Fox TV show "Dollhouse"

PDA

CentralTexas
February 21, 2009, 12:10 PM
2nd episode last night (Friday), there is a scene where Eliza Dushka and her handler are being chased through the woods by a homicidal madman. Her handler hands her a pistol and says do you know how to use this. She replies as she racks the slide, "I grew up with four brothers, none of them Democrats" by way of explanation that she does know firearms.

I know the mods will probably lock this, but I thought it was interesting that a TV show made a crack like that instead of the typical "Yes, but I hate them" and also seemed to reflect a common misperception that Democrats are anti gun:rolleyes:.

If you enjoyed reading about "Fox TV show "Dollhouse"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jorg Nysgerrig
February 21, 2009, 12:16 PM
While an interesting observation, political television show dialogue is off-topic. However, I'm going to reopen this to see which direction the thread takes.

230RN
February 21, 2009, 02:20 PM
Well, without going political, I suspect that this reflects a changing attitude in pop culture in at least a minor way. Perhaps we are at last having a positive effect on the main stream media?

At last?

Perhaps?

Duke of Doubt
February 21, 2009, 02:30 PM
I've seen improvement in recent years on television shows and in movies. Take a hard look at even the movies and shows we liked twenty to thirty years ago, and you will notice more anti-gun messages than you probably noticed at the time.

Politicians like Metzenbaum, Biden and Feinstein are old and tired-sounding. The younger generation of liberals isn't all that interested in taking away our guns. They might VOTE to do it, but they won't get into it and consciously go out of their way to make a direct issue of it the way Metzenbaum, Biden and Feinstein did back in the day. The popular culture reflects this, to some degree. Too many of their consumers and voters play those stupid first-person shooter games to fear guns the way their cohort would have thirty years ago.

statelineblues
February 21, 2009, 03:47 PM
The creator of "Firefly", Joss Whedon, is the creator/exec producer of this show.

MAKster
February 21, 2009, 07:20 PM
Did anyone else notice that the silencer on her gun was seriously drooping? Fox is burning the show off on Friday nights and it will probably be cancelled shortly.

hso
February 22, 2009, 01:49 AM
Let's hope that this is another indication of some success for RKBA in the culture wars. Unfortunately it does continue some stereotypes.

Oro
February 22, 2009, 01:51 AM
"I grew up with four brothers, none of them Democrats" by way of explanation that she does know firearms.

Loved that, we laughed fairly hard at it. As Statelineblues mentioned, it's Joss Whedon's show, so it's not "normal" television. And the weapons of "Firefly"were interesting, well-crafted, and woven deeply into the texture of the show. We are big fans of his, but sadly "Dollhouse" seems to be not firing on all cylinders.

I don't find all that much television as "anti" gun. Some are, some aren't, in about the proportion of real life Americans.

MikePGS
February 22, 2009, 01:51 AM
I think many "younger people" are definitely more open to the ideas of guns being something that brings joy, not fear. Its hard to play fifteen different video games that all prominently feature firearms (even specific ones that you can purchase) and go out into the real world and vote against them.

MaterDei
March 3, 2009, 12:45 PM
I just saw this too. Great dialogue. :)

Right after he gives her the gun she tries to give it back telling him that he should keep it to protect himself in case the bad guy that was stalking them found him. His response was, "You didn't think I'd give you my only gun did you?" (as he pull another gun from concealment).

CoRoMo
March 3, 2009, 02:31 PM
I love those extremely rare instances where truth makes its way into the media's dialogue. They could have gone a step further, but enjoy what you get. Usually the line goes something like...

I don't believe in those evil things. That's what's wrong with this world in the first place.
Blah, blah, blah.

Orion8472
March 3, 2009, 02:39 PM
The "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" series was pretty anti-gun, actually. Different lines like "These things are never helpful". . . or something like that. I thought it was quite interesting that Dollhouse would use the line it did. I was pretty glad to hear it.

But it is true, and it makes a good point. To be good at something, you can't be afraid of it, . . . you should never demonize it, but with the proper training, it can be very useful.

Dan M.
March 3, 2009, 02:50 PM
Did anyone else notice that the silencer on her gun was seriously drooping?

Even my wife noticed that. Pretty funny.

Why does Whedon keep going back to Fox when they keep cancelling his shows?

Superlite27
March 3, 2009, 05:22 PM
Wierd. While flipping through the channels, I caught only this segment of the show.

After seeing the VERY noticeable bad alignment of the pistol and supressor, I watched a few more moments until the dude tried to "out draw" her .......with a bow (that he had fully drawn......IN A FIST..... ABOUT A FOOT WIDE OF HIS FACE)

I thought to myself, "Hmmmmmm. Some 'outdoorsman' he is. More hokey Hollywood crap."

then continued on flipping.

Hk91-762mm
March 3, 2009, 05:49 PM
It irritates me no end that Hollywired can make millions off Gun Violence Then work to take our rights away after Promoting blood guts and gore!
Movies -Predator// under siege ETC.

Hugo
March 3, 2009, 05:56 PM
I think Buffy the Vampire slayer was more, "Guns don't work on vampires" since only really old school things like wooden stakes or swords were any help. Don't know if anyone ever tried silver bullets though.

It's good that TV is wising up to the people responsibly enjoying firearms and shooting sports. Now if only ammo was a bit cheaper.

KBintheSLC
March 3, 2009, 07:15 PM
Im shocked that this made it through 18 posts. Cool.

sm
March 4, 2009, 01:08 AM
Eliza Dushka,
Was also on a late night talk show and spoke of deer, or elk hunting, I forget which.
She also demonstrated shooting her bow on the show.

She caught a lot of flak from PETA, and other folks that do not think as WE do.
She handled it well and basically, meat does not come from a grocery store or fast food joint. She said something to the effect of being self sufficient too.

This is refreshing to have another "go against the machines" in Hollywood, and other "group think", and flat out share she has her own bow, and had gone hunting.

Re: Dollhouse.
She is Producer, correct?
She is expressing some other things in her characters in regard to being self reliant, and other ideas we responsible firearm owners have.

Re: Wrong Turn.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0295700/
Her character in this movie, shows self reliance.

Starcheck55
March 4, 2009, 11:05 AM
Both Dollhouse and The Sarah Connor Chronicles are on Friday nights on Fox.

TSCC does a pretty good job with its gunplay. I think I've only seen one character chamber a round ever....nice change of pace from where a character is randomly chambering a round every 10 seconds on other shows.

texas bulldog
March 4, 2009, 11:18 AM
and i've seen some pretty bad gun handling in TSCC, particularly from john connor, the alleged savior of humanity.

Orion8472
March 4, 2009, 06:02 PM
I can't remember the program I was watching, . . . could have been Dollhouse, . . . but one of my pet peeves is when someone is using a semi-auto handgun, and rather than the sliding locking back, it "runs out of bullets and clicks". GRRRRRRRR :cuss:

If you enjoyed reading about "Fox TV show "Dollhouse"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!