P38h ??

PDA

CHARRETTE7
February 23, 2009, 09:44 PM
I have just test fired a old [as they all are] p38h. This took alot of work to make it right. It's 32 acp. But it has civi. Proofs?? I did not know there were any civ.mods. Anyone know more?? About them?? Thank you.

If you enjoyed reading about "P38h ??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Duke of Doubt
February 23, 2009, 10:00 PM
I'd need photos or at least a precise description of the proofs to tell you anything about them or the piece.

SDC
February 24, 2009, 05:17 AM
They started production in 1938, so I'm sure there was just enough production for a number of commercial sales.

CHARRETTE7
February 24, 2009, 07:51 AM
The left side of the slide is marked cal. 7.65. The right side of the frame has the ser# 452xxx below that is the german eagle. Below the eagle is the letter "n" this gun has some parts that seem to be made of zinc.
Sorry i do not have any pixs. Thanks.

Duke of Doubt
February 24, 2009, 09:21 AM
Many went to police agencies. Can you describe any of the "civilian proofs"?

http://living-creatures.blogspot.com/2008/02/jp-sauer-sohn-765.html

Ron James
February 26, 2009, 08:46 PM
What type gun are we calling a P-38H?? Revisited, you are referring to the Sauer 38H. When the Americans arrived in Suhl in 1945, all the guns left in the factory went into the pockets of the conquering heroes. No one knows just how many there were. None of these had military acceptence marks and all were poorly made.

Robert L Johnson
February 26, 2009, 09:25 PM
Commercial HP were Eagle N proofed starting in April 1940.
The 9mm was the only cartridge used except for a couple of .45cal and I
say only a few.It seems that you have a pieced together model pp with a
aluminum alloy frame.A lot of these were made in the 50's with AC and
other letter codes. (not walther code)

Bob

Jim K
February 26, 2009, 10:37 PM
It cerrtainly could be a Sauer Model 38h (the H stands for Hahn or hammer - previous Sauer models used a striker).

Those are pretty good guns, and they were used by the German military in WWII, notably the Luftwaffe for crew bail-out armament. There was some civilian sale to authorized purchasers and also sales to police and military officers.

.32 ACP (7.65 Browning) caliber is most common; .380 ACP (9mm Kurz) and .22 LR are rare. Of the pocket pistol calibers, only 7.65 was in the German WWII military supply system.

Jim

If you enjoyed reading about "P38h ??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!