Ruger ranch rifle

PDA

JImbothefiveth
February 28, 2009, 12:46 AM
What's everyone think of the ruger ranch rifle? How accurate is it, how reliable, how convenient are the controls, and what's the trigger like?
Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger ranch rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jbkebert
February 28, 2009, 01:00 AM
I had a ranch rifle for a brief time a couple years back. The rifle was fairly accurate not sub-moa by any means. I could generally hold groups to about 1 3/4" at 100 yards. The trigger was not spectacular probably broke around 4-5 # range. I think really the only reason I sold it was 1 I got it for a hell of deal. The 2nd I had put a sightron red dot scope on it. The scope had a adjustable reticle where you could switch between 4 diffrent sights. Anyway I hated that scope for some reason. I sold it after 3-4 months for twice what I had in it. Otherwise I would still have it in my safe. All in all not a bad gun by any means.

MachIVshooter
February 28, 2009, 01:44 AM
2-3 MOA reliably with any ammo, 1.5 MOA with ammo it really likes. Reliability of my stainless has been excellent, especially considering that I only use aftermarket 30 rounders (USA and pro-mag). In point of fact, I don't remember the last time it jammed. COntrols are not as good as AR's, but if you don't mind trigger gaurd safeties and having to retract the bolt handle rather than push a release, they're OK. Triggers are gritty and fairly stout.

I decided to turn mine into an AC-556 wanna-be:

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/100_0380.jpg

cliffy
February 28, 2009, 02:05 AM
Accuracy wains due to quality control of parts manufacturing. Supposedly the newest one are more accurate. Designed as third world suppression armament, it seems they've served well. Never missing a heart-beat was the fort'e of this weapon. I never call a hunting firearm a "weapon," but this was the intentional design. With the current redesign, accuracy seemed a priorty, so the new Minis are claimed to be 1 M.O.A. in accuracy at 100 yards. I am finally considering the purchase of one. I'd re-stock it immediately and go from there accuracywise. Stocks seem an afterthought as available straight from the manufacturer. Love Ruger Model 77s, but a bit queasy regarding Mini-14s. Accuracy is my main concern. cliffy

yotesmoker
February 28, 2009, 08:27 AM
My mini-30 is my favorite go to gun for plinking,varmints,and just plain fun.Got several 10 and 30 rd mags that work.The only problem is keeping scopes alive on it.

Nhsport
February 28, 2009, 08:50 AM
I fully realise that some of these guns shoot decent and most all are very reliable but........
I bought a stainless ranch rifle years back when the stainless first came out (25+years back?).After I had my smith mess with the trigger it was still about 9 lb and this gun would never hold its shots in a 12" group at 50 yards.
Over the years I tried ammo from 40gr to 72 gr,factory and handloads, I tried slings,rests,bipods,scopes. I tried resting on the barrel,resting on the stock. I tried bedding the stock,I tried relieveing the stock.
This gun would sit in my safe and every couple of years I would drag it out and try some new "stuff" to try and get it to shoot a group instead of a pattern.
Over the years I owned this rifle I learned a lot about shooting , I could shoot some rifles pretty decent (even some mini's that belonged to other folks!) but this rifle was always a dog.

Bottom line is that they have poor triggers,hit or miss on the barrels, slim to none factory support, and few available accesories. Price of the new factory guns are crazy and we are supposed to cheer because Ruger finally decided to allow us peons to buy a magazine larger than 10 rounds.

sorterist
February 28, 2009, 09:15 AM
I own and reload for a 580 series Mini-14, and all and all am satisfied with it. It's not the most accurate rifle I own, but with it's pet handload, will shoot 3 shots under 2" from a cold barrel. As it heats up the groups tend to climb to the left. It is quite reliable, but one mistake I have made is not keeping brass sorted by brand, and letting some tracer brass from a lot I bought through Cabelas, get mixed up with the Ultramax and Win. brass, I had bought. This is my fun gun and I have 3 30 round magazines, I take it to BLM range to warm it up while my Weatherbys cool down.

ArmedBear
February 28, 2009, 09:20 AM
I own and reload for a 580 series Mini-14

I bow before you in admiration.

How do you find all your spent brass?:D

Serously: I have a Ranch Rifle, a few years old, before they upped the accuracy. It's a great-handling, reliable gun. I'd definitely trust it over my AR to go bang, especially if the guns haven't been babied.

I like it a lot. Accurate enough for iron sights, and the new ones are supposed to be better.

One thing: they tend to be louder than you'd expect.

dagger dog
February 28, 2009, 09:45 AM
The Mini I own performs exactly as is was designed, dead reliable would trust my life on it and I do , it is my home defense weapon,fast to get onto action, trigger group built on battlefeild proven design, can be feild stripped with just a bullet, accurate enough to be in the hands of the persons that guard our saftey (local police departments and prisons), so they must be accurate enough to fill that calling. .

Things would like to see Ruger incorperate into the Mini:cuss:

1. A .920 "diameter true heavy bbl. option for those wanting pinpoint accuracy, with caliber options.

2. Magazine well redesigned to accept AR magazines MIL SPEC

3. adjustable gas block:

I get tired of chasing brass that pitched into the next county and having my eyeballs bounce around in my skull when the op rod slams into the back of the reciever:what:.

This being done I would gladly up the extra bucks for another Mini Ranch:D

Rexster
March 1, 2009, 04:06 AM
Accurate enough for a utility rifle, 100% reliable thus far for me and the fellow Mini owners I know personally, VERY convenient controls compared to an AR15, and the trigger, is, well, not good compared to a target rifle, but fine for a utility rifle, IMHO.

I should add that I shoot mostly lefty with rifles, due to being left-eye-dominant, and the Mini's safety is truly ambidextrous, and actually just a bit easier for a lefty to reach than a rightie. The mag release is truly ambidextrous. The charging handle is on the right side, of course, but the Mini is a light rifle, so either hand can be used on the charging handle quite handily from either shoulder. The AR15's charging handle is distinctly less convenient for ambi use, and to me, at least, less convenient to reach, regardless.

The Mini's trigger is a rugged military-style trigger. Not all Minis will have equally "good" triggers, but my Minis both have triggers far better than my first Colt AR15, and better than most AKs I have handled. There is take-up, then a clean-enough break. Kind of like a Glock trigger, in principle, if not mechanically.

I will add that I recently learned that older Minis will not drop their magazines freely; my 580-series Minis will do so. One of my co-workers, who owns an older Mini, was quite tickled and happy to learn this when looking at one of my Minis.

Just to be clear, all 580-series Minis are Ranch Rifles. It is just easier to type "Mini" than the longer term; both of mine are 580-series. Neither of mine are scoped, and I rarely go near formal rifle ranges, much less use bench rests, so I will let those who worry about MOA comment on MOAs. Minute-of-bleach jug, and minute-of-felon, are my concerns. I have been looking at optics lately; perhaps someday soon I will know what my Minis are capable of doing in the accuracy department. I am looking into suitable scopes because my eyes are getting old, not because I think Minis are target rifles, though I did recently examine a Mini with one of those factory bull barrels, which made me smile.

blacksmithsc
March 1, 2009, 08:47 AM
I think the barrel is the weak point on them, too darn thin. Ours would start out shooting fine, but as the barrel warmed up, the shots would move to the right. It cycled just fine, and never had any FTFs or FTEs, no matter what ammo we put in it. We thought about having another barrel put on it, and there's a company that specializes in this, but the wait was something like a year to get it back.

Omaha-BeenGlockin
March 1, 2009, 09:33 AM
All the new 580 Mini's now come with a beefier barrel.

mainmech48
March 1, 2009, 11:30 AM
My only gripe with my older 'K' Mini-30 is that it's been a huge hassle to acquire 5 20-rd. mags that'll work anywhere near as reliably as the factory 5-rd. I had to go through several dozen to do so.

I'm hopeful that Ruger will eventually produce 20 rd. mags for the Mini 30 now that they've reintroduced a factory 20-rd. unit for the NRA Mini-14 which they claim will become a standard option once the special run rifles are sold.

Now that the Ruger family isn't directing the company's course we're seeing some promising things like the SR9 and LCP which almost certainly wouldn't have been produced under the original regime.

Given sturdy, reliable magazines of reasonable capacity my Mini would replace my SKSes as my SHTF go-to in a heartbeat. It's much lighter, handles better and is at least as accurate.

DAdams
March 1, 2009, 01:11 PM
Go visit Perfect Union.com and check out the Ruger Mini 14 sections.

http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=86

black_powder_Rob
March 1, 2009, 01:14 PM
love my mini, keeps a baseball size grouping with me behind the sights at 100 yards. i got lucky too, i got mine when they were offering a free 20 round mag with purchase, i also picked up 2 more mags for $20 a piece from the factory. This was pre-election. of course now they went back up to $40 a piece. I hope they come down again soon.

almost forgot to mention i use iron sight, no scope. Would be nice to see what it could do with one though.

krs
March 1, 2009, 01:57 PM
The trigger is an easy one to improve, the rifle shoots OK. They're very magazine sensitive so buying the cheap ones won't work in your favor, or is at best a hit-or-miss proposition. The problem is the placement of the locking hole at the front of the mag and the shelf for the latch at the back. There's been a lot of junk magazines on the market that won't stay up in the well because they miss latching in for either of the reasons given.

I've loved the darned things since they came out. I buy one, keep it a while, then sell it saying "never again". But before long I'll find another one in some deal or another and buy it. Their simplicity makes me happy. Like in "Happy Folks". :D

husker
March 1, 2009, 06:40 PM
my mini shoots great, 1 down the middle one to the left one to the right, opps that one didnt even hit the paper, i always take it with me when i check my traps. its the best club thats ever clubed a animal caught in a trap. i just love the tight grip i get on the end of barrel before i club a coon in the head with the butt stock.

wally
March 1, 2009, 07:02 PM
I think for a light and handy carbine it makes a lot more sense than the M1 Carbine, and like the M1, getting 30 round mags that work can be problematic.

--wally.

JImbothefiveth
March 1, 2009, 11:55 PM
none factory support
You tried calling Ruger, and they wouldn't do anything about it, correct?

The new ones are more accurate
Will these still be reliable?

FMJMIKE
March 2, 2009, 10:02 PM
I love mine...............both of them................:D........580 Series with heavy barrel....
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/mbmphoto/Mini14A.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/mbmphoto/MiniSS1.jpg

Defense Minister
March 2, 2009, 10:15 PM
I have a stainless Ranch Rifle, and I love it! It has never failed to function, and I know I can trust my life to it. I hear the new ones have a heavier barrel, which should improve accuracy a bit. However, whether you get a new one or an older used one, I would highly recommend polishing the necessary parts in the trigger group, and installing a smaller gas bushing.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger ranch rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!