Which .22lr Plinker

PDA

kd7nqb
February 19, 2009, 08:44 PM
So the tax return is on its ways and part of it is going towards a new .22lr plinker.

My girlfriend now has a Sig Mosquito so I dont really want one of those just as to not double up.

Also I am not a huge fan of the Ruger Mark II/ III but thats based more on looks than anything else.

Here are my requirements

1. Reliable I want to be able to shoot more than just the high end CCI mini mags
2. Under 300 (They all seem to hover around this price)
3. At least 8rnd magazine
4. Autoloader
5. Have some sort of holster available for it, not really planning on using it for CCW since I already have a gun for that but I would love to be able to toss it in a kydex paddle at the range.

If you enjoyed reading about "Which .22lr Plinker" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jonnyc
February 19, 2009, 08:50 PM
Buckmark.

benderx4
February 19, 2009, 08:55 PM
I love my Rugers but there is a definite learning curve when figuring out how to clean one.

trader vic
February 19, 2009, 08:57 PM
I have a S&W 22A & it is a lot of fun & very accurate. I picked it up new with a case & 3 extra mags & a brick of ammo for just a touch over $200.00. One of my better deals. You could spend more but I bet you will never have more fun. NRA PATRON LIFE MENBER

kd7nqb
February 19, 2009, 09:37 PM
Glad I put that Mark II / III in the poll I had pretty much ruled it out and then now its winning in the polls maybe it deserves a second look. The more I look the more I like the Neos and the 22a because it has dawned on me that it would be pretty fun to add a red dot and make it a "tactical 22"

KarenTOC
February 19, 2009, 10:16 PM
I love my Rugers but there is a definite learning curve when figuring out how to clean one.

ditto.

10-Ring
February 19, 2009, 10:30 PM
As 22lr semi autos go, it's tough to beat the Ruger but I have a ton of fun w/ my HK4 :cool:

-v-
February 19, 2009, 10:39 PM
I love my Browning Buckmark. Balance seems to be spot-on, whereas a MkIII with a bull-barrel tends to be rather front heavy. Accuracy is top-notch; the gun can put rounds through close to the same hole at 25ft, although I can't.

Not sure on ammo compatibility, as I've only fed it a steady diet of Federal bulk-box 22's wit no issues.

Cleaning is also fairly strait-forward, with disassembly and reassembly being fairly simple. All you have to do is loosen two screws, and the entire barrel and site assembly slides right off for cleaning.

Only complaint is those 10 round mags. Seriously how come there are no "high-cap" .22's?! :p

Best way to decide, go to a gun store, handle all of them, see which one "fits" the best.

snakeman
February 19, 2009, 10:48 PM
ruger 22/45 is what i would go for

gb6491
February 19, 2009, 10:49 PM
Another vote for the Buck Mark; that said, the Ruger MKII is an excellent choice as well. I actually prefer the disassembly of the Ruger to the Browning. The BM requires two different size hex wrenches (for the 2 sight base screws and the barrel screw). The slide is a little tricky to remove and replace (at least for me-newer version BM). The sight base screws need Loctite when reassembly is done.
Regards,
Greg

viking499
February 19, 2009, 11:23 PM
Buckmark.

bannockburn
February 19, 2009, 11:28 PM
kd7nqb

Since you opted out of the Sig Mosquito and the Ruger Mk. II/III, I voted for the next best choice: the Beretta Neos. Bought one for my daughter this past Christmas and have been very impressed by its construction, ergonomics, and functionability. She put 500 rounds through it at her first range session, and with the exception of a few dud rounds, the gun performed perfectly. Accuracy was also very good, shooting pretty much to POA at 40 feet. One feature I liked about it are the magazines, (the gun came with two and I added another one),which are very well built and easy to reload. Price was $229 at a nearby Gander Mountain.

MaterDei
February 19, 2009, 11:29 PM
Buckmark.

atlanticfire
February 20, 2009, 12:30 AM
Has anyone had any experance with a Mosquito?

heavyshooter
February 20, 2009, 01:50 AM

This is sadly true. It's great to shoot, but a pain to clean.

Eightball
February 20, 2009, 01:53 AM
Buckmark.

mljdeckard
February 20, 2009, 02:24 AM
.22 conversion kit on a 1911. A little less appealing if you don't already have a 1911, but I just bought 3 hi-caps from Midway, and I'm thinking about a dedicated frame for it.

Meowhead
February 20, 2009, 02:46 AM
Ruger Mk.II or Mk.III.

Disassembly/reassembly is only a huge pain if you aren't used to it. Thankfully there's a lot of instruction on the web. I struggled with my Mk.II when I took it apart last week, then I watched this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoaVe2z6cRo&feature=related

and got it back together on the very next try.

Mine is nicely accurate, 10rd mags are standard, it feeds/fires/extracts every brand of ammo I care to put through it, and these guns are so popular that accessories are easy to find, from aftermarket grips to scopes and even entire new barrelled uppers, with built-in suppressors or not.

71Commander
February 20, 2009, 06:19 AM
Buckmark. The trigger is as nice as guns costing twice as much.

Mr. Bojangles
February 20, 2009, 07:29 AM
I love my walther P22. I've put over 1000 rounds of wally world's cheapest through it with only one FTF, and I'm not sure that it wasn't a defective round. It also has a grip similar to many other semiautos. I never really acclimated well to the grip on a Ruger.

Anna's Dad
February 20, 2009, 12:42 PM
I really like the Sig Trailside, made by Hammerli which you can still find around, even in new condition.

It's also coming back to the U.S. as the Walther X-Esse. I think you can already get it from Larry's Guns although I suspect the price will be fairly high until it's more readily available.

If you want sometime more mainstream, either the Ruger or a Browning Buckmark are great shooters.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
February 20, 2009, 01:08 PM
Used Browning Buckmark. Or, if you have a CZ pistol, then get a Cadet upper for it.

WarHall
February 20, 2009, 01:13 PM
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m265/WarHall/th_100_1953.jpg (http://s106.photobucket.com/albums/m265/WarHall/?action=view&current=100_1953.jpg)

Thomas Garrett
February 20, 2009, 01:34 PM
Buckmark.

Spyvie
February 20, 2009, 01:42 PM
Buckmark.

Bill B
February 20, 2009, 01:43 PM
Buckmark 1st then Ruger but both are great plinkers.

woad_yurt
February 20, 2009, 01:55 PM
I don't know what your budget is.

Look at Whitney Wolverines, originals. They're great shooters and nothin' looks like 'em. Aside from the looks, they are really great pistols. The two I've owned were jamless, regardless of ammo. Very accurate and with a trigger to die for. Investment-wise, they're a good choice, too....

prelaw09
February 20, 2009, 02:00 PM
I said ruger because it and the Sig were the only two on your list that I have shot. The sig was junk and FTF a lot (it may have just been the one that I rented). I know that range guns get beaten like a rented mule, so take that as it may be, but the ruger that I rented worked great and was dirtier. I also rented a Browning Buckmark. It was nice too, but personally, I liked the ruger better.

Milkmaster
February 20, 2009, 02:25 PM
Glad I put that Mark II / III in the poll I had pretty much ruled it out and then now its winning in the polls maybe it deserves a second look. The more I look the more I like the Neos and the 22a because it has dawned on me that it would be pretty fun to add a red dot and make it a "tactical 22"

Remember that the mark I, II, III pistols come in several models...

The standard model has a 6" barrel with a fixed front sight. The rear sight is in a dovetail groove and is moveable to the right of left. Mine is quite accurate!

The models up from the standard had moveable sights, stainless construction, some with ploymer frames, etc.

My point is that they are not all the same! Many choices, but all seem to shoot well and provide a lot of fun for the money invested in them.

maroast
February 20, 2009, 07:02 PM
Taurus model 94 (cringes and prepares for flaming). The single action on this gun is pretty light and crisp. The double action.... well, a bit long and hard.

I just discovered the wonders of CCI .22 CB Shorts. Man, I love shooting shorts out of this gun! I live in a pretty big city and don't like having to go spend $$$ to go to the range just to plink around..... So I just load her up with shorts and go to a secluded spot down by the river and blast away. You dont even need ear protection, its about as loud as a nice air gun. Lots o fun.

http://www.midwayusa.com/midwayusa/staticpages/highres/489754.jpg

http://www.riverviewsales.net/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/H_94SS4-lg.jpg

kd7nqb
February 20, 2009, 09:25 PM
The taurus 94 looks nice, I am really looking for a autoloader but thanks for the idea. The ability to shoot shorts would be nice.

searcher451
February 20, 2009, 09:43 PM
The Rugers are good bets. If you are serious about your plinking, you definitely want to get yourself something that isn't made of pot metal.

ShadyScott999
February 20, 2009, 10:29 PM
I voted for the Ruger, but, I like my P22. Took some time to get it to run.

MICHAEL T
February 20, 2009, 11:05 PM
The Ruger will shoot rings around those others. Their not even in same class

Redneck with a 40
February 20, 2009, 11:08 PM
I really like my Ruger 22/45 Mark II, very accurate, fun to shoot, very reliable. I don't disassemble mine, I just shoot some gun scrubber down between the bolt and frame, then give it a squirt of CLP, seems to work just fine.:)

Pilot
February 21, 2009, 12:19 AM
The nice thing about the Rugers is that they can start out as very accurate plinkers but with a few tweaks can be turned into match grade pistols depending on which one you start with. The 5.5 bull barrel Target model is tough to beat for an all around .22.

Its easy to see you want a P22 or Misquito due to the aesthetics that makes them look like a "real" pistol. Don't be fooled by that. I am sure they can be made to work, but you may quickly tire of their inherent inaccuracy compared to a Ruger or Buckmark and their need for high priced Minimags.

colorado_handgunner
February 21, 2009, 11:48 PM
Love my Neos!

Big Daddy Grim
February 22, 2009, 12:02 AM
I use to say only Ruger MK's but I got the girlfriend a Sig and its a great little gun minus the pink frame.

magnumman44
February 22, 2009, 12:19 AM
Buckmarks are the best 22 autoloaders made imho...I have held the Walther, and it feels like a plastic toy gun....I like shooting the Ruger, but it, too, felt cheap. I have had two different buckmarks, and sold for other things. Have a new 7.25" Contour on layaway...just can't beat how they shoot!

Redneck with a 40
February 22, 2009, 01:30 AM
Looks like Ruger is running away with this poll.:D:) Its the pistol every other 22 is judged against.

jeggers
February 22, 2009, 01:53 AM
I got my first handgun today: a Ruger Mark III Target Competition with the 6 7/8" barrel and target grips... Took it to the range this evening and put 200 rounds through it. Amazing accuracy. I was nailing 2-3 inch groups at 30 feet. Not bad considering I haven't picked up a gun in over 2 years. I got a Tasco Red Dot scope for it and will try it out tomorrow. I LOVE IT!!!!

Amazing gun for the money... We'll see if I am still in love with it after I field strip it... I heard it can kind of be a pain in the ass...

coosbaycreep
February 22, 2009, 04:02 AM
mark II is the "best", but I voted for walther just because of how fun and comfortable they are to shoot, although it's not anywhere near as accurate as my ruger. I used to have the S&W auto, and it was an absolute piece of crap....but lightweight and ergonomic.

Sax.45
February 22, 2009, 10:17 AM
Ruger Govt mod, bull barrel. Yeah the first time you take it apart is a little tricky, After a tew times you could do it with your eyes closed.

Sax.

MCgunner
February 22, 2009, 10:36 AM
I tried others, finally succumbed to the Ruger. Ruger is the gold standard. We all learn, sooner or later.

larryw
February 22, 2009, 06:39 PM
Do you have a 1911 or Glock or something where you can get a 22 conversion kit for it?

http://www.marvelprecision.com/
http://www.22lrconversions.com/

glove
February 22, 2009, 06:47 PM
Walther P-22
Dave Z

zakmatthews
February 24, 2009, 12:59 AM
Buckmark

Magnus1959
February 25, 2009, 08:43 PM
Why was the Buckmark not a choice? Been trying to choose from it or the Ruger.

moooose102
February 26, 2009, 10:45 AM
a lot of people will flame me for sure, but i really like my walther p22. it is a lot of fun to shoot, and has been as reliable as the ruger mark 2 i used to own. the ruger was fun also, but i like the walther better.

jackstinson
February 26, 2009, 11:51 AM
I own a few of the ones you listed, including the "gold standard Ruger"....
but it seems that my Browning BuckMark gets shot more often than all the rest of my many .22 handguns combined. I don't know why exactly, it feels right in my hand, it hits where I aim it, and it cycles anything I've put through it.
Right this moment, if I had to sell all of my .22 hand guns and only keep one, it would be the BuckMark.
If I had to start over, I'd start with BuckMark.
Jack

walker944
February 26, 2009, 12:01 PM
I've got a Bersa (Firestorm) .22 semi-auto that is great. I have a couple of extra mags that I load up before heading out into the field for plinking. It's very accurate, and built on the same size frame as the Bersa Thunder .380. Very fine little plinker.

UnTainted
February 26, 2009, 06:46 PM
browning buckmark +1

KevininPa
February 26, 2009, 07:11 PM
"I've got a Bersa (Firestorm) .22 semi-auto that is great. I have a couple of extra mags that I load up before heading out into the field for plinking. It's very accurate, and built on the same size frame as the Bersa Thunder .380. Very fine little plinker."

Firestorm FS-22. These things are great.

speedsix
February 26, 2009, 08:32 PM
The Ruger is the best bang for the buck but not always the most fun.

I enjoy shooting my S&W 422 more for some reason. maybe because it is a lot lighter in weight compared to my 5.5" bull bbl MKII.

If you don't need the match grade accuracy of the outstanding MKII, try a light weight .22lr, they are more fun. A Walther P-22 would be fun but the one I bought for my wife doesn't want to work.

ndh87
February 26, 2009, 09:39 PM
Browning Buckmark.

earlthegoat2
February 26, 2009, 09:40 PM
a good DA revovler or Single Six

Rmac58
February 27, 2009, 08:53 AM
Heritage Rough Rider, cheap.

crisco
February 27, 2009, 12:50 PM
I love my Buckmark. Wanted a long life gun, not a "toy" feeling gun, or a pocket gun. Great weight and balance, great grips and angle for my hand, and an incredible trigger out of the box.

Alot of folks in objective comparrison find that they have to spend some money on the Ruger's trigger to bring it up to the level of the buckmark's trigger. That may not matter much to you, though. It didn't to me, I'm no bullseye shooter. :D

The decision was made very simple for me by handling both of them, the Ruger felt unnatural in my hands, the buckmark felt like it belonged there.

My .02
Chris

azmtnbikerxdm
February 27, 2009, 01:07 PM
Has anyone had any experance with a Mosquito?
I have one and love it. I have had few FTF and FTE. I always keep it nice and clean and it takes the CCI Mini mags with no problems.
I vote for the mosquito!

ssgrock3
February 27, 2009, 11:08 PM
I have owned many MkII's and Everyone was a tack driver out of the box. Yes cleaning is a pain, but it isn't as required as some guns. Though I clean all other pistol when they are used, just never felt the need in my .22's. Anyhoo, I sold my P22 cause I couldn't hit anything with it, what I really need is a mark 2 with a threaded barrel and I would be in heaven. Buy the ruger.

PT1911
February 28, 2009, 12:35 AM
p22 no doubt.. most versatle and entertaining of the options listed.... the Mark II's and III's have their place, but as far as just having fun.. no doubt p22 all the way!!!

Schofield
February 28, 2009, 12:39 AM
Haven't shot one myself but a Calico sure seems like powerful fun when you got 100 rounds.

wrs840
February 28, 2009, 12:57 AM
OK, I know this is the autoloader forum, and I know everybody here hates Taurus, but I've owned a few .22 handguns... and um... my current favorite fun gun .22 plinker is a Taurus Model 94 DA 4" barrel 9-shot revolver. I like it better than my Smith 63 or my Smith 422.

Oops!

Les

HuntAndFish
February 28, 2009, 01:16 AM
Buckmark.

BHP FAN
February 28, 2009, 01:25 AM
I voted Ruger,because it's the very best [at least the bull barrel] in terms of accuracy,but like Speedsix,my fun gun is a 422.I had one of those miserable POS P22 things and got rid of it.I bought it because it looked 'dead sexy' [stolen from Austin Powers] but I won't keep a gun that won't hit a barn from the inside.

cliffy
February 28, 2009, 01:44 AM
Disassembly is easy, cleaning is easy, but putting it back together is HARD!
The hammer position and the hammer strut can drive one insane. To reassemble, point the muzzle down, insert any empty magazine, and pull the trigger. Make sure the hammer strut is above the cross-pin. Face the muzzle upward after removing the magazine. Insert the through-pin into the rear holes fully, then press in the mainstring rear lever. Slight resistance must be "felt" as the dippy-clip is pressed inward. If no resistance is encountered, the bolt will not cock, so start again. When, finally you can cock the piece, you've won the battle. Maddening as it seems, you can vanquish the beast's reassembly. cliffy

The_Shootist
February 28, 2009, 04:37 PM
Nice quality, accurate, reliable - very nice compact .22 LR pistol. Pricey - but you get what you pay for!

If you enjoyed reading about "Which .22lr Plinker" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!