Quad rail for 308 dpms sportical handgaurd

PDA

skidooman603
February 28, 2009, 06:27 AM
Bought quad rail handgaurd advertised at 6.5in. Great price and a few freebies with it even. Shows up and looks great but a .25 too long. Crap. Lip to Lip measures 6.75 in. Now hassle to send back yada yada. Anybody out there buy a quad for a DPMS sportical? Where? Seems this gaurd is shorter than most. Alot of 8.5in or 12in out there.

If you enjoyed reading about "Quad rail for 308 dpms sportical handgaurd" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Lloyd Smale
February 28, 2009, 10:16 AM
arent the gas blocks on a sportical just set screwed in place. Why cant you move the gas block forward a touch and open it up so i still lines up with your gas port? Only other problem i could see is your gas tube not being long enough but you should be able to find one that is.

skidooman603
February 28, 2009, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the reply. Kind of an AR newbie so not really sure bout the gas block. Have to look again.

JWarren
February 28, 2009, 01:28 PM
I sent a PM, but I thought I'd throw this out at the thread.

At worst-- meaning if the gas block cannot be moved-- I'd replace the gas block with a low-profile one.

CMMG makes a micro gas block that I think is pinned on. However, the PRI low-profile gas block uses set-screws just like the standard LR-308 gas block.

This would allow the gas block not to interfer with the forearm at all.

I just traded out of my LR-308 24" upper for a 18" LR-308B upper and I am doing this exact thing in order to build mine back up into a Reece-configuration.

-- John

skidooman603
February 28, 2009, 02:12 PM
This quad rail is just so close to fitting and didn't know if the gas block could just be nudged .15 in closer to the muzzle. Don't know much about them and if a little movement was possible. Thanks John.

JWarren
February 28, 2009, 02:46 PM
No problem.

I agree with you on it seeming to be doable. That 0.15 isn't a lot.

Try this...

Loosen the set-screws and tap it into position that you need it to be. Tighten the set-screws and go test fire it.

If it works, you are golden. The problem is solved.
If you have a single-shot rifle, you have a problem with the gas port and the gas block not lining up properly.

That COULD be fixed with opening up the gas block some. That may take some work or special tools. I MAY be able to get one of my dremel tips in there on mine, but it would be a task.

I think I'd go the low-profile route ONLY if you find that you have issues after tapping the gas block forward.

Let us know what happens. It could probably help some of us with our projects WHEN we run into issues.

-- John

skidooman603
February 28, 2009, 05:13 PM
Gotcha! Once I get the Quad Rail on I should be able to put Gas Block back almost to original position. Thanks again for the support. Really want to keep this hand gaurd

krs
February 28, 2009, 08:10 PM
You can't trim back the quad rail, maybe 1/8" each end? Seems to me that the maker might have deliberately made it long so that it could be trimmed to fit whatever gas block a buyer uses.

skidooman603
March 2, 2009, 09:13 AM
Success. The gasblock moved a tad and I'm quite sure .15in will not be enough to affect function. Looks awesome! Able to mount tactical light and fore grip now. Project complete!

If you enjoyed reading about "Quad rail for 308 dpms sportical handgaurd" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!