Kimber Custom II - is $500 a decent deal?

PDA

marktx
February 25, 2009, 11:03 PM
A guy at work is selling a Kimber Custom II.... don't really know much about it other than he had night sights added by a shop. He says he has only put a couple boxes through it and it's been pretty reliable other than an occasional stovepipe. He wants $500 for it, says he paid around $800 for it new.

I want a Springfield TRP but haven't talked myself into spending $1200.... figure that this thing might scratch the 1911 itch for a while. I have heard conflicting reports about Kimber quality and would just as rather avoid a "bargain" that is really a pain.

If you enjoyed reading about "Kimber Custom II - is $500 a decent deal?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kindrox
February 25, 2009, 11:16 PM
It sounds like a good price compared to a new one, but I'd take any Kimber to the range before buying it. Yes yes I know lots of folks have Kimbers and love them, but doggonit, twice now a guy next to me at the range has been shooting a 3" Kimber 45 and jamming every few rounds. It's a mental think I can't shake about 3" Kimbers.

tbtrout
February 25, 2009, 11:32 PM
For $500 I would buy it. After I asked why is he selling it so cheap?

wrc376
February 25, 2009, 11:39 PM
buy it, stovepipes can be fixed. common problems are ejector and extractor. it may be a really easy fix.

off hand i cant think of any "major" problem that would cause a stovepipe

shiftyer1
February 25, 2009, 11:52 PM
I've been trying to get a 500 dollar Kimber for quite awhile now. Everyone i've taked to that has one loves it. If your near austin let me know if you don't want it.

JDGray
February 26, 2009, 04:50 PM
a guy next to me at the range has been shooting a 3" Kimber 45 and jamming every few rounds.

The guy probably had a bad slide stop, like I did. The slide would lock every few rounds:cuss:

Yo Mama
February 26, 2009, 09:33 PM
Great price! Take to a Gunsmith to look over.

It's kinda lika used car. Normally I would say to do this, but 500 is low for this gun.

kamagong
February 26, 2009, 11:25 PM
That's a very good price, and I'd jump on it if the condition is good. Not only that, but because it is a used gun you can actually shoot it before you buy and make sure that it doesn't have any problems.

rbernie
February 26, 2009, 11:27 PM
That's a good price on a really decent pistol. I have been very happy with mine, so much so that it's in the EDC rotation.

possum
February 26, 2009, 11:36 PM
of all the kimber 1911's i have shot, and trained with which have been many of thier models, and a wide range of cost they have all been reliable, and accurate. I think the custom 2 is a good value in a 1911. i would buy it for that price.

glockman19
February 26, 2009, 11:55 PM
That's a great price on a good pistol. I have one...love it. Got it because the rental at the range had 70,000+ rounds through it and after a new barrel and some springs and it's running today with another 10,000 already through her.

If you enjoyed reading about "Kimber Custom II - is $500 a decent deal?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!