Yugo Mauser safety stuck in left position...

PDA

JDNJ1985
February 25, 2009, 07:06 PM
Hey guys,

I just picked up my 24/47 Mauser yesterday. It looks pretty good. The bolt and action are real nice and tight. Metal looks new.

One problem...My safety is stuck in the left position. It has a bit of play, but simply will not budge any further. The rifle has a decent amount of cosmoline in it.

Would this affect the safety to such a degree? Gonna try some WD-40 and see if it helps.

thanks

-Joe

If you enjoyed reading about "Yugo Mauser safety stuck in left position..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NCsmitty
February 25, 2009, 07:11 PM
Have you tried cocking the rifle and flipping the safety to the right? Or is it rusted in position?

NCsmitty

JDNJ1985
February 25, 2009, 07:29 PM
Yep, I had tried that previously. It was stuck very well.

I sprayed a good amount of WD-40 in there and with some elbow grease I was able to move it to the middle and right. Considerable elbow grease I might add lol.

The safety functions as it should, but still is extremely hard to move from the left position when I move it back.

I'm going to spend a weekend taking her apart, cleaning all the cosmoline out, and doing a proper cleaning. Maybe that will help.

If it happens that it's rusted, would a good gunsmith be able to take care of that?

It's my first bolt action rifle.

thanks!

-Joe

rcmodel
February 25, 2009, 07:35 PM
There is very little on a Mauser you can't do yourself.

Once you get it completely stripped and get all the dried cosmoline out of there it will probably be fine.

It may be that the spring & plunger are "hydraulic locked" with the hole full of cosmoline. Can't compress the plunger in the hole if the hole is full of stiff grease.

JDNJ1985
February 25, 2009, 07:46 PM
Ah I see...thanks for the reply!

I plan on removing the cosmoline with a hand steamer as per the surplus rifle website. Then I will maybe boil bolt assembly.

I will probably soak the barrel in some type of solvent...Does this sound like an ok plan?

thanks

-Joe

dfariswheel
February 25, 2009, 08:36 PM
Whatever gets the old grease out is Okay.
I recommend greasing the bolt internals and outside.

Note that many surplus Mauser's have mis-matched or worn bolt and trigger parts, and it's not uncommon to find that the safety is extremely hard to get on, or even impossible.
The problem is either a worn or mis-matched cocking piece on the bolt, or the trigger "box" is.
This allows the cocking piece to sit too far forward, and the safety simply can't get in front of the cocking piece to force it to the rear into the safety position.

If after cleaning and light greasing the safety is still hard to operate, you may need to replace the cocking piece and/or the trigger "box".

JDNJ1985
February 25, 2009, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the info!

-Joe

JonB
February 25, 2009, 10:50 PM
go check out surplusrifles.com. You'll find a great set of instructions and pictures to do a complete tear down and reassembly. Clean all the parts very thoroughly before you put it back together and I'd bet you will have no issues. That nasty cosmoline packed inside there is likely an issue.

My 24/47 took some serious scrubbing on the bolt parts to get it all out. Soak it in paint thinner or similar to help make sure it's all out of there.

tube_ee
February 26, 2009, 03:42 AM
as fully as you can figure out. surplusrifle.com's instructions are pretty good.

Boil it for at least 30 minutes.

Yes.

I said "boil your gun".

No, I haven't been drinking. <gets beer> OK, that's better.

When you pull the metal parts out of the boiling water, they'll dry all by themselves, almost instantly. And they'll be all shiny and clean. Boiling water cuts cosmoline like a chainsaw through a wedding cake.

I'd spray everything down with WD40 while it's still hot. Not as a lubricant, because it isn't one, but as a rust preventative, which it is. Let it cool and wipe off the excess.

Blued parts will often get a light surface rust when boiled, but it wipes off with just a cloth, and leaves no trace. Stainless, no worries.

This also works on black powder revolvers, although I do two boils, one with soap, then a scrub of the bore and cylinder, and boil in clean water. Dry at 250 for 30 minutes and WD40 while hot. No fuss, no muss, no rust.

--Shannon

JDNJ1985
February 26, 2009, 08:54 PM
Shannon,

Thanks for the info!

Should I just boil the bolt or the receiver as well?

What is safe to use on the stock for removing the cosmoline?

thanks

-joe

NCsmitty
February 26, 2009, 09:13 PM
I believe dfariswheel is on the right track. The firing pin may be worn on the inner stop causing the cocking piece to sit just a little bit forward of where it needs to be. The safety cam is not grabbing the slot in the cocking piece properly. I'll bet if you grab the back of the cocking piece with padded pliers and pull it back a little, the safety will likely flip on easily. Try it and see.
This situation is not uncommon.

NCsmitty

JDNJ1985
February 26, 2009, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the info! I will try that.

Do you guys think the hand steamer will damage my rifle stock? Or is it ok to take some of the cosmoline out?

My plan:

Tare apart the rifle, hand steam all metal parts, use Ed's Red to remove the rest. Should I still boil the bolt??

Stock: Hand steam and wipe away.

Sound ok?

thanks

-Joe

ndh87
February 26, 2009, 09:30 PM
I had an M48 Mauser that had the same problem. The safety was stuck in the fire position, never bothered me any.

Mineral spirits work well for getting rid of cosmo too.

JDNJ1985
February 26, 2009, 10:18 PM
Will mineral spirits damage the stock?

Is it important to remove the cosmo from the pores of the wood?

-Joe

308sc
February 27, 2009, 12:38 AM
depends if It has shellac or lacquer on it. If it does then yes it will take it off.

Funderb
February 27, 2009, 12:44 AM
they are pretty hard to manipulate.
just push on it harder.

If you enjoyed reading about "Yugo Mauser safety stuck in left position..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!