Gun snobbery...

PDA

jimmyjamonit
February 24, 2009, 11:38 AM
I do my best to support my local gun shop, but it's getting tougher every visit. I repeatedly give them my business yet I am treated like **** everytime I set foot in the place. I've noticed lots of dealers both at stores and gun shows who seem to have this "attitude" problem. It really pisses me off, especially when considering that I am always courteous and polite. Has anyone else experienced this?

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun snobbery..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
twoclones
February 24, 2009, 11:42 AM
Nope. Quite the opposite here.

GEM
February 24, 2009, 11:46 AM
Two big stores here - one snob, one nice and friendly. Easy choice.

50caliber123
February 24, 2009, 11:47 AM
In SE Michigan, most gun dealers are trying to sell or in some cases, buy up privately owned guns from people because they can't get anthing. If you're looking for any gun with a 20" barrel or shorter thats used, good luck finding one right now. I haven't seen a shotgun with a barrel under 28" in a while now either.

That being said, most dealers are polite, trying to talk people into "that one" because of the high deman in the market right now.

jimmyraythomason
February 24, 2009, 11:52 AM
I have experienced both good and bad treatment by dealers. Mostly good but a few have been not -so--good. I no longer deal with one shop for that reason even though he has a great inventory including mil-surps.

jimmyjamonit
February 24, 2009, 12:37 PM
Maybe I shouldnt go in wearing Boss jeans and a G-Unit hoodie. Next time I'll take out my gold grill before i ask to "see that gat dawg".

Sixtigers
February 24, 2009, 12:38 PM
Yep. I used to buy at the premier local store, but even though I've been doing business there for 10 years--and folks, we're talking well over $10K--the owner just won't warm up. Don't know why, not my problem.

Customer service is getting to be a problem with pretty much all services...anyone else notice?

No problem. I now do business with a smaller, but much friendlier guy.

fingerbanger
February 24, 2009, 01:00 PM
I thought it was just me. I find the same thing around here. The place is really beautiful but the owner is rather stand-off-ish. Hey his shop he can do what he wants. But then there are the hangers-on. People who hang around eyeing my every move, waching me look at this or that. Makes me feel uncomfortable and pressured to buy just because I handled it. Last time I used it as a learning experience. Do my customers feel that way or do they feel welcome and at ease? I hope they do. Different industry but the same sales principles apply.

Travis Bickle
February 24, 2009, 01:04 PM
I do my best to support my local gun shop, but it's getting tougher every visit. I repeatedly give them my business yet I am treated like **** everytime I set foot in the place. I've noticed lots of dealers both at stores and gun shows who seem to have this "attitude" problem. It really pisses me off, especially when considering that I am always courteous and polite. Has anyone else experienced this?

Yes. However, it's almost understandable when you consider some of the jackasses that gun shop workers have to put up with on a daily basis.

doc540
February 24, 2009, 01:09 PM
Combine "I have strong opinions" with "I think I'm an expert" and you get a cross between Dirty Harry and John Podesta.

It's not unusual in the world of firearms.

jimmyraythomason
February 24, 2009, 01:10 PM
That is no excuse. If you want MY business, you WILL treat me with respect. I don't care how many jackasses a dealer has to content with. I am not one of them. If you want my money act like you are glad to see me(even if you aren't).

Travis Bickle
February 24, 2009, 01:12 PM
That is no excuse.

Yes, I know. That's why I said it's almost understandable.

orionhawk
February 24, 2009, 01:13 PM
I had the same problem. Gun shop/smith 2 miles from home. Ended up in a 30-second cursing match with the owner. I went back a couple hours later, after I calmed down, to apologize (and see if he would - he didn't). Haven't been back in the year and a half since. Spent about $5k in that time, but had to drive 40 miles (1-way) to do it. I'm debating stopping by before I move to point that out to him. (politely)

HGUNHNTR
February 24, 2009, 01:19 PM
I don't go in for polite converstation, or an ego boost. I am there to purchase a firearm. If they have what I want at the price I am willing to pay I buy it. I could care less about the guy behind the counter, and I'm sure he feels the same way .....and that relationship works for me.

Hungry Seagull
February 24, 2009, 01:26 PM
I go to get something. Kind of hard to avoid hellos and greetings and run into folks who... are interesting. But Im there to get something and go.

So far so good.

orionhawk
February 24, 2009, 01:30 PM
I had taken in a malfunctioning Kel-Tec PF9. (I had "tinkered" with it). The action would not cycle. They said they could fix it. The action now cycled, but the takedown pin would FALL OUT if the gun was tilted to the left while the slide was back, and the slide stop no longer stopped the slide. The actual argument started when I pointed this out to the "gentleman" behind the counter. He started the profanity, not me.

BBQLS1
February 24, 2009, 01:30 PM
I don't deal with the bad shops. I have had very good luck with a few in my area.

Duke of Doubt
February 24, 2009, 01:37 PM
jimmyraythomason: "If you want MY business, you WILL treat me with respect. I don't care how many jackasses a dealer has to content with. I am not one of them. If you want my money act like you are glad to see me(even if you aren't)."

I wouldn't want your business.

Cannonball888
February 24, 2009, 01:39 PM
Reminds me of some of the codgers at the gunshows who just want to belittle or yell at people all day, then they get frustrated that no one will buy anything from them. They are their own worst enemies.

CoRoMo
February 24, 2009, 01:44 PM
I repeatedly give them my business yet I am treated like **** everytime

If we refuse to learn from history, we are doomed to repeat it.

I've got several of these type shops in my area, and I plan to visit one of them in the next few hours. I'm not going to be extra polite as they act like a bunch of jerks, but I'm not going to get down on their level either. I'll only buy from them if they have something that I can't find anywhere else for a comparable price. Their selection is exactly that. They have stuff that nobody else even comes close to stocking, therefore they have the luxury of conducting themselves like complete @**h*l*s.

You pay for what you get.

dobrzemetal
February 24, 2009, 01:49 PM
don't feel bad man, I too have felt the cold shoulder of the gun-shop trolls. However, that all changed one day when the guy got into an argument with me over ammo, needless to say I schooled him up with some math and it shut him up, they were courteous afterwards. Chances are YOU know more than they do, they just act elitist because they work in the gun store.

jimmyraythomason
February 24, 2009, 01:51 PM
Duke of Doubt,considering your line of business I am VERY glad. I hope I NEVER have need of your services.

austin360
February 24, 2009, 01:51 PM
"Reminds me of some of the codgers at the gunshows who just want to belittle or yell at people all day, then they get frustrated that no one will buy anything from them. They are their own worst enemies."

Bingo. Those guys drive me nuts!

Norinco982lover
February 24, 2009, 01:56 PM
I drive 35 minutes one way to get good service at a small gunshop. There are closer gunshops but none as friendly as this one. I occasionally buy a little ammo but besides that I have only used them for xfers (they don't stock much). My next gun purchase will most likely be straight from them...their prices are affordable and they deserve my business.

~Norinco

Duke of Doubt
February 24, 2009, 01:59 PM
jimmyraythomason: "Duke of Doubt,considering your line of business I am VERY glad. I hope I NEVER have need of your services."

Heh. Fair enough. I'll admit some of my attitude and demeanor comes from dealing on regular professional basis with dimwitted people having bad attitudes and an entitlement mentality, yet demanding great respect. Probably you aren't one of those sort. I'll also admit my attitude and demeanor probably would be different if I was an art dealer to generous patrons.

KBintheSLC
February 24, 2009, 02:00 PM
There are a few really lousy gun shops in SLC, and there are a few really good ones. To me its simple, I just don't go to the lousy ones.
If I can't find what I need at the good ones, I order it online. I don't care how desperate I am, I won't ever set foot in 1 or 2 particular shops anymore.

jackstinson
February 24, 2009, 02:04 PM
Both of my favorite local gun stores know that I enjoy a clean old Jennings/Davis/Raven?Sundance/etc SNS pistol, most any brand of pocket pistol, a clean milsurp pistol, or a .22-anything (long gun or hand gun). They treat me very well. Never once had a snide comment or rudeness....just friendly talk and good service. The one shop has even set me up twice with a parking lot face-to-face deal with another customer. Good people!
If I have any complaint....it would be; they know me so well that they always have something there I just have to buy!
Heck, I've even been treated well at both of the local Gander Mountains! Now "Dick's" is another story. :eek:
Jack

jimmyraythomason
February 24, 2009, 02:08 PM
I don't feel "entitled" to respect but give me a chance to prove that I don't deserve it before denying it.

franconialocal
February 24, 2009, 02:13 PM
My favorite local shop is awesome (The Village Gun Store, Whitefield NH)....and overall I enjoy the Kittery Trading Post in Kittery ME as well for a bigger shop BUT...

During my last visit I went with two friends of mine. One is very clean cut, orderly, wears glasses (stereotype intellectual looking), is very slight and pleasant. The other is burly, tough, rough looking, crass, rude, and obnoxious.

As soon as we got to the firearm section (this place is huge) I INSTANTLY felt the "eyes" all over us. Guys from the next dept. over even came and "hung around" the firearm section. Ok....all well and good from a safety/security standpoint and I can certainly understand, but then it got downright OVERBEARING....being followed (NOT just my perception). My clean cut friend went one way....no problem, not followed, no questions asked. My other friend and I milled around the used handguns for a while and were asked NO LESS than five times "Can I help you".....even by the SAME GUY THREE TIMES!!! Each time my reply was "no thanks, I'm just looking".

I'm a pretty patient guy, so it takes alot for me to get "pushed" to that point, but I finally asked to speak to a manager. I had enough.

Oddly enough the manager admitted to me that we were "red flagged" as soon as we walked in because we were "suspicious looking", SPECIFICALLY mentioning my friend because he "looked like trouble". I was then given a $50.00 gift card for my trouble. I told the manager that, fifty bucks or not, they should be less overbearing, more "secretive" about the security there if they really wanted to strike a balance. I had intended to walk out with a brand new Kimber that day, but they lost my business on that one, at least for now........

Duke of Doubt
February 24, 2009, 02:15 PM
WHOA! I'm going to bring some of my one-percenter pals down to the Kittery Trading Post! Fifty bucks each?!

DC300a
February 24, 2009, 02:26 PM
^^^

Haha! Hope they have plenty of Bike Racks! :neener:

dobrzemetal
February 24, 2009, 02:28 PM
hey DC where do you shoot at?

MagnumDweeb
February 24, 2009, 02:32 PM
I'm likely starting work part-time at a gunshop as the NRA Instructor for the shop and I can say I don't understand while any professional be it in guns, grass, or cars would be a person with an attitude problem. Oh I have seen it plenty and have caught criticism from guys I know(and have done in person) I can out-shoot one-handed, "you don't need that .45 you only got seven rounds, get a real gun like this NINE here and you'll have fifteen" types.

When you work in a shop, to me you, you represent the gun owning community and like it or not you are a PR person for how the rest of the world sees you. I'm all about being big on smiles, pleasant tone, helpfulness, and accepting differing reasonable opinions "oh sure I can understand how you like a Glock better than a 1911, and that's probably quite valid for you. It's just a lot of folks grew up with 1911s, it's a proven platform around the world, and it's real hard to wrong with one. With a Glock you get proven durability, generally higher capcity, and a gun that most anyone can operate so it can be a great choice for lots of people."

Pleasant atmospheres attract more customers, loyal and repeat customers to boot. At worst you want to talk folks out of getting .22lrs as their first and only SD or HD gun when their budget allows for more. Explain to them they'll get greater value of use and resale from a S&W Sigma then from a Hi-Point. But still be ready to accept that some folks are bent on getting what they want and that's it, 'you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.'

wrs840
February 24, 2009, 02:36 PM
...The other is burly, tough, rough looking, crass, rude, and obnoxious.

As soon as we got to the firearm section (this place is huge) I INSTANTLY felt the "eyes" all over us...

Sounds like reasonable and prudent profiling to me.

If your friend presents as a hoodlum, some people will understandably take it at face value. This should be no surprise and therefore shouldn't be taken with offense. ..."burly, tough, rough looking, crass, rude, and obnoxious" is a useful persona in some circumstances, I suppose, but usually not advantageous when hoping for a red carpet reception in a legitimate retail establishment... unless you really are a recognizable pop-culture icon, then that uniform may work with some folks.

Les

Hikingman
February 24, 2009, 02:38 PM
Good points made, and around here (multiple stores) it used to be about paying retail, and now with all the demand...hmmmm.

Carlos Cabeza
February 24, 2009, 03:21 PM
I wouldn't hold much weight to just one or two experiences with rude gunstore employees. I have had the guy that would show me everything in the store with a smile and intelligent conversation. I have also had the guy who acted like I was beneath his level of expertise and would act annoyed that I asked to see anything.

Don't worry about it too much. There are both types every where you go.

Jim K
February 24, 2009, 03:34 PM
One shop I know of is run by a "sportsman" type who wants to stock and sell only engraved, gold-inlaid shotguns and rifles. (The kind Obama will graciously allow us to keep.)

The dealer scorns anyone who does not dress in Harris tweed and speak with a plummy accent.

Needless to say, this low class type does not patronize that store.

Jim

GooMan
February 24, 2009, 03:36 PM
There is a store in Montgomery, AL that I hate to step foot in. His location is convenient for me and he has the cheapest prices for transfers so I do use him for that. He acts like it is an inconvenience to him for you to be in his store and it just pisses me off.:banghead:

I deal with The Gun Shoppe across town. His location is out of my way and he can be a little on the high side but I can call him up and tell him what I want and its there in a day or two (most of the time).

Nice guy with a nice store that will do anything he can to help you vs an *********. Not much of a choice there.
:D

LTR shooter
February 24, 2009, 05:16 PM
I've noticed lots of dealers both at stores and gun shows who seem to have this "attitude" problem. It really pisses me off, especially when considering that I am always courteous and polite.

I have noticed in today's society being rude and inconsiderate is becoming rather common. I think some actually aspire to achieve as such.

The simple solution is to go elsewhere ,that is what I do. Been in a few shops run by those like you mention , never been back - EVER! There are places out there that want your business and believe in the old school ideology of treating others as you would like to be treated. Those are the places that get my business.

sig220mw
February 24, 2009, 06:57 PM
I often have the same problem. Not usually at gun shops though. I've walked into many places of business the clerk would wait on the person that came in behind me and flat out ignore me. It has happened also at a few gun shops over the years but not lately. The gun shops I frequent seem to be manned or populated by like minded people who want to BS non stop.

welldoya
February 24, 2009, 06:58 PM
I've got one gunshop that's less than 3 miles from where I work. Another is 8 miles from work. So how far did I drive to buy my last 3 handguns ? 30 miles. Because I like the way I'm treated in that shop.

Phydeaux642
February 24, 2009, 07:50 PM
One shop I know of is run by a "sportsman" type who wants to stock and sell only engraved, gold-inlaid shotguns and rifles. (The kind Obama will graciously allow us to keep.)

The dealer scorns anyone who does not dress in Harris tweed and speak with a plummy accent.

Needless to say, this low class type does not patronize that store.

Wouldn't happen to be in Missouri would it?

I used to go in a shop that is owned and run by ex-LEO/LEO. When I would go in it was almost as if they were trying to see how long they could ignore me because I wasn't part of the "brotherhood". I usually wanted to look at the wheelguns (they didn't have many) and that brought even more scorn. I have spent about $12,000 in the last two years and, needless to say, they didn't get a dime of it. Too bad for them.

Ron-Bon
February 24, 2009, 08:54 PM
At every gun shop I've been to, the associates always are nasty to minorities and even some white guys who look a certain way. I thought it was just me at first, but now I'm convinced.

polekitty
February 24, 2009, 09:00 PM
I trade most with one store and a little bit with another, both extremely friendly and coureous. I went in and out of the first for several years before buying anything, and they treated me like a big spender every time. Their prices are a bit higher than some others, but they treat me so well I still go thee. The other is really friendly, and I do try hard to find something there I either need or want just so I can spend a bit there also.

polekitty
February 24, 2009, 09:02 PM
I trade most with one store and a little bit with another, both extremely friendly and coureous. I went in and out of the first for several years before buying anything, and they treated me like a big spender every time. Their prices are a bit higher than some others, but they treat me so well I still go thee. The other is really friendly, and I do try hard to find something there I either need or want just so I can spend a bit there also. If I had more moola I would likely spend a lot more in both stores.

polekitty
February 24, 2009, 09:06 PM
Drat! I pushed the wrong button, and doublre posted! I'm still learning how to do this. Sorry about that!!

22-rimfire
February 24, 2009, 09:10 PM
A little comedy to brighten up my Monday evening.

There is one shop locally that has not treated me very well in the past. The owner treats me just fine; it is the clingons that look down their glasses at you. :) Of late, they treat me much better. I even decided to buy a gun from them. Honestly speaking, I think it is just a good day/bad day kind of thing and if they get to know you alittle, things will probably change.

Of course, I have not observed your behavior at these shops either. Jimmy, I do think you are entitled to my respect at least in a passive sense until you do something to make me think otherwise.

I have found that the average customer doesn't know beans about fireams.

kyle1974
February 24, 2009, 09:21 PM
I've dealt with it...

I went into the local gun shop looking for a specific scope for a varmit rifle I was building up. When I asked the guy if they had it, he proceded to ask me why in the hell would anyone want a varmit rifle with a scope like that... it was just stupid to pay that much money for a zeiss, I didn't need 6.5-20 power scope, that 22-250 I have is overkill for what I wanted to do...

I told him a simple "no" would have done.

haven't been back there since

searcher451
February 24, 2009, 09:26 PM
People who treat others poorly, especially in a business situation, don't deserve the support -- or the business -- of others.

It's quite simple, really: If your local gun shop treats you poorly, find another shop that does not. Better yet, tell the local shop that you believe you are being treated poorly and that if they wish to continue receiveing your support, they'd better improve their customer service and their attitude. Even if they don't, or even if they can't, you at least will give them a heads-up about the reason why you are heading for greener pastures. That way, they can't say that they weren't warned; their eventual downfall will be wholly on themselves.

mordechaianiliewicz
February 24, 2009, 09:28 PM
It depends on the store. There is a place where I live that I've been going to since I was 17. They treat me well, even though they've had me come in there many times just to windowshop and bs with the old guy that runs the range. (it's two different businesses under one roof).

It doesn't hurt that I've spent around $5000 there since I was 18, and referred I don't know how many customers. I also have sold guns to folks there before (not employee) just they had questions, and I answered them, and then merchandise moved.

I've also been to a few shops where the owners were @#*holes. Granted, none got my business.

The difference?

Most of the folks who are anti-social to their potential clientele are gun folks that opened up a shop. Whereas the people who are nice are businessmen who happen to be gun people.

There is a difference.

The owner of the store I've been going to for years I know very little about his shooting habits, desires, or opinions, personally. He stocks what his customers want.

The other folks, it's pretty clear they could care less about what their customers want.

ScotZ
February 24, 2009, 09:34 PM
I gave up on friendly service from brick and morter gun stores long ago. The cliche of the old grumpy guy became reality. I couldnt care less why they choose to be downright unsociable. I have heard every excuse in the book. The fact is I am polite,I deal in cash and wont even try to buy local anymore. They have proved they have no time for me and my occasional shotgun,handgun,rifle purchase. I have one guy that does all my FFL stuff but he doesnt have a "shop". Grumps of the world unite because your world is getting smaller and smaller.

pmeisel
February 24, 2009, 09:37 PM
There are friendly, nice people, and grouchy, hard to like people in every line of work.

Usually the nice people get more business. But not always -- sometimes they are incompetent. And sometimes the grouchy person is so good people are willing to put up with him.

I think I am off to the art dealer forum to see if they have anyone like the Duke there.

John-Melb
February 24, 2009, 09:39 PM
Many years ago I was browsing at a certain gun store near where I lived, during my visit I asked the dealer a question, he rather gruffly replied "If you want information, go to the public library".

A couple of days later I visited the store again and purchased a box of .22 cartridges, the dealer noticed at the time there was quite a bit of maney in my wallet.

As I went to walk out I noticed an old Mauser on the rack and asked to look at it, telling the dealer I liked it, I laid it on the counter, and then asked to look at something else.

By the time I was finished, he had dollar signs in his eyes and there was a pile of stuff about a foot high on his counter.

I then reminded him of his public library coment and said that I don't buy from rude people, and left the store.

Over twenty years later, I still see that bloke at gunshows, he now greets me every time, he and the Governor at work are the only people I know who call me "Mister".

MikeKeyW
February 24, 2009, 09:51 PM
When I was in the biz I treated everyone with the same courtesy I would expect if roles were reversed. I just don't get the elitist attitude some have, but it's found in just about every business. I vote with my feet, they can take me out the same way I came in and without my wallet having left my pocket.
Kel Tec or Korth, Savage or Krieghoff, we all started somewhere and a fellow gun enthusiast is something to treasure, not treat with disdain. I like walking into a gun store, not a boutique, I want to smell Hoppes #9 and leather, coffee and a touch of smokeless powder too along with the rhythmic cycling of a progressive spitting out round after round. A Norinco SKS sitting next to a Colt Sauer Drilling, Ravens and Pythons, new and used, Mil Surplus...
Ah, the good old days. Anything like that in Miami anymore?

coosbaycreep
February 24, 2009, 11:26 PM
I have yet to go to a gun shop anywhere at anytime where I felt like the employees actually WANTED my business. Most of the time, they follow me around or watch me like a hawk as if I'm going to try and steal one of their overpriced sporterized Mosin Nagants or beat up winchester 94s.

I'll admit, I pretty much look like a homeless drug addict, and if I were them, I'd watch someone who looks as impoverished as I do more closely than less impoverished customers too, but at least two of the shops I go to know me well enough to know that I'm not some thief. In fact, one of the shops I go to, I bought 5 or 6 guns from in about a month and a half, and I'm easily recognizeable. Still, they treated me like a thief every time I went in there. There's only been a few times I've ever been in there when I didn't buy something, and I usually walk out with a gun when I go, but they still can't seem to figure out that I'm an honest person who doesn't frequent their shoddy little gun store to steal things or waste time.

I don't needlessly fondle their firearms. I don't go into BS or ask dumb questions. I don't go in there unless I'm looking for something or have money and a desire to part with it if I find something I like. Basically, I'm the kind of customer they should be trying to attract, instead of all the deadbeat yokels who are usually only there to jibber jabber about hunting or Obama.

I wouldn't have bought as much stuff from these people as I have, but there's not any shops that are really any better without driving a long ways from where I live.

I did buy from a Portland area shop at a gunshow recently that had the best selection and prices I've seen so far, so I'll probably just make the drive or buy private party from here on out.

Come to think of it, I can't think of any category of people who I've met that are as rude as gun store employees, with the exception of maybe used car salesmen. I'd rather spend time with a dentist or a lawyer.

bps3040
February 25, 2009, 12:06 AM
People who treat others poorly, especially in a business situation, don't deserve the support -- or the business -- of others.

It's quite simple, really: If your local gun shop treats you poorly, find another shop that does not. Better yet, tell the local shop that you believe you are being treated poorly and that if they wish to continue receiving your support, they'd better improve their customer service and their attitude. Even if they don't, or even if they can't, you at least will give them a heads-up about the reason why you are heading for greener pastures. That way, they can't say that they weren't warned; their eventual downfall will be wholly on themselves

Amen. I am self-employed.... every time I lose a customer I go out of my way to find out why. I want...no, I need to know.
Where I live, a local radio celebrity, owns a gun shop. I have been there twice. I choose to spend my money elsewhere. I like him , just not his employee/sales tactics. I went in there and asked to see a gun. The sales guy told me. " I will show it to you, but I do not see why. I can see you cannot afford it"...... I was shocked, lol...still am. So I said " what do you mean? Is that your sales pitch??????? He said "No"... tried to get him to talk more, but he just blew me off.
One of my customers, knows I am into guns, like he is. So, we are talking guns and he tells me out of the blue... about "XXXXXXX" gun shop and when he went in there,lol, the salesman said he would show it to him, but it was obvious that he could not afford it.. He said, here I have the cash in my pocket and he is telling me he did not want my business.
Another gun shop, John's guns in Bastrop... I went in to say Hi. I had seen his store and justed stopped in. He made my wife and I feel like we were lifelong customers. I was there for 45 minutes.....lol, he even gave me a hat and asked me to visit him at the next gun show. He and his wife were great. When we left, I told my wife I am buying my next gun there. So, he will get my business.
Business XXXXX lost 2 customers. Multiply that. Eventually that will catch up with a business. My partners and I go out of our way to please our customers.....best advertisement is a happy cust., worst and most vocal, a unhappy one.. They are not always right, but normally keeping them happy is a heck of lot cheaper than losing their business and everyone they know's business.

B yond
February 25, 2009, 12:21 AM
I'm not sure what causes it, but I've noticed an "I know better than you do" attitude in a lot of the shooting community lately. It's not just the gun stores, it's spread to the range and THR too!

VegasOPM
February 25, 2009, 12:25 AM
If they don't treat you right- let the owner know it and don't come back. There are too many good people out there to put up with silliness. Even when I lived in backwoods Missouri, I was always able to find a gun store that I liked. Some of these stores are thinking they don't need to be nice, since there is business a plenty. That won't last forever- so remember the places that do treat you with respect.

Lumpy76
February 25, 2009, 12:30 AM
The internet is great! I would support the locals if I did'nt get an attitude every time. Shops are few and far between around Chicago. Find a nice FFL dealer and have them sent.
If they are all jerks, I don't care if they all go out of business!

chuckusaret
February 25, 2009, 12:37 AM
We have the same here in West Palm Beach, Florida. Most of the shops have a "if you don't like it go elsewhere" attitude and I have. I only buy at gun shows or thru Gun Broker. com. I believe the local shops should make a profit but the prices have gone thru the roof ie $18.50 plus tax for 50 rounds of 40 cal WWB, thats $5.00 more than Wal Mart, and their gun prices are the same, and in some cases above the MSRP. Most shops want over $400 for a LCP , I guesstimate that is over a $135 mark up. The firing ranges are the same plus you have to use their overpriced cheap ammo. If Obamanation doesn't destroy the gun world the ammo and gun dealers will.

azhunter122
February 25, 2009, 12:41 AM
Yeah, I know what you mean. There's one gun store in town that pretty cheap but the guy is a complete butt. So now I buy from another store but their prices generally seem to be a bit higher but their selection is much larger.

TexasRedneck
February 25, 2009, 12:45 AM
Mebbe ah'm lucky - or mebbe my skin is thicker, but I've only come across bad shops twice in San Antonio over the past 30+ years - an' one of them isn't in business any longer.
One I've traded with the longest is The Powderhorn. I've always been made to feel welcome (then again, I've also spent well into mid-5 figures in there over the years) ;). Knew Bob before he passed away, and his son David runs the place now.
Went by Dury's the other day. Hadn't been there in 5 years, because the last time I was in and trying to buy a gun safe with a very nice budget, I couldn't even get the time of day. Others kept telling me that it was an anamoly, so I finally decided to give 'em another try.
Still not sure if I'm glad I did or not - as I walked the cases, I spotted a SWEET 686 w/2 1/2" barrel well below what I'd seen anywhere else....so it followed me home....

bonedust
February 25, 2009, 01:59 AM
there are WAAAAAY more snobby customers than snobby gun shops. i promise. we get tired of it on our side of the counter too...

TexasRedneck
February 25, 2009, 02:11 AM
I can understand that....but when I walk in, I have something you want - $$$. You MIGHT have something I want. I'd bet you'd rather have what _I_ have - and to get it, you'll have to treat me respectfully.
Now, if I walk in with a 'tude, I deserve the benefit of the doubt. If I continue to show the 'tude, you have a choice - run me (and my money) out....or get my money and hope I never darken your door again.
A perfect example is a customer I have that I abhor - an' it's no secret around the office. Despite that, they've been a customer for 9 years now. One day the Operations Manager asked me why I sold to them when I disliked them SO much. I pointed out to him that I sold to him at a higher margin, and they paid their bill each and every month - so in effect, each month this "dumb Texan" screwed the "Smart Northerner". :D

jbkebert
February 25, 2009, 02:33 AM
One of the local gun shops near me is just a great place to go. Seems like there is as many chair around as at a barber shop. Only problem is everytime I go in there I get stuck shooting the #### with them for at least 30-45 minutes. I went in a short time ago and was looking at a Colt Delta 10mm the guns a little rough but the price is good. So while I am looking at it he says hey watch the store while I go the restroom. He comes out then goes to the back then does something else. All the while I am standing there with his gun in my hand. Might of looked bad had a LOE walked in. He has at least when I have been there been extreamly pleasant with anyone that comes in. If a question is asked that he doesn't know the answer to he ask if any of his patrons possibly do.

DeathByCactus
February 25, 2009, 03:28 AM
I never understood gun stores with unfriendly employees. If I walk into a place of business and feel like I am a "obligation" or something to just be taken care of and moved on out. I don't do business there. There has been a few places in Houston that are like this that I just don't go to anymore.

Then again, now that I found Talon Arms right down the street from me, I can order online and go pick stuff up there... Nice people they are.

tunnug
February 25, 2009, 04:21 AM
We had a shop out here that the owner had as a hobby and he couldn't care less how he treated his customers.
I saw this first hand a few times while I looked around and not seeing anything I wanted would walk out without talking to him.
I was pricing/looking for a gun that no one had on hand, so I decided to stop in and ask for a price. He tells me acting annoyed "I'll give you a price when you come in with money to buy it", I walked out and never set foot in that place again.
The guy was so bad that the place was always empty of people, some time later I read in the paper that someone beat him and left him on the floor of his shop, he lingered for about a month and died from his injuries, guess his treatment went to the wrong person, I don't think anything was stolen.

altitude_19
February 25, 2009, 04:43 AM
I ran into one such operation in Colorado (dealer thought 45 auto had no place as a defensive cartridge). I figured out the common denominator seems to be an inability to acknowledge that there is more than one method to competently defend oneself. The fact that you prefer .357 mag does not automatically mean the 45 ACP has no use. Maintain flexibility and a broad knowledge base that allows you to provide well-founded advice on assembling a defensive system to YOUR CUSTOMERS' specifications and you'll do good business. Start believing that your way is the ONLY way, and you've already started digging your business' grave.

Mp7
February 25, 2009, 04:50 AM
The combo of small genitalia and bigbore Firearms
sure has a lot of negative side effects....
.... unjustified arrogance being one of them.

sernv99
February 25, 2009, 07:15 AM
I assume if a shop is giving an "attitude", it's because they get alot of customers who are obnoxious, however that's the name of the game when you run a business that caters to the public. I always do my research before going to a gunshop so I can shut down the salesman when he starts to b.s. me with a stupid sales pitch. But I never go in with an attitude, always confident and friendly. If I feel the shop is a total waste of my time, I leave and go somewhere else to spend my money. Simple as that.

I only go to one shop near me. The owner answers emails, even if I send something to him on the weekend or late at night, he always provides me with help if I have a question about something. And his staff is real friendly too, very knowledgable.

U.S.SFC_RET
February 25, 2009, 07:28 AM
If you know your subject matter and the guy treats you like a fool then find a gun shop who doesn't
Gunshop dealers are people and sometimes they have a bad day. It is a vicious and competive world.
Customers who come in are rude. Customers are some of the rudest people on earth and frequently try to "educate" shop owners their own business.
If you are a stranger be polite. Don't make it a one time affair just because you have a bad experience.
Show your support. He has to deal with online competition. Harry's gunshop across town. He has to turn a profit just like everyone else. he pays the bills just like everyone else. Show your support buying your ammunition from him. You don't have to buy alot, just buy some.
Show your face and browse some. Once or twice a month. Become a regular. Buy a gun from the guy or set up a layaway.

February 25, 2009, 07:40 AM
If an employee of any place of business gives poor service or has a poor attitude then ask to speak to the manager or owner or get their tele #. One call or complaint will usually stop their crappy ways or get them the boot. There are too many wanting jobs now to put up with shoddy employees inept attitudes or product knowledge. Was at Sports Authority(national chain) last year and listened to a young salesman telling this single mom she needed a Casull for home defense. She could hardly hold the "hand cannon" up. Soon as he stepped away I explained what she really needed but he overheard part of it and got puffy. I asked him how many handguns he had and he said NONE. 'Bout that time an older gent came over and dismissed the dummy and I hope back to the ladies panties section. She ended up with a shrouded hammer 38 snubbie. We kept in contact and she now has her CC and a Kimber 45. wc

colemanw
February 25, 2009, 07:41 AM
pretty damn cool they are

glassman
February 25, 2009, 07:56 AM
I frequent a large shop that has a reputation for being 'snooty'. I admit there are a few counter guys who have atitude so I wait for the ones who don't when looking for something. I began my experience there by being seen every weekend to use the range. I didn't buy any firearms but my face was known to them. When I finally did ask to see something in the case, I introduced myself and shook hands with the guy. The questions I asked were semi intelligent and I listened to the answers with a neutral expression. From that point on, they wave or say hello and treat me well in general. I think my taking the first step and treating them in a good way has been reciprocated.

Mk VII
February 25, 2009, 08:15 AM
Went twice into a local store (bicycles) for some small thing. The guy was so offhand and rude about my requirements (which he didn't have) that I thought, "next time I have some big money to spend, pal, it won't be in here". And it wasn't. Met somebody else in town who had got the same brush-off from them, too.

chuckusaret
February 25, 2009, 09:04 AM
In a short time the gun stores will be begging. If Obamanation has his way they will be out of business or when the manufacturers catch up their preceived backlog. I believe the big gun rush is over based on the sales at the past gun show I attended. Sales were way down. The people that wanted guns have bought their guns and the gun sales will return to the pre- Obamanation days. I don't need anymore guns, I am prepared to face Obamanations "Strong Civilian Force".

Moccw
February 25, 2009, 09:14 AM
My Local gunshop in my small town in marshall MO is a good shop, very friendly people, but some of the shops in KC (Arms Mart) Especially are a bunch of *******s. Its like its a problem or a hassle for them to pick up the phone, or answer a easy question. Its so easy to be friendly, and with that you get return customers. People Being rude to me or others in front of me doesnt make me return anywhere.... Especially when good amounts of money are being spent with them.:scrutiny:

Duke of Doubt
February 25, 2009, 09:33 AM
John-Melb: "By the time I was finished, he had dollar signs in his eyes and there was a pile of stuff about a foot high on his counter. I then reminded him of his public library coment and said that I don't buy from rude people, and left the store."

Now that's just childish.

If I want to be stroked, I head over to the pool hall and buy drinks for the girls at the bar. It feels a lot nicer than getting stroked by some gun store shmoe.

kwelz
February 25, 2009, 11:34 AM
Interestingly enough I have a store in my area with what I can only refer to as "reverse" Gun Snobbery. He carries mainly low end firearms with a smattering of good ones like XDs, etc. But most of what he carries ranges from junk to budget makes of firearms. There is nothing wrong with this of course but asking about something better will often get you some dirty looks and snide comments.

3pairs12
February 25, 2009, 12:38 PM
My favorite little gun shop has mutipleeople behind the counter. Always the same ones. There is one up tight fellow that half the time doesn't know what he is talking about. So if I really need help I wait until the others aren't busy.

Carlos Cabeza
February 25, 2009, 07:20 PM
Duke, I think the keywords are at the bottom of "John-Melb's" post.

Governor and Bloke.........and Melb ?????

I'm betting he's an Aussie fromdownunda. They do thing a little differently in the Southern Hemisphere.:cool:

stevereno1
February 25, 2009, 07:30 PM
Every business person has to deal with CUSTOMERS who are not as knowlegable as themselves. This is NO excuse for making anyone feel uncomfortable in their business. Go find a shop that is run by professional, cusomer oriented people. Examples like this are why so many potential cash-customers choose to go to gander mountan, bass pro, and academy, rather than deal with some smart a-- at a localally owned gun shop.

jhco
February 25, 2009, 09:39 PM
same here one local shop is very snobby, I dont understand why some one who im am willing to give lots of money to would treat me like crap, thats why I dont shop there any more

pmeisel
February 25, 2009, 10:03 PM
If I want to be stroked, I head over to the pool hall and buy drinks for the girls at the bar. It feels a lot nicer than getting stroked by some gun store shmoe.

Sounds like a strategy to me.

shortside
February 25, 2009, 10:45 PM
Wow, I now realize that I am even luckier than I thought!

I have several "good" shops near me, and one "GREAT" shop that I frequent often as possible. I just feel better being around the guys that run the place.

They treat all fo their customers well, and love what they do. Needless to say, I am a regular.

How lucky I am to live in Mon-"by-God"-tana!

Shortside

jakemccoy
February 25, 2009, 10:52 PM
First gun shop I ever visited lost a lot of business because their sole salesman was an ass.

jzzr83
February 25, 2009, 11:09 PM
One place close to me (2 miles) the owner is a jerk and not helpful. He was very rude the first, second and last time I was in. The second place is 12 miles away. They were very standoffish at first but they have been getting more friendly so I have bought some accessories there. The only place I have bought a firearm from is a guy that has his FFL and I drive 25 miles to his house because he is very nice and does not mind answering any of my newbie questions.

datruth
February 25, 2009, 11:49 PM
Im active duty military and have picked up a weekend job to help supplement my very expensive habit, I'm a 26 year old, African American male, which I see very few minorities of In shooting sports, and less as gun store employees, and I have enjoy the shooting sports for as long as i can remember, I'm also the armorer for my unit, another way for me to expand my knowledge. I have worked at two different gun stores, one with more selection geared toward the hunter, and another geared more toward Ar/ black rifle crowd. I have dealt with a wide assortment of people in previous sales jobs before the military and during my time on active duty, black,white,Asian,Hispanic etc, those who swear by wheel guns, customers how shoot nothing but 1911's, the glock crowd,etc. I have always lived my life by simply treating others and customers alike, as I would want to be treated. I treat every customer the same way regardless of looks or preference in firearms . If I person hates polymer framed firearms, I carry a glock, Im not going to shut down on them, they are talking guns I would I have no reservations about showing a 2k dollars mark 23 HK to a Guy or Gal dressed in tee shirt and jeans with holes in them , I would feel just as comfortable showing a 300 dollar ruger p89 to a gentleman dressed in a business suit. I love firearms, and I like talking to people about them regardless if they are an avid collector or buying their first firearm, or not buying anything but a box of 22lr. Give everybody a fair shake whether they are getting a acog for Noveske/Magpul MPL Light recce or looking for a BSA scope for their ruger 10/22, I don't work of commission, but I guarantee I try my best to make sure everybody that leaves the store is helped in the best way possible. I would want to feel that why when I leave a store, its only fair, right? I feel the best weapon is the one you are most safe with . It always boils down to preference, Im not a expert by any stretch of the imagination, I just try to give you options and help in anyway I can, that's all, sorry for rambling i have not typed this much since college.

wrc376
February 25, 2009, 11:51 PM
great guys at my shop- good merchandise at negotiable prices ;)

elkyote
February 26, 2009, 02:07 AM
I smell some Jim Pruett's hate LOL... I have never been impressed by their customer service "Skills."

2ndAmFan
February 26, 2009, 03:16 AM
There used to be a gun shop in a town near me that stocked a lot of hard to get items, from guns to ammo. The owner didn't know much about guns, though a couple of his clerks did, and he was a rude, arrogant guy who would ignore a potential paying customer while he yakked with some buddy of his. I know because it happened to me both times I was in there. He went out of business, in spite of an excellent selection of guns and ammo, and good prices. You don't suppose he lost too much business by being a jerk, do you? He lost mine.

ThrottleJockey
February 26, 2009, 03:17 AM
I love my gun shop. Bills gun shop and range in the twin cities. There is one guy there that I will not deal with though. Every one else is friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. They have just about anything you could want in stock(most of the time) and if they don't, then they'll have it next week. Any time I see the owner there, we talk, I make a point of this. He has even begun stocking certain items at my request, one day we were talking about drum mags for the AK variants, he said hang on a minute, went to his office briefly, returned and told me which ones he could get and asked what I wanted. Then he went back to the office and ordered a bunch of them. The following week, I bought 2 and left the others for the rest of you:) They are nice Romanian ones too, no spring winding, push the lever down, feed a round, push feed, push.......BTW, yesterday we talked about the EBRs and selling them to you guys. He will not sell to other dealers/ffl holders, but if anyone needs something they can't get, call them and arrange a purchase/transfer.http://billsgs.com/

jakemccoy
February 26, 2009, 05:49 PM
I do NOT recommend "The Last Gun Shop" in Napa, California. The salesman was a jerk, to put it mildly. Back in April 2007, the salesman quoted me $550 over the phone for a new Wingmaster (NOT an Express). I drove 40 miles to the store. I got into the shop, and the price was $699 for the Wingmaster, and it was a special order. The salesman got mad at me for arguing with him about the problem, like the problem was my fault. The owner came by and was not empathetic to me. So, I drove the 40 miles back home, pissed the whole time.

Instead of getting a customer into the store to buy stuff, the store lost thousands of dollars of business all because of poor customer service. I plan on writing the owner and showing him the thousands of dollars of receipts that could have been his. I was a newbie at the time, but I wasn't poor...their bad.

pmeisel
February 26, 2009, 08:53 PM
Recently moved to a new area, so I had to learn new gun shops.

One, kind of unfriendly. Already went out of business.

A couple more seemed to be more interested in their own conversations than talking to customers. Just don't go those places very often anymore.

Two others -- pleasant and helpful if you want help, friendly if you just want to look. They get first shot at my business and I make some small purchases there even if I could get it cheaper online.

230RN
February 26, 2009, 09:05 PM
I'm tempted to photocopy all my receipts from other gun stores to this one guy who insisted on "educating" me on open carry versus concealed carry.

Long story.

But every once in a while I look at my box of gun receipts, and boy, am I tempted to take them down to the copy shop.

But, I'm neither that vindictive, nor am I a teacher.

Let the Cosmos teach him.

Terry, 230RN

Duke of Doubt
February 26, 2009, 09:08 PM
datruth: "Im active duty military and have picked up a weekend job to help supplement my very expensive habit, I'm a 26 year old, African American male, which I see very few minorities of In shooting sports, and less as gun store employees, and I have enjoy the shooting sports for as long as i can remember, I'm also the armorer for my unit, another way for me to expand my knowledge. ... I feel the best weapon is the one you are most safe with . It always boils down to preference, Im not a expert by any stretch of the imagination, I just try to give you options and help in anyway I can, that's all, sorry for rambling i have not typed this much since college."

Good on you! My ex-in-laws were mostly blacker than midnight in Persia (mixed Creek/black/white), and they all loved guns. I can't even begin to describe how many gun sales I've seen lost by gun stores when they just plain couldn't communicate with their black customers. I'm about as politically correct as Attila the Hun, but ignorance is ignorance, and business is business. So many of these "tacticool" types flee from the approach of any black male as if some leprous Crip were chasing him through Mogadishu. Shame on them. I'm guessing your store will see an uptick in sales.

earlthegoat2
February 26, 2009, 09:31 PM
If they have the gun you want and the deal to boot who cares.

Grow some thick skin and suck it up and buy from there anyway. These days if they have what I want I just get and run and to hell with the people behind the counter.

modwerdna
March 3, 2009, 05:16 AM
go in the un-polite shop with a friend(don't let on you know each other go in seperate) and start looking at a shotgun news together making a lot of comments about ordering guns and supplies from different vendors listed and then the online ones as well. Take out a pen and write down numbers from said shotgun news or "wow have you heard of this website" they are selling x for y and have tons of them" make sure your conversation is plenty loud enough for owner to overhear, and ignore the owner or give him a dumb look, and then walk out with a " boy I can't wait to get to a phone to call that one" --a taste of their own medicine I say.

dealt with them before, they are just morons who forgot who pays their bills.

adorable_harree
March 3, 2009, 05:54 AM
You just basically described how it feels like to walk in the majority of gunshops here in the Philippines.

RSABear
March 3, 2009, 07:21 AM
Felt like that many times in my life - the attitude of please don't do me a favor to be my customer, I have lots I can milk for money every day, also makes my blood boil.

Remeber this - He WILL close shop, maybe not now but it is comming.

I have a quote from a local motivational speaker called Peter Cheales (actually the title of a book he wrote): "I WAS YOUR CUSTOMER"

I just love that one.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun snobbery..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!