US M9 bayonet and scabbard. Calling Rambo!

PDA

Cannonball888
February 23, 2009, 03:02 PM
My Phrobis M9 bayonet just arrived today to be an addition to my bayonet collection. Man, no wonder I heard that some of our troops are ditching these boat anchors for the lighter M7s. Does it really make sense that we are progressing toward lighter rifles but heavier bayonets?

If you enjoyed reading about "US M9 bayonet and scabbard. Calling Rambo!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
February 23, 2009, 03:55 PM
NO!

I think we would have been much better off to give everyone another 30-round mag of ammo, a KA-BAR, and a Gerber Multi-Tool!

It would add about the same weight!
And they would have been much better armed.

I think some Pork-Barrel spending must have went into those M-9's.

rc

bikerdoc
February 23, 2009, 06:21 PM
Rc echos my thoughts exactly.
Nobody asked the guy on the ground what they thought

Duke of Doubt
February 23, 2009, 06:29 PM
The Turks made fun of the M9 during the 1991 Kuwait Live Fire Exercise.

I prefer the M7, but I have an M9 for my A2-patterned DPMS as more period- appropriate.

sixgunner455
February 23, 2009, 08:20 PM
I carried an M7 that I bought myself. We left the M9 bayonets in the armory. Worthless boat anchors -- not a good knife, not a good bayonet. I prefer the M7. It was what we trained with in Basic with our A2 rifles, so have no hangups about the one in my collection now. Whenever I get an A2 someday (my AR is a carbine), I will put the old M7 with it confidently. It works.

Sig 226 .40
February 26, 2009, 09:02 PM
My company commander at Schofield Barracks had me get a belt sander, fabricate a jig and sharpen 125 M9 bayonets....after a couple of passes to get it right...I was in business. He had me do this because the new Div. Commander didn't like seeing Ka-Bars and similar size blades on our LBE's. He thought they looked to "intimidating" for the media to see. And YES...Billary Clinton was in office. So our CO made sure that our bayonets were actually functional. My hands still hurt from that weekend!!!

messerist
February 27, 2009, 09:04 PM
I had an insane 1SG like that only he insisted we use the issue stone that came in our Armorer's tool kit. It was. as you might expect totally inadequate for the job. I ended up using some of my whetstones to sharpen our M9s. I wish we would have had such a CO as your's Sig 226.40

Sig 226 .40
February 27, 2009, 09:14 PM
I think I tossed most of the stones from my "red box" into a desk drawer for inspections/accountability only. I replaced most with diamond rods and stones from woodworkers warehouse. They worked far better. I even did my own sharpening business on the side. I think I averaged about $125 extra every week and a half doing that. The founder of the company "Tactical Tailor" was in my battalion at the time. I used to have him fabricate concealable sheaths for our real knives from time to time. I still have a couple. Unfortunately he is now deceased. RIP my Golden Dragon Brother.

KevinAbbeyTech
February 28, 2009, 03:27 AM
IMHO, bayonets throw the balance on most rifles.

JShirley
February 28, 2009, 12:35 PM
When I was at Fort Lewis, we left our bayonets in the Armory unless required to take them on field missions.

When I was in Afghanistan, I didn't see anyone carry them...except for one over-eager officer, IIRC. If you have the money, and want a practically perfect blade for a deploying troop, get a Combat Shark (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=394284&highlight=shark) from Valkman. I suggest Gun Kote and brown or green micarta scales. Accompany this with a decent multitool and a small stone for blade touchups. I have one, and while I haven't had the time to give it the full workout it needs yet, the size and form are perfect for this mission, tough, big enough, but not too big.

Here (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v420/Jinete_delViento/shirleyspecial4.jpg?t=1235843569)is the fixed blade I carried much of the time in Afghanistan. It has some aspects (slightly long, less optimal sheath, forward balance, no lanyard hole) that would not be ideal for the average troop. These issues are rectified on Valkman's knife.

If you don't have the money for the best, a good choice should also be the Gerber ASEK (http://www.gerber-tools.com/Gerber-LMF-II-ASEK-22-01627.htm) or a decent choice would be the Gerber Prodigy (http://www.lapolicegear.com/geprcocokn.html). (And by decent, I do mean a much better choice for a deployed troop than 90% or more of knives sold as "combat knives".)

Edited to add: steve's experience will be true for MOST troops. I actually used my FB to pry frozen 38-lb 120mm rounds out of "tootsie rolls" for fire missions. It is true that I carried a good folder EVERY day, even when I didn't carry a fixed blade. A Spyderco Native or Delica is a good choice, or a WAVEd Endura or Delica with a "Speed Dialer" from On/Scene Tactica (http://www.mnsi.net/~nbtnoel/speeddialers.htm)l. This gives a good folder to carry in your pocket when not geared up, or a small, instant-access blade when wearing IBA.

John

steveracer
February 28, 2009, 12:51 PM
I used a folder more than any other knife I own. During three deployments to Iraq, Afghanistan, and Kosovo. I had a plain edge spyderco military and a Case Peanut. I used these two knives for something or other every single day. Never, once, not ever, did I miss my bayonet, or even desire to have a big fixed-blade. Carry more ammo.
Steve

If you enjoyed reading about "US M9 bayonet and scabbard. Calling Rambo!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!