sks

PDA

mr.mafia
February 24, 2009, 08:04 PM
what is your opinion on the russian SKS? i'm knidof curios about them and was wondering

If you enjoyed reading about "sks" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
briansmithwins
February 24, 2009, 08:06 PM
Reliable, durable, classic. They are what they are.

If you want detachable mags and optics in 7.62x39, get a AK with a side rail and save yourself much effort. BSW

zx12rider
February 24, 2009, 08:09 PM
Now they are good not so cheap fun. Great stock, can get better or worse with add on's.

Matrix187
February 24, 2009, 09:25 PM
Good add-ons: Tech peep sight, fine front post, extended rubber butt pad, murray firing pin, and a kivaari trigger job. My SKS will have all of these soon. Everything else is stock.

Sam1911
February 24, 2009, 09:38 PM
This is total personal opinion, so accept it as such:

Be kind to your Russian SKS.

If you've got great plans for new sights, detachable mags, a "beautiful" synthetic stock, removing the bayonet and grinding off the lug, etc....get one of the cheaper already hacked Chinese ones or whatever. There's lots on the market that have already been screwed around with so you won't do much more damage.

Russians are special. It's a fine rifle -- enjoy it as is.

There...you're richer by my $0.02!

-Sam

Cannonball888
February 24, 2009, 09:41 PM
Russians are collectables. Like others have said, if you don't like it in it's original form you can get a cheap SKS to bubbify.

Babarsac
February 24, 2009, 11:17 PM
IMO get an SKS no matter what county it's from. It's a reliable firearm that needs no extra magazines and will eat any ammo you throw at it. The Russian SKS is the orginal and I'm jealous if you get to have one.

bang_bang
February 24, 2009, 11:26 PM
Most of the SKS's out there are shooters.

Russian's, however, have grown on me lately. I love their wood grain and color. These are the real-deal of SKS's. A Russian should be treated differently; not thrown around, modded, chopped, or painted.

Blacksmoke
February 24, 2009, 11:29 PM
I had a Tula made SKS and loved it up and until it was stolen by a neighbor. The only downside was that accuracy fell off when it heated up. It sure was durable and reliable. No idea what they sell for now adays. I paid about 200 for mine in 2001. They are/were kind of rare in rural NM and CO.

All the same a Marlin .30-30 is a better buy unless you are planning on repelling borders or something like that.

MaterDei
February 24, 2009, 11:39 PM
SKSs are great plinkers. For plinking, I like my SKS better than my AR or my AK.

Matrix187
February 25, 2009, 02:28 AM
If i had a classic russian SKS I would definitely keep it stock. But, mine is a 1978 norinco 20", and I really dont care if it's modded. The tech peep sight and fine front post, kivaari trigger job, and extended buttpad will make it alot easier to shoot accurately and more comfortably. Therefore, it'll be more fun for me to plink with. Plus, with murray firing pin it will be safer to shoot.

If you enjoyed reading about "sks" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!