Switching a 16in Barrel for a 18in Barrel (AR15)

PDA

SudSlinger
February 26, 2009, 12:32 AM
I am thinking about switching the barrel on my ar15 to an 18in. Is it difficult to do? Does anyone have a recommendation on any barrels? Any advice at all is appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "Switching a 16in Barrel for a 18in Barrel (AR15)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
taliv
February 26, 2009, 12:44 AM
difficulty depends on how the gun is set up now. some brands are dramatically more difficult to disassemble than others.

i have 18" barrels on order from ABS and compass lake (douglas blank) that I'm hoping will be here next week.

it may take you six months, but white oak is an excellent source. i have built a couple guns on denny's 16" barrels. I know he has 18" ones too, and i'm sure they're decent, but very expensive for what they are.

KellyTTE
February 27, 2009, 01:29 PM
Basic barrel swap writeup:

http://www.ttellc.net/rraswap.htm

Omaha-BeenGlockin
February 27, 2009, 01:50 PM
Basic setup---the switch would be easy---would need new hand guards and gas tube along with the barrel-----might be able to re-use the roll pin, but I'd get a new one of those too.

If you enjoyed reading about "Switching a 16in Barrel for a 18in Barrel (AR15)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!