10/22 stock and barrel combos. Opinions?

PDA

Jmacalpine
February 26, 2009, 04:22 PM
hello all,

I recently cracked the birch factory stock on my 10/22 Carbine. Methinks it is an opportune time to upgrade a bit, and I was thinking about a synthetic stock/bull barrel combo package. Really just a plinking and small critter gun, so I dont want to spend too much. Say $150-200. Anybody have suggestions? rants or raves about your setup?

Thanks in advance

If you enjoyed reading about "10/22 stock and barrel combos. Opinions?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
desidog
February 26, 2009, 04:49 PM
I have a Hogue overmolded stock and a green mtn barrel on one of mine. This setup is around your price range, and works well.

If you want to drop more loot, there are a lot of cool aftermarket kits, that are mentioned in a bunch of threads here. I have the Krinkerplinker, which i upgraded with a SAW grip for my big mitts. Its a ton of fun, but not a target rifle.

Red Tornado
February 26, 2009, 04:58 PM
Check the ads on RFC. There are always guys upgrading repeatedly and barrels and stocks abound.
Mine's stock, so I don't really have any opinion.
RT

CZguy
February 26, 2009, 05:38 PM
I upgraded mine with the Deluxe checkered walnut stock.

Really nice. :)

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii299/badgerone/17T.jpg

dagger dog
February 26, 2009, 07:08 PM
Mine wears a Butler Creek 20" long .920" diameter Wydle chamber barrel, and the Butler creeK plastic pillar bedded stock . Was less than 140$. Will shoot one hole 10 shot groups @ 50 yds with premium ammo.
Not a looker but pop bottles and squirrels shudder when it shows its' ugly head!:what:

Daizee
February 27, 2009, 11:44 AM
I upgraded my friend's rifle and gave it back to him as a wedding present. It was all pre-ban tricked out, but not really an "adult" rifle and I think he was sort of embarrassed by the teenage mall-ninja appearance when he gave it to me.

I added:
1) Hogue OD Green overmolded stock (nice full-size rifle feel)
2) Butler Creek (I think) fluted bull barrel - 18 or 20", forget.
3) Volquartsen recoil pin/buffer
4) Nikon ProStaff fixed 4x scope

(he said it was the best wedding present and his bride thought it was cool too - I think he was sick of housewares ;-) )

We only got to shoot it a little bit that weekend, but it was pretty darn cool. The Hogue stock felt very nice to me. I don't like their revolver grips, but that rifle stock was good and inexpensive.

-Daizee

axeman_g
February 27, 2009, 12:59 PM
I also use the Hogue Overmolded, very nice, quiet stock. It will be very good for bunny hunting. I have a Addams and Bennett bull barrel on mine also. Using a rest, I easily get one raged hole groups at 50yds and can shoot very well at 100yds with a 3x9x40 Bushnell Banner scope, using Win Dynapoints or Fed Bulk. As of now, my gun does not like CCI or HV stuff.... dont know why yet.

It is a fun little carbine, lightweight and sound.

John Wayne
February 27, 2009, 01:03 PM
I believe someone (Butler Creek, Green Mountain?) sells a kit with a bull barrel and synthetic stock. Sounds like that would be the way to go, IIRC it was in the $150-200 price range. Lots of companies charge that just for the barrel.

OTOH, Ruger birch stocks are practically free...most people who upgrade the stock have no use for the birch one any more. Check eBay if you want to go that route.

If you enjoyed reading about "10/22 stock and barrel combos. Opinions?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!