Sunny Hill 9mm Carbine

PDA

brianr23
February 28, 2009, 07:45 AM
Does anyone know anything about these? They look interesting, but I haven't heard anything about them.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sunny Hill 9mm Carbine" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Walkalong
February 28, 2009, 09:35 AM
Yea. Interesting. I saw one on GB. I know nothing about them though, sorry. I believe money would be better spent on a Marlin Camp Nine myself than some unknown gun.

Fred Fuller
February 28, 2009, 09:40 AM
First I've heard of it.

One regional dealer has them listed at about $600, per his forum... http://www.edsgunshop.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1731

http://www.edsgunshop.com/ for the ad.

Seems kinda expensive for a 9mm carbine to me... but even HiPoint 995s are over $200 now.

lpl

brianr23
February 28, 2009, 09:51 AM
Im thinking about getting a 9mm carbine and just ran across this. I agree, I am very hesitant about an unknown product and the price.

pgeleven
February 28, 2009, 01:12 PM
looks like an AR, UZI and MP-40 had a lovechild.

JonVitoSal
March 7, 2009, 06:53 PM
I googled the company Sunny-Hill Enterprises, in Wi. This appears to be a very experienced old company in fire arm precision custom parts. I bought the 9mm Carbine recently over a Kel-Tek 9mm,$299, and Masterpiece Arms $ 529.00. The balance on the Sunny-Hill is much better, and the sights are clear and they actually promote better focus. I got 2 32 round 9mm uzi type clips, and the stock has 2 postiions, both are very comfortable. The next step is to test out a few magazines. The 9mm is fairly cheap in my part of the US to shoot, and indoor ranges allow you to shoot anything that takes a handgun load.
JVS

nwilliams
March 7, 2009, 07:27 PM
Yeah but....It's kinda hideous looking:scrutiny:

Reminds me of something out of a cartoon:D

cpl0724
March 10, 2009, 08:47 PM
I just bought one, so far I am very pleased with the quality, I hope to take it to the range this weekend!!

drgrenthum
March 10, 2009, 09:15 PM
hmmmm..... 2 brand new, first post thr's with positive reviews....This isnt secretly an ad is it?????

telomerase
March 10, 2009, 09:20 PM
This isnt secretly an ad is it?????

Well, it isn't secretly anyway :rolleyes:

...a clever ad would have posted negative reviews... thus successfully impersonating a real THR post :D

JonVitoSal
March 11, 2009, 06:22 PM
I haven't seen any brochures on the gun, so I thought my thoughts would help.

gotime242
March 11, 2009, 06:56 PM
Looks like its made of cardboard.

brianr23
March 11, 2009, 09:14 PM
I never intended this post to be an Advertisment. I had no knowledge of the product and was hesitant to purchase something that I was not informed about. I just asked. Thats all, nothing else. I didn't purchase the product and I have no experience with it.

Prince Yamato
March 11, 2009, 09:41 PM
Sunny Hill is (apparently) one of the largest makers of trigger guard assemblies.

Their carbine looks like a direct blowback closed-bolt. It takes Uzi mags. If this were 1984, we'd find a whole bunch of those in the MG registry for cheap.

I just bought one, so far I am very pleased with the quality, I hope to take it to the range this weekend!!

Post pics please.

cpl0724
March 11, 2009, 10:50 PM
An Ad???? Do not be so paranoid. I found this thread "googling" for the gun, and was just trying to see what experiences were like. I have been just a reader since 11/08, along with many other forums. I will post pics this weekend. Made of cardboard??? It may not be a $3000 sig ar-15, but that is not what I was looking for. I cannot wait to take it to the range. I will post pics and range report for those interested.

JonVitoSal
March 15, 2009, 10:10 AM
Gun Fails Big Time, won't shoot. Beware. I took my Sunny-Hill 9mm Carbine to the range Saturday 9/14/2009 with bad results. My first magazine was loaded with 24 rounds of standard 9mm Luger. At 50 yards I missed the target completely. Thus needing a Sight In Session. Before Sighting In I went to 25 yards, and was extremely better. I had center groupings, but 3" left, then ************Nothing******** the gun just flat out wouldn't fire. Checked the magazines, rounds loaded, but still no firing. ********** Took the gun back to my dealer who said he hoped the manufacturer would honor a warranty. He was unsure if they would, which then would have to be referred to their gun smith. If they couldn't get the Sunny-Hill 9mm to shoot, then and only then would the dealer give me a complete credit on my purchase. I called Sunn-Hill direct, only to get a voice message they were on vacation. I left a voice mail, and emaled them to. No response yet. **KIND A MAKES YOU WANT TO STAY WITH THOSE OLD RELIABLES, Ruger, Smith, Remington, Winchester, etc. $600 lesson not needed here, but got anyway.

Schleprok62
March 15, 2009, 11:46 AM
Beware. I took my Sunny-Hill 9mm Carbine to the range Saturday 9/14/2009 with bad results.

Wow... this guy went into the future to shoot his... LOL...

kirkcdl
March 15, 2009, 12:02 PM
Don't bash the guy just because he drives a DeLorean...

feedthehogs
March 15, 2009, 12:07 PM
I guess your experience with firearms is low as far as the technical prowess.

No mention if the round chambered had primer hits from the firing pin which could narrow it down.

And after 5 shots and not hitting the target, one would stop shooting and check for site adjustment.

It would be good to find out exactly what happened and post any proven and known technical issues before the BEWARE signs go up, rather than pulled trigger and no bangy.

offthepaper
March 15, 2009, 12:35 PM
Hmmmm.
Makes the Hi Points look pretty good. :eek:

Schleprok62
March 15, 2009, 12:36 PM
feedthehogs: I agree 100%...

Well, here's where I'm at... I'm looking at the 9mm carbines with a bit of interest... and this being a rather new product to the market, I would expect a few growing pains with it... But also, if the manufacturer is worth their salt, they will know and understand and be very direct at correcting any issues that pop up with their product.

cheers...

telomerase
March 15, 2009, 12:53 PM
Gun Fails Big Time, won't shoot. Beware.

There, now that's the way to raise interest in your product! :D

In all seriousness, the manufacturer will probably fix it. Ask them.

this guy went into the future to shoot

Google Dr. Tipler's paper, "Large Rotating Cylinders and the Possibility of Global Causality Violation". No reason you can't travel through time... you just need really big cylinders. (No, they won't fit in a DeLorean).

Mike U.
March 15, 2009, 09:34 PM
(No, they won't fit in a DeLorean).

Hows about an Escalade or one of them tank-car Hummers?

Hi-Point needs to get off the fence and get this .45 carbine out already.
Pappa needs a .45 ACP carbine he can afford.:)

S. Hill
March 16, 2009, 04:37 PM
I was alerted to the fact that people here were discussing the 9mm carbine that we are making. Looking through the posts, and at the review by the new owner, I would like to add a couple of things.

1. There is a 2 year “Parts and Labor” warranty on these rifles.

2. Considering that the brave souls who took a chance on the first production run may have a couple of problems, I would say that the warranty may well extend beyond those 2 years. We want the feedback from them so that we can continue to improve the product.

3. I was out of the office when the customer had the problem. I have since contacted him to offer our assistance to get his carbine back up and running. The same policy is in effect to any of our customers.

My guess, after reading his post, is that the tip of the firing pin broke. We have modified the profile of the pin in an attempt to increase the strength at that critical area.

drgrenthum
March 16, 2009, 06:29 PM
hey now it is an ad j/k :)
Good to hear they are taking care of their customers. I look forward to hearing johnvitosal's next range report.

S. Hill
March 16, 2009, 10:40 PM
Nah, if it were an ad, I would have ended it with the phrase, ".... and I think you all should buy one!" :D

JonVitoSal
March 17, 2009, 05:01 PM
Any company that's worth it's salt takes ownership for their products, and that's exactly what they've done with my 9mm carbine. I do want to say a 2 year waranty was good news. I contacted Sunny-Hill direct last week while they were on vacation, and they did respond today about the firing pin on the 9mm carbine needing to be replaced. That being said, the Sunny-Hill company needs a break here, and I am offering a recomendation, despite the firing pin issue. I hope we soon see a catalogue of additional products.:p

JonVitoSal
March 26, 2009, 04:52 PM
I'm the guy that had an issue, and Sunny Hill has the KBB 9mm now. They sure have communicated alot with me personally to service the gun. I'm looking forward to getting it back, and having another test run. As I mentioned before, the first full magazine was great.:)

abajaj11
April 20, 2009, 10:48 AM
I bought one from them recently.
Put 200 rnds through it so far.
No problems at all. A little more accurate than most other 9mm carbines (hi point, etc).
Nice value for the money. Little heavy trigger but hopefully will smoothen with use (or I may smoothen it myself).
Only thing is, if there is a round in the chamber (one of my lead reloads) , pulling the bolt may not extract it sometimes, got to fire it out and then the brass extracts fine automatically.

Very well made. Love the receiver and the bolt /firing pin assembly. love the rail on the receiver. Quality stuff.
Great design idea: Can strip it without tools.
Much much betterquality parts than say a hi point or a keltec.
Oh: no slidelock: they did that to cut costs. But mags drop free.
Happy I bought it.
Recommend it.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
April 20, 2009, 05:04 PM
My eyes; MY EYES!!! :uhoh:

dmckean44
April 20, 2009, 10:28 PM
If only someone could combine the carbine with this stock we'd have one of the ugliest long arms in existence.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=93565&d=1235825094
http://www.californiarifles.com/images/riflesfull.jpg

Pack
April 20, 2009, 11:32 PM
I've never seen a stock like the ones pictured above on the ARs. What are they?

Am I a moron for asking - what possible purpose could they serve?

dmckean44
April 20, 2009, 11:40 PM
They're made to skirt the California AW ban which doesn't allow pistol grips or thumbhole stocks.

gimlet1/21
April 21, 2009, 12:00 AM
A 9mm carbine that I can recomend is Ket-tec sub 2000, took mine to the range saturday and ran 300 round through it with out a mishap. easy to sight in and was getting nice groups at 75 yds (fist) and hand sized groups at 100 yds. My 12 year old son did very well with it, minimal recoil, and was able to get excellent groups. I may look into a low power sight for it. also regret using the cheap walmart ammo( blazer brass) if we ever get back to a ammo rich inviroment I'd like to try some quality loads. $300 well spent

gimlet1/21
April 21, 2009, 12:03 AM
The KT is also a good looking weapon

Pack
April 21, 2009, 12:16 AM
DMCKEAN44,

Thank you. I had no idea that such a problem/solution existed. I'd seen some bushmasters with a fixed magazine, where you actually opened the upper receiver as if it were just a top cover, and loaded rounds into to the rifle individually or from stripper clips. I thought that was bad enough. I wonder what possible rationale they could have for the pistol grip/thumbhole business... (I probably just answered my own question - there isn't any reasoning going on, period.

I'm sorry to hear that this is what some of our fellow Americans have to deal with.

I was originally going to make some joke aimed at the gun banners about these stocks being the shoulder things that go up (though patently NOT a barrel shroud)...

I had no idea it was in reality the result of some silly regulation. :banghead:

Carne Frio
April 21, 2009, 11:32 AM
For S. Hill. Any chance you could make that critter in 10mm and take Glock mags ? I would buy two of them.

abajaj11
April 23, 2009, 11:39 PM
I fired the keltec 9mm with glock mags that a range buddy had the same day I fired my sunny hill. So I could do a comparison of fit anf finish etc. THe keltec is good for what it is: a cheap truck gun with a lot of plastic and poor finish (but good functionality).
The sunny hill is a totally different firearm in a different league altogether in terms of quality, fit and finish.
IMHO, keltec 2000s at $299 are a good deal, but at current rates of $400 plus are overpriced. THe sunny hill is fairly priced and actually quite economical, when you look at its fit and finish and quality.
Oh, and I am not a snob. I like the hipoint 9mms I have shot too. They are good value but again nowhere in the same league as the sunny hill carbine.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sunny Hill 9mm Carbine" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!