Really Stupid of me

PDA

bikerdoc
February 26, 2009, 07:49 AM
:fire::cuss: Cant believe it, Spent countless hours making a set of custom scales for my BK-11. really nice oak, cutting, forming, sanding, refining, etc.
Almost ready to mount.
My fault I Left them on my work bench, and the 3 year old granddaughter thinks they look like milk bones and gives them to the rotty.
Anyone want a set of scales all chewed up and splintered:banghead:
URRRRRR, Starting over today!

If you enjoyed reading about "Really Stupid of me" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mp7
February 26, 2009, 08:15 AM
show us the pix, man!
(so we at least get a good laugh out of it)

Todd A
February 26, 2009, 09:35 AM
Hah ! That's funny.

You know you could wait. Becker/Ka-Bar should be coming out with micarta scales in a few months.

I've started to prep my BK11 in anticipation.Still a work in progress. I stripped it by hand and am working on the final hand polish bit by bit. Once it is all smooth and shiny I might give it an instant patina. Or maybe let it earn one on its own.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm99/toddma/100_0606.jpg

bikerdoc
February 26, 2009, 10:10 AM
Nice work Todd!!!! I like it!!

MP7 No pics. Creamated with the trash in the burn barrel. No evidence of stupidity exists-What scales? huh?where? What are you talking about?
No, not me.

hso
February 26, 2009, 02:22 PM
Owwww.

JShirley
February 26, 2009, 03:40 PM
That really sucks. :(

J

sm
February 26, 2009, 03:51 PM
I dunno,

This 3 year might be onto something. Make another set, and this time control the "chew", and then use some slick marketing words to sell these for 200-500% more than they are worth.

-Rotty for the guy with the shotty.

-Ultimate Extreme Rotty Grip.

-Rotty is in, Tactical Black and Coyote Brown is out.

-TEEM SEEL TEESTED Slober-pruf.

Dude! Its all about the marketing! If you build it, they will buy it.

Hey, do ten, and market as "Limited First Run" and kick that percentage up to 1000%.

Macmac
February 26, 2009, 05:43 PM
Oh yeah sure the "dog did it"

bikerdoc
February 26, 2009, 07:35 PM
Sm,
You are hereby appointed Director of Marketing with complete creative control.

Todd A
February 26, 2009, 09:07 PM
complete creative control.

Uhhh Ohhh...You got yourself in trouble now. Your gonna have to make some yella scales .:)

Speaking of trouble......I am guessing big bad Granpa Bikerdoc didn't even give the little darlin a cross look.;)

Admit it...she runs the house doesn't she...:D

sm
February 26, 2009, 10:14 PM
You are hereby appointed Director of Marketing with complete creative control.

No problem.

You should hear some of my ideas for when I become Dictator.

I am going to give a whole new meaning to SOP:

-Sarah Brady keeping the forge hot for those forging edged weapons and black powder firearm needs.

-Obama running the kiosk at the mall, selling bayonets and 30 rd mags.

-Pelosi giving distressed textures to kydex knife, and handgun sheaths

This is gonna be great!!

bikerdoc
February 26, 2009, 10:45 PM
Yes, Todd
You been talking to Nana,? and I quote "Stop spoiling her"

Yellow scales? how obvious, yes!
ssshhhh dont tell steve, it will be a surprise.

22lr
February 26, 2009, 11:01 PM
Yikes. I have to say though it is good for a laugh.

I think you might have something for a chewed texture, you could go further and patent the idea. If you think about it im sure bite marks are just as good as texturing, and it would looks really cool. LOL, well hey ive seen weirder stuff being marketed. Just call it a custom tactical and your ready to make a few hundred a piece.

sm
February 27, 2009, 12:06 AM
Actually...

A set of yeller handles that glow in the dark would not be bad option for a Becker Necker.

I am thinking of the Stayglow used by Victorinox on their Rescue Tool and Classic SD.

Becker Neckers are tough!
So Stayglow handles would be handy for those using these in settings where safety is a concern.
Health Safety Officers for instance often have protocol on knife use, and Stayglow would fit some of this criteria.

Heck, out on the property, camping, hiking...whatever and being able to keep up with a Becker Necker.
Ditto for a Krein Dogfish, Spyderco Mule , and other fixed blades, that do not come with handles

So I am thinking of handles that can be easily changed out.
Just use brass, or bronze screws, and use flat head screws, and not some goofy off the wall proprietary screw or fastener.

The ability to use a SAK , or just a regular flat screwdriver, - heck even a dime or a shell casing like a 45ACP , to inspect, maintain, even change out these glow in the dark handles would be a really smart way to go.

Okay...
Now that I have posted that idea, you folks remember I posted it first when someone steals it.

No, I never took a marketing course, but I did assist a gal in marketing in learning to shoot skeet
Oh, and I do subscribe to the marketing strategy of Trout & Reyes whom authored - Positioning: The Battle For Your Mind.

inclinebench
March 3, 2009, 03:43 PM
Ouch! Wait till she is a teenager, then get her back by following her around when she is on a date.

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt217/inclinebench/TodKnife_edited-1.jpg

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt217/inclinebench/SideViewKnife_edited-1.jpg

This is the first knife I made, and honest to goodness, I spent almost as much time on the scales as I did the blade. I used some cherry I had laying around. I sealed them by immersing the whole handle in a hot mixture of bees wax and boiled linseed oil.

bikerdoc
March 3, 2009, 05:15 PM
You sir do nice work.

Have cut new blanks and moving forward slowly. Lock them up when I leave the bench.

red_metallic
March 3, 2009, 07:10 PM
Oh, and I do subscribe to the marketing strategy of Trout & Reyes whom authored - Positioning: The Battle For Your Mind.

Never though I see this part of my bookshelf referenced. I am indeed in very good company!

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg128/DIY_audio/mkt101.jpg

inclinebench
March 4, 2009, 08:44 AM
Thanks. I enjoyed making that one. I plan on making more one day. I would really like to try a few more types of wood for my scales, but I do like the way that cherry turned out.

sm
March 4, 2009, 03:54 PM
Oh! Oh!

I like cherry wood handles!! I like that knife!

No, I never took a marketing class.
I do have experiences and observations, in wholesale, manufacturing, service,distribution, retail and whatever else ...
I had all those works, and the only one left is the Positioning one.

There is no need to follow a teenage daughter/ granddaughter around on the first date.

That is what those potty training pictures are for. Show them to the pimple faced dude that rings the doorbell, and is waiting for the young lady to "finally" come down stairs for her date.
She will be sooooo embarrassed, she will be afraid to go out in public, much less go out on a date.

If the young lady is a bit "head strong" , just take some other pictures to Kinco's and have a calendar made.
Let her know you had a calendar made with all those "soooo embarassed" moments.

Blackmail, bribery and cheating will outdo youth and skill any day of the week.

bikerdoc
March 4, 2009, 08:52 PM
Pimply faced dude better know how to shoot and sharpen a knife or im putting his butt on the curb

If you enjoyed reading about "Really Stupid of me" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!