite a bit now. I won't be selling it this time. Its a keeper. These are great little guns. I now have the LCP, KT P32 for pocket carry.

dec41971
August 13, 2010, 01:53 AM
Time to start hoarding that .380 ammo then. :D
I have one and its lovely. 100% reliable here too, no complaints.

Rokman
August 14, 2010, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the thread XXX. I want one of these little pistols because it is too hot and a pain to conceal most of my pistols this time of year.

wrs840
August 14, 2010, 10:08 PM
^^^^
That's the main attraction of a LCP in all truth. The least effective gun is the one you didn't bring because it just doesn't work with what you're wearing. A LCP in a good leather wallet-holster eliminates all excuses. I've had a post-recall LCP for about a year now, and it's great for light-pants pocket carry. Mine's been in my right-front pocket every work day, church service, and night out with the family since I bought it. Zero malfunctions, no unintentional mag-releases. I've put about 300 rounds through it. It is not "fun" to shoot, but it does what it was designed for very well. As soon as I'm home, a 442 goes back in the pocket of my jeans or Carhartts.

When dress permits, a .40 goes with me in a Supertuck, or something else that suits the situation is on my hip, but regardless, one of the the pocket-guns is always carried too.

Les

Paul7
August 15, 2010, 12:34 AM
Mine is a totally unreliable POS that is going back to the factory for the THIRD time on Monday. The scary thing is I had a stretch of 200 rounds when it worked fine and out of the blue it began acting up.

:what:

I gave up on Kahrs for the same reason and thought the LCP would be the answer. Apparently not.

valorius
August 15, 2010, 12:38 AM
You got really unlucky paul, and got a lemon. I would demand at this point they replace it.

In about 200rds i have only had a couple failures to fully eject on the last round in the mag, but i had brand new Wolff over-strength springs in it, the gun was brand new, and i was using wimpy US spec ammo (the wolff springs are to combat the recoil of loads like buffalo bore and Corbon DPX, both of which are "+P"). It has not jammed at all the last 150rds plus.

There are such things as lemons, and i really think you got one.

Mine is ridiculously accurate for a pocket pistol.

Ben86
August 15, 2010, 01:05 AM
Mine is ridiculously accurate for a pocket pistol.

I second that. Mine is head shot at 15 yards accurate. Almost makes me want to keep it.

Kimber.45
August 15, 2010, 07:30 AM
I have no complaints with my LCP

rskent
August 15, 2010, 08:07 AM
I havenít been so lucky. At first the gun had ejection problems so I sent it back to Ruger. When I got it back from Ruger it seemed fine. They polished the heck out of the chamber. Now I am having the occasional failure to extract. Iím not sure if itís the gun or the fact that itís hard to maintain a good firing grip on such a small pistol. If I shoot very slow and deliberate it seems fine. If I kick it up a bit it stumbles. That leaves me with a problem in economics. The cost of .380 ammunition verses the cost of the LCP. It may be cheaper to just buy a new gun rather than use up a bunch or .380 trying to get this one figured out. Any way I am back to carrying my 642, for now at least
Steve

PX15
August 15, 2010, 09:52 AM
rs:

Your dilemma reminds me of an old 9MM Tokarev I bought several decades ago. I only paid probably $100.00 bucks for the sucker (it was back when SK's and the like were hitting the shores in record numbers, at cheap prices).

I burned up probably $300.00 in ammo just trying to get the sucker to feed properly and it never happened.. I sold the Tok to a buddy who was a firearms instructor at FLETC in Brunswick, Ga. and a master armorer friend of his there finally got the pistol running just fine and feeding rounds like corn thru a goose.

But it took a master armorer to get it done..

As another poster said, it seems like you just got an LCP lemon, and my recommendations would be to hound Ruger CS until they replaced it for you. I'd make it clear that I was singing the news about your problemmatic LCP on every firearm forum on the net, and would continue to do so until you get satisfaction one way or the other..

Between my wife and myself we have three LCP's and honestly, all of them have been great right out of the box, and it's just a shame that you haven't had the same experience.

Best Wishes, and good luck getting your LCP issues resolved.

Jesse

Bush Pilot
August 15, 2010, 12:38 PM
I've only shot my LCP (sent back during recall) maybe 200 rounds. I haven't had any issues with the gun, I JUST HATE SHOOTING THE DAMN THING. I can shoot 2 mags w/o crying uncle, that's it. Now, let's talk about the LCR, 200-300 rounds per session with no complaints.

PX15
August 15, 2010, 02:09 PM
Bush Pilot:

You can talk "LCR" all day long, and no matter how many rounds you can shoot effortlessly thru it it still is not nearly as concealable as the LCP...

Wait..

Remove the cylinder from the LCR and THEN it's ALMOST as easy to conceal, as is the LCP, but not practical..

The thickness of the cylinder in ANY revolver is going to be a deal-breaker when absolute thinness is a necessity for cc..

I know..

I've got 2 J-frame Smiths, 2 Colt Cobras and one Colt Detective Special that are ALL very good snubbys...

But thin and as easy to conceal as my LCP?

They "ain't".....

No offense,

Jesse

orionengnr
August 15, 2010, 07:24 PM
I did do a bit of research and noted that when the LCP first came out it suffered some recalls....this was like 2005 or 2006 -- as of late, however, I have noted recalls have ceased.
Actually, I believe the LCP was introduced in March 08, but not avaialable for sale until a bit later that year.
I bought mine in Oct 08 and it was recalled in Nov 08.

I bought another 371 series while it was away (it was only gone 5-6 days, but the opportunity presented itself, so...)
I sold the 371 when the recalled 370 gut back. I still have it, and my friend still has the 371. Both have operated perfectly from round #1, mine about 200 rounds total, his about 500. I have another friend who bought a 371 series, and his has been perfect too.

valorius
August 15, 2010, 08:54 PM
I've only shot my LCP (sent back during recall) maybe 200 rounds. I haven't had any issues with the gun, I JUST HATE SHOOTING THE DAMN THING. I can shoot 2 mags w/o crying uncle, that's it. Now, let's talk about the LCR, 200-300 rounds per session with no complaints.
These posts befuddle me.

The LCP is by no means a heavy recoiling gun, even with +P. An alloy .38spl+P snubbie(esp. one with tiny stock grips) kicks one hell of a lot harder. And the lightweight .357 magnum snubbies, well now there's a gun that really kicks.

And honestly, if you ever get into a gun fight, i guarantee you that you're not going to notice the recoil at all.

CZguy
August 15, 2010, 09:58 PM
FWIW, my cc holster is a rear pocket made by "Uncle George".

Uncle George holsters are very well made, and he is a pleasure to work with, but I selected a Bear Creek holster because of the thumb push off, and the removable back panel.

The pocket I carry in is dependant on the clothes that I'm wearing. Not all pockets are created equally.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii299/badgerone/LCPI.jpg
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii299/badgerone/LCPII.jpg

FruitCake
August 15, 2010, 10:56 PM
I just put about 100 rounds through mine today and loved it. Recoil not that bad at all. My fingers are not sore at all. I carry my LCP and my P32 constantly and they are absolutely comfortable to carry and shoot. These are true pocket guns and I've had quite a few including J frames.

harmon rabb
August 16, 2010, 07:05 AM

I wouldn't want to shoot more than 50 rounds out of either. If anything, the LCR kicks worse.

Paul7
August 16, 2010, 10:47 AM
For you guys that are confidenct in the LCP because you've put a few hundred rounds through it, that's exactly what I did BEFORE it started seriously acting up, more than any pistol I've ever owned.

Ben86
August 16, 2010, 12:14 PM
Did you try replacing the recoil springs?

CZguy
August 16, 2010, 12:37 PM
For you guys that are confidenct in the LCP because you've put a few hundred rounds through it, that's exactly what I did BEFORE it started seriously acting up, more than any pistol I've ever owned.

What did you determine the cause of the problem was? Mine is my summer carry pistol and I shoot it weekly to stay current. It has never had a malfunction of any kind. I feel confident that this pistol will work flawlessly if I ever need it.

I am a little concerned about going back to a more substantial firearm for cooler weather. Carrying the LCP has kind of spoiled me. ;)

Paul7
August 16, 2010, 12:51 PM
Who knows? It's going back to the factory this week for the third time, and even they obviously couldn't figure out what the problem is the first two times. :banghead:

burley
August 16, 2010, 01:28 PM
http://www.gunblast.com/IO-Hellcat.htm

The Hellcat looks to be an LCP/38T cross. Comes with TWO stainless steel mags and a holster. That's fifty bucks folks. I bought an LCP and sent it back for failure to fire due to off center primer strikes. It's been ok but now the extractor looks like it's missing a point.

kokapelli
August 16, 2010, 01:44 PM
http://www.gunblast.com/IO-Hellcat.htm

The Hellcat looks to be an LCP/38T cross. Comes with TWO stainless steel mags and a holster. That's fifty bucks folks. I bought an LCP and sent it back for failure to fire due to off center primer strikes. It's been ok but now the extractor looks like it's missing a point.
Another P-3AT clone but this one is even closer to the P-3AT than the LCP is.
It even has the Kel-Tec style extractor.
http://www.ioinc.us/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/resized/Hellcat_.380_Nic_4bb60b9cc1484_275x200.png

Paul7
August 16, 2010, 01:54 PM
Here the latest from Ruger 'customer service'. This from the supervisor: There is NO warranty on the gun and she can't guarantee they will replace it even though this is the third time it's going back to them.

And some people complain about Taurus. :fire:

BTW, the last gun I bought from Ruger was also a piece of junk, a .22 Mark III.

kokapelli
August 16, 2010, 01:57 PM
Here the latest from Ruger 'customer service'. This from the supervisor: There is NO warranty on the gun and she can't guarantee they will replace it even though this is the third time it's going back to them.

And some people complain about Taurus. :fire:

BTW, the last gun I bought from Ruger was also a piece of junk, a .22 Mark III.
Kel-Tec would have replaced it without question.

valorius
August 16, 2010, 02:44 PM
Who knows? It's going back to the factory this week for the third time, and even they obviously couldn't figure out what the problem is the first two times.
The problem, IMO, is that you have a lemon, and you need to demand that they replace it outright.

Paul7
August 16, 2010, 03:29 PM
I did, and they wouldn't guarantee they would replace it. I would advise anyone to think long and hard before dealing with this company.

valorius
August 16, 2010, 06:30 PM
I would inform them that you're posting this on all the big firearms forums, and post a link to this thread.

Because we are very much watching how Ruger deals with you, my friend. If they stiff you, it is obviously a strike against Ruger.

Any gun that has to go back 3x is a lemon, i mean come on.

Paul7
August 16, 2010, 06:45 PM
I informed them I'd be telling the gun world about their scam, but they didn't seem to care. Believe me, if they screw me on this it will cost them a small fortune in advertising to make up for the negative PR I'm going to give them.

The first time back to Ruger it jammed for them so they 'fixed' it. The second time they told me it didn't jam for them, therefore there's no problem. I knew I was being jerked around this morning on the phone when they start to ask me what factory ammo I use.

For Pete's sake, what's their cost to give me a new LCP, $75? They've spent that on UPS fees sending it back and forth.

jimmeso1
August 17, 2010, 02:01 PM
Here is the best pocket holster for my LCP that I have found (and I've tried three others).

http://www.grandfatheroak.com/Stockdesigns.html

88 Cutlass
August 17, 2010, 02:07 PM
I'll chime in with my opinion. I bought the gun about a 3 weeks ago and have carried it to basically everywhere I went because of how easy it is to put in your pocket. I have the desantis nemesis holster. As for the range I've took it there once and had no problem firing round ball ammo (50 rounds so far). I did notice the JHP gold-dots did get hung up on the feed ramp when I first bought it but now seem to load fine. I also polished the feep ramp after the first 50 rounds. I feel very comfortable carry this as my only gun in most situations. I would perfer my glock but when I'm wearing dress clothes this gun defiantly works for what it was designed for.

herkyguy
August 17, 2010, 03:46 PM
no complaints with my LCP. A little over a year now. just upped the spring by 2 pounds for $8.00 from Wolf Springs. sorry to hear problems with them, although they have been popping up from its inception. i don't think it's the design, there must be a flaw somewhere in the manufacturing that occurs sporadically. no flaws to date with mine. this is probably the worst customer service from ruger i've heard of to date.

Ben86
August 17, 2010, 08:14 PM
I use either the blackhawk size 1 holster or deantis nemesis. Both have their ups and downs. The blackhawk is more comfortable, prints less and stays in the pocket better, but is less water resistant. The nemesis is very water resistant, holds onto the gun better, but prints more, chaffs my leg after a long day and can come out with the gun if not pulled at the right angle.

valorius
August 17, 2010, 08:28 PM
Am i alone in using a P3AT pocket clip and carrying mine IWB?

kokapelli
August 17, 2010, 08:37 PM
I also use De Santis Nemesis and a De Santis Super fly for my PM9.

Pops 1
August 17, 2010, 09:27 PM
Blackhawk size 1 is what I use with my LCP.

CZguy
August 17, 2010, 10:53 PM

No you're not alone, a friend of mine carries his that way also. It's such a personal choice on what works for you, that you really need to try a few different methods before you settle on the one that's best for you.

The photo in post #73 works for me, but that was my third holster.

Ben86
August 18, 2010, 12:18 AM

No, I'm sure there are plenty of people who don't realize the benefits of a holster. ;) Just messing with you.

I don't like the gun clips because first off they ugly up my pretty guns. They don't do anything to cover up the trigger, and don't protect the gun from my nasty sweat, b.o. and lent. The only thing they do is keep the gun in place and correctly oriented.

VirginiaHam
August 18, 2010, 12:51 AM
Holster: am using a pocket holster by: Galco. Fits easily into pants pocket or if wearing a jacket...super easily there.
To Paul7: am sorry to hear you are experiencing so many problems with your LCP.
dumb question: when did you buy it originally?

Paul7
August 18, 2010, 01:22 AM
I bought it about a year ago. I'll let everyone know how Ruger responds.

wrs840
August 18, 2010, 01:32 AM
LCP Pocket-Holster: I'm very happy with this one:

http://pocketholsters.com/Ruger_LCP_380_Pocket_Wallet_Ho/ruger_lcp_380_pocket_wallet_ho.html

Much less "sweaty" on my leg than a Nemesis or a Blackhawk for my LCP. (I have a Blackhawk size 3 for pocket-carry of my 442, and think it's "best" for me for that one, I've yet to find the Nemesis good for much, except those few wide pockets where the Blackhawk with the 442 won't stay upright).

Les

valorius
August 18, 2010, 02:28 AM
My GF is allegedly getting me this holster for my LCP w/crimson trace for my birthday:

http://www.crimsontrace.com/images/products/holsters/hdes-431-belt-black.jpg
It's $50 on the crimson trace website.

PX15
August 19, 2010, 09:23 PM
Hi val:

I carry in a back pocket holster, but if I carried on my belt I'd certainly consider this CTC holster... It's neat looking, and was obviously molded perfectly for the LWS w/CT.

Nice.

Jesse

basicblur
August 19, 2010, 09:41 PM
My GF is allegedly getting me this holster for my LCP w/crimson trace for my birthday...It's $50 on the crimson trace website.
FWIW-I'm pretty sure this (http://www.opticsplanet.net/desantis-right-hand-black-quick-snap-027bat7z0.html) is the same holster minus the embossed CTC Logo.

I thought 'bout getting the one from Crimson Trace-the darn embossing would help me know what the heck it is when it ends up in my holster box!

It's $29.89 at Optics Planet-buy 6 cents more and you get free shipping (free shipping on $29.95 orders). You can also Google 'Optics Planet Discount Code' for easily found 5% off codes.

I wouldn't mind having the embossing, but I'm a cheap SOB donchaknow! :D
I ended up with the one from Optics Planet for about 1/2 the price of ordering from Crimson Trace.

Paul7
August 21, 2010, 02:10 PM
For anyone who has been following my LCP problems, after sending it back for the third time Ruger got jams too, and they're offering to refund my money. I'll probably take their offer, and get a Kel-Tec due to my bad LCP experience and Ruger's no-warranty policy and questionable customer service.

They said I should have bought a bunch of different types of ammo to see what works best. Apparently they haven't heard of the ammo shortage, or cost of .380. Call me crazy, but a gun should work with any factory ammo. The guy there said he's been working with guns 30 years, and you have to do that with all pistols. I said that was BS, that I've been shooting for 30 years and have had a CZ, Sig, Colt, Kel-Tec, and Taurus that never jammed on any ammo, including the Russian stuff.

I do like the LCR I have.

MikeNice
August 21, 2010, 03:48 PM
Paul,

The guy at a local gun shop warned me off of Ruger because he had the same type of experience. He said " you can take your chances with Ruger but there is no written waranty." I asked if I would need it and he he told me a story similar to yours.

After 300 rounds it started having trouble with hollow points. He sent it to Ruger and they sent it back with a note saying that they had no issue with failure to feed or failure to extract with hollow points. He took it to the range and ran 2 clips of FMJ with no problem. It then started failing to feed hollow points. He stripped it and cleaned it. When he started firing hollow points again he got through one clip before it stopped feeding.

He returned it to Ruger a second time and they sent it back with a note saying that it was an ammo issue. They said he wasn't using the correct ammo. So he took it out and started shooting. More failure to feed issues. He sent it back a third time with a video of him loading it with Hornady CD ammo. They sent it back to him with a note saying they fixed the problem, but that he should try using Winchester Silver Tip ammo or another type of standard factory ammo. He tried Silver Tips and the problem returned after about 30 rounds.

He sent the gun back a fourth time, and they finally offered to buy it back.

Then the clerk told me he had switched to the Smith & Wesson Body Guard. He also recomended the Taurus TCP because it has a life time waranty, two clips, and a carrying case.

Paul7
August 21, 2010, 04:50 PM
Mike, that does sound exactly like my experience. If the ammo choice is so critical Ruger should mention it in their ads. The fact some of these guns are acting up AFTER hundreds of rounds should be very worrying for anyone relying on the LCP for a CCW. :what:

I'm looking at the IO Hellcat .380. $229 delivered from Bud's and comes with two magazines, not one as the LCP and Kel-Tec do.

Lateck
August 21, 2010, 05:19 PM
From Paul:"I informed them I'd be telling the gun world about their scam, but they didn't seem to care. Believe me, if they screw me on this it will cost them a small fortune in advertising to make up for the negative PR I'm going to give them."

Well I have not heard of you problem till now.
I own a LCP and I have shot FMJ & JHP's all with only a single failure to eject.

I have since bought 2 MORE Rugers due to that fine little gun, Plus Ruger's history of building good guns. Not the "finest" but they WORK and Ruger stands behind them.

I am planing on getting at least one more, maybe two, Rugers.
Good guns at a fair price and a company that stands behind them.
(They offered to buy yours back, NO?)

My .02
Lateck,

Paul7
August 21, 2010, 07:08 PM
As the two most recent Rugers I bought were lemons, I'd have to disagree with the 'good guns' part. Plus there is no warranty of the LCP. Since this problem came up I've searched the internet and found a number of LCP problems, FWIW.

MikeNice
August 21, 2010, 08:08 PM
Paul,

The funny thing is they told him to use Winchester Silver Tip. My neighbor's LCP has trouble with Winchester Silver Tip hollow points. He doesn't have any trouble with Hornady CD. So I don't think it is one particular problem or issue. That to me is more worrisome than one or two iffy guns.

My neighbor loves his though. His first one wouldn't feed anything when he bought it. Ruger did replace it free of charge when they couldn't fix the gun. It was on the first trip back.

His new one is picky with hollow points. He is happy with it though, and carries it daily now.

I wouldn't say Ruger is a bad brand. I think thy just had some QC issues with the rush of orders. Nobody expected it to sell the way it did. I think they just pushed a little too hard.

Paul7
August 21, 2010, 08:11 PM
I wouldn't call Ruger a bad brand either, I would call the LCP a problematic model.

wrs840
August 21, 2010, 08:29 PM
This thread seems to be turning into a "popular consensus" by a few posters that the LCP is trouble-prone. I have to state again that this is not my experience, and I'm not a Ruger fanboy. The LCP that I own, the one my brother owns, and the one another friend of mine owns have all been flawless with any ammo. I understand that this is anecdotal evidence, but I had to say it anyway.

Les

PX15
August 21, 2010, 10:00 PM
wrs840:

And the three LCP's my wife and I own have been perfect from day one..:)

Jesse

MikeNice
August 21, 2010, 11:30 PM
WRS, that is the way it goes. I've owned a trouble free Taurus. My father has owned several trouble free Rossi revolvers. Yet there seems to always be somebody that shows up and talks about how horrible their Taurus or Rossi was.

Every brand has a few QC issues from time to time. Unfortunately a disastified customer is 10x more likely to talk about their experience.

X102
August 22, 2010, 12:07 AM
Big fan, carry in an Uncle George wallet holster. Use the Ruger finger extension and the larger Pearce in the backup mag. Range time is a little rough with the recoil but I have had about 200 trouble free rounds during the break-in of Gold DoT JHP's and S&B FMJ's. It's not my primary carry but as a ultra concealable backup or a quick no hassle carry option it's been great.

ohwell
August 22, 2010, 12:17 AM
Order some 11lb recoil springs from Wolf springs and your problems will most likely go away. My LCP shoots anything I feed it and has for months now ever since I replaced the stock springs.

Paul7
August 22, 2010, 09:16 PM
Ohwell, why couldn't Ruger figure that out when they had it three times?

X102, glad you have 200 trouble-free rounds, so did I BEFORE all the problems arose that Ruger couldn't fix. I understand all gunmakers have problem guns, but I'd just as soon buy from a company that has an actual warranty. I'm beginning to see why Ruger doesn't for the LCP.

ohwell
August 22, 2010, 09:55 PM
I dont know some say the reason Ruger uses lighter springs is its easier to rack, I do know the only problem I ever had with mine was failure to go completely into battery with certain ammo and it threw brass twice as far as any other auto I have. I changed to the 11 lb springs and it shoots everything brass lands more in a normal range also. Check the Ruger forums the spring change is very common.

VirginiaHam
August 30, 2010, 10:07 PM
All Ruger LCP owners:
Just did first field strip, cleaning, lube'ing and reassembly.
There is a great video on the internet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1pcLtfAQA4
credits to: Talon Training Group. They do an outstanding job!
The video covers all the above.
Note of Caution: when you disassemble the recoil spring guide assembly, one end of the spring is slightly larger than the other end. My recommendation is to lay them out in the same direction as you disassemble. Then, clean, lube and put them back in the same order and direction. Just something I noticed and caught while I was doing my first total cleaning. (hope this helps someone.)

VirginiaHam
August 30, 2010, 10:08 PM
Ammo: I fired the Winchester "Ranger" ammo (talon type ball). It feed flawlessly.
Maybe I am just lucky. I've had no problems at all with the LCP.

CZguy
August 31, 2010, 12:20 AM
Check the Ruger forums the spring change is very common.

If you look at different forums you may notice that "Recommended spring changes" are very normal, with many of the old hands of that forum swearing by whatever spring they are all using.

I've even fallen for it a couple of times myself. There are many critical things in the firing of a semi auto that have to happen at a certain (exact) time. Changing spring tension can alter that, which may be a bad thing.

Having said that........it's your gun experiment away.

herkyguy
August 31, 2010, 12:08 PM
No problems to date with my LCP except that the slide sometimes needed a push to chamber the first round. Not always, but if it was held in the back position even for a second to chamber the first round, the spring tension was not sufficient to chamber. Never had this problem when shooting. Wolf Spring is now installed with an added 2 pounds of tension. Have not shot it yet, but it seems to chamber fine by hand. Finger extension is nice on the magazine. I've shot half a dozen types of ammo with no failures. I trust this gun. I carry this gun often. Perhaps if i leave the heat of florida at some point, i'll trade it in for something a bit bigger, but for now, pocket carry and a Crossbreed microclip make carrying in the florida heat a breeze. no pun intended.

SwampWolf
August 31, 2010, 03:14 PM
As for people complaining about Ruger's "nonwarranty" and poor customer service, at least two posters on this page have acknowledged that Ruger has offered to refund their money for LCPs with problems. Not many companies in my experience would go that far. I don't blame people for being upset that their pistols can't seem to be made to shoot reliably and that the company appears unable to fix it. But, to me at least, the ultimate "fix" is getting your money back. My advice is to take the money; buy something else and put your bad experience with Ruger behind you.

Captcurt
August 31, 2010, 03:22 PM
If I had it to do over I might consider a Taurus. I played with one last week and the trigger was way better than the one on my LCP. I haven't shot my Ruger much but it works fine for small a CCW. If I want to hit anything at a distance I'll use my Hi-power.

doc2rn
August 31, 2010, 05:25 PM
I have had one since the second week they came out. I have put roughly 750 rds through mine as I shoot it every other range trip. I love it cause even when wearing scrubs it still rides well and I keep it loaded with blue glazers at all times!

MrOldLude
August 31, 2010, 05:57 PM
I keep it loaded with blue glazers at all times!
Not to bash Glaser's, but my research has shown a hit and miss record on frangible ammo's effective. Why not grab a good well proven hollow-point round?

kokapelli
August 31, 2010, 06:19 PM
Not to bash Glaser's, but my research has shown a hit and miss record on frangible ammo's effective. Why not grab a good well proven hollow-point round?
I think just about everyone else's research agrees with you with the exception of those involved in making and selling Glaser ammo.

ritepath
August 31, 2010, 11:47 PM
I have 6 friends that have LCP's, and I bought mine based on their experiences. I have about 250 rounds through it so far with 50 of those Federal Hydrashoks. It did jam on me once about the 4th shot, after that it's been solid, if it starts acting up in the next few hundred rounds I'll be the first to admit it. That being said I'm not going out and firing rounds just to see if it'll start crapping out at 500 rounds. In my pocket it only has to feed the next magazine, and I have faith it will.

seed
September 1, 2010, 06:50 AM
Zero problems so far in mine with Hornady CD's, Fiochi FMJ's and some PMC's I believe. It did seem to kick a little more than my 2nd gen KT P3AT, but that is easily explained by the factory spec spring weight being one pound less for the Ruger. I ordered some Wolff springs at the KT weight and another set at one pound higher than that. I have yet to try them out.

The only problem I have seen is that some of the pins do walk a little bit...not bad, but this is a problem for the LCP's and some have reported worse walking problems than I have experienced. This does not seem to be a problem with my KT though. I have yet to check for "smilies" for either pistol although the feedramps of both do have the half moon cut out.

Ben86
September 1, 2010, 08:46 AM
The only problem I have seen is that some of the pins do walk a little bit...not bad, but this is a problem for the LCP's and some have reported worse walking problems than I have experienced.

Same here, after about 50 rounds the largest pin towards the back of the frame (not sure what to call it) starts to walk out a bit towards my shooting hand (right handed). It's not a big deal, after I get done shooting I just tap it back in with my glock tool. I only carry 13 rounds on me when I CC, so I doubt I will have it walk out when I need it the most. At least the takedown pin stays in, that is crucial.

Utahusker
October 2, 2010, 10:59 PM
Same here, after about 50 rounds the largest pin towards the back of the frame (not sure what to call it) starts to walk out a bit towards my shooting hand (right handed). It's not a big deal, after I get done shooting I just tap it back in with my glock tool. I only carry 13 rounds on me when I CC, so I doubt I will have it walk out when I need it the most. At least the takedown pin stays in, that is crucial.
Ruger will send you new pins within a few days if you ask.

I just fired a 100 rounds on my new LCP with no problems at all.

Although I polished the feed ramp before shooting.

76shuvlinoff
October 3, 2010, 11:02 AM
Just bought one yesterday. So far the first 50rds, 30 FMJ and 20 JHP all gunshow reloads were flawless (except for my aim). :o

The next trip to town I'll pick up a box of win target FMJ to play with.

Ben86
October 4, 2010, 08:28 AM
Ruger will send you new pins within a few days if you ask.

Thanks for mentioning that, I think I'll do that.

Big Bill
October 4, 2010, 04:10 PM
I HATE the trigger pull on my LCP. My wife tried to shoot it and it bruised her hand between her index finger and thumb because of the outrageous recoil. She shot my 357 Magnum Rossi snub (with 38 Special SWAC ammo) and made me trade her on the spot. So, now I'm stuck with the LCP. I guess I'll carry it on my ankle as a backup to my SP 101.

longhair75
October 4, 2010, 04:17 PM
I have been tempted, but I want to shoot one for a little bit before I buy. I was at my range yesterday and on the way out I found out they now have one as a rental. I will give it a try next time out.

kokapelli
October 4, 2010, 04:27 PM
I have been tempted, but I want to shoot one for a little bit before I buy. I was at my range yesterday and on the way out I found out they now have one as a rental. I will give it a try next time out.
Try a TCP or a Kahr P380 or best of all a Sig P238, they all have less felt recoil and are easier on the hand than the LCP.

longhair75
October 4, 2010, 04:47 PM
I want to try all of these before I make a decision. I bought an M9 Saturday and put a hundred down on a Cheetah for my wife which I can pick up in two weeks. I won't be ready to buy another pistol for a while after that, so I have some research time. A friend of mine has also recommended a Kel-Tech .380.

Ben86
October 4, 2010, 05:28 PM
I HATE the trigger pull on my LCP. My wife tried to shoot it and it bruised her hand between her index finger and thumb because of the outrageous recoil. She shot my 357 Magnum Rossi snub (with 38 Special SWAC ammo) and made me trade her on the spot. So, now I'm stuck with the LCP. I guess I'll carry it on my ankle as a backup to my SP 101.

Try installing a wolff 11 pound recoil spring. I find it makes a significant difference in recoil and does not effect reliability, even with powder puff loads. It's still not fun to shoot, but not as unpleasant as with the 9 pound spring.

Try a TCP or a Kahr P380 or best of all a Sig P238, they all have less felt recoil and are easier on the hand than the LCP.

The sig by far has the least. I'd go so far as to call it fun to shoot. I'd get one but I don't want to have to learn to deactivate the safety, its contrary to all my other carry guns.

VegasAR15
October 4, 2010, 05:34 PM
Try installing a wolff 11 pound recoil spring. I find it makes a significant difference in recoil and does not effect reliability, even with powder puff loads. It's still not fun to shoot, but not as unpleasant as with the 9 pound spring.

In my experience the 11 pound recoil spring improves reliability. I put one in mine because I couldn't make it through a mag without it failing to return fully to battery. Since I put in the new spring, not a problem with it.

Big Bill
October 4, 2010, 06:09 PM
Try installing a wolff 11 pound recoil spring.Is this it?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=758850&cm_mmc=Froogle-_-Gunsmithing%20-%20Gun%20Parts%201911%20(Not%20Grips%2C%20Magazines)-_-PriceCompListing-_-758850

Utahusker
October 4, 2010, 06:31 PM
Is this it?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=758850&cm_mmc=Froogle-_-Gunsmithing%20-%20Gun%20Parts%201911%20(Not%20Grips%2C%20Magazines)-_-PriceCompListing-_-758850
No, these are the ones. wolf springs for Keltec (http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto%20Pistols/KELTEC/P3AT/cID1/mID31/dID150)

Big Bill
October 4, 2010, 07:21 PM
Thanks Utah. I got it ordered.

benzy2
October 4, 2010, 09:23 PM
My two have been perfect through about 200 rounds each. The trigger pull is long and a bit heavy, but for a pocket gun I think it's right. It isn't a real range gun but it works fine enough. I don't personally notice the recoil much. Maybe it's there but I can get dump a mag in a couple seconds having all COM hits. For me, and what this pistol is for, that is good enough for a pocket carry gun.

I like the little sig but I'm not sure I want a SAO pistol with a thumb safety riding in a pocket. From there, maybe the Taurus is a better pistol, but I have fears with Taurus and their CS if something were to go wrong. For me, the Ruger is a great little pistol at a darn cheap price. It lets me carry at work where something else wouldn't fit. I wouldn't try to shoot a case of ammo at the range with it, but for an every day carry it disappears in a pocket well.

Utahusker
October 4, 2010, 09:57 PM
Thanks Utah. I got it ordered.
You're welcome, I see they make them for the LCP specifically, but they're the same.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger 380 LCP Opinions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!