First bolt action rifle questions and semi range report.

PDA

danweasel
February 27, 2009, 03:00 PM
Hi guys,

I just got a chance to fire my first rifle for the second time. It is a stevens 200 in .308 and I love it. It functioned perfectly even after it fell UNDER the snow in about 10 degree weather (don't ask). I put a bushnell 3-9 mildot scope on in with some crappy scope rings because they didn't have any leupold rings to fit. Guess what? The back ring broke! I don't remember what brand they were but they had crappy flathead screws to mount em so that should have been a sign right there I suppose.

Anyhow, I just wanted to say that I had a few 2" (3 shots only) groups at 120 yards or so (according to my highly suspect mil-dot math) using some south african battle ammo that a friend gave me because I would not eject out of his rifle. I also shot a few federal match 168s but I figured that I shouldn't waste 'em because this is my first time shooting a bolt gun and I pretty much suck at it. I hit a 18x18" target box at around 300 too but it fell over so I have no idea where it hit.

So I guess my questions are: What are some good scope mounts and rings for this rifle? Also, it there anything I should be wary of just starting out in the world of accurate shooting and/or with this rifle?

By the way I really like the scope, it is really clear and sharp looking for 100 bucks! Though I would like a mid range scope one day.

If you enjoyed reading about "First bolt action rifle questions and semi range report." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JDGray
February 27, 2009, 03:59 PM
Your groups will tighten up with the match ammo, thats for sure:D You can get a weaver base to span the bolt, and a set of Burris Extreme Tactical rings would never break.

You didn't say how you were shooting, off a bench?, prone in the snow? If you were just standing and shooting at 120yrds, and getting 2" groups, I'd say your doing very well!

danweasel
February 28, 2009, 01:55 PM
No I was shooting of the hood of my truck. I do want to get a bipod and shoot from the prone on a poncho or something.

Oh and thanks for the mount recomendations, JDGray.

Waffen tragen
February 28, 2009, 02:21 PM
I have had good sucess with Game Reaper mounts by DNZ products. They are one piece mounts. Leupold mounts are also great.

If you enjoyed reading about "First bolt action rifle questions and semi range report." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!