Knives of Alaska

PDA

gizamo
February 22, 2009, 04:41 PM
I'm posting pics of this rig in as found condition. The last time the knifes were out, they were used to cape out a Moose... I can remember years ago, lusting after a set of originals from the 1990's...but could never afford the price. But at todays Ancient Ones gunshow in Augusta, Maine ~ A fellow had a price of $70 dollars on this set...

I'll get around to cleaning and restoring the knives and redoing the leather...but for now, this is as-found condition... :)

Knives of Alaska, Brown Bear set...

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/Gizamo1/BrownBearCombo003.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/Gizamo1/BrownBearCombo004.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Knives of Alaska" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
James T Thomas
February 22, 2009, 05:00 PM
"Giz:"

The appearance is that they have been exposed to water, but have not been allowed to remain wet.

I would get some neatsfoot oil on that leather before handling it and inducing cracks.

There is a thread, elsewhere here on THR about powder marks on the face of a stainless revolver, and one of the posters called it "patina." Which is a term I have heard about antiques that have seen a lifetime and no attempt has been made to polish them.

So, I would leave that "patina" on the blades; though your tastes may vary from mine.

I'm interested to know how your effort to restore the blade edge on that D2 steel goes. That is, a few strokes with a steel, or major stone work? However, I believe KOA has a warranty of returning those knives to the factory for a free and full restoration of the edges, that if true, I would not pass up.

You have a good deal. They are just like the many good condition -used pistols mentioned here at THR. Some "patina" from use, but not abuse, and otherwise, perfectly functional.

bikerdoc
February 22, 2009, 05:29 PM
Your a lucky man, congrats you found a nice bargain!

rcmodel
February 22, 2009, 05:34 PM
Most excellent find!

My dentist had me re-point and sharpen his little caper like yours, only with a stag handle.

It was a heck of a good blade!

rc

T.A.DAVISON knife maker
February 22, 2009, 06:23 PM
Way to go gizamo, congrats on the new knives.

Make sure ya post an update with new leather? :)

Todd

hso
February 23, 2009, 01:05 AM
Neatsfoot for the leather.

Copper or brass wool/brush and oil for the metal.

If you enjoyed reading about "Knives of Alaska" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!