I think that I can get away with posting here; this thing is bright! (olight flash)

PDA

sidheshooter
February 19, 2009, 09:14 PM
Tactical flashlight, anyone? I just picked up one of these, it came in the mail today. Holy cow; four lighting modes (7lm for map reading, 90lm for killer bright/tac usage and a whopping 250lm for whatever; flagging down aircraft or something... plus a strobe) same battery load (2x cr123) and usage rate on high (250lm, about 4 hours) as my original recipe surefire 6 (which is peaked by comparison at a fixed 60lm).

This one also came with a pocket clip, separate holster, lanyard and spare gaskets; as well as serious put-the-hurt on crenellated striking bezels on both ends.

Things have come a long ways since I bought that original surefire over a decade ago.

At any rate, if anyone is wanting to treat themselves to a great lighting/back-up less than lethal impact tool, I'd throw in a vote for giving this one the once over:

http://www.all-battery.com/OlightM20WarriorPREMIUMTacticalLEDFlashlight.aspx

the price was also right for what it is, to be sure. I was going to get another surefire; the LED ED2 with all the brightness, crunchy bezel and battery life, but my tactical knife instructor found these online and brought one by for me to check out... I had to have it. Plus it's cheaper than the currently hot LED ED2. :evil:

http://www.all-battery.com/productimages/flashlights/Olight-M20.jpg

The unit also has a "battery magazine" (one can get spares) so you can replace the pair of batteries together by feel, in the dark, on the fly if the thing peters out at a bad time (my only complaint with the surefire; my original one gives about 120 seconds warning from working to seriously dim, to out).

http://www.all-battery.com/images/products/detail/OlightM20content.jpg

Just thought y'all should know.

If you enjoyed reading about "I think that I can get away with posting here; this thing is bright! (olight flash)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hso
February 19, 2009, 09:21 PM
Bright idea! sorry, had to

All joking aside, that looks like a great find. Keep us apprised of how it holds up.

conw
February 19, 2009, 11:12 PM
A friend of mine just got one of these, too. He had the Olight T25 (2xAA) and I have the T10 (1xCR123a).

It is a bit bulky and heavy for pocket carry, but SOLID and well-made, down to the threads. Good for jacket pocket, cargo pocket, or special duty in regular pants, but not an EDC kind of light for me anyway.

The fact that the strike bezel and anti-roll ring are removable is a plus. You can make it "PC" that way.

It is very bright, with great throw. I haven't taken it out in complete darkness, but side-by-side with my little light rated at 190 lumens there is a noticeable difference.

My favorite two features about it are the fact that you can leave it on strobe (with my reverse-clickie operated T10, you have to turn it on, then tap the button lightly to strobe) AND there is a "momentary tactical on." I don't train to use my flashlight in an armed confrontation - I have an Armalaser and just don't see myself in a 100% dark area needing to ID someone or surprise them with a light - but the option is nice, and you have it with the M20...plus, like I said, you can leave it in strobe mode, which *might* buy you time or get you out of a less-serious encounter.

Good for the intended purpose, but I like my EDC-sized light.

http://www.all-battery.com/productimages/flashlights/olight.jpg

Side-by-side size comparison of all the Olights.

From right, T10 single CR123a, T15 single AA, I believe three T20s double CR123a, I think two T25s double AA, and two M20 warriors.

JShirley
February 20, 2009, 01:05 AM
Looks like a good light, thanks.

John

TimboKhan
February 20, 2009, 01:54 AM
Hmm. I don't much care one way or the other about the crenellated bezel, but I do like some of the other features. I have stated before that I really like my current EDC light, but it would be nice to have a "tactical" (ugh...) light in addition to my current EDC light. The price seems decent, although there is a part of me that just can't rectify a $100.00 + flashlight. Because, you know, it's a flashlight, not a magical wizard wand. Then there is the other part of me that has no problems justifying the awesomeness of particular gadgets.

It's a problem, man...

Double Naught Spy
February 20, 2009, 05:36 AM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=391006&highlight=olight

I really like my Olight Warrior Premium. I think it is an excellent alternative so Surefires. As I noted in the post above, I am not convinced of the 250 lumen aspect as it does not seem to be really any brighter than my non-LED 120 lumen Surefire.

One thing I do like about the Olight is that when the batteries are about to run down, the highest setting only shows as bright as the medium setting. When more power is lost, the light won't get brighter than its lowest setting. I did not measure it, but I would guess I had about 10 minutes of run time when the light dropped down from high to medium brightness when the batteries were failing, and then at least another 5 minutes on the lowest setting (at which time I finally replaced the batteries.

Hmm. I don't much care one way or the other about the crenellated bezel, but I do like some of the other features.

The crennulated bezel unscrews readily. So you can just remove it - no harm, no foul.

bikerdoc
February 20, 2009, 09:07 AM
Good info, thanks.
Currenty using a couple of no name flashlights, the most recent from the NRA for renewing my membership.
This one is now on my list to invetigate before I purchase a "brand name."
I like the idea of 3 levels of brightness.
It has been said here before that 40 lumens is the beginning of the "tackticool" lights. At 250 I could light up a runway! (Big smile)

rcmodel
February 20, 2009, 02:14 PM
I don't much care one way or the other about the crenellated bezel,The best thing about them is, you can tell if the light is on when you set it down on the shiny end.

I have twice had my 6P cook a set of batterys and an end table top when it was left on (or came on) setting on the closed end bezel.

Not a peep of light or heat can get out.

rc

sidheshooter
February 20, 2009, 09:54 PM
Nice review, double naught. I'm new to these parts, so I missed it the first time around. Still digging the light. Always good to have more than one high perf light around, IMHO.

conw
February 21, 2009, 02:35 PM
The lumen measurements are variant from mfr to mfr, to be sure. I don't remember the specifics, but Olight and their other Chinese competitors tend to use a different measure from Surefire. No one really bothers too much with conversions, or anything, but whereas Olight is measured "at LED" I think surefire is "out the front."

Then again, the subjective difference between an incandescent and non-incandescent (warm vs cool light), with different reflectors, is no indication of actual luminosity. Either that or Double Naught Spy has a bum emitter (it happens) in his Olight. Also keep in mind LED and incandescent look different at different ranges, and incandescents tend to throw better - though Olights are among the best-throwing LEDs.

conw
February 21, 2009, 02:40 PM
Another thing is this: Surefire has inflated our flashlight prices ridiculously. When maglights were state of the art, they weren't $100. Unless you're getting a high-intensity discharge light, there's no need to pay over $100 unless you have cash to burn.

Olight and Fenix look like a great deal compared to Surefire, but there is a line of lights called Romisen that are made with less-bright emitters and fabulously constructed bodies that sell for about $10-20. For another $10 and 20 minutes of your time, you can swap emitters and have something that rivals most any Fenix, Surefire, or Olight.

Macmac
February 21, 2009, 02:51 PM
Guys that use lights that bright could be poachers! :D

TimboKhan
February 21, 2009, 03:09 PM
Oh, don't get me wrong, I don't hate crenellated bezels! They just aren't a feature that decides a purchase for me one way or the other is all.

I guess thinking about it, part of the point of a "tactical" (ugh, again) flashlight would be potential use as an impact weapon, and I suppose crenellations hurt more, so that is good....

conw
February 21, 2009, 03:35 PM
I haven't made my mind up on the crenellations. One of the best features of a flashlight or some kubotans is that, until you use it as one, it isn't a weapon. And when it is used as a weapon, it's an improvised weapon. That goes out the window when the crenellated bezel is on the light. Also, I'm not really sure that it would be more effective than a solid hit with a blunt object that wouldn't break the skin; you might be more likely to kill someone if you hit them in the head, but otherwise a direct hit doesn't seem like it'd be that much more devastating. A glancing blow would be more likely to cut, but that isn't really better than a good blunt hit with a kubotan or conventional light.

alaskanativeson
February 21, 2009, 04:31 PM
I bought an UltraFire (http://cgi.ebay.com/UltraFire-225-lumens-CREE-Flashlight-Surefire-Pouch-EU_W0QQitemZ120326363023QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item120326363023&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1199%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50) light on Ebay for $40 that is a great buy. It's every bit as bright as every other flashlight I have except for the other UltraFire 3 Cree flashlight (http://cgi.ebay.com/Ultrafire-X3-3x-CREE-Q5-LED-600-Flashlight-Torch-Set_W0QQitemZ220362251290QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item220362251290&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1199%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A2%7C294%3A50) which is just monstrously bright.

If you enjoyed reading about "I think that I can get away with posting here; this thing is bright! (olight flash)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!