Taurus PT1911

PDA

Flea
February 25, 2009, 09:00 PM
I've fallen in love with this gun. I like the way it looks, love the feel of a good 1911, and I like the 8+1 capacity. I've found a new blued one with the straight-8 sights for $520 + FFL costs. Does this seem reasonable? I can't say I've researched much into them -- if you own one, would you recommend it and do you like the way it shoots?

My 1911 experience comes from Kimbers mostly. A close friend has a Kimber 1911 Officer's model with (I believe) a 3 or 4" barrel. I liked it, but I like a larger gun, so the 5" is fine with me (I currently carry a Glock 17).

Opinions?

If you enjoyed reading about "Taurus PT1911" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MT GUNNY
February 25, 2009, 10:13 PM
Hit and Miss Mostly Hit. and When its a hit They are Great pistols.

Do a search on it here at at THR you will find lots of info, Both Ways!

I don't Own one, but I do plan on getting one for the Truck!!

KC0QGL
February 25, 2009, 10:19 PM
$520 + FFL costs

I'll be getting one Friday. $544 nib. I can't wait.

How much is the FFL fee?

Flea
February 25, 2009, 10:32 PM
I don't know -- to be honest, I've not called around to get rates, but I wouldn't imagine they would be too expensive with the virtual plethora of gun shops in this area.

All my purchases have been in-store or at a gun show. I've not ordered something and had it delivered before.

Retro
February 25, 2009, 10:32 PM
The receiver is forged and not cast, worksmanship can be a bit rough on the minor details but it is a solidly built pistol with good accuracy. I switched out the factory stainless barrel with a Jarvis stainless Bull barrel, and it shoots 1 inch groups at 15 yards.

Mitch from LA
February 25, 2009, 10:43 PM
I love mine. It sounds like you're getting a decent deal on it. Congrats.

wrc376
February 25, 2009, 10:47 PM
I know a few guys that have them and they are quite happy

Flea
February 25, 2009, 10:48 PM
Haven't gotten it yet... but it's about as certain as gravity at this point.:D

Edit: it was a picture of one with American Pachmayer grips that pushed me over the edge. I may still look at some other 1911's if my local place has any in stock. However, I'm used to a "wonder 9" and currently have 51 rounds of 9mm on me when I carry. I guess it takes a while when you upgrade to a "big boy gun" in a "big boy caliber."

HippieMagic
February 25, 2009, 11:15 PM
there is a guy near here trying to sell my friend one for $200 so I am wondering if it is a miss haha...

wrc376
February 25, 2009, 11:34 PM
parts alone on that oughta be worth 200 bucks. ill buy it

bozzman3
February 26, 2009, 08:37 PM
I would still buy it for $200!!

doubleh
February 26, 2009, 10:42 PM
My grandson has one and I have one. All I can tell you is they both work and work well. I would certainly buy another if I thought I needed another 1911. I gave $529 for mine and it had both the plastic and checkered wood grips.

possum
February 26, 2009, 11:50 PM
i have heard good things. imho it is probally the best thing that taurus has done in a long time, offering the 1911.

GRIZ22
February 27, 2009, 01:04 AM
My PT1911 is one of the best gun deals I've ever made. I've had mine for 3 years zero problems eats any ammo I feed it.

Put me in line for that $200 PT1911. I can use another.

dwave
February 27, 2009, 08:14 AM
I have one. I fitted a new thumb safety because the old one kept wanting to come apart. Everything is flawless now. Just for the record, I probably would have changed out the safety anyways, I am not that big on ambi safeties.

TimboKhan
February 27, 2009, 10:38 AM
I owned one and was very satisfied with it. I needed some money so I sold a couple of guns off, and it came down to the Taurus and my good old Ruger P90. As much as I liked the Taurus and as reliable as it had been for me, the Ruger has been with me so long that I can't imagine not owning it. Still, at some point I would like to pick up another PT1911, as I really did like the gun. I also really, really liked the straight 8 sights. Those seem to be a love/hate sort of thing for people, but I think they are fantastic.

Olympus
February 27, 2009, 11:36 AM
I really like mine too. I just had to have one when they first came out and I really wanted the stainless but they were so hard to come by that I settled for the blued. I'd like to trade my blued for a stainless, but most people with the stainless aren't wanting to get rid of them.

PT1911
February 27, 2009, 11:16 PM
only one thing to say about the pt1911... GREAT... this was my second handgun purchase (first being a p22) and I have loved every moment I have spent shooting it. the only hiccup has been with the ambi safety, but that was an easy fix. though I would recommend getting a good set of wooden grips for it as the black plastics just do not do justice to the gun. Personally I think the gun would sell for another 50 to 100 easily with a 40 dollar set of grips. It is a great purchase. I doubt you, or anyone for that matter, will be disappointed with it. I cant find any ammo to make the thing jam.. I think it would feed a rubber boot.

If you enjoyed reading about "Taurus PT1911" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!