Suggestion: Moderate Faith-Related Discussion More

PDA

ZombiesAhead
February 26, 2009, 04:34 AM
This is not really technical but if I can get away with posting such a suggestions anywhere, I figured this would be the place.

Moderators are doing a really good job keeping politics out of threads/forums. It seems like religion is creates similar problems and yet there seem to be no rules even limiting such discussion besides "keep it vaguely gun-related."

I thought that threads like the recent notice (advertisement) for a "Christian-Only Gun Forum" have been just as divisive as politics. Moderators often have to delete many posts.

I have also seen posts that reference the Christian "End of Days" as a member's justification for preparedness. I think this is more faith-related than gun-related.

I suggest doing something about topics that are more about faith than guns because they lead to exclusion, deleting posts, and a double standard when it comes to ideologies (of politics, faith, philosophy, or other).

If you enjoyed reading about "Suggestion: Moderate Faith-Related Discussion More" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mp7
February 26, 2009, 04:41 AM
yep. Im with Zombie on this.

Christians can easily insult atheists
and atheists will not be quiet about it either.

No Gods, just Guns.

wrc376
February 26, 2009, 04:43 AM
Im with Zombie

bikerdoc
February 26, 2009, 07:37 AM
Simply solution is to hit the report button, fill out the PM with a reasonable, logical explaination and send. This will insure a mod or admin will make a decision based on that thread or post.

ZombiesAhead
February 26, 2009, 07:39 AM
'Tis a simply solution, bikerdoc, but it would be nice to have a policy akin to that which covers politics. Ideologies breed discrimination and discontent.

bikerdoc
February 26, 2009, 08:02 AM
Cant help with the policy part, that above my paygrade, but bring enough attention and somebody will decide something which might lead to what you want. Or pm a mod or admin and have good off line discussion. Wish you the best and thanks for being HIGHROAD

ilbob
February 26, 2009, 10:40 AM
people's reasons for owning guns and training with them would seem to be on target, even if religion bothers some.

if you are troubled by a specific poster's posts, you can add him to your "ignore" list and not be troubled by his posts ever again. Instead of seeing his post, you will see this message.

This message is hidden because XXXXXXXX is on your ignore list.

Hungry Seagull
February 26, 2009, 10:49 AM
The one thread I addressed this man whose Faith was a topic that he brought up as part of his post.

He also brought up being bullied etc and I did not address that, My solution was to learn to fight bullies and only after they have tried to bully and problem solved. This is school yard stuff. Not something a adult should worry about unless... they were being bullied again.

Then there is apparently a question of being good for CCW. I did not address that either because this person appears to have had alot on his mind that needs to be sorted before we go on.

You are free to report my posts to the mods at any time for any reason, the Mods are going to moderate and the world will roll on. No one is going to miss a few moderated posts or locked threads. Certainly not me.

So what was left was to address a failing society, and faith. And the only way I know to do that is to apply His Word in a manner that allows this person to go read and pray about it and resolve it so life can go on.

We did not have too much of a problem digesting guns in church recently or did not have too much trouble dealing with those who may or may not be mentally considering the basic fact that the bullet leave barrel and does not come back.

We are here to learn and maybe help others. If it takes Moderators to keep us civil and in line, so be it.

Zak Smith
February 26, 2009, 12:29 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/code-of-conduct.html
We have learned from bitter experience that discussions of abortion, religion and sexual orientation often degenerate into less-than-polite arguments or claims that "my God is better than your God". For this reason, we do not discuss such subjects on THR, and any threads dealing primarily with these subjects will be closed or deleted immediately. Threads which deal with other subjects, but which mention abortion, religion or sexual orientation as a side issue, may be allowed to continue, but will be closely scrutinized, and closed or deleted if they "cross the line".

Byron Quick
February 26, 2009, 01:55 PM
As Zak has noted we already have a policy to avoid many divisive topics. Including religion.

Threads which deal with other subjects, but which mention abortion, religion or sexual orientation as a side issue, may be allowed to continue, but will be closely scrutinized, and closed or deleted if they "cross the line".

Some threads mention these things and don't "cross the line" in the opinion of the moderators. Others don't show up on our radar as we cannot read every thread. That's what that little red triangle with the exclamation point in the lower left of each and every post is for..."REPORT POST." If you are concerned about a post then report it to a moderator. We will look at it. However, please be aware that we might let it be. If somebody posts that they went to church and then went out and bought a pistol in the parking lot from one of the deacons...it's not going to be locked.

rbernie
February 26, 2009, 02:18 PM
I thought that threads like the recent notice (advertisement) for a "Christian-Only Gun Forum" have been just as divisive as politics. Moderators often have to delete many posts.
Let's pull on this thread, via PMs if needed. I thought that the thread being referenced was a good example of keeping religion OUT of a thread, by keeping it focused on advertising an alternate RKBA forum and disallowing any discussion on the role of religion in the RKBA movement. It's no different than THR historically allowing references to the JPFO.

We can't pretend that religion doesn't exist. What we can do, and accomplish fairly well, is keep it from being the focus of the discussion.

If you enjoyed reading about "Suggestion: Moderate Faith-Related Discussion More" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!