is it just me or is there an awful lot of...going on in the forums...?

PDA

SilentStalker
February 21, 2009, 09:33 PM
is it just me or does there not seem to be an awful lot of phishing going on in the forums lately? There are a lot of newbie's to the board asking some pretty potent/yet inviting questions, almost as if they are, well you can figure it out. Call me crazy but I a must stating something I have noticed recently. Am I the only one noticing this?

If you enjoyed reading about "is it just me or is there an awful lot of...going on in the forums...?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
WardenWolf
February 21, 2009, 09:34 PM
Do you mean trolling? As in, trying to incite an argument or flame war?

SilentStalker
February 21, 2009, 09:35 PM
yes, sorry phishing would be the wrong word here, trolling LOL. Sorry, my mistake. I had a brain far I guess. it kind of makes you think about things a little.

Jorg Nysgerrig
February 21, 2009, 09:35 PM
It could be an elaborate plan to get in our heads to gather intelligence or perhaps there is a sudden resurgence of in interest firearms due to recent political happenings. I would ask Occam for his opinion.

SilentStalker
February 21, 2009, 09:40 PM
LOL, um Occam? Ah yes the great Occam, got you. ^^^and yes you are right it very well could be. Certain things are of interest to certain people you know so it is interesting.

Sauer Grapes
February 21, 2009, 10:35 PM
New generation I fear. Heads have been filled with silly puddy I think. Not all but some.

hso
February 22, 2009, 01:02 AM
If the newbs knew everything already they wouldn't be newbs.;)

That said, we do occasionally have group attacks against RKBA where we get provocateurs who will come in and attempt to get members to act like the antis' want us to act so they can point at how their propaganda is based on "fact".

The best way to deal with either is to follow THR's rules and be civil and reasonable and provide facts.

Rmac58
February 22, 2009, 07:59 AM
Perhaps I fit the mold, SilentStalker, we have a similar number of posts, and I've been here less that a year.
I have just recently "discovered" guns, I may ask otherwise obvious questions, forgive me.

bikerdoc
February 22, 2009, 11:35 AM
Rmac,
I like answering questions at any level, if I have the answer you got it.
Dont be afraid to ask. Learning is fun.

redneck2
February 22, 2009, 12:45 PM
is it just me or does there not seem to be an awful lot of phishing going on in the forums lately? There are a lot of newbie's to the board asking some pretty potent/yet inviting questions,
The posts seem to run in cycles, some shorter than others. If you watch the "reloading" forum, there may be three threads running at the same time about "best loads for the .223". It certainly never goes more than a week or two before another one pops up.

Fortunately, typically the mods now quickly kill the 9 vs 45 or Handgun for Bear threads. I'd rather have my hand slammed in a car door than read another of those.

Newbies come and go all the time. There are only a certain number of topics that can be discussed. Some just get recycled more often than others.

SilentStalker
February 22, 2009, 01:18 PM
Perhaps I fit the mold, SilentStalker, we have a similar number of posts, and I've been here less that a year.
I have just recently "discovered" guns, I may ask otherwise obvious questions, forgive me.

Originally posted by:

Rmac58

Nah, I don't think you fit the mold at all. I love answering any questions that I can on any level. I am still pretty much a newbie to but I will always try to answer any question I can and be as helpful as I can every opportunity that I get. i find nothing wrong with asking questions as that is what we are all here for, right? We are all here to interact and learn from each other on some level or another. In the future maybe we can help each other out as well. I am sure you know stuff that I do not and vice versa.

What I was really referring to is the new people that seem to be popping up everywhere with 1-2 posts asking about some really heated arguments, you can tell who they are vs. the genuine newbie's, trust me. There is nothing wrong with being a newbie as we all were at some time or another, it is only those that just randomly pop up and ask heated questions that I am concerned about. Then again I will follow another member's recommendation and ask the great Occam.

bp78
February 22, 2009, 01:28 PM
The recent Lead Free Ammo Movement, Professor doesn't support college CHL, and Letter to NRA about TP9-too-assultish threads all seem very suspect recently.

The original posters in all of them seem too well informed on the anti's position to be so clueless on what it really means to 2A supporters. I think all the threads were new (<10) posters too.

Mods ever watch what IPs these users come from?

Jorg Nysgerrig
February 22, 2009, 01:56 PM
We can review the IPs and I can assure you that none of those posts are suspect for that reason.

People have questions. We answer them. It doesn't really matter who they are as long as they are polite.

Take the TP9 thread, for example. You suggest that author has some kind of agenda. It would seem unlikely that someone who is so hellbent on destroying the second amendment would be so patient as to join almost two and half years ago, ask a couple of innocuous questions about a Kel-Tec pistol and then lie in wait, lurking, anticipating that this will build his credibility so that sometime in the future, he can find a review in an official NRA publication that he can use to divide and conquer this board.

Wouldn't it be more plausible to think he's a regular lurker (of which there are thousands) who simply, through no malice, really thinks such guns aren't appropriate for the NRA to review for whatever personal reasons that we may not understand?

bp78
February 22, 2009, 02:24 PM
Out of curiosity Jorg, are their any membership trend charts for THR around? How many new registrations over the last few months compared to the year before? I'd agree with your Occam's point above that we're probably swimming with loads of new shooters this year.

I didn't mean for the previous post to sound paranoid - just that the posts mentioned were unique since they presented such a well educated anti position without the pro-balance seen in other conversation-provoking threads here.

Jorg Nysgerrig
February 22, 2009, 02:47 PM
I don't know of any charts, maybe Mal has something like that available. I can, however, tell you this. If you go to the member list, sort by join date from newest to oldest, and go back to page 101, that puts you at 23 Oct 08, so roughly 4 months worth of registration. If you go back to 201, it is 20 Apr 08, so about another 6 months. If you go to page 301, that goes to 8 Nov 07. That is about about 5.5 months to get 100 pages of registration. Going to 401 takes us back to 1 Mar 07, so a bit over 7 months. Going to 501 takes us to 17 July 06, so about 8 months.

Each page 100 pages represents 1000 or so registrations, so, the last four months have averages about 250 per month now as opposed to 175ish for the previous 12 months. I'd say that's about a 40% increase, assuming my math is anywhere close to right.

hso
February 22, 2009, 02:49 PM
Ohhh, there's no question that THR's size and high activity level draws antis looking to stir things up.

I still advise taking the THR approach to confound such scoundrels.

bp78
February 22, 2009, 02:53 PM
Those number are impressive, probably more so when you consider the legal troubles going on here now with the owners duplicate thr.us site probably picking up new unique members too.

hso
February 22, 2009, 02:58 PM
Quantcast's statistical analysis shows a significant upturn in activity after November (but we suspected that, didn't we).

It says we reach 3/4 of a million people a month. (http://www.quantcast.com/thehighroad.org)

bp78
February 22, 2009, 03:00 PM
http://www.quantcast.com/profile/trafficGraph?ggt=swg&wunit=wd%3Aorg.thehighroad&drg=us&dtr=dm&dty=pp
That chart notes a nice uptick in November '08 as expected.

prelaw09
February 22, 2009, 03:24 PM
As a younger person (student) and a noob to shooting and second amendment issues, I feel that I can speak a little to this. There are a lot of people my age who were non-shooters, or not gun owners who might not have really cared one way or the other about 2A rights. But a lot of those same people are now well aware that there could be some major changes coming down the pipe. Some folks are even afraid. I have seen these people running out and buying guns, heck, I have even gone with a few. There are also some (more than you would think) ladies asking us to take them shooting, and asking about buying a gun for protection. My friend was always happy going to the range with his Ruger 10/22 and S&W 686. He never had any interest in "hi cap" pistols or "assault weapons", but in the last few months he has bought 2 Glock pistols, an AR15, and is looking for an AK.

The current political and economic climate is causing people who are not shooters or were fence sitters to now become shooters or gun owners (or at least want to be). Many of them are very confused about the laws from watching too much TV or crap that they hear from friends and coworkers. We know the anti's rap well because unless you seek out the other side of the argument it's all that you hear. Our professors are mostly anti 2A, or at best see it in some "sporting purpose" role. Many of us (speaking about the north east) are made to feel like criminals for owning or wanting to own a gun. We are attacked when we defend the 2A, or correct people in class that the 2A gives us nothing, that it was intended as a guarantee of a natural right. But compared to last year, there are now more defenders and less attackers, although the attackers seem to be more vicious than ever.

Bottom line is that folks are afraid and confused, and after a google search or two, this is the most friendly and least "macho" place to sign up and ask questions. Remember a lot of newbies feel stupid for asking the questions that most folks here think of as common knowledge.

hso
February 22, 2009, 04:09 PM
Considering Jorg's estimates, quantcast's analysis and our new member prelaw09's sound information we probably should err on the side of treating these new folks that sound like all they know is anti rhetoric as new friends who are attempting to get out from under the anti propaganda by coming here to find the facts.

Let's try very hard over the next few months to educate the new members and try to remember that you don't educate anyone by treating them like they're stupid or dishonest.

fireman 9731
February 22, 2009, 04:37 PM
I think that prelaw09 made a good point, in today's political climate more and more people are becoming aligned one way or another and the fence sitters aren't sitting anymore. People that used to just keep guns in their closets are now dusting them off and thinking about political possibilities. With that comes questions and activism.

Rmac58
February 22, 2009, 06:36 PM
I imagine there are trolls on most forums. I visit numerous daily, every now and again one pops up.
I'll agree with prelaw09, (I'm 50) there seems to be an up tick in awareness, that's a good thing. The trick is to get accurate info to folks.

fireman 9731, I like your sig! Darwinism at it's finest.

sm
February 22, 2009, 08:32 PM
hso wrote: Let's try very hard over the next few months to educate the new members and try to remember that you don't educate anyone by treating them like they're stupid or dishonest.

Unwritten Rule(s).

New Folks buy: the ammo, beer, Dr. Pepper, coffee, BBQ, chocolate chip cookies...

I am out of Dr. Pepper, chocolate chip cookies, and I'd kill for a extra large pizza with everything on it, including anchovies, and a couple of racks of BBQ Ribs.

When I get my stuff - I'll start ed-ju-ma-ka-tin'
*smile*

Bribery, blackmail and cheatin' will outdo youth and skill any day of the week. -anon

SilentStalker
February 22, 2009, 09:48 PM
^^^LMAO. I'll throw in the pizza.

rogerjames
February 22, 2009, 09:54 PM
I also belong to a "car" forum. The veterans use the "search" function and review old threads. The Noobies post threads that were posted one week ago... they are new to the site, or don't know how to "search". Besides... we all like to feel smart and are more than willing to answer noob questions. It makes us feel important! :p

sm
February 22, 2009, 11:06 PM
Besides... we all like to feel smart and are more than willing to answer noob questions. It makes us feel important!

Speak for yourself...

I always wondered why my Mentors had the grins they had...
Now that I am of the age they were...

It is all about the bribery and blackmail dude!

New folks clean guns, reload ammo, police brass and hulls, and ....
I do this "mentoring" and "passing forward" bit.

Yeah but... sm how come you have the post count you have?

Networking dude ! I ain't the resident Rebel around here for nothing!

New members, pay attention:

Newbie: What gun for my GF/Wife?
Mentor: That'll cost ya stocking the Staff fridge with Shiner Bock.

Newbie: I want to post a Wal-Mart Thread.
Mentor: That will cost you a metric ton of Wasabi Peas for Justin.

Newbie: What Ammo for Zombies?
Mentor: Mal H and Larry Ashcraft need some of those "squishey frisbees" for their dawgs.

Newbie: I want to post a 9mm vs 45ACP thread.
Mentor: Staff is low on Tylenol, so first send a case of Tylenol to Staff, then donate bricks of .22 lr so kids can learn to shoot.

Newbie: What knife steel is best?
Mentor: hso needs new forge for his wonderful daughter. So send hso a forge and whatever his wonderful daughter wants and then we will talk about knife steel.

Newbie: What Body Armor for bedside in case Mutant Ducks attack?
Mentor: Jeff White could use season tickets to see the St. Louis Cardinals...

Newbie: What shotgun for the elusive jack-a-lope.
Mentor: Will Fennell has some youths that could some 28 ga shotguns, and some youth size 20 ga guns. Contact Will and then get back to us.

Newbie: How to get motivated after shooting my worst round of skeet?

<taps foot>

I am still waiting for my Dr. Pepper, Peet's House Blend coffee, chocolate chip cookies, large pizza and BBQ Ribs.

*smile*

rogerjames
February 23, 2009, 12:04 AM
Speak for yourself...

I always wondered why my Mentors had the grins they had...
Now that I am of the age they were...

It is all about the bribery and blackmail dude!

New folks clean guns, reload ammo, police brass and hulls, and ....
I do this "mentoring" and "passing forward" bit.

Yeah but... sm how come you have the post count you have?

Networking dude ! I ain't the resident Rebel around here for nothing!

New members, pay attention:

Newbie: What gun for my GF/Wife?
Mentor: That'll cost ya stocking the Staff fridge with Shiner Bock.

Newbie: I want to post a Wal-Mart Thread.
Mentor: That will cost you a metric ton of Wasabi Peas for Justin.

Newbie: What Ammo for Zombies?
Mentor: Mal H and Larry Ashcraft need some of those "squishey frisbees" for their dawgs.

Newbie: I want to post a 9mm vs 45ACP thread.
Mentor: Staff is low on Tylenol, so first send a case of Tylenol to Staff, then donate bricks of .22 lr so kids can learn to shoot.

Newbie: What knife steel is best?
Mentor: hso needs new forge for his wonderful daughter. So send hso a forge and whatever his wonderful daughter wants and then we will talk about knife steel.

Newbie: What Body Armor for bedside in case Mutant Ducks attack?
Mentor: Jeff White could use season tickets to see the St. Louis Cardinals...

Newbie: What shotgun for the elusive jack-a-lope.
Mentor: Will Fennell has some youths that could some 28 ga shotguns, and some youth size 20 ga guns. Contact Will and then get back to us.

Newbie: How to get motivated after shooting my worst round of skeet?

<taps foot>

I am still waiting for my Dr. Pepper, Peet's House Blend coffee, chocolate chip cookies, large pizza and BBQ Ribs.

*smile*
:D:D:D

fireman 9731
February 23, 2009, 12:50 AM
That made my evening too :D

SM: I'm glad that there are guys like you on here to keep things straight!:D

sm
February 23, 2009, 02:30 AM
SM: I'm glad that there are guys like you on here to keep things straight!

Some folks do not realize how tough a job it is to train Admins, Staff, and Mods around here.
Still I do it , for you folks.

It feels nice to appreciated, thank you.

Oh, listen since I got you here.

Newbie: What shotgun for Wobble Trap.
Dave Mc needs a new CD of the Allman Bros Live at The Fillmore East.

Newbie: How to CCW in Hot Weather?
Xavier Breath has a couple of gals he is going to teach to shoot, so he could use some .22 lr and .38spl 148 gr wad cutters.

Newbie: Which Duckbutt and Fuzzy Dice for a 1911?

1911Tuner has a dawg in need of a home, forget the Duckbutts and Fuzzy Dice, save the money and get this dawg.
Oh, and Tuner is sorta low on coffee of which he makes "Turbo Coffee".

Excuse me, 4v50Gary is going on about nipple picks and being as I am as dumb as brick, in regard to black powder, I better clarify before I ask a Newbie to get involved with this dealie.

*grin*

JohnBT
February 23, 2009, 12:11 PM
"Dave Mc needs a new CD of the Allman Bros Live at The Fillmore East."

I'd burn him one, but my turntable broke last week. Probably for the best, the record has just about had the grooves worn off of it. Oh well.

I've noticed at work that as computers and net service get cheaper and cheaper there are more and more folks getting on-line for the first time. I can't believe the number of folks I see who have never been on line - my demo of how to web surf is the first they've seen. Sigh. They do love it though.

We have 4 computers for clients to use; the libraries have free computers, community centers do too, and even some apartment rental offices let renters get on-line, etc.

John

bikerdoc
February 24, 2009, 09:14 AM
Have introduced several fellow "seasoned citizens" to THR using the free computer at the local senior center- known locally as wrinkle city(and we are proud we earned every one, guffah, smirk)
As for music we prefer Alabama, the Stones,and Lynard Skynard.

JohnBT
February 24, 2009, 02:08 PM
After 20 years of trying to convince him, my father finally asked me to buy him a computer last summer. I don't think he posts much at all, but he certainly likes reading and searching. He's 87 and is on his laptop off and on all day, although some of it is playing poker. ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "is it just me or is there an awful lot of...going on in the forums...?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!