A question for those employed in the firearms industry

PDA

R.W.Dale
February 22, 2009, 02:37 PM
Just how sick and tired are you of hearing the same old " Supposedly the Oh,bama administration is trying to get <insert shooting related item> banned" rumors. You know the ones that every customer who walks in the door has firm belief that you're totally unaware of and he is the only soul with this valuable inside knowledge.:rolleyes:

Even though I just barely work on the edge of things as a side job, speaking for myself I'm so sick of hearing this stuff I could vomit.

please only vote in this poll if your employment is related to the shooting industry

If you enjoyed reading about "A question for those employed in the firearms industry" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JImbothefiveth
February 22, 2009, 02:45 PM
Supposedly the Oh,bama administration is trying to get <insert shooting related item> banned" rumors.
You mean like the ones the president started?

Duke of Doubt
February 22, 2009, 02:51 PM
I moonlight on the fringes of the "firearms industry" as a security consultant and firearms instructor, very part-time. But I spend a fair amount of time around firearms and in shops which carry guns and ammunition. I've become so sick of the banic that I am ready to vomit. Doesn't mean something won't happen; that's not the point. People are jumping at shadows and buying all the wrong guns and all the wrong accessories on the basis of banic.

R.W.Dale
February 22, 2009, 09:50 PM
I moonlight on the fringes of the "firearms industry" as a security consultant and firearms instructor, very part-time. But I spend a fair amount of time around firearms and in shops which carry guns and ammunition. I've become so sick of the banic that I am ready to vomit. Doesn't mean something won't happen; that's not the point. People are jumping at shadows and buying all the wrong guns and all the wrong accessories on the basis of banic.

My thoughts exactly. People need to diffrenciate between informed aware activism and rumormongering

azhunter122
February 22, 2009, 09:55 PM
I don't know, some are dumb and some are real concerns but it's not going to make me buy something I don't already intend on buying.

Big Bill
February 23, 2009, 12:49 AM
Even though I just barely work on the edge of things as a side job, speaking for myself I'm so sick of hearing this stuff I could vomit.
Is it because Obama is soneone you admire? Why not tell us why people shouldn't be out buying guns and ammo because of the threat Obama poses to the 2nd Ammendment?

Sixtigers
February 23, 2009, 06:57 AM
I don't care why the buy 'em, as long as they do buy 'em.
I don't care why they're concerned, as long as they're concerned.
I don't know why some folks suddenly feel the need to obtain weapons, but I'm glad they have, and welcome them into the fold.

I guess I'm just glad to see any resurgence of interest in the shooting sports, for whatever reasons. Sometimes, a feller feels a might lonely shootin' by hisself.

leadcounsel
February 23, 2009, 11:30 AM
Clinton did it, and I don't think he had as many Dems in Congress, Senate or House. Sure it cost the Dems seats, but the point is Clinton wasn't as liberal as Obama or the VP.

NO TO MENTION IT'S ON HIS WHITE HOUSE HOME PAGE! HE SAYS RIGHT THERE THAT HE AND THE VP WANT TO RE-ENACT THE ASSAULT WEAPON BAN. STRAIGHT FROM THE HORSES MOUTH!

He's already shown he's a motivated man, with the will and ability to pass LARGELY unpopular laws and bills, like the 'stimulus package.' And if/when he does it, it won't be temporary. YOU JUST SIMPLY WON'T BE ABLE/AFFORD TO BUY CERTAIN GUNS AND MAGAZINES!

Now, If I were a betting man I'd say we see some serious encroachment on the 2A in the next 2-4 years. I'm in the group of 'hope for the best, prepare for the worst' and putting my money down on all the hardware that I see on the list of 'banned' while I still can.

Folks, it ain't getting any cheaper to own and shoot guns; not in the next 4 years anyway.

And if the S really hits the fan, it'll never get cheaper!

mattnoks
February 23, 2009, 11:43 AM
The facts are that a higher percentage of Republicans voted in favor of the ban than Dems did

The Senate vote on the ban was 95 in favor, 4 against, and 1 abstention. 50/53 (94.3%) Democrats voted for the legislation. 45/47 (95.7%) Republicans voted for the ban.

Obama wants to make the federal assault weapons ban permanent, prohibit high capacity magazines, and probably put locks on more models of guns. So unless your in the market for the following you probably don't have to rush and buy it:

Semi-automatic rifles able to accept detachable magazines and two or more of the following:

* Folding stock
* pistol grip
* Bayonet mount
* Flash suppressor, or threaded barrel designed to accommodate one
* Grenade launcher (more precisely, a muzzle device which enables the launching or firing of rifle grenades)

Semi-automatic pistols with detachable magazines and two or more of the following:

* Magazine that attaches outside the pistol grip
* Threaded barrel to attach barrel extender, flash suppressor, handgrip, or silencer
* Barrel shroud that can be used as a hand-hold
* Unloaded weight of 50 oz (1.4 kg) or more
* A semi-automatic version of an automatic firearm

Semi-automatic shotguns with two or more of the following:

* Folding or telescoping stock
* Pistol grip
* Fixed capacity of more than 5 rounds
* Detachable magazine

Also you can thank Republicans as well, we don't always have to be bashing the Democrats on here.

Walkalong
February 23, 2009, 11:50 AM
You mean like the ones the president started?Yep, good reason for all the fear mongering, but it still makes me puke to hear sales people use scare tactics to sell stuff, especially the mundane stuff that is in no immediate danger.

My question to the gun industry is this. My FFL guy says that across the board the firearms makers are not shipping as much as they have in the recent past. Why is this when the demand is huge right now?

Bailey Guns
February 23, 2009, 11:51 AM
Whatever you do, don't hit the guy with a box of Wolf ammo. It'll break the extractor and ruin the chamber in your gun. No need to ruin your gun because he's a knucklehead.

JonF
February 23, 2009, 05:31 PM
I was at my local indoor range and needed to buy some 357 to shoot that day as i had run out. The owner lamented that he had none to sell and had been out for a few weeks as ammo is hard for him to get even being a range owner. In what seemed like a much maligned effort to justify his supply issues, he told me "if you think this is bad, wait 'till they put that %500 tax and this box of 9mm costs you $75!". I was definitely LOL'ing inside on that one. Even those "in the industry" are not immune to the idiocy flying around.

f4t9r
February 23, 2009, 05:42 PM
Its not a if , Its a when.
My problem is striking fear in people just so they can jack up the prices and people are falling for it.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
February 23, 2009, 05:45 PM
I would think you guys that hear it every day would learn to have fun with it: "Oh yeah, I know, he's gonna ban those and also, coincidentally these right here which we happen to have a lot of in stock."

CoRoMo
February 23, 2009, 05:57 PM
I start a new rumor every morning as a matter of course.;)

Bubba613
February 23, 2009, 06:38 PM
The next knucklehead who comes through the door asking about the $5/bullet tax is going to get tossed out. I'm sick of it. It doesn't help sell anything. It makes it harder to do business because people with legitimate needs can't get what they want. It distorts the market and makes us look like idiots.
And how many people on here were predicting a ban of some kind by the end of January?

R.W.Dale
February 23, 2009, 07:05 PM
LoL mabye someone needs to make a few "gun ban rumor free zone" signs that can be hung on the front door.

If you enjoyed reading about "A question for those employed in the firearms industry" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!