AK mags

PDA

SsevenN
February 27, 2009, 12:10 PM
Hey guys,
I have a Romainian RPK imported by Century Arms. I was wondering what brand magazines it will accept? Everywhere I look there are great prices on Bulgarian Mags, but I don't want to buy them if they wont work in my Romainian RPK. Thanks in advance.

If you enjoyed reading about "AK mags" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SsevenN
March 2, 2009, 11:33 AM
Hmmm, nobody?

I know a bunch of you guys have Romainian AK's. Are there any brand magazines you know work, or would recommend?

Deer Hunter
March 2, 2009, 11:34 AM
As far as I understand, your standard east european mags should be fine. The bulgarians are good mags as well.

SsevenN
March 2, 2009, 11:50 AM
Thanks Deer Hunter. That's exactly what I was hoping for.

Hoppy590
March 2, 2009, 01:33 PM
For 7.62X39, any standard mag will work. you only run into problems with 5.56 (.223) mags and, i believe some 5.45 mags

Prince Yamato
March 2, 2009, 02:01 PM
When it comes to AKs, foreign steel is the best. All those surplus eastern mags are your cheapest and safest bets.

BTR
March 2, 2009, 02:03 PM
Your rifle probably started life as a single-stack gun that took special narrow 10 round magazines. Depending on how well it was milled out, some mags MAY fit better or worse than others. Trying different mags in the gun would not be a bad idea if possible. Magazine "wobble" is annoying, but does not really effect function.

As far as the quality of magazines goes: Any decently maintained military steel mag should be high quality. Polymer bulgarian waffle mags are also excellent. Commerical bulgarian mags (with the bullet design or no texture on the sides) are inferior in strength to military mags. All USA made mags are inferior in durability to military mags.

MD_Willington
March 2, 2009, 03:33 PM
Any steel COMBLOC mag

nalioth
March 2, 2009, 04:51 PM
You are already in trouble by thinking of "brands".

"Brands" are a US thing, and US made AK mags for the most part suck.

As has been mentioned, stick with commie milsurp/milspec mags (whether steel or polymer) (this does not include the new South Korean made 40 rounders - South Korea has never fielded an AK and these mags are of unknown quality at this time).

If you enjoyed reading about "AK mags" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!