Bedroom gunsafe

PDA

pigpooch
February 21, 2009, 09:09 PM
This is a gun safe I built for our bedroom. It is bolted to the floor and access in the basement secured. Uses a deadbolt left over from construction and 1/8" steel with overlapped and welded joints. Hinge pins are welded.

Could a BG get to it? Yes, with enough persistence and some electric tools. Since it is mounted flush with the wall next to the bed prying it open would be pretty time consuming.

When we go to bed at night, my key goes into the deadbolt then is removed when we get up.

The wood over steel gives it a pretty unassuming look and no one has ever even noticed it. Especially when the bed spread covers it during the day. LOE buddies of mine, even when shown didn't realize what it was. Sort of a hidden in plane sight thing. Throw a pillow or magazine against it and it is gone from sight.

Just sharing a practical solution to one security problem.

pigpooch

If you enjoyed reading about "Bedroom gunsafe" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
steveracer
February 21, 2009, 09:27 PM
I think it's brilliant. Did you do it all yourself? If so, you are a craftsman.
I did a drawer-type unit for under the bed. It's UNDER the bed, but you turn the key, and it's out. Works pretty nice. I'll have to show you some pics. Built mine myself, too.

If you enjoyed reading about "Bedroom gunsafe" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!