I took the blue off of this llama max I. What do you think?

PDA

shootistpd27
February 22, 2009, 05:55 PM
I was just goofing off with this gun because I got screwed into a trade for it and since I took the blue off of it, added the wood pistol grips. I like the heck out of the gun now. Just wanting to know what other 1911 enthusiast think. This is my first 1911 but I hope to upgrade when Obama gives us a piece of the stimulus.

If you enjoyed reading about "I took the blue off of this llama max I. What do you think?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
zombienerd
February 22, 2009, 07:21 PM
Very pretty.. But it's going to rust quick now.

Get some kind of finish on that thing, pronto :D

glove
February 22, 2009, 07:36 PM
Hello
Looks good, Now send it for chrome plating in your area before it starts to rust. If you like that look tell them you want the brushed chrome finish.
Dave Z

shootistpd27
February 22, 2009, 07:44 PM
I appreciate your concern but the gun was only worth about $350 in 2002 when it was new and Im sure it will cost close to that in order to reblue or nickelize it. I didnt care for the gun in the first place or I wouldnt have de-blued it. I polished the gun with a metal polish and I coated it with a layer of rem oil. I once had a 30-30 winchester that I did the same thing with and it never rusted. I plan on keeping this weapon on the nightstand only because I use a glock 22 or a lcp for cc. Hopefully if oiled it will not rust. Time will surely tell.

Jason_G
February 22, 2009, 07:58 PM
Well, good luck with it, but I'm with the others as for leaving it ITW.

Jason

shooter1
February 22, 2009, 08:17 PM
I can understand not wanting to pay more than the gun is worth to refinish it. If it actually functions, I might get a can of that "Do it Yourself" powder coating and color it blue or something.:)
str1

shootistpd27
February 22, 2009, 08:24 PM
A friend of mine told me that if you will coat the gun in vasaline and leave it on for a few days. When you wipe it off there will be a protective coating on the weapon that will keep it shiny and it wont rust. I dont see much difference in vasaline and a coat of rem oil.

BCCL
February 22, 2009, 09:55 PM
Your friend is wrong.

Vaseline is not a rust preventative.

I have seen some wonderful collector knives ruined by being stored smeared in Vaseline.

Blue on a gun is actually a controlled rust that helps prevent other active rust. By removing it, you've left the metal in the white and unless you keep is meticulously clean and fingerprint free, as it is now, your gonna have rust like crazy.

shootistpd27
February 22, 2009, 10:05 PM
Thank you for your input.

2RCO
February 22, 2009, 10:12 PM
The vaseline won't work. You might try a clearcoat but I don't see it holding up.

crushbup
February 22, 2009, 10:21 PM
If you want reasonably cheap: find a friend with a bead-blast cabinet, do a quick aluminum oxide blast to frost the surface, degrease it, us a home parkerizing kit, then get some moly-resin on there.

Otherwise, if you want it to be really pretty, you can get it black nickeled.

jimsmith
February 22, 2009, 10:27 PM
You've completed the hard part in taking the finish off the gun. You could re-blue it yourself if you read up on it first and take the time to do it right. Even if you mess it up, you already taken the finish off once, so the second time will be even easier. IMO, even a bad backyard blue job is better than the rust you will have if you put it away with a few fingerprints on it.

shootistpd27
February 22, 2009, 10:31 PM
As good as it looks to me now I just assume not touch it. I might go to one of these rallys where they are giving away gift cards for guns and get some money back on the gun. Its a long story of how I got screwed by the gun so im not wasting anymore money on it.

J.R.W.
February 22, 2009, 10:53 PM
^^^That's right. Fuel for the anti's. All the guns they get at those things help build statistics. I'll gladly give you whatever they'd give you a gift card for to keep that from happening.

22lr
February 22, 2009, 11:09 PM
Ill second that ill pay what ever they would just don't give in.

shootistpd27
February 22, 2009, 11:19 PM
That was simply a joke in allusion to the fact that the gun is not worth anything. I knew a guy named jeff who was riding around with a buddy of mine who is also a cop. This guy jeff claimed to be from tennessee and a retired police officer. I thought this was kind of wierd considering he was riding around for free in a patrol car after being retired. Ive been on the job for five years and I cant stand being in a patrol car, much less after 25 years. Jeff told me that he had a this llama for sale and I had a new taurus SA long colt that I had just bought. I asked about the llama and he said it was a good gun, still under warranty and only had about 200 rnd through it. I had never owned a 1911 and he was supposed to be a retired cop so I took his word for it and he told me that he gave the same for the llama as I did for the lc which was $425. After the trade I found that the PLASTIC plunger tube was broken and that llama went out of business in 2003. The guy was a total fake. It turns out that he was arrested in tn for impersonating a dea agent and theft over 1000. He was telling folks that since he was a federal agent that he could get convicts sentences reduced for the low price of $1700 and when they couldnt come up with that he would pay the rest himself if the family only gave $500. I really hate this gun. I will never, sell, or trade another gun as long as I live. DISCOMFORT TO ALL ANTIS.

shaggy430
February 23, 2009, 09:22 PM
First off, how did this guy end up riding in the patrol car? Second off, how did you not know that Llamas are POS? They are named after a furry camel looking thing.

swagner89
February 24, 2009, 01:41 AM
this guy shootistpd27 is either a brady bunch troller or a 10 year old kid. check out his other post:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=430486

bfox
February 24, 2009, 01:49 AM
When Obama come through for you let me know what you want for the LLama .

And What is wrong with his other post ?

Play Nice , Bill

MachIVshooter
February 24, 2009, 02:14 AM
Look at that thing wrong and it'll rust. You have lots of work to do.

You've completed the hard part in taking the finish off the gun.

Hahaha. It took me less than an hour to remove the parkerizing from my Baby Eagle. It took another 17 hours to make it look like this:

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/Eagles.jpg

However, putting a mirror finish on carbon steel makes it pretty resistant to corrosion. I simply take care to wipe it with a rag wetted with oil before starage, and have had no rust problems.

shootistpd27
February 24, 2009, 02:21 AM
How the guy got into a patrol car was he was a friend of a friend of mine. As long as the deputy is cool with you, anyone can ride along. My buddy is an idiot and didnt check the guys creds and just believed him being a retired cop. I have asked this question myself many times. The guy even had a certified drug and tracking dog. Appearently if you have enough money you can get a dog like that with no law enforcement experience. If you go to ask.com and put in dresden enterprise along with the name jeff collins you will find a news paper article about this guy getting caught swindling people. I have had about enough of you swagner. Do you have a crush on me, it seems that way since you remember all of my threads and have been checking up on me. I am a die hard republican with strong convictions against abortion and gay marriage. However I would in your case be for abortion, but still against the gay stuff.

shootistpd27
February 24, 2009, 02:32 AM
NICE!

If you enjoyed reading about "I took the blue off of this llama max I. What do you think?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!