Gun safe or more guns?

PDA

junedog
February 20, 2009, 02:18 PM
In these times anyone with a number of weapons needs a safe. Every time I get the money to buy one I end up spending the money on a new gun. Does any one have the same problem?

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun safe or more guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
steveracer
February 20, 2009, 02:19 PM
Get a safe. Better to have a safe and fill it than to find a safe that will fit all your guns later.
Steve

sharkhunter2018
February 20, 2009, 02:55 PM
I've gotten to the point that I can't buy any more rifles until i get a new safe. I'm over capacity and it's a PITA trying to get things back to where they were.

jeff-10
February 20, 2009, 03:03 PM
90% or more of the people here will tell you to get a safe. Only you know the safety/security of the place you live in.

twoclones
February 20, 2009, 03:04 PM
A safe is a must. I've bought a few more guns since buying a safe.. :)

The Lone Haranguer
February 20, 2009, 03:05 PM
A serviceable safe can be had for the price of a single handgun.

wyocarp
February 20, 2009, 03:14 PM
If you buy it (the safe), the guns will appear.

Walkalong
February 20, 2009, 03:33 PM
As posted, a safe of some sort is a must. Buy untill it hurts. You won't be sorry later.

phish
February 20, 2009, 03:38 PM
Do people with 1 or 2 guns really need a safe?

lamebums
February 20, 2009, 03:43 PM

I'd think so. 1 or 2 guns more often than not turns into half a dozen or more in short order.

phish
February 20, 2009, 03:44 PM
"I'd think so. 1 or 2 guns more often than not turns into half a dozen or more in short order."

I'm poor :(

.45&TKD
February 20, 2009, 03:49 PM
I had quite an assortment before I bought a safe.

Trigger locks, dissassembly, and hiding places can work while you're pulling your money and collection together.

When you finally buy a safe, buy the biggest and best you can afford. They fill up fast.

Macmac
February 20, 2009, 03:52 PM
Pretty much the days of a wood and glass cabinet are over.

if you are poor a old refer with a lock and very hard hasp could be a safe. Better than a metal locking cabinet, since there is insulation, and wiring even for a lamp so you can either see better or use a golden rod.

One of my 'safes' is just that, a old refer in a work shop labled Paint and Paint Chems. There is a skull and crossed bones on it too.

I made the hasp of steel plate, and use a real hard lock.

The thing is it looks like a paint cabinet, and to a bad guy that just means work.

You don't need the fanciest thing to store guns well, you just need a place the rust won't happen, and will store your stuff your stuff.

The inside is gutted and carpeted, but you can't tell from the outside.

krs
February 20, 2009, 03:54 PM
Every time I get the money to buy one I end up spending the money on a new gun.

That one describes a LOT of people, including me.

dispatch55126
February 20, 2009, 03:54 PM
When you finally buy a safe, buy the biggest and best you can afford. They fill up fast.

+1

I bought a 12 gun safe thinking I'd have plenty of room. Now, I wish I'd bought the 24 gun safe so I could have room to store ammo as well though it is nice to open it up and see a full safe.

wyocarp
February 20, 2009, 04:01 PM
It would be interesting to know what happens when a thief passes the old fridge with a hasp on it that says paints and chemicals. Heck, it might just work.

I'm sure the safe is a magnet for a thief's eyes. Fortunately, a large percentage of them aren't smart enough to know what to do with it.

Kind of like giving my lab a 15 pound dumbbell. He loves carrying them around in his mouth up to around 6 pounds but just acts confused about the larger ones.

drgrenthum
February 20, 2009, 04:09 PM
i have a kid so a safe was a no brainer. If you dont have one, its not as black and white but if someone broke in and stole them would you go get a safe then? If you wouldnt then i say buy more guns.

peyton
February 20, 2009, 05:26 PM
Get the safe, my wife just got me a larger safe for my XMAS present. Buy it twice as big as the number of guns you have will multiply. She saw the headache I was having with my small safe and I damaged a scope lense getting another rifle out. The new one is bolted down inside the garage, the old one now serves as her jewelry box.

shotgunjoel
February 20, 2009, 05:41 PM
Get a huge one. I have a 10 gun safe, 3 guns, and I have no more room. You see you also buy this stuff called ammo, and it takes up A LOT of space. Especially 12 gauge shells.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
February 20, 2009, 06:15 PM
Does any one have the same problem?

Yes, but you have to make it a priority and bite the bullet. You needs a good safe for your babies. So, make it enjoyable. There is pride in ownership, so do your research, decide on a budget, decide how much room you have, do some more research, and then purchase. It's almost as much fun as getting a new gun. :)

I've got 2 safes, a stack-on locker, and a small handgun fire safe, and I need lots more room - and I don't keep ammo in the safes.

QuietEarp
February 20, 2009, 06:29 PM
I think that a safe is a great thing if you are a home owner. If you rent or move often it might be a pain. I am currently looking for a plan B for security. I really like the fridge idea. . .

wyocarp
February 20, 2009, 07:28 PM
Get a huge one. I have a 10 gun safe, 3 guns, and I have no more room. You see you also buy this stuff called ammo, and it takes up A LOT of space. Especially 12 gauge shells.

Okay, I'm starting a new thread for how many people use their safes to store ammo. Why would anyone do that? Buy some cheap metal army surplus ammo boxes and call it good.

Lightninstrike
February 20, 2009, 07:37 PM

If you only plan on having one or two and they are handguns invest in one of the small bedside safes.

Lightninstrike
February 20, 2009, 07:40 PM
Yes, but you have to make it a priority and bite the bullet. You needs a good safe for your babies. So, make it enjoyable. There is pride in ownership, so do your research, decide on a budget, decide how much room you have, do some more research, and then purchase. It's almost as much fun as getting a new gun.

Absolutely true. I had a blast. I got a biometric model (with back-up key) and it fits me just fine though it is getting crowded. :):)

Quoheleth
February 20, 2009, 07:44 PM
"I'd think so. 1 or 2 guns more often than not turns into half a dozen or more in short order."

I'm poor

Get a couple of locks, at bare minimum. ANother option - for shotguns - is Mossberg's little clasp that bolts to a wall and then locks around the trigger & action. It's reasonable and very safe.

I don't know what state you are in, but in TX, a gun owner is liable if anyone under age is able to access them, or - I believe - if they are somehow taken/stolen and used in a criminal activity.

Sort of like leaving your keys in a car's ignition.

Also, a suggestion is when you get a safe/locking cabinet, store it almost anywhere but the master bedroom. Bedrooms are one of the first places thieves look when doing a smash & grab.

Q

CoRoMo
February 20, 2009, 07:45 PM
I'm right there with ya. Especially now, today, with this administration. I'm in a relative buying frenzy as I'm trying to obtain the things that I think will be stripped from our list of freedoms. Safes will remain readily available after the next AWB, so it can wait.

Although, I just purchased a new safe this week because it was a screaming deal that I couldn't pass by. I did not use my gun money for it though!!!

Coyote_Hunter_
February 20, 2009, 08:21 PM
Yes, buy a safe - even if you only have one or two guns.

steveracer
February 20, 2009, 09:32 PM
Look at Canon safes. Good stuff for the money.
steve

leadcounsel
February 20, 2009, 09:39 PM
Maybe get a cheap one for now with the plan to upgrade later.... you can always use the cheap one later for ammo or other stuff.

TexasRedneck
February 20, 2009, 10:24 PM
Coupla things to remember....do you wanna meet YOUR gun comin' out the door in the hands of a criminal?

There was a proposal a coupla years back ta make safes tax deductible. I don't know what came of that movement. What I _do_ know is that a place where you store things like TAX RECORDS and BUSINESS records is TAX DEDUCTIBLE.

My accountant like to have died laughing - but he agreed that it was 100% legitimate.

Macmac
February 21, 2009, 01:56 PM
I see no good reason to buy a cheap junk metal locking box for 300 bucks..

I see these in walley world and wouldn't want one in the first place.

They have 0 insulation so temps go up and down with the whim of weather.
They don't seal any humidity out either, so if you install a golden rod all it will do is work over time.

A cabinet like that will breath, which is good, but it will collect dampness, and never get rid of it.

These are light steel I can rip apart in a few moments time and if i can so can a thief. If you buy one you still need to hide it. So what good is the fancy black or green paint? You can't install it with out bolting it down either.

Most dead old refers can be chopped up to get rid of anything other than the insulation and the box. A little tinkering can make a pretty hard hasp.

The hasp must be rugged.. A cheap hasp is a thiefs delite. Like is typical on enclosed trailers. I know and I found out the hard way. A vise grip clipped to the top of the hasp of this type takes 3 bends before the hasp fails.

This leaves the lower hasp in place and the lock too, still locked! But the trailer doors are easy to open after that takes place.

Converting a refer is cake.. The costs come in the little carpet if you can't get a scrap for free.

If you are handy you can make up a hidden button release from the back side too.

I shoot some flinters which are often taller than a modern rifle and that means a modern cabinet can be just a few inches too short for my guns, and to me this makes the refer look like a much better option.

I don't plan to test fire ability, but some insulatin has to be better than no insulation.

Either way store bought carpeted cabinets and the refer are going to melt carpet in a fire, which will make a mess..

To me the refer is hiding the gun cabinet in plain sight... labeling it as paint and solvents to a thief means he won't bother with it, and if it is plugged in because you have a golden rod and maybe a lamp, just looks normal for a fridge anyway and I bet would not be questioned.

Make a lable saying isocryinates and most anyone with any sence will stay away..

The Lone Haranguer
February 21, 2009, 05:29 PM
Make a lable saying isocryinates and most anyone with any sence will stay away..
Not if they don't know what isocryinates are. ;)

SamTuckerMTNMAN
February 21, 2009, 05:32 PM
The peace of mind that comes with a good safe is rewarding. You can also keep other things inside like legal papers and certificates. I vote for the safe! Security of ones weapons is paramount, if not for the liability aspect, then for the preparedness aspect. "In these times.." remember, there are only a couple (at most) guns you would grab and go with, treat them with utmost respect. Extras are for collecting or buddies :) :)

As for thief proofing; hide hide hide, bolt into studs and/or floor, and put in tight space where high leverage crowbars are hard to use and moving isnt easy.

ps - and always put a few pounds of Blue Dot inside with a note on outside warning of powder storage....if they were going to be stolen anyway decorate your collection with the thief!
So what good is the fancy black or green paint?
better than the fancy pink paint, but I wanted mine to match my pants...

Macmac
February 21, 2009, 05:44 PM
I agree a good safe is best, but the guy said he was poor, and a good safe isn't a 300 dollar box you buy at walley world.

I am not exactly floatin in a pond of dollars either, but I got guns..

A tale: Once I went to a fur trapper event backed up to a French and Indian War event far from home. between these 2 events i sold $1,000.00 in silver at the Harvest Moon event.

That morning I headed to Lak du St Sacrement, you guys call lake george, for 10 days.

Now that lake has places more than 200 feet deep, and not a good place to loose that kinda dough if your me.

I had no choice but to hide it since what I call a pick up truck isn't what you might call a pick up truck, and so I decided to even leave the doors unlocked, and the cash in the truck.

Yup a grand sat on the floor in that truck in almost plain site over a week, with the doors unlocked too.

I stopped on the way to the lake and got a chocolate shake, and when I was done I wrapped the dollars in a bunch of napkins, and stuffed them in the cup making the napkins all sticky. Then I dumped the ash tray contents on top, sealed the lid on the cup and tossed it on the floor in plain sight.

Went off to fight the Yangquize all the week long and never even wondered if that cash was safe.

FreuderLocks
February 21, 2009, 06:16 PM
Junedog: I just had the same problem, well it wasn't a problem but... Well.

I fugured keeping 7-$10,000 dollars of guns was way more worth it that losing all that time, money, skill and sweat because some slinker came and stole my guns. Just a thought.

I have a job, if you do: take out a loan! A few bux a month can save you time in the end, not to mention money and explaining to the cops why your shooters weren't locked up

-FL

lamebums
February 22, 2009, 01:17 AM
I'm poor :(

You're poor? I'm a full time student who hasn't worked an hour since last August but still has money going out towards ammo, gas, food, etc.

I'm poor. :(

NotSoFast
February 22, 2009, 01:27 AM
Thanks for all the advice. I've been thinking I might need a safe, but you've convinced me I really do need one. Since my local dealer said he would give me a 5% discount on any safe in his store, I think I'll take him up on it this week.

model of 1905
February 22, 2009, 01:56 AM
Anything that prevents/prolongs me from buying another gun short of food, shelter and clothing for the family can wait.

Blast
February 22, 2009, 01:59 AM
I know the urge. Just repeat to yourself "I need a safe" every time you go near where you buy your guns.

leadcounsel
February 22, 2009, 10:47 AM
I said before that you could buy a cheap one for now and a more pricey one later...

I will add that you should buy guns and ammo now while you still can - they'll never outlaw safes. Can't say the same about certain guns and ammo.

Deanimator
February 22, 2009, 10:49 AM
I had the same problem, but between the iffy people in my apartment building, and periodic trips to Apartheid Chicago, I decided that not having the guns I currently have, stolen, was a higher priority than more guns.

CB900F
February 22, 2009, 12:22 PM
Junedog;

Do a search here on THR for the term "RSC". You'll get a thousand hits. Or, do it for A1abdj or myself, CB900F. Both of us are professional safe guys. What I'm suggesting is to do some research before you buy. Then, you'll have a better idea of what you'll get for a buck spent.

I sell a line of true safes that are excellent protection, but are also much more expensive than what you've probably been seeing. I'm not saying "buy mine", I'm saying more information is better than less information.

900F

TexasRedneck
February 22, 2009, 12:42 PM
Good point CB - even for a Honda man... ;)
In most cases, even a basic safe will stop all but the most determined thief. However, you need to understand their methods before you buy. While I'm in NO way a safe-smart guy, I did a lotta research before purchasing, and asked a lot of questions. Talked to a lot of cops/safe shops that mentioned how many folks buy quality safes, only to locate them next to outside walls. Bad guys come in, smash holes through walls, toss a chain/cable around the safe, and yank it clean out of the house. Oh, yeah - they usually do it with a stolen tow truck.
Another guy had someone use his own torch to punch the safe. Needless to say, my plasma cutter tip resides in the safe when not in use. My safe weighs in at 1700 lbs (prox). There's another 500 lbs of lead in the base, and the safe itself is bolted to the foundation with (6) 1/2" anchors. Can they still get it? Yeah - but by the time they do, it won't be worth the cops that'll be swarmin' all over 'em - so they'll go find someone/place easier - like YOUR place.
If the safe sounds "tinny", they're dang well gonna try to punch it. You'd be sick to know how many of 'em are easy to defeat.
It'd be great if we could get a string going on safe selection/considerations and then get the mods to trim the string to the specifics and make it a locked topic w/a sticky to keep it on top.

junedog
February 22, 2009, 01:22 PM
I have been looking at a Champion Safe, since they are the closest to my home. What good or bad have have you heard about them? The one I am looking at weighs 1150lbs. It may not be big enough but I will have to make do. The price is around $1300.00. Good price or no?

wyocarp
February 22, 2009, 09:07 PM
What I _do_ know is that a place where you store things like TAX RECORDS and BUSINESS records is TAX DEDUCTIBLE.

And the best part of that, is that I don't think it's prudent to store all my tax records in one safe. It's better to spread them out and keep guns in them as well to be prepared to defend those records if needed.

TexasRedneck
February 22, 2009, 09:23 PM
And the best part of that, is that I don't think it's prudent to store all my tax records in one safe. It's better to spread them out and keep guns in them as well to be prepared to defend those records if needed.

A feller after mah own heart...

CB900F
February 22, 2009, 09:26 PM
Junedog;

Yes, I've heard of Champion. It's an RSC, which is not a bad thing, if it meets your needs. But in order to determine if it is what meets your needs at the lowest cost, you need to do the research.

900F

Pat S
February 22, 2009, 09:33 PM
Champion looks like a good safe. Don't forget the fire protection. Electronic keypads are a nice feature also if you plan on accessing the safe frequently. The peace of mind it will give you will be worth the cost of a gun or two.

One thing to remember now is to buy a bigger safe now then you think you will need for a few dollars more. You can outgrow its size quickly. I think many safe owners would agree.

Pat

Ed Ames
February 22, 2009, 11:05 PM
The average gun owner (1-5 guns of no particular value, middle class, suburban, etc) does not need a safe for their guns. They may want one for personal papers or other valuables (family photos, jewelry, cameras, whatever) and choose to get something that holds the guns too but the guns are probably among the least valuable (certainly by weight) items in the safe.

Not that they aren't wise, but... be honest with yourself. $800-$3000 to protect $500-$2000 worth of easily replaced guns doesn't compute. If they can't be replaced or the numbers are much higher you should know that and wouldn't be asking the question.

sturmgewehr667
February 22, 2009, 11:28 PM
safe

TexasRedneck
February 22, 2009, 11:35 PM
Ed, I'm sorry - but I strongly disagree, especially in light of the laws today which tend to want to make a victim into the criminal. Fail to secure your weapons, local punks break in, steal the guns and kill someone....enjoy the lawsuit.
Besides - as a practical matter, most folks have things that would go into the safe and enjoy the added protection.

Ed Ames
February 22, 2009, 11:58 PM
TR: Using your theory, you are responsible if someone steals your car (far more dangerous than any gun) and rams it into a bystander. You should not accept that responsibility. You may be responsible if your minor child does it, but not a stranger.

It does you nothing but harm to accept responsibility for the actions of criminals. Don't do it. Your obligation, by law and reasonable standard, exists only when you have reason to believe the guns could be used by kids (not because someone busted your window and stole your stuff) and is met using cable locks, frame locks, etc...which are free for the asking or a few dollars each. A safe is not the only, or even the most reasonable, way to lock a firearm.

I agree you may have non-firearm valuables to protect...I think I mentioned that in my post...but most gun owners have more $$$$ in their music collection than in firearms.

wep45
February 23, 2009, 12:02 AM
sell everything else and buy more safes and a lot more guns:evil:

TexasRedneck
February 23, 2009, 12:28 AM
Ed, it's not a theory - it's a somewhat jaded view of our current legal system. Think about it - if the guns aren't locked and a kid gets hold of it breaking into your house, is some overzealous DA gonna bring you up on charges? Do you want to run that risk?
A safe is, to me, just cheap peace of mind....

Ed Ames
February 23, 2009, 12:58 AM
"No safe" and "not locked" are NOT synonymous. A safe is just one of many ways to lock a firearm. A very expensive way that far exceeds any reasonable standard.

Knives, power tools, cars, household chemicals, and many other everyday items are as vulnerable to abuse as firearms. A reasonable person would expect all of them to be locked away from casual abuse. Cars have built in locks, chemicals are stored in (sometimes locked) cupboards in locked houses, many new (especially stationary) power tools have built in locks and those that don't (your chainsaw) are typically kept in locked sheds or garages. Most tool boxes can be locked. If you leave ANY dangerous item lying around you can find yourself liable for damages ... and NOBODY expects you to put ANY of those things in a safe.

It is unreasonable, and more than a little foolish, to accept a special standard for firearms just because. Don't fall for the anti's fearmongering. Firearms are not magic, they aren't evil, and they don't require extreme precautions compared to any of the hundreds of other dangerous things you have around your house. Lock them just as you would lock dangerous chemicals or tools IF you have reason to believe irresponsible people (i.e. minor children, drunks) will be around. Otherwise lock your doors when you leave and you are fine.

Is a safe better? Absolutely. I have a safe. I like safes. But better isn't necessary.

As for theory...Every hypothetical is a theory until proved. It is unlikely your theory (jaded view) will ever be proved in either of our cases.

ComradeBurg
February 23, 2009, 01:06 AM
Between buying a safe or more guns I'd say get the safe if you have a sizable collection of firearms (one that will out value the safe).

I recently got a safe and am very happy I did so. Nothing would suck quite as much as losing all my guns due to theft or a fire. Gun safes are also great places to store other important and valuable stuff like birth certificates and titles to automobiles and property. They are certainly a lot more secure then most office safes you find.

TexasRedneck
February 23, 2009, 01:16 AM
Well, to each his own - yet while you advise others against a safe, you already have one. While I'd not tell someone with 1 or 2 guns (and not likely to get more) to buy one, I would advise those planning to start collecting to get a safe - in the long run it beats coming home to find 'em gone, especially since most homeowner insurance covers only a VERY small amount of gun loss - something like 2k, IIRC. Heck - any 3 pistols I own will total that (or more).

Ed Ames
February 23, 2009, 01:48 AM
Just to be accurate: I didn't advise against a safe, I said it was unnecessary.

Safes have value. They are good. They aren't necessary or necessarily the best place to spend your money, especially if you only have a few firearms and are in a low threat environment (suburban, etc).

If you are in a high threat environment you should consider off-site storage first. Having a safe installed in your apartment in the bad part of town, or your dorm room, just makes your situation worse. Get a self storage unit and install the safe there, or better yet move.

Just my $36.85.

TexasRedneck
February 23, 2009, 02:14 AM
You're absolutely right, Ed - store the guns elsewhere if you're in a less desireable neighborhood....heaven knows you won't need 'em.

Ed Ames
February 23, 2009, 03:01 AM
That's right -- you aren't going to need a collection.

Let's say you have a gun collection worth $5K (though this works just as well for 50K or 500K...maybe even 38K). At any given time you can use only a fraction of that (2 hands, right?), the rest you store. You don't use the stored collection. You use a weapon or two.

Let's say you live in a high burglary risk environment. You can choose to to store everything in your home, exposing everything to a single event (fire or burglary), or you can store maybe $4.5K worth of the guns off-site in a lower risk environment (better part of town, better security, fewer people in the building using candles for mood lighting) and keep a pistol and shotgun at home, securing them with cable locks when not in use.

A gun in your safe isn't going to be useful if someone busts down your door or mugs you as you walk in the park. Doesn't matter if the safe is at home or in a self-storage unit.

TexasRedneck
February 23, 2009, 08:32 AM
Ed - I've lived in high risk environments. Perhaps you haven't had to, but I have. A weapon or two restricts you in terms of location and/or selection. So, thanks for your concern - but I'll keep mine close by and handy.

corespray
February 23, 2009, 09:58 AM
I paid ~$300.00 for my safe. You'd be hard pressed to get a decent gun for that price (and peace of mind)

Ed Ames
February 23, 2009, 10:15 AM
Risk is subjective. Dunno if we'd view each other's situations as "high risk" and don't see how it answers the OP's question. I got a theory... but I'll leave it unsaid. :)

IMO safes are great, but:
A) they aren't perfect so you still need insurance.
B) they can create security risks of their own by telegraphing the existence and location of valuables.
C) they restrict mobility...not walking around mobility but "I don't like this neighborhood let's leave" because they are expensive or difficult to move.
D) Not all residences offer a suitable location for safe mounting, and unattached safes are a waste of time.
E) they take up money that could go to making significant quality of life enhancements (better home, more guns, etc) without necessarily providing long-term savings.
F) they are not necessary for meeting potential legal obligations.
G) They are not cheap. Oh, you can get a small utility firesafe good for pistols for $300, but a reasonable gunsafe will cost 3-10 times that.

Which translates, to me, into: you should buy the best gun safe you can after you are well settled in an otherwise secure location and have the resources to make the purchase painless -- OR as soon as you have items which cannot be replaced in a reasonable time frame. That can mean sentimental value, true collector's items, NFA items, or ANY weapon if you live in a restrictive jurisdiction with difficult to get permits for each purchase.

If you need a safe you know you need it. You can articulate a set of reasons why it is necessary. If you don't? Buy guns, buy ammo, go shooting.

wyocarp
February 23, 2009, 10:33 AM
No matter how it's twisted, I am not responsible for the actions of another person that I have never met. There isn't a DA in the world that will convince a jury to convict me because someone broke into my house and used a gun that they stole from my residence.

Geneseo1911
February 23, 2009, 11:54 AM
Well, I didn't have a safe for about 10 years, but I only had 5 guns, none worth more than ~$300, and nothing I was too scared about a criminal getting his hands on (pump shotgun, a couple .22s, and a muzzleloader).

When our new president got elected, I bought an AR-15. Now I had something I WAS worried about a BG getting ahold of, and the value of my collection was greater than the cost of a safe. That was how I made my decision I needed one. Now I don't feel guilty when I bring home another gun.

Ala Dan
February 23, 2009, 12:01 PM
Every gun owner needs at least a good RSC, in this day and age; as there
are far too many crack/meth headed thieves roaming the neighborhoods
just look'in for a residence too break into, grab all the valuables that they
can tote and make a fast get-a-way. Then they trade the valuables to a
"fence" for drugs too support their habit. We need to make it as difficult
as possible for these types, with hopes that a legally armed citizen can
stop 'em dead in their tracks~! ;)

Doc Rizzi
February 23, 2009, 04:00 PM
There is a good peace of mind that comes with owning a good safe. Good safes are not cheap. My safe is a Liberty safe. It was on sale for 1,100.00. It holds 20 or so rifles depending on how you place them and a dozen or so hand guns, again depending on placement. An added bonus is that you also have a nice secure place for jewelry or important papers, laptops, etc when you head out on vacation. You also want to secure it so that the entire safe cannot be removed from your house and loaded onto a pick-up truck. This is the most difficult part. Talk to the dealer about methods of securing the safe to the floor.

springer7676
February 23, 2009, 09:42 PM
In my neck of the woods there have been several instances where kids got hold of a weapon while visiting another kid's home. In 99.0% of the cases the law has held the gun owner responsible. If there are children about, yours or your neighbors, guns of any type need to be locked in a safe or locked with trigger guards or other locking devices. All are cheap compared to what will be fall you if your gun is taken and used by a kid....this means anyone under 18 years of age. Kids come in all sizes. Home defense is not an easy matter. Every gun I own is locked in a safe except one. That one's storage is known only to me. Hopefully this reduces my risk.

Ed Ames
February 23, 2009, 10:42 PM
Sigh. Nobody here is advocating leaving unlocked guns around. Everyone here agrees that gun owners can be prosecuted for leaving unlocked guns in places where they have reasonable cause to believe children could access them, when those children cause harm. The discussion is very far beyond that.

Safes are just one way to lock firearms. They have some strong advantages and also some very strong disadvantages.

Many people here advocate safes in cases where they are very far from optimal. Some go so far as to say that safes are the only responsible choice. That sort of thinking does gun owners no service. It is perfectly safe and responsible to have guns without a safe. In some cases buying a safe is not the responsible thing to do. If you are at a point in your life where a safe is the right choice by all means buy a safe. If you aren't -- if the money could be better spent on something else -- then you shouldn't think you have no security options at all, or that your choice is evil.

The "must have a safe to be responsible" meme is the product of anti-gun rhetoric.

TexasRedneck
February 24, 2009, 12:15 AM
I think you mistake my desire to keep what's mine with a decision to bow to anti-gun idiots. While MOST of my collection is in the safe, you can bet that there's a number of 'em that ain't.

The trick is ta figger out whether they're close to me or not.... :D

woad_yurt
February 24, 2009, 09:11 AM
Safes not only make it difficult for kids to access guns, the also make it difficult for a burglar to disseminate our weapons for who-knows-what eventual purpose. Guns are very marketable items, much like some prescription drugs. Nursing homes, hospitals, etc always lock up the narcotics because that's the stuff that gets swiped. It's just the responsible thing to do. Guns get priority attention from any thief and we do have a civic responsibility to at least not make it easy for them to steal our firearms. If someone steals my TV, at least they can't use the TV to harm others. They can definitely use my guns to do harm, so I keep them locked up.

It's kind of like not leaving harmful chemicals within easy reach of a toddler. There are certain minimum steps one should take.

About the "moderation" in the title: I tend to be an accumulator so I use my safe to limit myself. It's at capacity so I need to remove something to make room for anything new. It keeps the sprawl down.

searcher451
February 24, 2009, 11:27 AM
Legalities aside, having a solid and secure safe available makes perfect sense for the responsible homeowner and gun owner. The last thing any of us wants is for a thief to steal a prized firearm (or an entire collection) for want of a sensible and reasonably priced purchase.

I don't know about anyone else, but the thought of some lowlife walking down the street with any one of my firearms tucked away on his person sends shivers down my spine.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun safe or more guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!