Ed Brown,Wilson Combat or Les Baer

PDA

ge0624me
February 26, 2009, 02:37 PM
Its probably been asked 100 times, but just looking for some feed back from some 1911 semi-custom owners, especially those that own all 4 big name manufactures. Im leaning towards an Ed Brown Kobra in SS or dual color, but can some one give a reason i should be looking at a Wilson Combat or even a Les baer, or even a Custom Night hawk, ahhhh to many choices,...this will be my first Semi -custom. I kinda get the feeling that any of them mentioned are worth what they go for ,and it's more a preference and presonal taste of the appearance and extras etc...also before i forget, SS or Dou Tone FInish SS on BLK? THX in advance.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ed Brown,Wilson Combat or Les Baer" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
glocks rock
February 26, 2009, 07:14 PM
I personally like Les Baer. I've owned Baers anD wilsons and the Baers have ben my favorite. I like the Blued finish on the Baers and the super tight fit. Both of my Baers run 100% and are fit like a bank vault. The wilson wasn't tight at all but it was 100% reliable. I think it's just a personal prefrence .

schmeky
February 26, 2009, 07:54 PM
I think it may be difficult to find someone that has owned most of the top of the line 1911's.

After months of research and soul searching, I bought a Les Baer. I want to emphasis the comment about "bank vault" lock-up made by Glocks Rock, concerning Les Baers.

It is absolutely true. In fact, I'm going out on a limb by saying that even though a Les Baer is a 1911, it's a 1911 of a different genre. Les Baers have a totally different "feel" to them, almost not like a 1911.

CWL
February 26, 2009, 08:29 PM
Doesn't really matter which one you buy, they all have stellar reputations that have been earned.

If you were able to test similar samples of all 4, you probably wouldn't notice any difference in paper-shooting accuracy. The real difference will be what you add to the equation. Buy any of these guns and start taking defensive handgun classes so you can really learn how to operate it.

For carry, get black matte, for anything else -whatever floats your boat.

P7rancher
February 26, 2009, 08:44 PM
I am trying to answer the same question. Here is a thread I started a few days ago:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=430295

I plan on calling the dealer recommended and having a conversation. I am going to look closer at the Les Baer based on the replies on your thread.

P7:)

1911shooter
February 26, 2009, 09:28 PM
My vote goes to the Wilson i own 2 and am pretty biased though.

robctwo
February 26, 2009, 09:49 PM
I bought a Brown two tone executive target used, lnib. Great gun. Then found equally attractive deal on a 1.5" guarantee Les Baer PII. The Brown feels more refined. The Baer is more robust. The Baer has been slightly more accurate for me, but the Brown has come along with a new fiber optic front sight.

Go here and look under each manufacturer heading. http://forums.1911forum.com/

Jason_G
February 26, 2009, 11:41 PM
Disclaimer: I don't own any of these, so my post is worth exactly what you paid for it. :D

If I had my pick, it would be an Ed Brown Special Forces Carry, but I would very happily own any of the others mentioned as well.

Jason

kamagong
February 27, 2009, 12:35 AM
All four brands you mentioned make a great 1911, so it's hard to go wrong. I guess it depends on what you want. Although they are all 1911s, the guns from each maker feel different from one another because of the finishing touches that go into crafting a 1911. I don't care for the Wilson or Nighthawk guns because of the tactical styling these two outfits choose. I like Ed Brown or Les Baer more just on looks alone. That said, I prefer Baers because of the tank-like feeling that Baers have. Ed Browns in comparison feel a little sleeker. I know it sounds like rubbish, but try and handle the different makes, you'll see what I mean.

BENELLIMONTE
February 27, 2009, 12:46 AM
I only own the Les Baer Concept 2. But it is definitely built like the proverbial "brick **** house". It shoots way better than I can.

Ala Dan
February 27, 2009, 11:53 AM
My vote goes to Baer's Thunder Ranch Special 1911, of the blue steel
configuration. Boy, what a weapon- as it consistenly performs without
any issues. And, its tighter than Dicks Hat Band~! ;) :D

ge0624me
February 27, 2009, 05:39 PM
MAN, thx to all you guy's, so far it seems from the feedback so far, i need to be taking a closer look at the LES BAERS, !!!

Jim Watson
February 27, 2009, 05:44 PM
Check out the many posts and pictures by Bac1023 on Glocktalk.com
He is downright extravagant and has all the guns named and many more besides. Probably won't call any one "best" though, he likes - and can afford - all of them.

Supertac45
February 27, 2009, 07:19 PM
Les Baer.

IMTHDUKE
February 27, 2009, 07:27 PM
Only one I can tell you about is the Eddy Brown....it shoots like a shootin machine and is a joy to own and fire.
http://photos.gafana.com/photos/1526252790996509373973.share.jpg

sophijo
February 27, 2009, 09:47 PM
Fusion 1911's are worth a look. One reason is that you can get one with Ion Bond finish. I live in a damp climate and worried some about the blued Thunder Ranch so considered the Fusion. I thought about just having the Les Baer Ion Bonded but realized, with shipping etc, I was looking at $3-400. Anyway; some more info to muddy the waters!

theken206
February 27, 2009, 09:54 PM
Baer for the win

rbert0005
February 27, 2009, 09:59 PM
I see you like my Brown. The other side will be at the bottom.:)

I have owned the Brown, a few Baers, a Rock River, shot some Wilsons, handeled some Night hawks, own some Performance Center models, have some full house customs.

Out of all of them the Brown is the most refined. (finished) The Rock Rivers are just sweet, the Baers and the Nighthawks are like tanks. The Wilsons are great, just not my cup of tea, unless it is the black over grey two tone, OOOOO !!! The PC models (1911 and DK 38 Super) are just great shooters and will stand up to anyone elses.

They are all great, just comes down to what you like and are looking for.

Bobhttp://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/8414EB_Right.jpg

ge0624me
February 28, 2009, 12:36 AM
I see you like my Brown. The other side will be at the bottom.:)

I have owned the Brown, a few Baers, a Rock River, shot some Wilsons, handeled some Night hawks, own some Performance Center models, have some full house customs.

Out of all of them the Brown is the most refined. (finished) The Rock Rivers are just sweet, the Baers and the Nighthawks are like tanks. The Wilsons are great, just not my cup of tea, unless it is the black over grey two tone, OOOOO !!! The PC models (1911 and DK 38 Super) are just great shooters and will stand up to anyone elses.

They are all great, just comes down to what you like and are looking for.

Bobhttp://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/8414EB_Right.jpg

sorry i hope you dont mind to use your pic, anyways, i hope its a compliment to a very nice pistol, thx.

Throwingdown
February 28, 2009, 12:50 AM
I own a Brown Kobra carry and Special Forces. I have two friends who own Les Baers.
Bottom line is, they are all so close its like splitting hairs. Decide if you want full size, carry, blued or other and go from there. LB has a few models for un der 2K, the rest are going to tap the wallet.
I am not fond of the "tactical overkill" being pushed, I prefer the "classic" John Browning lines. Which means no front cocking serrations for me. I have had no problems with mine and both are more accurate than I am.

Schofield
February 28, 2009, 12:51 AM
ED BROWN for sure!!!

robctwo
February 28, 2009, 01:45 AM
I put the slim Dawson Precision fiber optic front sight on my PII when I had it refinished. Was out to the rifle range today and had some targets set up at 50 yards. The slimmer post makes sighting at 50 easier. Not sure that I like it as well for action pistol, the fiber is slimmer as well. Definitely nicer for distance shooting. I was hitting a 6" target with some regularity, certainly not every shot, two hand unsupported with 155 gr lswc.

I impressed the guys I was shooting with. They find 8" plates at 15 yards a challenge with their Glocks.

surjimmy
February 28, 2009, 01:46 AM
It's like Throwingdown say's their all so close. IMHO I think you get more for less money in the Les Baer. I own the PII and now the Concept II, but what really sold me is in the past 2 years I have called the Baer factory 7 times and have talked to Mr. Baer 4 of those times. The man answers his own phone. It may not be much but it was sooo nice not to have to punch 1.

benderx4
February 28, 2009, 02:42 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3569/3305088230_28858b1026.jpg?v=0

Need I say more?

All these guns are excellent, but after more than 12 months of research and first-hand experience, I gave the nod to the Les Baer.

In my mind, this gun gave me the most bang for the buck. (Pun intended.) Having said all this, I'm in the midst of working a deal for a Nighthawk Talon as well.

You won't go wrong with any of the brand names you mentioned. Don't forget the Springfield FBI Professional too!

ge0624me
February 28, 2009, 04:04 AM
Was out to the rifle range today and had some targets set up at 50 yards.

can i buy your magic gun instead? 50yrds woahhhh your the man....

ge0624me
February 28, 2009, 04:07 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3569/3305088230_28858b1026.jpg?v=0

Need I say more?

All these guns are excellent, but after more than 12 months of research and first-hand experience, I gave the nod to the Les Baer.

In my mind, this gun gave me the most bang for the buck. (Pun intended.) Having said all this, I'm in the midst of working a deal for a Nighthawk Talon as well.

You won't go wrong with any of the brand names you mentioned. Don't forget the Springfield FBI Professional too!
Way to represent, thats one awesome piece,see now i wish i could buy them all,which 'll probably end up doing that anyways, eventually.

trbon8r
February 28, 2009, 04:19 AM
To answer the original question, I would have to say none of the above. For the money I would rather take a bare bones $800 Colt XSE, and put a few bucks in it. Do an action job with real steel parts, dump the Series 80 firing pin safety junk and the stupid duck bill grip safety, add ramp and throat job and you are good to go. The only thing my Baer has over my Colt is a bit better accuracy, but the Colt is still plenty accurate.

mcwjr13
February 28, 2009, 04:41 AM
Find the features you want and order it, as benderx4 said you can't go wrong.

robctwo
February 28, 2009, 11:58 AM
Was out to the rifle range today and had some targets set up at 50 yards.

can i buy your magic gun instead? 50yrds woahhhh your the man....

No, but I am positive that you can buy one that is just as accurate. Lots of people are intimidated by 50 yards. It's really not that far. Even with my old eyes I can easily see the top and bottom edges of 8.5x11" paper. I print my targets on that, and sighting in is to center the post on the top edge of the paper and press the trigger. The slim post was installed let me see both sides of the paper. The original front sight covered the paper.

My understanding is that there is a formal competition where folks shoot pistols at 50 yards using only one hand. I got shooting pistols later in life and my arthritic right shoulder will not allow much practice with the bullseye stance.

ge0624me
February 28, 2009, 12:36 PM
To answer the original question, I would have to say none of the above. For the money I would rather take a bare bones $800 Colt XSE, and put a few bucks in it. Do an action job with real steel parts, dump the Series 80 firing pin safety junk and the stupid duck bill grip safety, add ramp and throat job and you are good to go. The only thing my Baer has over my Colt is a bit better accuracy, but the Colt is still plenty accurate.
first of all thx for replying, would'nt that cost a whole lot more when your done? custom checkering, refishing,the parts you mentioned, i mean i can install parts,tear em down rebuild & and fit to a certain degree, but im sure 70% is going to be out of house, cha ching $$$3500.00?

P7rancher
February 28, 2009, 09:49 PM
I have found the following site full of information. Look up each of the makes of guns you are considering and then the model.

I have learned a lot from this site and have begun narrowing down my choices. To me, when you get in the $2500 range, a few hundred more or less is not going to matter a year down the road when you have been enjoying the pistol. One thing not discussed much is resale. Not that I plan on buying a pistol and selling it (I rarely sell a gun) but research on resale does tell you something about the long term value/quality of a gun.

P7:)

http://forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31

ge0624me
March 2, 2009, 09:51 PM
Here's what i ended up going with, thk's to all of you for your info , at the end, my preference went to the EB KOBRA, here's the pic , picked her up on GB for $1600.00, could not beat the deal, cant wait to pick up from my FFL.:D

Jason_G
March 2, 2009, 10:00 PM
Congratulations on a hell of a pistol! Hopefully a range report will be soon to follow.

Jason

rbert0005
March 2, 2009, 10:05 PM
Great deal.

Enjoy,
Bob

ge0624me
March 2, 2009, 11:50 PM
thx guys, i'm really looking forward to getting my hands on it.

IMTHDUKE
March 2, 2009, 11:52 PM
She wont disappoint you.

MaterDei
March 3, 2009, 12:06 AM
Nice!!!

Mayo
March 3, 2009, 09:08 AM
You ended up picking the best of the 3. IMO, it is a little better overall.

benderx4
March 3, 2009, 10:19 AM
Congratulations on a fine weapon! Good deal, too! How about a few more pics!?!? Let us know how she shoots.

robctwo
March 3, 2009, 11:42 AM
Very nice. I bought the Ed Brown first as well. Shot the heck out of it. When I found a used lnib Baer PII 1.5" guarantee I was in a financial position to scratch the itch. In the not too distant future I'm hoping to be in a position to scratch the Wilson itch as well. Maybe something a little different than what I now own, like a Commander size Bobtailed 9mm with fixed sights.....

ge0624me
March 3, 2009, 12:50 PM
Very nice. I bought the Ed Brown first as well. Shot the heck out of it. When I found a used lnib Baer PII 1.5" guarantee I was in a financial position to scratch the itch. In the not too distant future I'm hoping to be in a position to scratch the Wilson itch as well. Maybe something a little different than what I now own, like a Commander size Bobtailed 9mm with fixed sights.....
you know it's funny , i did buy the EB, but just knowing how good the others are as well,i'll probably get the itch, down the road, as you can tell i love 1911s, and scaled down 3 of my production's to get this one, but there is still more where that came from.

ge0624me
March 3, 2009, 12:52 PM
you know it's funny , i did buy the EB, but just knowing how good the others are as well,i'll probably get the itch, down the road again im sure, as you can tell i love 1911s, it's like a disease, and scaled down 3 of my production's to get this one, but there is still more where that came from.

Moccw
March 3, 2009, 01:06 PM
Ed Brown, He is from the "Show Me State" and he shows it in his Craftsmanship........

CoRoMo
March 3, 2009, 02:09 PM
I can only wish and dream of that level of quality.:o

I'll go spit on my Springfield now.:(

ge0624me
March 3, 2009, 08:52 PM
I can only wish and dream of that level of quality.:o

I'll go spit on my Springfield now.:(

dont say that, i know your just joking, but really springfield makes ,damn good 1911's i own a couple of those 2...

Moccw
March 3, 2009, 09:54 PM
I can only wish and dream of that level of quality.

I'll go spit on my Springfield now.

Jason_G
March 3, 2009, 11:06 PM
I can only wish and dream of that level of quality.

I'll go spit on my Springfield now.

ROFL!!! :D

Jason

robctwo
March 4, 2009, 01:39 AM
My Springfield Loaded has Ed Brown ignition parts and usually runs a Ciener .22 top end. Last week at the range my friend's 12 yr old shot a few hundred rounds through it. He fell in love with the feel of the slim grips and the nice trigger. It's sad to ruin someone for other pistols so young, oh well.

casual
March 4, 2009, 05:30 PM
one more belated vote for the ed brown

good to see you made the right choice

in addition to being an excellent, refined gun, imo that kobra carry with the bobtail is the coolest looking piece ive ever seen

id wager that the distinctive look of the gun made the difference for you, b/c, as noted above, les baer and wilson are right there with quality craftmanship

and you got a great price

congrats

ge0624me
March 5, 2009, 12:13 AM
one more belated vote for the ed brown

good to see you made the right choice

in addition to being an excellent, refined gun, imo that kobra carry with the bobtail is the coolest looking piece ive ever seen

id wager that the distinctive look of the gun made the difference for you, b/c, as noted above, les baer and wilson are right there with quality craftmanship

and you got a great price

congrats
thx, yeah your right when you break it down it really went down to the sleek look and classy appearance of the EB.

robctwo
March 5, 2009, 02:04 AM
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e186/robctwo/DSCN0258.jpg

Just had my slide IonBonded. Put on a Les Baer fiber optic front sight. They're shooters. You got a great price.

ShadyScott999
March 5, 2009, 08:49 PM
When you are ready to see the light; Wilson!

http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu106/shadyscott999/Flare5inchCQB.jpg

Just kidding. Nice weapon.

ge0624me
March 5, 2009, 09:11 PM
when you are ready to see the light; wilson!

http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu106/shadyscott999/flare5inchcqb.jpg

just kidding. Nice weapon.

nice picture, very nice pistol!!!!

stonehenge69
March 5, 2009, 09:42 PM
I currently own all three. If I had to choose just one, it would definitely be the Baer.
No, the Wilson..... wait, I mean the Brown.

Seriously, you can't go wrong with any of them.
Each one has it's own personality.

http://www.geocities.com/inlinestroker/P1010049b900.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Ed Brown,Wilson Combat or Les Baer" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!