How often do you clean your knifes?

PDA

KevinAbbeyTech
February 28, 2009, 03:02 AM
How often do you clean your folding knifes?

Do you wait until the action isn't working right, or do you have a regular procedure?

If you enjoyed reading about "How often do you clean your knifes?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JLaw
February 28, 2009, 09:54 AM
I clean them every time I sharpen them, which is usually once a week or so.

JLaw

hso
February 28, 2009, 10:16 AM
No regular schedule. If I happen to notice they need cleaning I will or if I've done something particularly "icky" I will.

KevinAbbeyTech
February 28, 2009, 02:07 PM
I was asking because, as you may know, I carry a Kershaw Chive 1600 as my light use knife.

I took it apart yesterday, and cleaned all the gunk out of it.
The thing uses #4 Torx Screws, good luck trying to find that driver at your local hardware store.

I took it completely apart and cleaned it for the second time in 2 months.

It really improves the action on the knife every time, but I was trying to decide if I was being OCD. LOL

JohnBT
March 1, 2009, 11:39 AM
I'm always sticking my Sebenza under the faucet or hose, or swishing it around in the river or ocean. Oh, you mean detail cleaning. Uh, never. I suppose it could use a new dab of waterproof grease. I think it's about 10 years old.

I keep thinking I'll send it back for a refinish, but never do. If it wasn't for all the scratches and dings it'd be too smooth to hang on to.

John

mole
March 1, 2009, 02:14 PM
I use my pocketknife a good bit for preparing food and I wash mine afterwards, so about two or three times a week. I just give them a light scrubbing with a toothbrush and soapy water.

travistheone
March 1, 2009, 02:25 PM
irregularly. once a month or so, depending on use. For the past few years I have carried exclusively fixed blades.

red_metallic
March 2, 2009, 09:23 AM
Usually when I sharpen I'll inspect it.

If I notice that the blade is binding in the handle in-between I will do the big cleaning w/ bristle brush & then graphite lube.

CWL
March 2, 2009, 01:15 PM
I clean them only if they get dirty, but I do try and blow the lint out of them every couple of days.

TMM
March 2, 2009, 01:28 PM
when the pigsticker doesn't open well, i take it apart and clean every single part, re-assemble with blue-lube oil. when i sharpen i take pains to never let the used cutting oil go into the works... i don't want to imagine what happens to the bushings and whatnot with steel and carborundum grit...

tmm

If you enjoyed reading about "How often do you clean your knifes?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!