200+ yard range in Southern New England?

PDA

desidog
February 25, 2009, 12:37 PM
Hello,

I live in Southern CT and am looking for a long distance rifle range. Currently, I can only find 100 yd ranges - now that the 200 yd range in Wallingford has been permanently shut down. I'd also be interested in joining a private range if it has the distance, if there are no public ranges.

Also, a while back i heard a rumor about a 1000 yd range in Mass., but i haven't seen or heard anything about it lately.

Do you know of a good, long range for precision shooting?

If you enjoyed reading about "200+ yard range in Southern New England?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Marcus5aurelius
February 25, 2009, 02:23 PM
I've been actually wondering the same thing. I live in MA and I'de love to find a decent distance range because what's the point of having a tricked out long range rifle with no range for it? If you find out any more information please let me know. Thanks

Daizee
February 25, 2009, 02:30 PM
There are a few 200yd+ ranges here in RI.
I don't belong to any of them, they're all private as far as I know.

The Hartford Gun Club in Granby has at least a 200yd range. Not sure I've seen the entire grounds.

That's sad to hear about Blue Trail. Is the entire place shutdown, or just the high-power rifle range? I shot bullseye there once or twice.

-Daizee

desidog
February 25, 2009, 03:27 PM
Blue Trail had to shut down their 200yd, due to neighbors on the far side of the ridge getting some deflected rounds in their back yards. They have reinforced the 100 yd backstop, so the pistols and -50 and 100 are still open. According to their website, though, the fight is not over. www.bluetrailrange.com

Duke of Doubt
February 25, 2009, 03:45 PM
Plenty of 200 yard ranges in southern Maine.

"Keep Maine Green -- Bring Money!"

rscalzo
February 25, 2009, 04:35 PM
1000 yd range in Mass

Pemi has a 850 and at times a 1000 yard range but it is not open on a regular basic. It is used only for special events such as their long range shoots. www.pemi.org

Retro
February 25, 2009, 08:02 PM
I have shot at the 200 yard Blue Trail range in the past when I was visiting friends there, and apparently, that neighbor of theirs showed "deflected" .50 cal bullets with no rifling marks on them...

RugerBob
February 25, 2009, 08:16 PM
Theres Major Waldrons in south berwick-eloit maine. I am not sure of there yardage, but they have long range rifle shoots there.

MJR007
February 25, 2009, 09:02 PM
My back deck - the coffee is always on and the beer is in the ice box. The kids will run targets with the wheeler - as long as you give them some trigger time.

Good luck to you.

Martyk
February 25, 2009, 09:13 PM
http://www.anjrpc.org/cherry_ridge.htm

The Cherry Ridge range in Vernon, NJ has a 50/100/200/300 yd Rifle Range.

Highland Ranger
February 25, 2009, 09:18 PM
was just going to post the anjrpc range - bit of a haul for you from Connecticut and not sure you can be a member and shoot without a NJ FID card. You can get in as a guest . . . but you'd need a member to sponsor.

bozzman3
February 26, 2009, 08:17 PM
Northern ct. Eastwindsor sportsman club

Tinpig
February 26, 2009, 09:05 PM
Might be a bit of a haul, but the Copicut Rifle Assoc. in SE Mass has 100, 200, 300 yd. ranges and a pistol range. I belong and shoot Garands, 03A3s, and ARs there. It's a very no-frills place.

http://www.copicutrifleassociation.org/

Let me know if you want more info.

Tinpig

desidog
February 27, 2009, 11:36 AM
Thanks, Tinpig, but that a good 2.5 hours, and to get there i'd have to drive through RI, where i don't have a licensing.

Daizee
February 27, 2009, 12:52 PM
Licensing I think would only be an issue for handgun carry. If so, it's easier to get a carry permit for RI as a CT resident with an existing permit than as a RI resident without any permit at all.

-Daizee

If you enjoyed reading about "200+ yard range in Southern New England?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!