Good news for Wal-Mart ammo customers

PDA

cratti
February 25, 2009, 10:24 PM
Wal-Mart (at least the one I work at, as well as several others -- probably the ones that still sell guns) is now expanding its selection of reloading equipment to include more primers, powder, presses, dies, and rifle/pistol bullets. Be on the lookout for this within the next month or two.

If you enjoyed reading about "Good news for Wal-Mart ammo customers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cliffy
February 25, 2009, 10:33 PM
I find Wal-Mart falling behind other ma-and-pa local firearm stores. Wal-Mart is very convenient to shop, but their sporting goods selection dwindles each year, whether fishing or hunting supplies. cliffy

Yo Mama
February 25, 2009, 10:34 PM
Yeah, but now you get videotaped and have to sign for all gun purchases. No thanks. Really, I love/hate Walmart, but more and more lately I only support the local gun shop. If anything, it seems like reloading stuff is plentiful lately.

cratti
February 25, 2009, 10:49 PM
reloading equipment is in high demand around here lately (as in, we're selling primers by the case -- not the brick), and Wal-Mart has some pretty good prices on primers (about $31 for 1000 noncorrosive CCI primers - any size but magnum rifle or shotgun) compared to gun shops. That said, prices may be better online but frankly, after paying for hazmat, it's more expensive to shop online. Plus, some places don't HAVE real gun shops in town, and as such, they're forced to travel long distances just to get their hands on stuff like that. Figured, in any case, that some people would appreciate knowing about it.

On a side note, don't take it personally, but as much as I hate all the corporate BS and stupid managers, please do not speak ill of my job. Do not assume that all Wal-Mart sporting goods associates are idiots. I don't talk crap about anyone's job. We do what we can in order to do what we need to.

22-rimfire
February 25, 2009, 11:00 PM
You may be surprised how many Mom & Pop gun shops video tape their stores as a security precaution.

SaxonPig
February 25, 2009, 11:02 PM
In the 1990s I lived in a tiny rural town with no gun shops. The Wal-Mart there did sell reloading supplies but I have seen or heard of another doing so.

cratti
February 25, 2009, 11:03 PM
You may be surprised how many Mom & Pop gun shops video tape their stores as a security precaution.
And you'd be absolutely appalled if you knew just how many places make you sign a form when you buy a firearm...

rogerjames
February 25, 2009, 11:15 PM
Video tape the **** outta me, I don't care just have some ammo. Went to my local Walmart 2 days ago, shelves empty... asked the attendant if they were no longing selling or just out... gotta I'm not sure response, but was told that they are just out:(

cratti
February 25, 2009, 11:27 PM
Well, yeah, it's hard to determine the status of the merchandise when the warehouses are out. Took us 3 weeks just to get ANY 9mm ammo in, and we sold 20 cases in under a week. Sold 184 boxes myself to one customer.

Ben86
February 25, 2009, 11:39 PM
184 boxes! Some people are really preparing for armagedon. I wish they would set a limit. Everything has been out in the wharehouse forever. They're not sure why, maybe a changover for new products+panic buying.

I'd never buy a gun from walmart. They are too anti-gun plus they don't offer any type of warranty like my local gun shops offer. I don't mind buying their cheap target ammo, even though that is getting increasingly difficult to do.

It's good to know they may be picking up reloading supplies. With everyone buying the manufactured stuff up I really want to get into it soon.

Mini30
February 25, 2009, 11:42 PM
Funny thing is, *ALL* our local suppliers of ammo and shooting supplies are at the bottom of their supplies; and the incoming shipments sell out in a day or two. My two closest WalMarts and the Big 5 are out of clays. WB 9mm and .45 are gone. The 2 Walmarts, the Big 5 and the local M&P gun store are out of .44 Mag. (I haven't checked the local Ace Hdwr yet).

My co-workers report travelling 1-1/2 hours to Roswell to get their pistol fodder. Even the Lubbock Gander Mtn has been out of .410 buckshot loads every time I've checked in the last year.

We are buying out the supplies; the ammo manufacterers just can't pump it out fast enough for two wars and panic-buying on the homefront.

M40A1
February 25, 2009, 11:46 PM
At least the stimulus plan is helping the ammo manufacturers!

22lr
February 25, 2009, 11:51 PM
WOW, I went to 2 wal-marts today and both had completely full ammo cases. I help em out with that problem though.:D First time ive seen a stocked wal-mart case in a long time. It would be very nice if they started to sell Primers.

Harve Curry
February 26, 2009, 12:13 AM
Where is "around here"? It would be helpful if we knew where?

cratti
February 26, 2009, 02:44 AM
Ben86: Nothin' but the manufacturer warranty. Kinda sucks, but that's how it goes. Only reason I've considered picking up a gun from work is because I'd get a 10% discount. Then again. That same discount applies to regular-price ammo, as well. So that cheap target ammo is even cheaper, too!

Mini30: Right on all fronts! .44 Magnum ammunition is generally fairly popular right now, though the big sellers (in order from most to least popular) are:
.380 Auto
9x19mm Parabellum/9mm Luger
.223 Remington
.357 Magnum
.38SPL +P
.45ACP
.410 Slug and 00/000bk
12ga Slug/00bk, 3" shells.

Basically, they're going for whatever they think is most lethal, in event of a civil war/uprising/whatever. It's the person behind the trigger that determines the lethality. Most customers believe that since the 5.56x45NATO cartridge was derived from the .223Rem, they've got the deadliest gun in the world.
On that same token, it always cracks me up to see people come in saying that "the government can TRY and take [their] guns, but they'll never win that shootout."
Excuse me? If the government sent in militant forces to apprehend gun owners or confiscate guns they wouldn't be sending in idiots; they'd be sending in trained units. Moreover, one man can't hold off an entire squad no matter how many boxes of ammo he bought for his .380. You're outmanned, outgunned, and obviously outsmarted.

M40A1 I've been saying since November that Obama should threaten to tax or outlaw every item, one by one (mind you, not really taxing or banning a single thing) in order to stimulate the economy.

.22LR Get friendly with that store's sporting goods Department Manager. With luck, they can special order primers for you.

Harve Curry Sorry. Abilene, Texas.

Well, that's my rant for the night.

Freezebyte
February 26, 2009, 02:46 AM
This is why my Wal-Marts are now limiting 2 boxes per person, no exceptions

cratti
February 26, 2009, 02:49 AM
When did they start this? That's news to me.

andcam
February 26, 2009, 04:26 AM
Walmart has primers and powder?!?! Does anyone know if that's just in select stores? I don't think any of the Walmarts here in Colorado have them...but then again I've never looked.

230RN
February 26, 2009, 04:38 AM
Where is "around here"? It would be helpful if we knew where?

This location deal is a persistent problem, and not only WRT shopping for gun-related stuff, but also when someone's talking about their local laws, among other things.

"My local Walmart is giving away free ammo for a year with every gun purchased."

"My PD issues free 9mm ammo to all law-abiding citizens in its jurisdiction."

C'mon, folks, at least give an approximate location in your posts, if not in your profile.

Terry, 230RN

NC-Mike
February 26, 2009, 08:11 AM
I would rather pay double than buy _anything_ in a WalMart.

statelineblues
February 26, 2009, 08:21 AM
Went to my local WallyWorld yesterday (Waterford, CT) and the ammo shelves were empty except for some .22 short, .270 Win., and one lone box of WWB .357 mag.

ny32182
February 26, 2009, 08:26 AM
I've never bought a gun at walmart, but I do buy WWB 9mm, birdshot 12ga loads, the occasional box of hunting rifle ammo, paper targets, and cleaning supplies with a fair degree of regularity.

I've never found it worth the time/money to reload 9mm, but if the WWB continues to rise in price ($22 per 100 right now?) I may have to re-examine the economics of that situation. I already handload almost all my rifle ammo.

I've never seen any reloading supplies or per-customer purchase limits at walmart around here (Greenville, SC area). If they started carrying components I like at prices less than I pay now, I would probably start buying. I do like to support the local gun shop(s) as well.

Deltaboy
February 26, 2009, 08:30 AM
Wal marts in Eastern Ark have way more guns, realoading ect than we have here south of Fort Worth TX.
This past Sat my local WM was nearly out of 22 rifles and any 9mm or 40 cal. I left them with just 2 boxes of Blazer Brass 40 cal.

Just One Shot
February 26, 2009, 08:33 AM
I went yesterday, No .380, No 9mm and No .40 S&W! :uhoh: :( :barf:

Walkalong
February 26, 2009, 08:42 AM
184 boxes! .......... I wish they would set a limitNot I, sell away!

I buy .22 LR at Walmart. I need to pick up some more soon. :)

And you'd be absolutely appalled if you knew just how many places make you sign a form when you buy a firearm... That was good stuff. LOL

MADDOG
February 26, 2009, 09:02 AM
I bought 500 LP primers for $15 at a Wal Mart last Saturday. I don't get over there very often but when I do I check and restock. I stopped at a small gun shop yesterday and he wanted $40 per 1000. Go figure.

KarenTOC
February 26, 2009, 09:35 AM
Why is Walmart considered anti-gun? Is it because they don't stock a lot of gun stuff and they walk you out the door?

My Walmart only seems to stock stuff that moves super fast. They stopped selling my favorite kleenex, baggies, shoe polish, and a number of other less popular items I used to buy all the time. They also slashed the amount of shelf space devoted to shooting accesories by about 75%

Maybe they're not anti-gun; just anti-inventory?

btw: I like Walmart

Cajun Glocker
February 26, 2009, 09:48 AM
Mind doesn't sell reloading equipment.

cratti
February 26, 2009, 11:22 AM
Like I said, if your wal-mart doesn't carry reloading equipment, talk to the department manager about it, and see what, if anything, can be arranged.

Average Joe
February 26, 2009, 05:24 PM
Go Walmart, My Hero !

ZXD9
February 26, 2009, 05:58 PM
We don't have reloading stuff here either. Sure wish we did. We hardly have any ammo. I went by tonight and they pretty much had .22LR, .44 and a couple boxes of .40. I asked how much they get at a time and she said, "A couple boxes." No wonder I can never get any.

gvnwst
February 26, 2009, 06:36 PM
Wait, walmart sells reloading stuff?!?!?!?!?! I really wish they did, it would be a lot cheaper than driving a hour and going to the gander mtn....

solareclipse
February 26, 2009, 06:58 PM
The only thing in the local walmarts there is are crickets in the sporting department....... By the time i drag someone out to their workstation, i might as well go and ore my own lead and brass and refine it

Yo Mama
February 26, 2009, 09:07 PM
Do not assume that all Wal-Mart sporting goods associates are idiots. I don't talk crap about anyone's job. We do what we can in order to do what we need to.

Not my intention, or wording. I respect any working man or woman. I just do not appreciate action taken by this company in the Sportingoods department.

February 26, 2009, 09:44 PM
My observations ; about two weeks ago went to WalMart . Ammo on shelves ; one box .243 Winchester , two boxes .270 Win. one box .40 S&W , assorted twelve gauge 1 1/8th oz. 7 1/2 shot brands Rem , Fed. , Win . Maybe a grand total of 50-60 boxes of those . One box .22LR .

Went back the next night ; shelves stocked pretty good with at least a few items , 100rd. WWB .45 & 9mm . Much more Shotgun ammo and much more .22 ammo .

Anyways here's the funny part , after I grabbed as much as I could afford there since they had it , about a $100 worth , I decide to drive down the road a ways and check another WalMart location . Not only did they have a much more thorough selection of Ammo , but it was all about 10% cheaper than what I had just Paid . Some of it was a full 20% cheaper .

Now around here , NE Ohio , Walmarts don't sell guns anymore , and reloading equipment I suppose will only be found in those areas where they feel will have a much larger percentage of their customer base being from Ammo and Gun sales receipts in the past . So if your local WalMart sells guns , and they sell a lot of them , then they may start to carry reloading gear and/or supplies as well . However if your in an area where they have already ceased selling Guns , then don't expect to see any such items taking up any of their ' inventory space ' there .

Also in a related note I heard from a fellow who has been calling the three major Ammunition Mfrs .about the supply problem ; They've been telling him for about a year now , that the Gov't has contracted for huge runs , in all of the popular calibers that are in short supply , and that their orders are filled before the civilian market .
I know another fellow who just told me his brother works at the Remington Plant in Arkansas , and he says their running at full capacity trying to fill these orders .
Have heard this from various sources , that the Gov't has been buying Ammo in never heard of before quantities .

bannockburn
February 26, 2009, 10:17 PM

Kind of mirrors my experience at some of the local Walmarts. Maybe 10 to 15 miles difference between locations; Federal Champion .22LR at $1.47 at one store, $1.77 at another. Federal .22LR 550 bulk pack $13.47, next store it's $14.47. And they all seem to get restocked at the same time. Sort of like feast or famine around here when it comes to ammo and its availability.

TG13
February 26, 2009, 11:19 PM
i just went to my local WalMart (77346-2613) and it's bare except for 12ga and 7mm-06 and lots of .22LR.. no shortage of .22..

but everything else is gone.. bare shelves..

i just wanted one 100 box of WWB .45ACP.. cripes..

Evenflo76
February 27, 2009, 12:29 AM
I have not seen reloading equipment in Florida Wal Marts. I wish they would sell it.

Either that or I may have to move to Texas sooner than I thought.

atlanticfire
February 27, 2009, 12:32 AM
Tomorrow I make my walmart rounds since its pay day, I've got 4 stores within 50 miles.

possum
February 27, 2009, 12:37 AM
that is good to hear, it is hard to believe but hey that is good if true. the thing is they can't even keep ammo in stock that they normally would carry, hopefully they will be abel to get more stuff, and higher quanities especially at my local wal mart.

cratti
February 27, 2009, 01:45 AM
Bad news. Talked to one of the co-managers today and they said ours is one of 190 or so stores to actually have reloading equipment regularly, and it's something of an experiment. Since primers and powder have been in such high demand they're planning to give us a full selection. However, these are expected to be high-cost, slow-selling items. Though, given the current "crisis," we'll see how it goes. That said, talking to the DM and seeing what they can do for you (go ahead and call your local store[s] and just ask to be put through to the sporting goods department, then ask to talk to the department manager. Be polite, their job kind of sucks.) is still worth a shot. Maybe you can get them to order you a few bricks of primers or a case of brass or bullets. See how their prices compare.

hometheaterman
February 28, 2009, 12:12 PM
I've only been to one store I can think of that has reloading supplies that I've seen anyway.

I've seen the shortage of ammo though. Anything in popular caliber seems to be sold out soon after they get it here.

Crow1108
February 28, 2009, 12:29 PM
Probably heavily dependent upon where the Walmarts are located. I've known of a couple that don't even stock hunting rifles.

searcher451
February 28, 2009, 12:36 PM
I'll believe it when I see it, and I doubt that I'll see it anytime soon. The local WallyWorld hasn't had a decent supply of ammo of any stripe inside the shelves in weeks. The guys who work in the department could take an extended leave of absence and wouldn't be missed, by customers or store personnel. I haven't been able to buy 9mm for almost three months and counting.

cratti
March 1, 2009, 02:00 AM
You are aware that it's not by fault of the associates? I personally ordered 20 cases of EVERYTHING tonight. Probably won't see it for another three months.

ScottsGT
March 1, 2009, 02:41 PM
price comparisons please!

akodo
March 1, 2009, 03:21 PM

This is video tape taken in case they are robbed or have a problem with shopliftes. If they are not robbed, the tape is never used, and is recorded over.

Wal-Mart, on the other hand, in addition to it's normal video survellance to deal with the store being robbed or shop lifters, is running a SECOND video tape system, aimed at GUN PURCHASERS ONLY, and where the video is perminantly stored to be used for later prosecution.

It's a registration scheme, it just isn't done by the government...even though it is done on behalf of the government.

MAURICE
March 1, 2009, 03:47 PM
I had no idea Wal-Mart carries reloading supplies. None of the stores around here do. I did just pick up a little ammo today, though. They got in .22,9,40, and .45 last night. I bought a bunch of .22. Most everything else they got in last night was gone already. They did have .357 sig left. Should have bought it up. 7 mag, 30-06, etc. were plentiful. .223 was nonexistent. Plenty of 12 and 20 ga, did not notice any buckshot/slugs.

Oh, btw Winchester xpert HV 500 rnds was 12.97 plus tax. I am thinking about going and getting the rest of it. .357 sig was 23.97/50. 7mag varied between 26 to 40 bucks/20. Don't recall everything else. These are just my most fired/common calibers.

Sixtigers
March 1, 2009, 04:09 PM
The Wally I shop at has been low on ammo for several months now. It is NOT the fault of the Wally personnel: In fact, the sporting goods manager, a delightful woman, gives me 10% off when I order cases of ammo from her. That's 10% off of what is already the lowest price in town. I have no problem with her.

The problem is still us. When I walked into Walmart with my wife yesterday, I (as is my habit) checked the ammo counter first thing--and they had .22LR! In 550 packs! True, it was the Federal stuff, and I greatly prefer the Remmington, but hey--beggars can't be choosers. Must've had 10 boxes or so behind the counter. Sweet!

We had come in for a battery for the wife's Harley (yeah, I know...what does that say about us? LOL!) and I thought it'd be more convenient to pay for everything at once, so we got the battery first. Took about two minutes to get the battery. By the time we got back to the ammo counter (right next to the battery shelves), an individual was just laying out his credit card to pay for every last box of .22 the store had. Darn!

This didn't make me angry (I actually started putting ammo away 2 years ago), as I feel that it belongs to whoever gets there first--but the two men that came up to the counter behind us, also looking for .22 ammo, didn't feel that way. They made some rather inappropriate comments, loudly of course, and continued to give both the buyer and the counterman the stinkeye while they bitterly complained about not having any .22 ammo to shoot (our whole town is out). These individuals weren't very concerned about the public image of shooters/gun owners--that was abundantly clear.

The good thing about the ammo shortage? My wife thought I was nuts when I started stockpiling ammo away two years ago. Now she's sincerely relieved.

...Just something to think about...if people are this upset about not being able to buy ammo for a Saturday afternoon's plinking, what is it going to be like if there's ever a more dire need for ammo, and none is available? Seems only smart to keep rounds on hand for your firearms. I don't know about all of y'all, but I personally have quite a few friends who have firearms, and do not normally keep bullets for those guns. Ammo is purchased when they go shooting, and then is all shot up at the range. Are a lot of folks like that?

SpecialKalltheway
March 1, 2009, 04:19 PM
I have a healthy stock pile of ammo, but I still go and buy my ammo that I am going to use for practice/fun when I plan on shooting it. I don't want to use my stock pile in case I really need it one day. I'd be pissed if I shot off even some of my stock and found out that I needed every single last bullet I have the next day.

If I can't buy ammo that day to go shoot for fun/practice then I don't go shoot.

also my Wal-Mart started limiting each person to only 5 boxs person person per sale.

22-rimfire
March 1, 2009, 04:43 PM
Wal-Mart started limiting each person to only 5 boxs person person per sale.

I hope they don't do that where I shop, but it would not surprise me. From their perspective, I guess they know that they are going to sell the ammunition. Things will change in a few months.

MPCO
March 1, 2009, 04:46 PM
That's absolutely terrifying. What's next........ Oh wait, we all already know the answer to that. Buy your 5 boxes a day while you still can I guess.:D

22-rimfire
March 1, 2009, 04:54 PM
Sounds almost like one gun a month or the DC thing where you can only have "registered ammunition".

It's UnAmerican. We are used to being fat and happy. Obama is all about change and he doesn't want us fat and happy.

Geronimo45
March 1, 2009, 04:56 PM
Right on all fronts! .44 Magnum ammunition is generally fairly popular right now, though the big sellers (in order from most to least popular) are:
.380 Auto
9x19mm Parabellum/9mm Luger
.223 Remington
.357 Magnum
.38SPL +P
.45ACP
.410 Slug and 00/000bk
12ga Slug/00bk, 3" shells.
.380's the most popular? Seriously?

That's very interesting.

Wal-Mart started limiting each person to only 5 boxs person person per sale.
Everybody hates a hoarder.

subierex
March 1, 2009, 05:30 PM
Interesting when you go look for components online, even places like Midway are all backordered on bullets.

As it is, any time I'm in Wallyworld (rare), I buy a couple 550 rd boxes of Fed .22lr. Just in case, don'tcha know. Everything else I homegrow.

Mini30
March 1, 2009, 08:44 PM
Special K: Are you rotating stock? As in mark the new ammo with date purchased, and shoot up your older ammo of the same caliber?

have a healthy stock pile of ammo, but I still go and buy my ammo that I am going to use for practice/fun when I plan on shooting it. I don't want to use my stock pile in case I really need it one day.

John E.
March 1, 2009, 09:05 PM
Just bought ammo from our Nacogdoches Wal-Mart yesterday. Looked like the fellow ahead of me had bought up all the .45 they had in stock and would have bought .223, but all they had left in stock was the $2.00/bang 'ballistic' stuff.

I bought their last box of Remington 7.62 x 39 and a 550 count box of Federal 22 LR.

Next time I go in, I'll ask if they are going to be selling reloading supplies. I think our neck of East Texas would be a good market for that.

SpecialKalltheway
March 1, 2009, 09:10 PM
yeah I always rotate out every so often. I don't let any of my ammo get older than 2 years old with shifting it around. I know it can last a lot longer than that, but keeping the rotation going makes sure I don't miss any boxes. Being poor and Jobless has slowed down the process quite a bit though.

cratti
March 2, 2009, 01:45 AM
Geronimo45 Yeah, .380 is popular right now because everyone's buying pocket pistols for concealed carry. They're convinced by having a concealed carry permit/concealed weapon they're capable of fighting our tyrannical government. :rolleyes:

homers
March 2, 2009, 12:31 PM
I talked with the walmart employee in sporting goods (he's into guns and we talk). He said the local gun ranges show up every morning and buy a lot of whatever they have that's in a popular round. They then mark it up and sell it to the people who shoot at the range. It doesn't leave much for the regular Joe coming in to buy a box or two.

Ragnar Danneskjold
March 2, 2009, 02:14 PM
I've never seen a Wal Mart in my life that sold reloading stuff.

jnyork
March 2, 2009, 02:25 PM
Most Walmarts in Wyoming sell reloading components, as well as rifles, ammo and accessories.

If you enjoyed reading about "Good news for Wal-Mart ammo customers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!