How many of you tell residents that you are packing?

PDA

Moparmike
October 4, 2003, 05:00 AM
I was going thru my state's CCW laws, and it says that (paraphrasing) "I must inform the home owner before entering the premises that I am carrying a concealed firearm."

Do you do this, or stick to the strict code of "concealment is no one knowing"?

Edited to add: Crud. I should have made a poll. Can a mod do this (a simple yes/no would do nicely:) . Thanks).

If you enjoyed reading about "How many of you tell residents that you are packing?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Snaps
October 4, 2003, 05:02 AM
I tend to stay out of people's houses I don't know and almost everybody I know knows I carry if they don't themselves.

But I don't go around announcing it to random people. Folks get paranoid when they know somebody's got a gun. Probably because most who don't have them are taught to be afraid of those evil guns that will kill you on their own.:rolleyes:

Lancel
October 4, 2003, 05:34 AM
Haven't heard of that regulation before. Wasn't in my training in Pennsylvania (before shall issue), Texas, or Tennessee. Just did a quick check and still couldn't find anything in the Tennessee Code.

The lawmakers have given you a helluva greeting there in Arkansas:

Knock, knock
"Who's there?"
"Gotta"
"Gotta who?"
"Gotta gun, Can I come in?"

Maybe that'll break the ice ... and maybe not.
:)
Larry

Rock45
October 4, 2003, 09:07 AM
Don't often (meaning never) have the occasion to enter the home of someone I don't know. I do notify homeowners of my carry status when I enter their home, I believe it is their right to know. It is, in turn, my right to decide whether or not I will enter/remain in a place where I am not welcome when armed.

That is my take on the subject...I understand that situations could dictate behavior outside of what I would consider normal for ME.

Delmar
October 4, 2003, 09:11 AM
If its somebody I know and they don't like guns, I do not carry it into their home. If its somebody I don't know-they don't need to know.

FPrice
October 4, 2003, 09:18 AM
The essence of carrying concealed is to make sure that no one can tell that you are armed, at least not without a close inspection. Therefore if you are doing it properly, no one will/should know.

If I am going somewhere where I know I will not be able to maintain such concealment, I don't carry. Example, a public swimming pool.

And if I am invited to a house belonging to someone who is violently and rabidly anti-gun, I most likely would not go.

Kentucky Rifle
October 4, 2003, 10:08 AM
Don't ask, don't tell. Unless it's a really good friend's home and we talk about our carry guns.

KR

Hot brass
October 4, 2003, 01:40 PM
No.

It`s none of their business.
I have only told one neighbor and he wants a CCW. We talk guns all the time.

WvaBill
October 4, 2003, 07:21 PM
Unless WV has some hidden law, if some knows you are carrying it is not a crime until you refuse to leave or temporarily surrender(yeh I'll be doin that) you weapon when asked.

By definition, the law states "concealed" means that no one will take notice in the normal courser of business. While concealment is not required, (OC w/o a permit is ok) I don't see how someone would know--maybe wonder if they know me.

October 4, 2003, 07:25 PM
I try to only associate with rational people.
Any rational person carries.
So, I assume that anyone I hang around with is carrying.

I would imagine they also assume I was carrying. I don't make an issue out of it.

Hkmp5sd
October 4, 2003, 07:43 PM
Everyone that knows me is aware that I carry at all times. I don't visit strangers.

Dilettante
October 4, 2003, 07:44 PM
I try to only associate with rational people.
Any rational person carries.

Wow. Things must be different in Pahrump, Nevada.

Edward429451
October 4, 2003, 08:14 PM
Absolutely not. Why force a moot issue to light, since there is no threat in my carrying?

Standing Wolf
October 4, 2003, 10:58 PM
Nope. It's my gun. It's tucked out of sight. My intentions are entirely honorable—and anyway, I deliberately avoid leftists, criminals, welfare cases, illegal aliens, low dives, slums, et cetera.

pax
October 4, 2003, 11:05 PM
No, and I don't tell them what color underwear I'm wearing that day, either.

What I've got on under my outer clothing is no one's business.

Edited to add: boy, your state law is really stupid. I'm glad that one isn't on the books in Washington state.

pax

In a society in which it is a moral offense to be different from your neighbor your only escape is never to let them find out. -- Robert Heinlein

Baba Louie
October 5, 2003, 12:00 AM
I'm with Kentucky Rifle and 444 on this.

I assume everyone I meet is like me in that regards and I don't talk about it, don't ask. I might politely give someone a quick glance to see what I can see, if anything, now and then. I avoid giving (or getting) hugs and bumping my right hip into people or furniture as well.

Don't ask, don't tell works real well, for me.

And yeah Pahrump NV is kinda different than everyday east coast, west coast, midwest or far east America. I guess the city council gets kinda grumpy about open carry, eh 444? Easy to "rationalize" self-protection. And all of the people I've met in Pahrump are SO polite. :D

Adios

Chugach
October 5, 2003, 03:09 AM
Notification of homeowner required in Alaska.

BluesBear
October 5, 2003, 05:05 AM
Edited to add: boy, your state law is really stupid.
I agree with Pax.

I'm glad that one isn't on the books in Washington state.
ME TOO!

Moparmike
October 5, 2003, 06:06 AM
Edited to add: boy, your state law is really stupid. I'm glad that one isn't on the books in Washington state.Well, I can see how it would be stupid, and that it shouldnt be on the books. However, in my home I prefer to know who is doing what (as far as guns go, it would probably be a conversation starter, and something to gawk at.:) ) I wont have a problem with someone carrying, wether its a Derringer or a S&W 500mag. I just like to know, sort of like if someone is planning to smoke in my car. Just a quirk I guess.:)

Edited to add: And it lets me know wether I need to keep a close eye on them as I know some less-than-responsible people that I would be scared of if I knew they were within 100ft of a gun. :scrutiny: :eek:

Mike Irwin
October 5, 2003, 10:44 AM
Yeah, right.

Unfortunately, some of my friends are true sheep when it comes to guns, and I really don't feel like listening to them bleat...

SouthpawShootr
October 5, 2003, 11:42 AM
Nobody knows for sure when I'm armed except me. All of my friends expect it, they just don't know for sure. I certainly wouldn't tell them one way or the other. As far as going into a stranger's house when carrying concealed, I don't (go into the house, that is). BTW, all my friends are gun nuts, so I don't have to listen to any bleating. I know a few people who are not into guns, but I would never enter their home nor would they have cause to invite me.

Another thing, if a buddy asks to see my carry gun, I decline and invite him to come to the range with me. When I'm carrying it, the only thing that will get it out of the holster is either a request from a police officer (who most likely will disarm me himself anyway) to hand it over or a life-threatening situation. When showing off your carry piece you have at least two opportunities for negligent discharge (when you are unloading it and when you load up to put it back). Just don't like the risk.

pax
October 5, 2003, 12:10 PM
I wont have a problem with someone carrying, wether its a Derringer or a S&W 500mag. I just like to know, sort of like if someone is planning to smoke in my car. Just a quirk I guess.
Mike, but would you want them to tell you they were carrying a cigarette in their pocket if they weren't planning to smoke?

Best post I ever saw on the subject was at http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&postid=40755#post40755

pax

There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. -- R.A.Heinlein

Ala Dan
October 5, 2003, 12:17 PM
I'm from the old school, and our thought's are:

"What they don't know, won't hurt 'em"

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Moparmike
October 5, 2003, 04:36 PM
Good post pax. Thanks for the link.

I agree with all that has been posted here. Please keep in mind that while I was pro-RKBA all my life, I was a border-line sheeple for quite some number of years. I am recovering nicely.;)

Jason Demond
October 5, 2003, 06:11 PM
The only people that know I carry, are my close family. I don't tell anyone else.

DMK
October 5, 2003, 11:45 PM
Wow, and I thought NC was bad because we have to inform LEOs when approached. Now I don't feel as bad.

There's no way I'm telling anybody else when I'm carrying, not even friends and relatives. Stupid laws. It's called Concealed carry, telling everybody about it is kind of counter productive. Lawmakers just don't get it. :banghead:

vertigo7
October 6, 2003, 12:26 AM
Glad I live in FL.. no notification needed, to sheeple or LEO, unless I decide it's prudent to give such notice.

sm
October 6, 2003, 03:04 AM
Mike , while your attending Fayett'nam and walking along the brickyard, don't inhale too deep, that stuff in the air ain't healthy. :)

You have been given good advice and links. I too am a resident of the same state as you. Even before a ticket to carry was issued here,even available,even needed... I CCW. I always figured everyone carried, GG or BG, I still do. I was not alone , in my thinking and practice. I have a circle of friends, we know now as we did before tickets to carry , we were armed, a given. I don't go where unlike kind reside. If by some reason I do find myself , concealed means concealed.

Now in AR your CCW is flagged on DL, yes inform officer. I am one of many whom also has a non- res FL, this one is NOT flagged on DL. I know many residents here in AR that use only the non- res FL...get my drift?

You will most likely hear "don't use .357 in a .357 , use .38 spl" in your class also. I believe in shot placement, and knowing what is beyond my target. I'm not going to suggest you or anyone do anything they should not, or feel uncomfortable about. Just remember educators are for you to determine for yourself...not accept what is taught as etched in granite. Liability also dictates what is recommended. Not all education comes from a building marked "education".

Another good read, and I only suggest for stimulating gray matter :
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=34976

I figure any and all are carrying I encounter and conduct myself accordingly. Always.

Sheridan
October 6, 2003, 11:32 AM
Moparmike said:

And it lets me know wether I need to keep a close eye on them as I know some less-than-responsible people that I would be scared of if I knew they were within 100ft of a gun.

If I know of someone of whom I should be concerned because they are around a gun, I should be concerned about them period. If they can't be trusted with a gun, they can't be trusted with any other common, house-hold implement.

synoptic
October 6, 2003, 12:21 PM
In texas we aren't required to notify the homeowner, but if they ask us not to carry it will be criminal trespassing if we continue to. Section 30.06 allows for oral notice to be given not to carry on the property. Unless I absolutely had to for some reason i wouldn't visit anyone who didn't want me to carry unless it was for what I believed was a valid reason...

Moparmike
October 6, 2003, 07:15 PM
Sheridan, the scary thing is that some of my "friends" would classify me as such a person. But they dont know I have guns because they classify me like that. The last thing I need is for them to have one more of my buttons to push, or say something like "Watch out, he is a gun-toting psycho.":mad:

Some friends I have.

Anyway, the laws here in AR arent the best, but they are better than some. As long as we can keep them like that, we will be in business.

10-Ring
October 6, 2003, 08:00 PM
On the rare occassion I carry, I don't tell ANYONE!

Brian Williams
October 6, 2003, 09:09 PM
My wife does not know but Gus Dddysgrl does, so does Peter my son.

If you enjoyed reading about "How many of you tell residents that you are packing?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!