Handgun sight preference

PDA

XLMiguel
October 3, 2003, 10:47 AM
I have a variety of sighting systems on the handguns I own. For fast acquisition and reasonable [combat] accuracy, I do well with the express-stye and fiber optic. For straight accuracy, I do best with dot-the-i followed by fiber optic (with MMC target rear), then three dot. Basic black is OK outdoors, but I don't like them indoors against a dark target.

What's your preference and why?

If you enjoyed reading about "Handgun sight preference" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
laynlow
October 3, 2003, 11:11 AM
I use three dot Dawson fiber optics on my competition/training gun and three dot Meps on my carry gun.

The dawson's are adjustable and a great choice for my 34. As one person put it, "these sights look like the Las Vegas strip!" They are very fast sights. For my carry gun I just like Meps for all the obvious reasons.

AND, I was the first to vote! :D

C.R.Sam
October 3, 2003, 11:43 AM
Iron, black.
Adjustable for target work.
Itty bitty non snaging for carry. (Like 1911)

Sam

10-Ring
October 3, 2003, 11:49 AM
I've gotten use to 3-dot sights...I like the contrast when the background or target colors change.

Keith
October 3, 2003, 12:47 PM
A couple of years ago on TFL, I posted a long note about my experiences with fiber optic sights on a Kimber Compact.
The thread got some legs, but not one person could be found that was using fiber optics - other than myself, of course.
A lot of people couldn't even understand why anyone would want such a system and the more I tried to explain the advantages, the more opposed to the idea they became.

It looks like they are finally starting to catch on. I said then, and I still say today that on a DEFENSE pistol, these fiber optic sights are the best thing to come along in a long time.

Keith

Brian Williams
October 3, 2003, 12:56 PM
I follow Sam on this.

Poohgyrr
October 3, 2003, 01:01 PM
Hmmm, I like Tri Jicons on my autoloaders. Somehow, my stock S&W revolver sights don't bother me. For stock auto sights, the Hi Power MKIII's and Glocks work well for me, although I do prefer those night sights.

Zach S
October 3, 2003, 02:26 PM
I like three dot. Against a dark target my black iron sights dont do much good for me, unless I spin my target around to look at the blank (white) back of it, I shoot better with my LDA than with my Kimber, and the Kimber is the more accurate of the two.

I'd like to try ashleys though.

4v50 Gary
October 3, 2003, 02:41 PM
Three dot, tritium.

Andrew Wyatt
October 3, 2003, 02:41 PM
Iron, black, non adjustable because they seem to adjust when you don't want them to.

KahrKarrier
October 3, 2003, 02:43 PM
Three dot Trijicons on both my Kahrs and my Glock 33. They stay bright and clear 24/7.

farscott
October 3, 2003, 06:57 PM
My choice is the black-on-black with a post front sight. My eyes need all the help they can get to sharply resolve the front sight, and the white dots seem to make focusing more difficult.

DMK
October 3, 2003, 09:09 PM
I like the bar dot, not dot the "i", but a dot over a bar "-".

I also like the dot over the dot on the Kel-tec P-32.

ChickenHawk
October 3, 2003, 09:45 PM
Yikes, I love my P32 but I would never call those sights! :D

I like the three dot type.

Cheers,
ChickenHawk

Standing Wolf
October 3, 2003, 10:39 PM
I like a tall, narrow Patridge sight up front and a deeply notched, fully adjustable rear sight on my target guns—or else red dot scopes for the sake of my aging eye.

Stevie-Ray
October 3, 2003, 10:42 PM
Another for 3 dot tritium

sm
October 4, 2003, 01:19 AM
Another in agreement with Sam.

denfoote
October 4, 2003, 04:44 AM
Novak Low Mount sights on my 1911.

caz223
October 4, 2003, 05:16 AM
Basically, I agree with sam.
I prefer non-snag 'dot the eye' sights for carry, 3 dot nights for HD, basic black for 25-50 yard target work, and kieth type sights for long range shooting.
Didn't vote.

STEVE M
October 4, 2003, 09:21 AM
A good set of black on black fixed sights for duty / carry, Bo-Mar's for gun

that you will be changing loads in.

XLMiguel
October 5, 2003, 11:57 AM
Thanks for your thoughts.

I find I can shoot decently with any system when I'm on the range, taking my time, I can pretty much figure it out. However, when I'm practicing quick target acquisition (defensive) shooting, I'm quickest with the Express set-up or fiber optic followed by dot-the-"i". I guess it boils down to the notion that I can do vertical alignment quicker than horizontal (i.e. three dot). The other factor is my over-50 bifocal eyes are well served by the big dot/glowing dot. Regardless of the sights, though, I believe that its practice, practice, practice.

Black Snowman
October 5, 2003, 12:38 PM
I didn't vote because I haven't tried all those and I've seen a couple others that I like that weren't on the list.

I really like the new Steyr /^\ style sights although I've only tried them briefly. Of the guns I have and use regularly the DoubleRings from JP Customs are my current favorites. With my Glock 24P equiped with them I get fast aquistion in speed shooting and get 3-4" 10 shot groups at 25 yards unsupported.

I'm a fan of dot sights but that's obviously not in the realm of what we're comparing :)

Zundfolge
October 5, 2003, 01:31 PM
I really like the new Steyr /^\ style sights
Ditto here ... I really wish Steyr would start making them for other guns (or license the design to Novak or another sight maker).

If only I could get /^\ night sights for my M40.

Island Beretta
October 6, 2003, 02:34 PM
3 dots all the way. My eyes pickup the dots alignment quicker and guides my hands to middle that front dot in the rear sight notch almost automatically.

I find the dot on i to give an accurate sight picture too though not as fast for me as 3 dots.

Zak Smith
October 6, 2003, 03:48 PM
I used to like 3dot, and 3dot tritium sights.

Then I started shooting IPSC. Now I find that a basic black sight picture like you get with Heinies or Bomars is better at speed than 3dot. For self-defense pistols, I now get a tritum dot without the white outline on the front sight.

-z

Chairman Meow
October 6, 2003, 04:00 PM
I really like Meprolights since they have huge dots that you can always see. Sort of pricey to have night sights on every weapon though.

Cortland
October 6, 2003, 04:40 PM
I'm a big fan of the Steyr sights too, but for the record they're called trapezoidal sights (not "/^\" :neener: ).

There's some quote I can't remember right now in which Novak says something about Steyr's trapezoidal sights along the lines of ... "what f***ing idiot designed these?" The sights are of course patented, so it sounds like sour grapes to me. The sights on my Steyr M9 are by far the favorite of any gun I have. Would really like to see Steyr make/license aftermarket sights, as well. Then again, I may just be a f***ing idiot!

Zundfolge
October 6, 2003, 04:54 PM
I'm a big fan of the Steyr sights too, but for the record they're called trapezoidal sights (not "/^\" :neener: ).
Actually it's Triangle/Trapezoid not trapezoidal :neener:

I dunno ... I kinda liked Black Snowman's glyph for the Triangle/Trapezoid sights and think its much easier to type then Triangle/Trapezoid.

Mike Irwin
October 6, 2003, 06:01 PM
I'd have to say 3 dot, or the variations on them.

I cannot stand the fiber optic sights. I get too much flare from them and my sight picture goes straight to hell.

Navy joe
October 10, 2003, 07:52 PM
I like a bright front sight and a black rear. All those dots are too busy. Right now my favorite fronts are Aeroteks on my Glocks, red fiber and Green tritium, always a dot to look at. I black the rear stock sights out with a sharpie. On std sights I've been known to attack the front sight with orange nail polish. I want to see that thing, and just be vaguely aware of the rear.

I want to get a horz. tritium bar rear for one of my Glocks, I think Heinie makes what I want, if not I'll just go straight 8, one dot rear, one in front. Align vertically.

556A2
October 10, 2003, 09:13 PM
Three Dot Meprolights

Edward429451
October 10, 2003, 09:43 PM
Nothin wrong with black on black post. I have some Meps too, they're allright. I probably don't really need them but they don't hurt.

I got to check out a SG at the range recently with a fiber optic sight on it, it was cool! Puts a nice big green bead on it. Supposedly they glow pretty bright at night too.

If you enjoyed reading about "Handgun sight preference" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!