forthcoming ban

PDA

HydeSmyler
February 25, 2009, 03:56 PM
I was pretty bummed out today when eric holder was on cspan stating that the administration was not going to change much as far as firearms go except to implement an assault weapons ban. He did not say when but he did say it is going to happen to prevent arms from getting over the border to mexican gangs.

If you enjoyed reading about "forthcoming ban" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TexasRifleman
February 25, 2009, 03:58 PM
Administrations don't implement things like this. It takes an act of Congress.

No legislation is currently pending for any AWB's.

I'm sure the administration would like to see a ban passed, but it is very questionable whether Congress has the votes to push one through in this climate.

Not time to panic yet :)

WoofersInc
February 25, 2009, 04:02 PM
When the economy continues to tank, they are going to have to do something to make it look like they are getting things acomplished. That's when I think they will go after the guns.

HydeSmyler
February 25, 2009, 04:06 PM
Thanks TexasRifleman I feel a little better now. Sorry for my ignorance on this matter. This was on c-span about half hour ago.

BBQLS1
February 25, 2009, 04:06 PM
Close the border and the gun problem in Mexico will go away, or at least won't be from the US.

everallm
February 25, 2009, 04:21 PM
HydeSmyler,

There will be any number of firearms control bills come up in Congress each and every year.

Some are from diehard banners, such as McCarthy to single issue politicians to those "paying off" special interest groups that helped get them elected.

Unless a bill has a substantial number of heavy hitter co-sponsors it will wither and die in committee, vis HR 45.

Keep an eye on the NRA-ILA web site, filter as appropriate with an eye to is an alert being bruted to raise cash and you should get a good idea as to what is worth worrying about.

COULD Son of AWB happen, yes, is is probable in the current politico-economic cycle, much less so.

Pick your fight for your rights

eye5600
February 25, 2009, 04:21 PM
When the economy continues to tank, they are going to have to do something to make it look like they are getting things accomplished. That's when I think they will go after the guns.

You didn't listen to the speech last night, did you? The President laid out an agenda more ambitious than all of Clinton and Bush put together, and didn't mention guns.

TexasRifleman
February 25, 2009, 04:22 PM
Sorry for my ignorance on this matter. This was on c-span about half hour ago.

It's not ignorance, it's very much for real what they want to do and you are right to worry, we just can't panic.

That "border safety" crap is just the handiest excuse at the moment.

A month ago it was the Five Seven handgun that was causing all the problems, now it's "assault weapons".

Leanwolf
February 25, 2009, 04:24 PM
It would not make one bit of difference whatsoever if the border were closed completely and if every firearm were stopped from "going south," the Mexican narco gangsters would still get all they wanted. Foreign gangs would merely smuggle them into Mexico from foreign countries.

The Mexican narco gangsters have literally billions of U.S. dollars, cash money on the barrel head, sitting around in their "coffers." They would have no trouble at all, buying all the firearms, ordanance, and ammo they wanted.

There is a gigantic network of foreign smugglers, worldwide, dealing in the trade of anything anyone wants, so long as the money is there to pay for it.

Eric Holder and The Great Lord Obamacus Rex The Magnificent, The One Mighty And Strong, The Most Righteous Savior Of Mankind, are merely using the "stop guns to Mexico" cry as a lying ruse to eventually disarm American citizens.

Anyone interested, BTW, in reading an excellent book on the international smuggling trade should buy a copy of "McMAFIA, A Journey Through The Global Criminal World," by Misha Glenny, Alfred A. Knopf Publs., (c)2008.

It's an eye opener!!

L.W.

NavyLCDR
February 25, 2009, 04:25 PM
Not time to panic yet

+1 All it does is drive prices up, availability down. Just like gas. Oh well, what can we do? One half of the population panics because we have guns and the other half panics because we can't get 'em.

skwab
February 25, 2009, 04:26 PM
Personally I think it would be foolish for Dems to attempt to harm a thriving sector of our economy given the current climate. Of course that's assuming politicians weren't foolish, but it seems like it would be another reason to leave guns alone right now.

The Lone Haranguer
February 25, 2009, 04:27 PM
Not time to panic yet. :)
Yet, being the operative word.

HydeSmyler
February 25, 2009, 04:37 PM
eye5600 I did watch the speech last night and
I'm sure many americans did.

rbernie
February 25, 2009, 04:38 PM
This is supposed to be the video from CSPAN:

http://cspan.org/Watch/watch.aspx?ProgramId=HP-A-40856

It is not yet active, but it's probably worth trying to catch later to see what Holder actually said.

HydeSmyler
February 25, 2009, 04:47 PM
20:25 minute mark.

fatelk
February 25, 2009, 04:50 PM
My two cents worth, and I'm pretty convinced that I'm right:

I don't think they are going to do anything on gun control, except possibly the "gun show loophole". With the economic problems, gun just aren't on the radar screen right now.

HOWEVER, I truly believe they are just waiting for some lunatic to shoot up some mall or school (heaven forbid) to ram through something a lot worse than the Clinton ban, and so fast that it will make your head spin.

NavyLCDR
February 25, 2009, 04:52 PM
You're probably right, fatelk. I agree with you 100%

CoRoMo
February 25, 2009, 04:54 PM
Maybe they'll write an AWB just to change the subject of the economy because they aren't' going to fix that any time soon.

rbernie
February 25, 2009, 05:00 PM
20:25 minute mark.I can't get the video thru the corporate firewalls/proxies. Can somebody try to fat-finger in a transcript of his specific RKBA-related quotes?

jbnwc
February 25, 2009, 05:06 PM
I'm sorta new to the 'gun culture', but if an American wanted to get a full-auto AK-47 illegally, wouldn't we go to Mexico to get it? Not the other way around as they seem to suggest on CSPAN? Are Mexico's gun laws stricter than ours?

alde
February 25, 2009, 05:06 PM
They know how many elections were lost in the past over gun legislation. They will have enough trouble keeping there jobs with all the spending they are doing. People are getting tired of it and many are finally waking up.

SrDedosRapidos
February 25, 2009, 05:07 PM
Yeah... im not too worried about it yet, but it is coming and i will be ready.

They've simply got too much on their plate right now to worry about this. I would say that once the economy has been stabilized (or its destruction has been finalized... ) then we can start to sweat a little bit.

6_gunner
February 25, 2009, 05:17 PM
The new administration is not stupid. The fact that, for the last several months, America has been buying guns and ammo faster than they can be produced has got to tell them that the time is not ripe for new restrictions. As annoying as the gun buy-up is (especially if you'd like to go target shooting but there is no ammo to be found ANYWHERE), I think that it sends a loud and clear message that America is not ready to turn in her guns.

With the economic problems, gun just aren't on the radar screen right now.

I don't think we can count on the economic troubles to keep them distracted from their gun-ban agenda. Remember, the first and most restrictive federal gun control was implemented in the middle of the Great Depression.

I think the best strategy is to continue reminding them that gun control is not going to be a wise political move, rather than hoping that the economy will keep them distracted.

rbernie
February 25, 2009, 05:20 PM
Are Mexico's gun laws stricter than ours?Yes, they are.

http://www.panda.com/mexicoguns/

Travis Bickle
February 25, 2009, 05:21 PM
I'm sure the administration would like to see a ban passed, but it is very questionable whether Congress has the votes to push one through in this climate.

They don't. When the gun grabbers can't even count on a Democratic senator from New York being in their camp, their cause is lost. :neener:

Right now, I'm saving my money for after the current run on guns peters out. When that happens, you're going to see some deals of a lifetime on guns and ammo.:D

Boba Fett
February 25, 2009, 05:25 PM
As I was perusing the firearms at the local Academy store, I overheard the salesman talking with a guy who just bought an LCP. They were talking about the possibility of a gun ban.

The salesman (a wiser older gentleman who has been there for years and whose opinions I generally agree with), said that with a bad economy, the firearms industry is one of the few that is not laying anyone off and is showing record profits. So any bans or restrictions on the industry would hurt the economy, and Obama needs to be able to show a strong economy, so we shouldn't worry.

IMHO, his logic is sound, but logic is seldom seen from liberals. Excuse the pun, but it would be just like the liberals to shoot themselves in the foot by passing legislation which would hurt the thriving firearms industry/economy just so they can advance their anti-gun nonsense.

I agree with others above that the legislation will likely be a while in coming, but it will come and I too am ready.

My prediction is it will happen after the congressional elections.

Dorkfish
February 25, 2009, 05:31 PM
Get that interview (link) and post it up in a hurry! I'll post it up on missouricarry.com

We've called Holder a liar based on his Heller vs. DC brief and he's wanting a "sneaky" AWB that will give him the ability to ban any firearm at will. Read the Brady proposal and the Blair Holt accountability act. This stuff's scary.

I've said it before and I'll keep on preaching it, we're headed for a Civil War and fast. When members of the military won't follow the President's orders becuase he refuses to prove his eligibility to hold our highest office and 20 states are filing for States rights, we're headed down a bad road.

Presidential candidtate promised he could fix the economy...people believed and were lied to.

Pres signed a pork-filled stimulus plan, then said "We need to cut spending".

Pres appoints tax-evaders to seats on the hill (full well knowing they had evaded taxes and won't admit it).

Pres refuses to produce citizenship documents (bc and passport history).

Pres appoints Mr. Gun Ban (Eric Holder) to the USAG seat full well knowing that he made the statement: The 2nd Amendment was meant for State militias, not the individual right to bear arms. Heller vs. DC brief.

Several Dems submitted Ammo coding bills, ammo accountability bills, microstamping bills, gun bans, etc which resulted in an explosion in the gun market.

Pres made the statement in October that we needed: A civilian national security force as equally funded and equipped as our current military. Why? Because he can't use the military against the people without Congress! So he can't take our guns without a major ban and a civilian authority to collect them.

Several Illinois politicians keep getting into hot water and/or submitting bs garbage legislation.

Reverse racism is abound...believe it or not? A white male Army lieutennant refused to follow Obama's orders based on his failure to provide citizenship docs (bc and passport history). His legitimate claim to be: I had to provide proof of citizenship to enter the military, so why should our Commander in Chief be exempt from something written in the Constituion. He shouldn't.

Travis Bickle
February 25, 2009, 05:33 PM
That "border safety" crap is just the handiest excuse at the moment.

My favorite one was when they told us we needed to ban black rifles and close down gun shows in order to keep guns out of the hands of Al-Qaeda. As if an international terrorist syndicate needs to go to a gun show in Podunk, Arizona to get guns.

yokel
February 25, 2009, 05:33 PM
We'll find out just how brittle and precarious the Bill of Rights truly is if the mass firearms and bomb attack will be tactics of choice for the next 9/11.

SrDedosRapidos
February 25, 2009, 05:36 PM
I agree with dorkfish.

Theres a civil war coming. Its going to be 10x uglier than the first.

Average Joe
February 25, 2009, 05:41 PM
I think they have their hands full with just keeping our country from financial collapse.

2RCO
February 25, 2009, 05:45 PM
Yokel I agree 100% if we see something like Mumbai here RTKBA as we know it will quickly erode away to nothing.

Let's try and avoid the whole scenario of a civil war though guys. Maybe instead lets vote to put the right people in Congress in 2 years.

MikePGS
February 25, 2009, 05:47 PM
That's strange, I always thought Mexico was responsible for Mexico's problems. I must have missed the section of the constitution where it talks about being the worlds policeman and altering our own laws to benefit those of another nation.

2RCO
February 25, 2009, 05:58 PM
Mike it's in the fine print and written in an ancient language that no conservative or libertarian can understand. However our President, Sarah Brady and folks like PETA members can see it clearly when they pretend to read the Constitution.

Zangetsu
February 25, 2009, 06:26 PM
He did not say when but he did say it is going to happen to prevent arms from getting over the border to mexican gangs.

I love how no one ever calls these clowns on changing their stories to fit their agenda. A few weeks after Heller went through I read something on the BBC website about how good 'ol #2 was causing mexican gangs to get their hot little hands on all the fun stuff, the fun stuff being full auto P90s and other stuff that is completely and totally impossible for American civilians to own. The article even went as far as to say that the influx of those weapons were coming from crooked cops in Texas, which is not really a matter of our RTKBA, and more a matter of a) cops being elite citizens and having access to pretty much anything they want and b) abusing that privilege. More gun control, especially of the AWB variety, will do nothing...but of course, we all know that already. I really wish I could turn invisible so I could walk around D.C. kicking these idiots square in the junk whenever they decide to spread stupid all over the place, but then I'd probably end up with an overuse injury to my knee...

SrDedosRapidos
February 25, 2009, 06:47 PM
Let's try and avoid the whole scenario of a civil war though guys. Maybe instead lets vote to put the right people in Congress in 2 years.

You ever heard of GOOH? http://goooh.com/

BHO isnt the problem, its definitely congress. They have failed miserably to do their job and have outlived their stay in our house. It needs to be run by real people instead of career politicians.

Jeff White
February 25, 2009, 07:00 PM
There will be no talk of civil war here. You all are free to open a new thread and as long as you can keep all the tin foil hat ranting out it can remain open.

You need to remember where you are. This is THR an politics is off topic.

If you enjoyed reading about "forthcoming ban" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!