Please Don't Shoot Signs!

PDA

azhunter122
February 22, 2009, 04:29 PM
Here's a link to a great Youtube video that every shooter should watch and show to new shooters. All that shooting signs do is make us look bad and closes down shooting areas! Just a friendly reminder to everyone!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihVk3oAsOKg

Thanks for listening!

If you enjoyed reading about "Please Don't Shoot Signs!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dobrzemetal
February 22, 2009, 04:46 PM
That guy always makes me laugh with the words and expressions he uses, He always says "guess what?....Something something something" "hill o beans"

MotorOilMcCall
February 22, 2009, 04:49 PM

Highland Ranger
February 22, 2009, 04:55 PM
People are people. Good and bad in every possible category.

It is the way of things - video and post accomplish nothing.

Generalizations based on minority behavior contain the same intelligence across all groups.

jcwit
February 22, 2009, 05:14 PM
Watcged the video all the way through.

The guy had a message to try to get across which makes a lot of sense, and we get responses like the first two.

This is The High Road and spoiled brat mentailty gets you nowhere but showing the rest of us your immaturity no matter what your age.

jcwit
February 22, 2009, 05:39 PM
Right on JD

Mainsail
February 22, 2009, 05:54 PM
...and hold hands when crossing the street.

jcwit
February 22, 2009, 05:59 PM
Now that was an intellectual statement.

jerkface11
February 22, 2009, 06:11 PM
Not everyone is eloquent enough to say "right on".

jcwit
February 22, 2009, 06:24 PM
So we should post a video showing the benifits of shooting road signs, or any other activity one wishes to do legal or not?

Darn, gooolllyy geee whees, shuckkks, it didn't do any good, people kept shooting signs.

phish
February 22, 2009, 06:36 PM
I like nutnfancy.

azhunter122
February 22, 2009, 06:37 PM
Well I may not be perfect but I am a responsible gun owner and have never shot signs before. Quit acting dumb! This post is not intended for everyone who already understands, just for folks who shoot signs and are irresponsible and this is a polite reminder not to be irresponsible, signs included!

azhunter122
February 22, 2009, 06:38 PM
Yeah, nutnfancy is awsome!

Boba Fett
February 22, 2009, 06:40 PM
jcwit
The guy had a message to try to get across which makes a lot of sense, and we get responses like the first two.

This is The High Road and spoiled brat mentality gets you nowhere but showing the rest of us your immaturity no matter what your age.

Couldn't agree with you more jcwit.

MotorOilMcCall
But lets face it, the OP is trolling. The guy who posted the video is looking for attention (consciously or not), he knows his video isn't gonna do a dern thing.

How is the OP a troll? The OP's remarks are not "controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community."

If anything, your remarks MotorOilMcCall are rather trollish.

And if the nutnfancy wants to post videos on youtube that advocate firearms responsibility, how can that be bad? How is that attention grabbing?

cassandrasdaddy
February 22, 2009, 06:42 PM

proving his point and serving as poster children for a stereotypical view of gun owners yet again

rich636
February 22, 2009, 06:49 PM
Good vid. Regarding the litter.. I see this at the lakes where I fish, trash everywhere, it's hard to imagine grown men would leave their crap everywhere like that. I'm not sure if they don't plan on coming back to the spot or just don't mind wallowing in their own filth in what was once a beautiful area.

Jorg Nysgerrig
February 22, 2009, 06:58 PM
Thanks for posting the video. Sometimes we really are our own worst enemy.

If it makes one guy reconsider shooting signs or convinces him pick up his trash, it's worth it in my books. As someone who shoots on public lands quite a bit, I see this sort of thing far too often. Sadly, too many people don't understand the concept of the "tragedy of the commons" and think public land is theirs to do with as they please.

WardenWolf
February 22, 2009, 07:11 PM
Unfortunately, shooting signs is mostly a redneck thing. And rednecks don't watch Youtube videos or care what people think. Effectively, the cretins who do this crap aren't the people you're going to reach by posting a video on the Internet.

BCCL
February 22, 2009, 07:11 PM
The video presents a good message and calls attention to stupid behavior by slob shooters.

And the OP is definitely not a troll for providing us a chance to watch it.

shotgunjoel
February 22, 2009, 07:17 PM
Thank you Nutnfancy, thank you. I have just recently found his videos and am watching a lot of them, but hadn't gotten to that one yet.

fingerbanger
February 22, 2009, 07:32 PM
He's not a troll. He is annoyed with the idiots of world ruining it for the rest of us. He is well aware most people don't care and some are going to mock him for it, but he is not interested in the opinions of the a$$es of society. He is saying think twice. We know a bullet will punch a hole in an aluminum sign. Shoot your own crap, then take it home and throw it away. I agree with him. The man is trying to be part of the solution, and some of you mock him. In my book that makes you look small. This is one of the few times that after reading the first few responses, I thought to myself " I don't don't know if I want to be part of this group." I thought it was a better class of people here. I mean really how can you argue with being a responsible sportsman? Well now that I think about it ,if he is trolling for idiots, then I guess he's hooked a few.

amd6547
February 22, 2009, 07:36 PM
Several years ago, here in Cleveland, some moron decided to test his 30-30 by shooting at a stop sign in the central city. The bullets went through the sign like it wasn't even there, continued down the street some distance, and went through the wall of a church, killing and injuring paritioners.
Shooting at signs is not only stupid, but dangerous, and those who do it should be sent to the big house, and lose their right to own weapons.

KarenTOC
February 22, 2009, 07:38 PM
This post is not intended for everyone who already understands, just for folks who shoot signs and are irresponsible and this is a polite reminder not to be irresponsible, signs included!

People do stupid things because they think, at the time, that they're "harmless" or "fun" or just "letting off steam." If the OP's post alerts just one harmless, fun-loving, de-steaming sign shooter that his actions are frowned upon by his peers, the post will have been well worth the effort.

jcwit
February 22, 2009, 07:44 PM
Just a little off topic, but I've wondered for years what the joy is in smashing mail boxes. I've been tempted to buy a mail box and take it home and beat the crap out of it just to see what I've been missing for 65 years. Maybe someday I'll try it.

wyocarp
February 22, 2009, 07:44 PM
How else are we to practice shooting antelope from the truck if we can't use the road signs in a responsible manner?

Personally, I'd rather see signs shot up than bottles. But, we all have our little pets and hobby horses. I think he just likes to hear himself talk is my opinion.

Marlin 45 carbine
February 22, 2009, 08:02 PM
sign shooting generally is done in 'outback' places which gives the visitors 'culture shock' IMO.
don't do it and discourage any else from such activity we don't need bad press related to it.

Boba Fett
February 22, 2009, 08:18 PM
wyocarp
How else are we to practice shooting antelope from the truck if we can't use the road signs in a responsible manner?

Personally, I'd rather see signs shot up than bottles. But, we all have our little pets and hobby horses. I think he just likes to hear himself talk is my opinion.

:what: Are you freakin kidding me!?

Is that seriously your opinion or are you just being sarcastic??

You really want to see signs shot up? That really isn't very High Road of you to endorse irresponsible behavior. :cuss:

searcher451
February 22, 2009, 08:30 PM
It's hard to believe some of the posts in this thread, given the title of the forum we are posting in. Is there something in the water today? Is winter dragging on a little too long, perhaps?

In Oregon, a large electronic sign at a major junction of a key mountain pass crossing the Cascades is continually destroyed and rendered inoperative about half the year; the sign provides valiable information about pass conditions to all travelers heading east toward the summit. The folks at the Oregon Department of Transportation say that the sign is continually shot at by either drivers or passengers wielding handguns while their vehicles are actually moving ... lord knows these idiots wouldn't want to slow down and get caught. Repairing the sign takes time and costs thousands of dollars every time it's necessary ... and it's necessary a lot.

And we wonder why some people don't think highly of guns?

wankerjake
February 22, 2009, 09:25 PM
Have some respect for other people's property. You wanna shoot signs, go buy some and hang 'em up. It isn't any different than walking onto someone's yard and breaking their fence. If it is public property, taxes paid for those signs, you are screwing everybody. On top of that it gives shooters a bad name, so you are screwing us two ways.

The Deer Hunter
February 22, 2009, 09:56 PM
Man I see those all the time, and honestly it probably would be fun. Fortunately, I have enough restraint in me not to do things like that.

Nutnfancy has a real good point. Those signs are some of the only spokepersons out there, and they speak loud and clear.

2RCO
February 22, 2009, 10:02 PM
This is a great contrast to LOKI's (the pretend sniper's) video.

NUTNFANCY actually makes Gun owners look responsible.

pgeleven
February 22, 2009, 10:40 PM
its our state tax dollars replacing those signs, and right now those taxes could definetly be better used elsewhere. plus it does show incredibly poor sportsmanship by destroying/damaging things in an obviously illegal manner.

makes it a better case for the powers-that-be to want to take them away from us

misANTHrope
February 22, 2009, 11:23 PM

Why not? It was a horrible movie.

crazy-mp
February 22, 2009, 11:37 PM
All we have to do is pass a law and it will stop.... If we had a law to protect these beautiful signs this would not happen, sign poaching needs to be stopped at all cost, perhaps the state patrol/police can set up some decoy signs and catch these people in the act

:barf:

Sorry, see what watching the Communist News Network will do to you?

Boba Fett
February 22, 2009, 11:42 PM
misANTHrope
Why not? It was a horrible movie.

Why not!? :scrutiny:

If it is really so difficult for you to understand why not, then you are not the sort of person who should be a firearm owner. :fire:

Stay out of Texas, I like my signs to be sans bullet holes. And I like not having to worry that I'll catch a bullet from some fool who hasn't got enough sense to practice simple decency and firearms safety. :fire:

Boba Fett
February 22, 2009, 11:59 PM
When I first saw this thread, I figured it was going to be short lived. But the OP has reveled that certain THR members lack social decency and firearms safety. The video from nutnfancy is specifically for the likes of you who believe shooting signs is acceptable.

No more irresponsible "shooting the signs is alright" nonsense. This is The High Road. You want to excuse, endorse, or participate in irresponsible and dangerous behaviour, do so on a different forum.

shiftyer1
February 23, 2009, 12:24 AM
Just out of curiosity, on public land where shooting is ok would it be a foolish idea to put up some targets with a solid backstop here and there. just to prevent the------ok I brought my gun what should I shoot at? Kinda like the chaulk board in the bathroom in the bar. Would it save signs in those areas? And also add something else to the area.

WardenWolf
February 23, 2009, 12:29 AM
Just a little off topic, but I've wondered for years what the joy is in smashing mail boxes. I've been tempted to buy a mail box and take it home and beat the crap out of it just to see what I've been missing for 65 years. Maybe someday I'll try it.

I read about someone's solution to that: they bought 2 mailboxes, one larger, one smaller. The smaller one they took the door off of, put it inside the larger one, and filled the gap between them with wet cement. Once it dried, they didn't have any more problems with thugs smashing their mailbox.

I also read about a solution to people who just run down mailboxes with their junk cars. Not a nice solution, but a solution nonetheless: they put an iron rod sticking up diagonally from the mailbox foundation pouring. When the person runs it down, the act of tipping it over drives the rod up into their engine and ruins it. A retributive solution, to to speak, and one that doesn't get invoked unless the mailbox is toppled by a vehicle.

Doggy Daddy
February 23, 2009, 01:15 AM
Not a whole lot of difference between a sign shooter and a graffiti "artist."

misANTHrope
February 23, 2009, 01:25 AM
Why not!?

If it is really so difficult for you to understand why not, then you are not the sort of person who should be a firearm owner.

Stay out of Texas, I like my signs to be sans bullet holes. And I like not having to worry that I'll catch a bullet from some fool who hasn't got enough sense to practice simple decency and firearms safety.

Clearly, my joke sailed far, far above your head.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0286106/

Boba Fett
February 23, 2009, 02:07 AM
Clearly, my joke sailed far, far above your head.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0286106/

Ah, yes it most certainly did.

What with people saying the youtube "movie" the OP posted is no good and such, the connection to the movie Signs wasn't even on my radar.

My apologies to you sir, I'm glad you aren't in the unsafe/promoting destruction of public property crowd.

jcwit
February 23, 2009, 12:22 PM
Well king your opinion is obviously not mine. Did I expect to change the world, not hardly, improve it just a little bit, maybe.

Your bigger issues, ie: freedom may be hurt by the seemingly small things done by immature acting people such as shooting holes in signs. If you can not understand this you lack foresight, but thats not my problem.

So continue to only worry about the big picture while you are being undermined from below.

Scan the whole thread and see where we stand.

jcwit
February 23, 2009, 12:29 PM
BTW Calling or implying I'm politically correct is the bigest pile of BS I've heard in a long time.

Bill O'Reilly
Sean Hannity All for 2012
Glenn Beck

Boba Fett
February 23, 2009, 01:05 PM
King Ghidora
Let's talk about people taking away our freedom to protect ourselves to start.

I think it's stupid and dangerous to put holes in signs but I don't think it's going to be easy to stop unless someone high profile gets killed or something. That's just how it goes. I'll spend my time worrying about bigger issues.

Yes, let's talk about that. Let's talk about giving credibility to the people who want to take away our freedom to protect ourselves. You see, even though it is a "little thing" to shoot signs (actually it is big firearms safety and public property thing to me), when you start adding up a lot of "little things", the anti gun nuts start to gain credibility. You get enough "little things" and suddenly they compound into large issues and anti-gunners on TV showing signs shot to pieces as examples of why the average citizen shouldn't even be allowed to have hunting firearms since they can't behave themselves.

Do you really expect to change the world with an internet post?

Doing nothing certainly wont change the world. As many have said, if even one person reconsiders shooting up public property or exercise proper firearms safety from nutnfancy's video, then it has done plenty. If it shows just one liberal anti-gun nut that not all of us firearm owners are loons, then it has done plenty.

But bubbas are likely going to be bubbas no matter what you do. That's real life.

So real life is what it is and we shouldn't do anything to try to fix it? Complacency and acceptance of wrong doing because "that's real life" is your stance? That certainly won't accomplish anything.

Kind of Blued
February 23, 2009, 01:27 PM
Amen nutnfancy. That stuff really gets under my skin, and that's saying something.

Duke of Doubt
February 23, 2009, 04:27 PM
The mailbox thing is a local source of humor.

As year-round residents know, most damage to mailboxes actually gets inflicted by the snowplow trucks, but the summer people show up at their camp to find the mailbox demolished, and call the police to report vandalism. The local police shrug, take the report, and the summer person buys a new mailbox for his camp at the local general store, supporting the local economy. During the following winter, and of course in the summer person's absence, the new mailbox gets destroyed by the plow truck. Three times this happens. Finally the summer person goes to the Chief of Police of Fingerless Axeman Lake, Maine to complain in person. The Chief patiently listens to the long tale of woe, punctuated by complaints about the local property taxes and municipal expenses, and the lack of police efficiency in apprehending the criminals responsible for the serial vandalism, his suspicions of collusion by the general store shopkeeper, et cetera. Finally, the summer person runs out of steam, and asks what the Chief suggests a man in his position ought to do.

"Pray for Global Warming," says the Chief.

f4t9r
February 23, 2009, 04:34 PM
Do not shoot signs !!!! got it and understand it.
I now have a headache. Should have stop reading long ago but did not.
My bad !!!!

Seenterman
February 23, 2009, 05:08 PM
Yea at my local range, the only one in Yonkers that is outdoors some idiot, moron, dipstick actually shot the electrical wires that run over our range. ConED (power supplier) owns the land which the range is run and they rent it out to us, have been for years. Now our rent contract might be in danger because some moron wants to shoot someone "fun", which also cost lots of money to fix + man hours.

This wasn't an accident as the poles are 75 feet with the wires at the top.
To actually hit the wires you would have to shoot up at about a 45' angle (if shooting your target was a 0').

Now they've closed the 25 yard range and only the 30 yard range is open. Half of the range is gone because of ONE IDIOT!

That was the "fun" range too as it didnt have target holders just a berm, and you could bring anything (within reason no glass or metal) to shoot at. If you where the only one on that range you where allowed to practice different situations. IE Shotgun at 7 yards rapid fire, one target. Shotgun 7 yards rapid fire 3 targets, what have you and so on.

Now its gone! GOD I HATE STUPID!

Duke of Doubt
February 23, 2009, 05:12 PM
How do they know the wire parted as the result of bullet impact, particularly from the range?

Cannonball888
February 23, 2009, 05:45 PM
There is an element even among legal gunowners that I won't hang around, and evidentily feel they can add their idiocy to this thread and without shame. It's the same element that frequents public ranges and shoots up our signs and put holes in the roofs when no one is looking.

kentucky bucky
February 23, 2009, 06:59 PM
Why are some folks seemingly getting defensive about this video? Are there some closet "sign shooters" on the forum? The guy is right we are in a public relations fight when it comes to guns and public access. We shouldn't give the "antis" or "tree huggers" ammo against us by shooting up and trashing the outdoors. What's the problem with that?

MT GUNNY
February 23, 2009, 08:33 PM
Would it be Futile to purchase a sign to replace a Shot up one, in your Community? I would like to, But i think they are not Cheap!

Duke of Doubt
February 23, 2009, 08:39 PM
I've never shot a sign and I doubt I ever would, but I have to admit I chuckle when I see a "Restrictive Firearms Zone" sign riddled with holes.

MT GUNNY
February 23, 2009, 09:31 PM
One other thing Id like to Add. Is sometime you will see a Deer Crossing sign that has Holes in it. The Funny Part is, the holes are never on the Deer!!!

azhunter122
February 23, 2009, 10:21 PM
Wow, we should probably close this thread. I lost a lot of respect for some THR members. Oh well.

2RCO
February 23, 2009, 10:45 PM
Dollar-$800 loss is a good day for me lately. With the economy tanking who wants to waste ammo on a road sign seriously --Look at it that way.. shooting signs is dumb so is mailbox bashing. Box bashing happens often here in SWMO and it has nothing to do with Snowplows.

azhunter122
February 23, 2009, 10:49 PM
Thanks guys, guns just mean a lot to me and I really like them ALOT like most here so that's all. I'm the same way with the bills right now but not nearly as bad as most are.

Boba Fett
February 23, 2009, 11:18 PM
azhunter122
Thanks guys, guns just mean a lot to me and I really like them ALOT like most here so that's all.

Same here. In addition to having a passion for firearms, I also have a passion for safety and responsibility. I have come way too close to getting shot by idiots who were playing around at a local range (thankfully they were kicked out of the range). And firearms safety has been drilled into me since I was a kid, but even if it wasn't, I've been taught common sense and that just goes hand in hand with firearms (though there is a surprising lack of it out there :scrutiny: )

As for losing money, I'm right there with you. My portfolio is worth half of what it once was. I wasn't too worried since all the companies were sound and should be back as soon as the market rebounds someday. At least that's what I thought right up to the point that Nortel filed chapter 11 :barf:

Oh well. We'll all weather the storm and cling to our guns and religion.

azhunter122
February 23, 2009, 11:42 PM
Absolutely I will continue to cling to my guns, religeon, safety, and common sense. I'm glad to see that I'm not alone. The money chrisis will be over sooner or later.

If you enjoyed reading about "Please Don't Shoot Signs!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!