Rem 700 recoil lug

PDA

Jerry D
February 26, 2009, 09:55 AM
Ok, I understand that the recoil lug goes between the barrel and the action.

It has this piece that drops down, I'm assuming it drops down into the action inletting and then you use some bedding material and it bed it in their real good, take it out let the bedding dry and then it will slide in nice and snug? When the rifle fires this lug will absorb the brunt of the recoil by pushing against a lot of stock material.

Anyhow the reason I ask is because I'm looking into a custom rifle, I'm really just learning the ropes and I have no previous experience with the rem 700's or custom actions based upon it. I see the surgeon action has this lug machined right into it, vs the predator and alpine actions don't even appear to come with a lug?

Do all actions come with this lug? or are you expected to find a used one from a rem 700?

If you enjoyed reading about "Rem 700 recoil lug" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
beatcop
February 26, 2009, 10:19 AM
Check out Brownells, they have standard, oversize, etc.

Horsemany
February 26, 2009, 11:26 AM
Jerry

The benefit of an action with a recoil lug is ease of manufacturing a strait, concentric action. It's not as easy to turn an action with a heavy lug at one end that tries to induce wobble.

On a very heavy African game type rifle it may be beneficial to have a lug that's an integral part of the receiver. Certainly the Remington design stems from ease of mfg. but you don't hear about failures of that design. Also noteworthy; most custom benchrest actions are refined versions of a 700, including the lug. Even on a factory 338 RUM the recoil lug offers no problems.

a-sheepdog
February 26, 2009, 11:39 AM
As far as I know, all bolt actions have some kind of a recoil lug system (limited knowledge on my part). If you want a larger/heavier lug, look into the Badger Ordnance heavy duty lugs.

NCsmitty
February 26, 2009, 01:10 PM
It's important to center the Rem lug to the action when installing a barrel. Midway and others sell a centering jig that does that.

NCsmitty

rcmodel
February 26, 2009, 01:16 PM
bed it in their real good, take it out let the bedding dry and then it will slide in nice and snug? Actually, you coat the barreled action with release agent, then put it into the stock & glass bedding epoxy.

Then let it cure completely hard.

Then take it out.

rc

Strongbad
February 26, 2009, 06:59 PM
I see the surgeon action has this lug machined right into it, vs the predator and alpine actions don't even appear to come with a lug?

The lug on the Predator action is pinned. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Rem 700 recoil lug" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!