1932 mosin 91/30

PDA

soldier147
February 26, 2009, 12:48 PM
Just picked mine up yesterday and did a good look over once again to be sure it was in the condition that I wanted. One thing that I should have checked was the bolt body. It seems that it doesn't sit flat and if you accidentally bump it, it flips up. Also it seems that it is rounded around the edges where it sits along the receiver. Is this a major problem? If it is, what would be the course of action to remedy the situation? I'll try to post some pictures later tonight to give a better idea on what I'm talking about.

If you enjoyed reading about "1932 mosin 91/30" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SimpleIsGood229
February 26, 2009, 01:54 PM
Pictures are needed, but what you describe sounds normal to me.

soldier147
February 26, 2009, 05:13 PM
Is the firing pin suppose to protrude from the bolt when it's opened?

General Geoff
February 26, 2009, 05:24 PM
No. Fortunately, that can be adjusted with a thin flathead screwdriver.

soldier147
February 26, 2009, 05:35 PM
General,

I guess what I was trying to say is that it looks like there isn't a firing pin in the bolt. The hole seems empty per say. I just hope I didn't get screwed. And if it is missing, how easy is it to get a replacement? I'm new to the Mosin community so please bear with me.

Funderb
February 26, 2009, 05:37 PM
is there something that resembles a straight slot screw in the back of the bolt?

btw, take the bolt out of the rifle and slowly pull and twist the back knob about 60deg counter clockwise,
the firing pin should protrude now when you "decock" the bolt like this.

and, three, these bolts are easy to open when cocked.

soldier147
February 26, 2009, 05:58 PM
Thanks Funderb, it does have one.......now going back to my first posting, is the bolt body suppose to sit flat and not have a lot of play in order to slide the bolt back? It seems to want to open up instead of staying flat, let's say for example, when getting ready to fire. My wife has the digicamera so pics will be on the way asap.

Funderb
February 27, 2009, 12:40 AM
see if the wood of the stock is getting in the way of the bolt, or if there are any burrs or abnormalities in the receiver. Pics are good, I can probably tell you more when you put them up. The bolt should be mostly 90 deg from vertical.

and like below, if you can move your bolt fore and aft in the locked position then you have some problems. Headspace normaly relies on the length of the forward lug, and you can replace that if you need. Not that a whole new bolt wouldn't cost too much, or a new rifle.

308sc
February 27, 2009, 12:40 AM
mine does this, but it takes a little force, If your bolt has alot of play i would get it headspaced before you shoot it, unless you already have

If you enjoyed reading about "1932 mosin 91/30" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!