1911 question

PDA

shiftyer1
February 25, 2009, 01:33 AM
Recently I have found a couple argentino colts. What is a reasonable price for one of these? How does it rank in quality.

If you enjoyed reading about "1911 question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
colemanw
February 25, 2009, 01:44 AM
Prices fluctuate but the pre war pistols are not heat treated the way postwar 1911s are. Take a careful look at the locking lugs on the slide for peening and other signs of wear.

Even though they were made in Argentina they were done on Colt equipment. The build quality should be pretty good... don't know about how much use they had though... so...

personally I would not plan on putting thousands of rounds through them but some casual plinking or concealed carry should be fine.

2RCO
February 25, 2009, 02:38 AM
shiftyer--The Argentines are basically a 1911A1 and all parts are interchangeable. I've done quite a bit with them and will put them up against contemporary colts GI and commercial models. The fit and finish on the 2 I have is quite good.

A couple years ago you could get them from $200 up depending on condition to about $500 for a 98% gun -I bought a minty one for $450 at the time I thought it was a hair high now I wouldn't sell it for $900.

I disagree with Coleman in that I know they will take thousands of rounds if cared for properly.

If you enjoyed reading about "1911 question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!